Discovered the secret to Deer baiting

PDA

Zombiphobia
November 15, 2011, 09:52 AM
I've found a GREAT deer attractant for less than 1$. Draws deer in QUICK.

Not telling.

:D as long as nobody steals it... trail cam pics coming soon.

Oh, yeah, since it was under debate b4, All Stock Sweet Feed for goats, sheep etc wotrks great for drawing in and holding the attention the deer and black bear. That's not my secret formula, though. Just saying it works and deer love it.

I'll see if can get some sample preview pics for you guys that I captured a few weeks ago of a couple does and spotted fawn.
My previous buck and black bear pics were accidentally deleted, but after the week's end, I should have something new.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/9295/hunt0041.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/hunt0041.jpg/)

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9114/hunt0042.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/hunt0042.jpg/)

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6039/hunt0046.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/228/hunt0046.jpg/)
The doe in the foreground, and appearing in most of my pictures alooks old to me. Since she's eating up most of the food, and probably too old to breed(by looking at her), so I'm going to eliminate her from the equation the first legal chance I get and toss her on the BBQ.

Hopefully some better pics with black bear and at least one buck to come soon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Discovered the secret to Deer baiting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zombiphobia
November 15, 2011, 10:17 AM
Oh I forgot; at this spot, there a is a yr-long supply of clear flowing water near-by and plenty of thick foliage for cover and bedding. Just about every species of animal in N FL can be found within 1 mile of this spot.

Black bear, deer, grey squirrel, fox squirrel, bobcat, fox, coyote, turkey, rabbit, skunk, raccoon, opossum, stray hunting dogs, all varieties of southeastern snakes from copper-heads to cotton mouth to red rat snakes to diamond backs and timber rattlers.

Plenty of wildlife to be found and the deer in the pictures keep coming back everyday to eat the sweet feed until it's gone. My feeding site is no more than 300yrds from constant fresh water and heavy cover. This is where the deer will still be once the running dogs are released, and coming to this spot to eat and stock up on calories. I add some extra goodies to my deer feed to REALLY hold them. I make sure the scent is well-released and they're usually there by dusk to eat their fill and then come back later.

countertop
November 15, 2011, 10:39 AM
Black bear, deer, grey squirrel, fox squirrel, bobcat, fox, coyote, turkey, rabbit, skunk, raccoon, opossum, stray hunting dogs, all varieties of southeastern snakes from copper-heads to cotton mouth to red rat snakes to diamond backs and timber rattlers.

No pythons, gators, or hogs?

JohnBT
November 15, 2011, 11:23 AM
Have you tried planting some young azaleas? The deer around here love them.

:)

MCgunner
November 15, 2011, 12:36 PM
Well, I have plenty of game camera pix around my corn feeder. :D

MtnCreek
November 15, 2011, 01:12 PM
That's not my secret formula, though. Just saying it works and deer love it.

Grape KoolAid ???

Art Eatman
November 15, 2011, 01:37 PM
Never seen corn fail for whitetail. Horse&Mule sweet feed works.

I knew a young teenager who discovered that deer will wipe out a crop of young MaryJane plants.

Larry Ashcraft
November 15, 2011, 01:48 PM
I've heard that deer love dillweed, too. I don't know for sure though. Hot wire and three dogs keep them out of my garden.

ghitch75
November 15, 2011, 02:02 PM
corn here....

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb368/ghitch75/MDGC0978.jpg

Zombiphobia
November 15, 2011, 03:13 PM
no kool aid, but my feed mix does include corn, sweet feed, and a little oats and occasionally chopped apple. Once in a while put a little cane syrup over the feed, but not heavily. yep there's hogs and a few gators around, but not many pythons in this area. Actually none that I'm aware.

Just went out and set the camera back up, put out some more feed and on my way out spotted a doe and fawn crossing the road. I don't know if it's the same ones pictured above, but they were close to the same area.

As for dill, I dunno but they seem to like dill pickles pretty well.

Bobson
November 15, 2011, 08:59 PM
I knew a young teenager who discovered that deer will wipe out a crop of young MaryJane plants.
Guess I'll take your word on that one. Not worth the risk of going out and planting some to test it :p

JohnBT
November 15, 2011, 10:05 PM
If you have land the odds are somebody else has already planted pot on it. Industrial hemp - ditchweed - grows wild in a lot of states.

www.hempreport.com/2004/07/wild-marijuana.html

John

TexasPatriot.308
November 15, 2011, 10:49 PM
when you discover the mystery of women, we will be TRULY impressed.

jmstevens2
November 15, 2011, 11:07 PM
Never seen corn fail for whitetail. Horse&Mule sweet feed works.

Would a stoned deer be easier to bag? Gives a whole different air to Doe urine. Come on deer, fill the cup or you are fired, upon.

Arkansas Paul
November 15, 2011, 11:09 PM
Would a stoned deer be easier to bag?

Should be. He'd be walking very slowly and eating every piece of foilage in sight. :)

Zombiphobia
November 16, 2011, 05:27 AM
yeah yeah, ok so my two does and spotted fawn aren't impressive trophies... whoopty friggin do, I'm not a trophy hunter. I'm just happy with the immediate results of my bait.

I've caught ppl both growing pot on my land AND building large hunting 'stands'.. thing was the size of a small cabin. Anyway tore it down and called the cops. Same guy was doing both.

MCgunner
November 16, 2011, 11:39 AM
I know that strawberry koolaid works for hogs in my hog trap, added to corn, of course. I don't use it for deer specifically, though. You talk to 10 different hunters in south Texas and you'll get 10 different recipes for hog bait, though. I really don't think there's anything a damned hog WON'T eat. :D

Dang, well, ought to make your shot kinda wobbly trying to follow one in the scope, eh? :D I wouldn't suggest planting it for deer bait, either. I have heard they can spot the stuff from orbiting satellites. :D

MCgunner
November 16, 2011, 11:40 AM
I've caught ppl both growing pot on my land AND building large hunting 'stands'.. thing was the size of a small cabin. Anyway tore it down and called the cops. Same guy was doing both.

Maybe an observation stand for his pot? Weird, real weird.

Zombiphobia
November 16, 2011, 01:16 PM
Maybe an observation stand for his pot? Weird, real weird.

no he was shooting my deer from it

627PCFan
November 17, 2011, 12:03 PM
Own up to it, you shot the spotted one didnt you?

Zombiphobia
November 17, 2011, 11:19 PM
no, I can honestly say I've never shot a spotted fawn.

orphanedcowboy
November 21, 2011, 04:04 AM
Goat Chow works really well here where they have acorns and pecans to feed on, discovered purely by accident, and when corn is getting close to $10 for 50lbs, an adjustment of the timer and an extra $3 a bag has my feeder pen bare.

Snow peas are like crack too and I can tell you when they are ripe but can't tell how well they eat, because they are all gone..........

Shadow 7D
November 21, 2011, 04:48 AM
MEAT, no really,
that and the stomach of a fresh killed deer

See deer aren't so much herbivores as omnivores that REALLY suck at hunting, they are opportunistic predators and will scavenge.

meat in one study drew in at over 66 (2/3rd) of the bait stations, may not hold for long, but really brings them in, so take the turkey leftover and bones out and drop in your favorite hunting spot... Oh, and the fresh stomach, seems to be the first place they go (predigested food, saves them time...) when they find a gut pile.

ghitch75
November 21, 2011, 07:56 AM
MEAT, no really,
that and the stomach of a fresh killed deer

See deer aren't so much herbivores as omnivores that REALLY suck at hunting, they are opportunistic predators and will scavenge.

meat in one study drew in at over 66 (2/3rd) of the bait stations, may not hold for long, but really brings them in, so take the turkey leftover and bones out and drop in your favorite hunting spot... Oh, and the fresh stomach, seems to be the first place they go (predigested food, saves them time...) when they find a gut pile.

deer don't have time to get back to a gut pile around here the yoto's get to it first....

Shadow 7D
November 21, 2011, 02:34 PM
They still come in, one station was visited by wolves, and the deer showed up 7 minutes later.

JohnBT
November 21, 2011, 03:22 PM
I'm still thinking about the concept of using bait for deer. What size hook do you put the bait on? Is it still fishing or cast and retrieve? What weight line?

:neener:

darrell walling
November 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
I agree with zombiphobia, ya cant make soup out of antlers . I will shoot a big buck also - but find does eat better

Zombiphobia
November 25, 2011, 10:42 AM
darrell, does aren't my only animals on the hit list, they're just all I have in that particular set of pictures, and that one particular old doe keeps coming back to eat up all the feed. Since hutning season has opened here, she's stopped coming in the mornings. Now she shows up for a few minutes at noon and late night.. she's old enough to know the patttern when ppl leave the woods

ritepath
November 25, 2011, 09:14 PM
So did anyone ever worm the secret ingredients out of you?

Zombiphobia
November 26, 2011, 11:55 AM
yeah my mom

ritepath
November 26, 2011, 08:27 PM
do you have her email address? :)

ThorOdinson
November 29, 2011, 01:05 AM
Where do all you guys live? Baiting big game is illegal in Colorado!

RyeDaddy
November 29, 2011, 09:25 AM
It's not illegal here in TX, but not much is other than rimfires and dogs for deer.

So you're not gonna tell us the secret?

Well congrats anyway on finding the magic recipe, you're a real "deer master baiter" now!

Zombiphobia
December 20, 2011, 01:59 PM
another dinner guest. I put down some artificial raspberry flavoring. cheap stuff from the walmart baitng.. er BAKING goods section.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1553/hunt0314.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/46/hunt0314.jpg/)

This bear is actually much smaller than she looks.. and illegal to shoot in this state anyway.

Zombiphobia
December 20, 2011, 02:01 PM
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9770/hunt0376.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/hunt0376.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Zombiphobia
December 20, 2011, 02:10 PM
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7276/hunt0400.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/209/hunt0400.jpg/)

Same Bear-

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8182/hunt0317.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/hunt0317.jpg/)

And some deer.. only does. So this should be more like the secret to doe baiting, since so far I've only captured one buck and he hasn't been back that i can tell.
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9202/hunt0088.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/337/hunt0088.jpg/)

JackCrow
December 20, 2011, 04:32 PM
Beautiful bear.

Bobson
December 20, 2011, 10:21 PM
Awesome pics, Zombi :)

You can't shoot bear at all in your state? Or are they just not in season? Which state is it?

Zombiphobia
December 20, 2011, 10:44 PM
Florida. No, they're protected. Can't shoot them at all. The one pictured is a pee-wee, wouldn't shoot it anyway.

Bobson
December 20, 2011, 11:05 PM
Gotcha. Didn't know they're protected anywhere in the US.

788Ham
December 21, 2011, 01:06 AM
Now if those deer eat Mary Jane, and dill pickles, have you tried any Mary Jane in brownies yet? Maybe they'd like those too! Just raggin' ya Hoss, nice to have deer that close on your place, lucky man! Good clear pics too.

Zombiphobia
December 21, 2011, 01:10 AM
yup, they were almost wiped out in florida. only recently, within about 3-4 years, have talks began about the possibility of limited black bear hunts and only in limited, specified areas of the state.

About two years ago someone totalled their SUV only a few miles from my home outside Tallahassee when they struck a ~300lb bear. That was about 5 miles from where the above photos were taken. The largest one I've seen coulda been about that size, but I'm a horrible judge of size/weight. It looked pretty large on hind legs tho.

I've had to scare off a cub while deer hunting once before mamma showed up.

I know they're not very huge and frighten easily in most cases, but I'm not taking any chances with a mad mamma bear thinking she's defending her cub. And considering the lack of self-control many people have, I don't want to be the reason they aren't afraid of people either. If I find a dead, skinned out bear near-by it'll right piss me off.
They get my heart-rate up, for sure, though and I wouldn't want to tangle with even a small one like this. For size comparison, the palmetto bushes in the pics are about waist high on me and I'm 6'2". So this one is pretty small with some growing still ahead of him/her.

I'm not even sure I could get off on self defense with black bears here, and most people haven't seen one wild, but they sure can be fun to watch.

RinkRat
December 27, 2011, 01:46 AM
My hunting buds and I, we all get together and have a bait maker party a couple times a year, just like we did long-ago when we were in the scouts together.

We mix some ripe sweet apples and pears right off the tree, sweet feed, some sweet alfalfa-hay, rice bran, raisins, and throw in a dank of molasses, cane sugar, some kiwi's, strawberry preserves, and cooked sweet taters! Throw it all in a garbage can, add some liquid (sweeten apple juice, and orange juice) and roll it around. Then we spread it out in our selected areas that we also plant some wild flowering plants in, for good measure if there an't no creek near by we leave out some 5gal buckets of water and sometimes an old-fashon salt lick too. Oh and to pacify one dude we throw around some of his dried-out sweet corn he grows left on the cobs. Don't know exactly what they like that is on the menu but we always get our limits, and they always leave the corn ?? but eat the rest :rolleyes:

This was passed down from my Dad, Scoutmaster, and our Dads that all used to hunt together. I got some of the ingredient from my Dad "the taters, OJ, and kiwi which he got from his Dad who got it from his Dad" > oop ... my Dad is probably lookin down shakin his head from above as I type :scrutiny: but isn't sharing your hunting experience part of what it's about ;) So open up and share Zombiphobia :( I just did :p

Like my Dad always said ... if it an't broke don't fix it :)

Might seem like a lot of work but like I said ... we all do stock our fridge and have plenty to go around for the neighbors next door too, nothing beats venison ribs on the barbie on the 4th :D

Don't know where Gramps came up with the OJ but have you ever tried that Zombiphobia or is that your special sauce??? Do deer frequent orange groves down there in Florida ??? since you got no apple orchards.

Zombiphobia
December 27, 2011, 02:09 AM
I don't know, but I've put some citrus out there and they don't seem to care about it much, they just got moldy. They'll eat up apples and pears though.

Deer will eat just about anything sweet and/or salty though

RinkRat
December 27, 2011, 02:25 AM
Oh my goodness Zomb !!!!!

you just gave me an idea ... put a bag of Lays chips and a Vernors to wash it down with on a snack-table for um :p

soooooo what's the secret sauce bro :banghead:

wyohome
December 27, 2011, 03:09 AM
That is so much different from here. I was walking down a gravel road to my pickup one day and a game warden stopped and asked how the hunting had been. I was eating an apple and tossed the core into the brush. He said he could write me a ticket for baiting if he wanted to.

RinkRat
December 27, 2011, 03:33 AM
^ wyohome

when he retires sounds like he'd make a good TSA agent :neener:

MCgunner
December 27, 2011, 10:54 AM
That is so much different from here. I was walking down a gravel road to my pickup one day and a game warden stopped and asked how the hunting had been. I was eating an apple and tossed the core into the brush. He said he could write me a ticket for baiting if he wanted to.

Sux to be there. Really, though, is there a reason to allow feeders in Wyoming? Lots of public land and mulies that are easy to spot, if hard to stalk. Feeders are a way of life in Texas and there's a multi-billion dollar industry around them. One can find deer corn at about any convenience store in small towns.

The feeder is working extra good this year. Been so dry there's no acorns, a deer's preferred food. A 10 pointer has eluded me, though. I've gone to hunting ducks and there's eurasian collared doves everywhere right now and the second dove season is open. I plan to attack some of them Thursday.. Shot a 5 point and trapped a hog, so I have meat. They're hanging around the tank (that's a pond in Texas).

308win
December 27, 2011, 11:10 AM
Before there was an EPA the oil producers used to pump brine into holding ponds or more than occasionally on the ground. My granfather had a well drilled in the bottom and salt water was pumped out on the ground. The only thing that would grow there was cattails but the deer used to keep the ground torn up like hogs rooting to get the salt in the dirt.

wyohome
December 27, 2011, 11:14 PM
It is just a different way of hunting here MCgunner. I built a ground blind for my wife to use, but I prefer to hunt while walking and stalking. She gets a buck each year at her stand, I get mine in the sage brush. I really get no satisfaction from sitting in one place and waiting, she has never learned to spot, stalk and shoot offhand.

woodsrunner38
December 28, 2011, 11:50 AM
Carefully prescribe burn your woods, Zombi, before you loose those pines to wildfire. It needs it badly :scrutiny:

Zombiphobia
December 30, 2011, 04:39 PM
Carefully prescribe burn your woods, Zombi, before you loose those pines to wildfire. It needs it badly

been in line for a prescribed burn for about 3 yrs now, however the lack of rain-fall hasn't allowed it.

Byron
January 1, 2012, 07:53 PM
Why is it necessary to bait? It seems following deer trails,scarps etc in the pre-season puts the hunt back in hunting.

Art Eatman
January 1, 2012, 10:37 PM
Byron, how you hunt depends on vegetation and terrain. Walking and stalking, sneaky-snaking, is fun and is of course challenging, but in some country that's a waste of time. And in some, it's right at physically impossible--as in the mesquite/cactus thickets of the south Texas brush country.

I don't walk much any more, because of a 77-year-old aching back. Lotsa things, I have the know-how--but I went and used up most all the can-do. :D

wyohome
January 1, 2012, 10:50 PM
I am glad you are still hunting, Art, it gives me hope for a few more seasons.

Byron
January 1, 2012, 11:31 PM
Art, your point is made. I am 64 and hunted in the hills of TN and the vast mountains of N GA near NC.Lot of good memories. Byron

MCgunner
January 2, 2012, 05:17 PM
At 59, I'm a good number of years younger than Art, thank Gawd:neener:", but I don't know how well I'd do back in the rough country of New Mexico I used to so enjoy. It was tough on me then. Spot and stalk hunting out there, not any sort of stand hunting works very well unless you pattern movement..IE live out there. What you do is walk to a canyon and glass, find deer (mulies) and plan a stalk, usually a LONG stalk, that may or may not work as these critters have ears like radar and noses to match and the loose rocks on a hill side make noise if you slip. But, it was great fun to do. It involved a lot of rugged country hiking with gear, though, and my back ain't much better than Art's, what with a herniated disc some years ago that never got surgery. My knees and hips pop when I get up in the mornings, now, so I guess I ain't gonna get any better. :banghead:

On my place, I have a feeder and a stand. I get to hunt and I do enjoy it, believe it or not. I even use a game camera to pattern the game. Is that cheating? I guess you may think so, but it's also legal here. I know right now, late season, that 5 point I shot early on is probably all I'm going to get because even the does down there have gone nocturnal. Hell, I've been dove hunting, season opened the 23rd and the birds are down there. I have figured out their highway and have had a couple of decent hunts. :D Migratory bird hunting cannot be done near the feeder, so I do that in another non-baited spot where the doves seem to use as a highway. I'm going to let the feeder feed out and bring it home for the year, I reckon. I have enough meat between the hogs and that deer. I have always preferred wing shooting to any sort of mammal hunting, anyway. :D

Zombiphobia
January 2, 2012, 05:36 PM
this isn't a stalking Vs ambushing debate.

I don't enjoy setting bait to ambush deer, but I do because... it doesn't matter. Do thing your way and I'll do things my way and everybody's happy.

Art Eatman
January 2, 2012, 06:48 PM
Aw, planting a couple of acres of oats along about September or so makes it fun to just sit and watch the visitation, whether or not you put meat in the pot. :)

One evening was a hoot, watching a big buck shove a little four-pointer all over the place. One of those, "You young whippersnapper! You leave my girlfriends alone!" deals. I guess that went on for some fifteen minutes. Had to give the youngun credit for stubborn--as well as slow learning. I'll bet he had grooves all over his rump.

Bobson
January 2, 2012, 06:56 PM
That does sound fun, Art.

I like your use of whippersnapper too. :p

Art Eatman
January 3, 2012, 12:00 AM
Mule deer are sparse in my desert country. I've done some good by walking hunting, but sometimes a fella just gets tired of having tired feet. So I tried baiting: Corn. Calf Manna. Game blocks. Alfalfa hay. "Just" salt.

Javelina like corn; corn is obviously good piggie bait. Mule deer didn't give a hoot. I could see tracks walking right past all the goodie, with no curiosity whatsoever. Frustrating. "The best laid plans of mice and men..."

If you enjoyed reading about "Discovered the secret to Deer baiting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!