Upland Shades

PDA

lizziedog1
November 17, 2011, 12:46 PM
Who could recommend a good pair of sunglasses for hunting upland game?

Not too expensive. I am terrible with sunglasses. I have misplaced or broken just about every pair I have ever purchased.

Is there some sort of cleaner that works?

Sometimes the sun is at such an angle that a Cessna-sized bird could pass right overhead and I wouldn't see it. Then the shades fog up or get sweat on them and the glare is worse.

So, what do you all wear over your eyes when you are bird hunting?

If you enjoyed reading about "Upland Shades" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HarcyPervin
November 17, 2011, 01:21 PM
I look at sunglasses like guns and pretty much any other tool...buy junk, treat it like junk, buy again, and again.
Spend $100+ on a pair of polarized sunglasses that come with a cleaning cloth/bag. I'm 24 now, and just finally lost a pair of oakleys that I bought when I was 12 (car was broken into and they walked away) Anyway, I got a pair of UnderArmour polarized glasses now and I love them

kbbailey
November 20, 2011, 07:48 PM
a nice pair of shooting glasses w/ interchangeable lenses could do dbl or triple duty for you. Trap/skeet/clays/hunt/targets/etc. I recently ended up with some new Rx lenses in my Decot shooting glasses. They are Orangeish...bronze tinted. I have worn them in the field and they remove haze and leave a very clear view.
Do a Google. There are all kinds available.....you can spend what you want to...very little, or a lot.

1911 guy
November 22, 2011, 09:16 AM
Make sure they are amber lenses. This is the "orangish bronze" kbbailey mentioned. Amber will remove a lot of haze, even improve visibility in fog and make resolution a lot sharper.

Leverb66
November 23, 2011, 05:54 PM
I use some motorcycle glasses that are light adjusting. I can't remember the name of them but they work really well for hunting. They start with a yellowish tint, that seems to brighten things at dusk/dawn.

Saakee
November 24, 2011, 06:45 AM
I have lost and broken tons of glasses. Until i bought a pair of RX Oakley Juliets. I keep better track of them than anything since they cost me nearly $500 including eye exam and grinding of lenses ($330ish w/out).

Smokey Joe
November 29, 2011, 02:08 PM
Lizziedog--My approach to sunglasses is that they are just there for my eyes. I don't care much which model they are, and I certainly don't buy the "stylish, expensive" ones. Nor do I buy special models for special purposes.

I wear regular bifocals, so unless I want to get a pair of bifocal sunglasses (Whoo-ee, real bucks there!) I'm stuck with add-on sunglasses of some sort.

You want something that fits your head, protects your eyes from the side as well as the front, is polarized, and protects against UVA and UVB rays. And cuts down on the glare. Other than that, who cares? Ugly is cheap, stylish is expensive.

FWIW, if you have to get sunglasses to go over your regular glasses, the best I've found is the "Fitover" glasses. Found 'em @ Cabela's but I expect they're available elsewhere as well. They were a whopping $35, if I remember correctly. Color of lenses is a sort of brownish orange. They do what I said above, and aside from being a little heavy on the nose (well, you ARE wearing 2 sets of glasses!) they are just about perfect. For me anyhow. YRMV.

Good luck in your search. Pls keep us posted.

lizziedog1
November 29, 2011, 11:20 PM
Its mainly for the glare. Here in the high desert we have very clear skies. When the sun reaches just that right level, you can't look in its direction at all. I swear birds are flushing to use that to their advantage.

Has anyone here tried ski goggles? if something can filter out snow glare it should work in other situations.

oneounceload
November 30, 2011, 05:00 PM
Check out the various high-end shooting glasses sites for what colors work best with your light conditions - purple, bronze were nice in the AM's near CC hunting chukar, with a light yellow by mid-PM when the light got long

And you might want to buy a croakie or similar that goes around your neck - I stopped "losing" (misplacing the wife says) my daily glasses since they are always around my neck - even inside most of the time

If you enjoyed reading about "Upland Shades" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!