Clean up job ?

PDA

dastardly-D
November 17, 2011, 10:50 AM
Hello All ! Can anybody give me any recomendations on any products to use to clean up all the powder residue on a surpressor? Mine is tough as all hell getting clean,surly there must be some products out there that can cut down on the scrubbing ?.......Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Clean up job ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zignal_zero
November 18, 2011, 09:48 PM
I don't have one, yet, but I have heard everyone say that, IF IT IS STAINLESS, then "dip it". The solution (iirc) is equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. Just be careful, once it is used, it is lead acetate which is wicked toxic. Like don't even get in on yer skin toxic :-(

rjrivero
November 19, 2011, 07:43 AM
I would higly recommend a tumbler with stainless media to clean suppressor baffles. Does a fine job, the water/lemishine mixture left over isn't NEARLY as Toxic as peroxide soaking and can be done with aluminum. (Lead and it's salts are poorly soluble in water.)

Magoo
November 19, 2011, 09:38 AM
Ultrasonic cleaner. Mine would be perpetually stuck together without one. Granted, mine is aluminum which limits my choices on chemicals I can use. Harbor Freight (:barf:) sells a USC for under $30 which works fine.

dastardly-D
November 19, 2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the ideas on clean up.The first one scared me,sounds like it should have a skull and crossbones on it.The tumbler thing sounds good,so does the vibrate cleaner.There is a Harbor freight just down the road from me,I'll give it a look see.I'll have to see what my surpressor is made of ? Any other ideas,especially of a solution to soak it in ? Thank you guys.....

rjrivero
November 19, 2011, 01:46 PM
When I said TUMBLER, I mean an actual TUMBLER, like the Thumbler's Tumbler. Not a vibratory tumbler. Just to make myself clear.

Careful with Ultrasonic cleaners and aluminum. They can actually damage aluminum. Do a google search and take heed.

BK
November 19, 2011, 08:09 PM
a solution to soak it in ?
Kroil (I've heard but haven't tried).

If you have a sealed can with aluminum in it like me, your options are somewhat limited. PM the member here named Ranb. He and a number of other guys here havee forgotten more about this stuff than I will ever know.

mtrmn
November 20, 2011, 08:26 PM
Maybe I missed it, but I do not know what your suppressor is made of. Mine is titanium and inconel-a very tough stainless. I went to a local auto parts store (like NAPA or maybe Carquest-NOT Autozone) and bought some concentrated soap made for use in pressure washers. It was blue in color and I'm pretty sure it contained a fair amount of caustic soda. You can get it on your hands and it won't hurt anything long as you wash it off in a reasonable length of time, but it burns like fire if you get it in a cut or something.

ANYway, I poured about half a cup in my welded-up suppressor and stopped up both ends with my fingers. Shook it up and rolled it around until I was sure it had contacted all the inside surfaces and then let it sit about 20 minutes. Took it to the water hose and sprayed it full of water in both directions-lots of water. Slung out all the water I could, then stuck it in the oven on about 350 for 30 minutes to dry it out.

Interior looks good as new far as I can tell. This a 30 caliber suppressor, contains no aluminum, and is not packed full of lead residue or anything. Mostly just soot from powder. I'm sure I didn't need to clean it, but I figured if I let it build up for years it would really be a pain to clean then.

I believe when another poster mentioned a tumbler, he was talking about a disassembled suppressor with removable baffles. I really wouldn't do that if you can't take it apart because you may never get all the media out of it.
Also, don't use my soap method either if there are any aluminum parts-caustic does not like aluminum at all.

dastardly-D
November 20, 2011, 10:07 PM
It's a SWR Spectre,it can be disassembled,made of steel and alum baffles,I think ? I use anti-seize on the threads,the rest of it looks like a chicken neck. It works pretty good,but cleaning is tough.......

Ranb
November 21, 2011, 11:46 AM
The aluminum cans that I take apart just have the gunk scraped off then hit with a scrubbing pad. I soak my cans in a solvent made form mineral spirits and kerosene for a few days to make disassembly easier. My sealed center fire cans just get jacketed ammo only through them and are maintenance free except for an ocassional rinse with solvant if they are not stainless. The SS cans get nothing but occasional thread cleaning to ensure proper mounting

I do not bother with solutions that disolve the lead. I have read that the vinegar peroxide solutions eat up aluminum. There is no need to get the internals perfectly clean, just going to get them messy again. :)

I keep a record of the weight of my silencers so I can tell if my maintenance (or lack of it) is effective. If they do not get heavier or louder and do not degrade accuracy, then I am happy.

Ranb

dastardly-D
November 22, 2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys for all the help............

zignal_zero
November 22, 2011, 01:57 PM
I keep a record of the weight of my silencers so I can tell if my maintenance (or lack of it) is effective. If they do not get heavier or louder and do not degrade accuracy, then I am happy.

Good thinking :) I never thought about throwing a can up on the didgy, but that makes perfect sense.

If you enjoyed reading about "Clean up job ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!