FEG Hi-Power or Taurus 92

PDA

Hunterdad
November 13, 2011, 06:44 PM
Looking for a 9mm and this is what I have it down to. They are both very close in price and both show some wear as well. I don't really care how it looks, as long as it functions as it should. So.....Hi-Power or 92? Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

If you enjoyed reading about "FEG Hi-Power or Taurus 92" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
W.E.G.
November 13, 2011, 06:52 PM
I hate the way the "muzzle bushing" looks on the FEG HiPower.
What sloppy work.
That rough, flared cone of metal does not work for my taste.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/FEGmuzzle2.jpg

I prefer the smooth attention to detail applied by the Belgians.
Too bad they let a Frenchman use it.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Browning%20HiPower/BHPmuzzleding1.jpg

I just cannot get an un-buggered Hi-Power.

rule303
November 13, 2011, 06:53 PM
Either one is a good gun, I personally would get the Taurus. Mine is probably my favorite shooter, I like it enough that I sold my Beretta 92FS.

tekarra
November 13, 2011, 07:23 PM
Both are good pistols; buy the one that best fits your hand.

Hunterdad
November 13, 2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys. I just can't make up my mind, its driving my nuts!

waidmann
November 13, 2011, 09:46 PM
FEG

97guns
November 13, 2011, 10:31 PM
cant comment on the ruger but my feg pjk has been totally reliable, trigger is a little heavy and gritty.

DC3-CVN-72
November 13, 2011, 11:45 PM
I LUV my PJK-9HP. That's my vote. :)

Jeb21
November 14, 2011, 12:58 AM
Hi-Power. Lighter, slimmer. Lots of magazine options.

Fishslayer
November 14, 2011, 03:39 AM
How is parts and magazine compatability with the real deal? I have a FEG P90DA & as far as parts go I'm pretty much outta luck. And it's in the shop again. IIRC FEG went under in 2004 or thereabouts. And my gunsmith hates working on it.

Do you know a gunsmith that will even work on FEGs?

I love the look of the FEG clones but if I had to do it again I wouldn't...

bdb benzino
November 14, 2011, 05:10 AM
If its the true Hi Power clone like my FEG PJK 9HP, then parts should be no problem at all. Right now mine has a Browning sear spring and a Browning extractor, there is some Cylinder and Slide hammer and sear in there also. All parts dropped in with no fitting necessary except for a little on the C&S hammer and sear.

rbernie
November 14, 2011, 08:56 AM
Both are fine pistols - I have owned both and put a lot of rounds through them - but the FEG will have the advantage of parts support via its commonality with the BHP.

You can get MecGar magazines for either pistol for $20, so that's a wash between them. Holsters will also be a wash, since the Taurus will use Beretta 92 holsters and the FEG will use BHP holsters.

In the end, it comes down to feel and whether you want a DA capability (Taurus) or a slightly cleaner SA trigger pull (FEG).

Hunterdad
November 14, 2011, 10:52 AM
How do I know if its a PJK?

97guns
November 14, 2011, 10:59 AM
mine is marked

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/hd0642/handguns/HPIM0025.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/hd0642/handguns/HPIM0024.jpg

Skylerbone
November 14, 2011, 12:06 PM
ATI sells a knock-off of the 92F for around $300 new. Several members here have reported it is fully interchangable with the Beretta and functions well. Sorry for stirring the pot;-)

Hunterdad
November 14, 2011, 12:13 PM
No problem Skylerbone. Any idea what the model is?

97guns
November 14, 2011, 12:44 PM
i know that if you can find a feg you can usually get them for a good price, i paid $175 for mine a few years back

Skylerbone
November 14, 2011, 12:48 PM
It's Turkish, imported by ATI and called, drum roll...the 92F! They also make a compact model. Hopefully an owner will chime in, one guy called it the best deal going and I was darn near ready to buy one but 1911s and centerfire rifles have been winning out lately. I believe CDNN is where they bought them, Bud's carries them but is out of stock at present.

dogsoldier0513
November 14, 2011, 01:55 PM
FEG makes GREAT weapons. Their SA-85 AK is only 2nd to a Valmet.

wally
November 14, 2011, 02:07 PM
Taurus PT92. By far Taurus' best offereing, they are still being made and you'll get a warranty.

I've both the FEG has been reliable but the trigger was awful out of the box. No way would I rate the FEG trigger as even close to being equal of the PT92 SA trigger.

Kendal Black
November 14, 2011, 02:26 PM
I've shot the Taurus, haven't shot the FEG. Have shot the Browning from which the FEG is cloned.

I would go with the FEG. I like the feel of the Browning better than the Taurus (or the Berretta 92). The FEG has a decent reputation from what I've heard.

If this argument doesn't work for you, and arguments the other way, for the Taurus, don't work either, so that you still can't make up your mind, what you need is a 25 cent binary randomizer (flip a coin). :D

Or wait for something else to come along later, that you more clearly fancy. When I can't make up my mind, I don't. ;)

nathan
November 15, 2011, 09:47 AM
The FEG clone is very well made but have rough edges. In fact ive used mine to qualify for my CHL class in 2007. At 15 yds it was fistsized groups in rapid fire. Mine is all original parts and someday if it has parts breakage i may have to replace with C S hammer and sear. SO far the parts are not giving up after hard use.

greyling22
November 15, 2011, 10:37 AM
When I was looking into FEG's I found that the sights sucks, there were reports of solft-ish metal that could cause pin holes to egg out after thousands and thousands of rounds, and the out of the box trigger was very bad. Grip panels needed replacing too. Now, at 250 or less, I could totally have lived with and resolved all those issues. but at 350+ I just wasn't interested. It reminded me of the sks: a bargain at less than 200, a steal at $75, but not so much at 350. But, if you do a little work on the trigger you can get a decent single action trigger and the ergonomics are quite good. Advantages, ergnomics, single action, classy design.

The taurus pt92 is very well though of in the circles I run in. I know a couple of guys to run one in competitions. Supposedly they are better than the actual beretta because they are a little beefed up. The early beretta's had some slide cracking issues. The advantage here are the better sights, warranty, Double action if you're into that, durability, and if you have big hands, fit and feel.

broken
November 15, 2011, 10:59 AM
had them both,fine pistols,had been looking for an feg again,for a while was thinking about an arcus 94,bulgarian hi power,copy i found.i like hi power copies,but a taurus 92 is a great pistol.hard choice.

97guns
November 15, 2011, 11:56 AM
with the taurus you wont be dumping money into it, it'll be as good as it gets right from the box. on the other hand you may find yourself tinkering and upgrading the FEG, or not.... just a couple of things to consider.

MrDig
November 15, 2011, 06:19 PM
Never had a problem with the FEG HP clone. I'm a big fan of the HP and when the funds are there I plan to buy another FEG PJK 9HP if that says anything.

Hunterdad
November 15, 2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all the great responses guys. I'm going to sit on this one and see what comes along. I took a good look at the FEG and its pretty piss beat. The Taurus is $480, comes with some stupid laser and 3 mags. The price is way too insane! I have a habit of impulse buying and regretting it on the way home. I'm going to wait for the perfect gun to come along.

Thanks again!

gyvel
November 15, 2011, 06:40 PM
I have a FEG P90DA & as far as parts go I'm pretty much outta luck.

The FEG DAs are pretty much unique designs based partially on the Hi-Power and partially on the S&W DA series of pistols. Parts are unique to the gun and no parts interchange from other pistols as far as I know.

On the other hand, the SA Browning Hi-Power clones, the PJKs, are exact clones of Belgian Hi-Powers and parts are completely interchangeable.

Quite frankly, I would only take a Taurus over a Hi-Point or Charter.

atonguis
November 16, 2011, 10:20 AM
I have 2 Taurus's one 20 years old and one 3 years old, both the PT92FS model. I love them both and have put thousands of rounds through them without so much as a hiccup and they are still factory (not modified). I like the DA and the decocker features, but it all boils down to what you like and what feels good in your hands and mind. I like the Taurus's lifetime warranty and have never had to use it.

Moptop
November 16, 2011, 06:15 PM
I have a FEG JPK-9HP and it has always worked perfectly for me, as good as my Browning Hi-Power. To be fair, I haven't had any experience with Taurus so I can't comment one way or the other on them.

If you enjoyed reading about "FEG Hi-Power or Taurus 92" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!