ShotGun News article.

PDA

makdaddy03
January 28, 2003, 01:20 PM
Have any of you seen or read the the article in the Shotgun News Feb.3 2003 titled " Don't Let IGNORANCE Turn You Into A FELON"? I feel that this is a must read for all firearm owners. Checkout the piece about the Ruger 10/22 semi auto rifle. It got my attention. Darn good thing I saw this article before I bought the stock. I guess I have to keep the 10/22 plainjane.

If you enjoyed reading about "ShotGun News article." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cslinger
January 28, 2003, 02:06 PM
I don't have a SGN handy and I am curious What was the scoop on the 10/22? Folding stock, full auto, what? I mean it is legal to change triggers, stocks, sights, use pre-ban magazines etc.....isn't it?

Mine is bone stock except for a preban magazine so I am not worried, just curious.

Chris.

Hkmp5sd
January 28, 2003, 03:39 PM
As for the 10/22, it states that for a 10/22 to be considered a pre-ban assault rifle, it had to have been in that configuration on the date of enactment. It says that if you own a 10/22 made before the ban and a folding stock made before the ban, if they were not assembled into a complete rifle in '94, you cannot now put them together. This is correct.

They then say that if you in fact do have a pre-ban 10/22 with appropriate folding stock, the burden of proof falls on the owner to show they really were assembled into a AW rifle back in '94.

Not too sure about that one.

Peetmoss
January 28, 2003, 04:06 PM
I think what the poster was eluding to is that you can turn your 10/22 plinker into an "Assualt Weapon" with some of the accessories offerd. Doing this would make you an instant felon if it wasn't so configured before 9-13-94. Say a folding stock with a pistol grip protruding conspicusly from the rifle.

cslinger
January 28, 2003, 04:09 PM
Ok, so how do you prove or disprove the configuration. I mean short of having a notarized picture or something.

If one has a pre ban folding stock and a pre ban 10/22 there is absolutely no way to tell if it was assembled that way at the time of the ban or not. At least that is the way I see it.

Makes no nevermind to me as I personally find folding stock 10/22s pretty darn ugly, now that international stock is something I could get into.

Just curious. I guess it depends on your local ATF at whatever time and place on how much trouble they give you.....typical.

Man I wish we would spend more time on preventing or prosecuting actual CRIME. You know more cops on the beat, actual punishment when you hurt, kill or rob somebody....you know those things that actually make sense.

Thanks for the update.

Chris

Jeff White
January 28, 2003, 04:32 PM
This goes against an earlier finding that if you had the rifle and the parts prior to the ban it was considered pre-ban.

According to a friend who worked at Olympic Arms at the time, the BATF came in and counted receivers and parts. Any receiver they had the parts to assemble was a pre-ban. I thought laws couldn't be vague and still meet the constitutional standard?

What's the countdown until this ingorance sunsets?

Jeff

Loach
January 28, 2003, 05:10 PM
An excellent read. It really clearly points out many of the problems and ambiguities with the current laws. A good friend of mine is just getting into the shooting sports and just bought his first non-blackpowder long gun (a Yugo SKS) and he had a ton of questions about what mods were legal and which weren't. I just pointed him to the article.

gun-fucious
January 28, 2003, 05:15 PM
heres the countdown:
http://www.awbansunset.com/
T-594:07:45

Hkmp5sd
January 28, 2003, 07:35 PM
The real grey area is in the area of AR-15 receivers. As usual, ATF states that even if you own the parts, if they were not assembled prior to '94 ban, you cannot now assemble a preban configuration.

They have also stated that if a person does have a complete preban AR-15 and takes that rifle apart and sells only that stripped receiver to another person, that person cannot acquire the other parts and make an AR-15 in a preban configuration.

However, the assault weapon ban law states that (30) The term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means -(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as -

(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
(iv) Colt AR-15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

Since ATF considers a receiver to be a firearm and the law specifically names all Colt AR-15's and copies or duplicates as assault weapons, all AR-15 type rifles and receivers in existance at that time are by definition Pre-ban assault rifles, regardless of their physical configuration at the time of the ban.

If you enjoyed reading about "ShotGun News article." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!