I love the rain, i need the rain

PDA

interlock
November 17, 2011, 05:30 AM
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bonby,+Brigg&hl=en&ll=53.618987,-0.518074&spn=0.013644,0.058622&sll=53.63558,-0.469837&sspn=0.054555,0.169086&vpsrc=6&hnear=Bonby,+Brigg,+North+Lincolnshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=15

test

If you enjoyed reading about "I love the rain, i need the rain" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 17, 2011, 05:33 AM
yes

interlock
November 17, 2011, 05:37 AM
you may detect i am having some trouble making this work

MtnCreek
November 17, 2011, 10:29 AM
Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life.
We had a run-off in around 1812 / 1814, seems your first runner up.:D

Art Eatman
November 17, 2011, 10:53 AM
Well, we had a tenth of an inch on August 21st, last year. This year we've had two showers back in August; a half a tenth and then a week later, one tenth. That's the total for fifteen months.

Wildlife's not doing too good...

interlock
November 18, 2011, 05:51 AM
We had a run-off in around 1812 / 1814, seems your first runner up.

... and look at the mess you have got yourselves into without us looking after you!!!

Art,
Yeah i have some duck flighting over fields that are normally flooded between november and march. They are still dry... no ducks. I was trying to show this on a google map....

we are having a really mild autumn, one frost i think. we need the winter!

alsaqr
November 18, 2011, 08:30 AM
The wildlife in much of TX and OK suffered greatly from last summers awful heat and the lack of rain. Most of the does in SW OK do not have fawns; the situation is better farther east.

We have had a couple good rains since the first of October but there was little runoff: The ponds are either dry or very low.

Art Eatman
November 18, 2011, 10:40 AM
Saw a coyote trotting down the bed of Terlingua Creek, the other day. Three cottonwood trees were chasing it.

If the creek does ever flash off, the fish will likely drown.

If the Rio Grande gets any lower, the rafting outfitters will have to do bicycle trips through the canyons...

MtnCreek
November 18, 2011, 11:06 AM
I heard the Rio Grand flows 100% treated water during the dry months. Any truth to that?

CoRoMo
November 18, 2011, 11:37 AM
Rain makes corn.

kayak-man
November 18, 2011, 05:53 PM
I love the rain, i need the rain

Move to the Pacific NorthWest!

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

Art Eatman
November 18, 2011, 11:38 PM
Basically, absent good rains in New Mexico, the Rio Grande is commonly dry from not far below El Paso. The Rio Conchos flows into the Rio Grande at Ojinaga, Mex/Presidio, Tex. Odds are that the motto in Ojinaga is, "Flush twice; the Gringos need the water." :D

Gunnerboy
November 23, 2011, 08:40 AM
For those who wish to have rain if there was any way i could send the 8in i got in the last 12hrs i would there is now too many puddles so the ducks dont go where you want them too.

hardluk1
November 23, 2011, 09:48 AM
Art how far down is the water table in your area. If not to deep seems like a good time for a water / wind mill. Some of you guys are getting a first hand look at the next dust bowl period.

Art Eatman
November 23, 2011, 10:41 PM
Most local wells are fairly deep, and I've not heard of problems. My own well is in the underflow of Terlingua Creek, so it's shallow. I dug it with my backhoe. It's down about three or four feet, although the inflow rate is plenty good. I still have three to four feet of water in the hole. I doubled my storage to 3,000 gallons, last Friday. Gravity to the house; about 35 psi.

There are still a couple of seep-spring pools in the creek, so the critters still have a good watering point. Most folks have some sort of water trough or pan for wildlife.

hardluk1
November 24, 2011, 08:35 AM
Tough conditions for so many down there.

MachIVshooter
November 24, 2011, 11:00 AM
Rain makes corn.

Love that song.

But I also like our semi-arid state. I could never live in the Pacific NW, Midwest, the South or the East coast. Wayyyyyy too much moisture for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "I love the rain, i need the rain" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!