High Cap 9mm (Narrow down to this...)

PDA

robinkevin
November 17, 2011, 07:46 PM
Ok so I have decided that my next firearm shall be a high cap 9mm and have narrow it down to a few choices in my price range ($300-$400)... some of these in the higher price range I will be looking to buy used.

Ruger P95
CZ 75
SIG P2022
Taurus 92
Bersa Thunder Pro HC

EDIT: Had to add one... the website best9mm.com remind me of it, at one time I was look at it as well and don't really know why I stray.

I have narrow it down to these which I plan to try shooting all of them before deciding but not sure I will be able to find all of them for rent at a range. Was hoping to get some additional feedback from y'all on here.
Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "High Cap 9mm (Narrow down to this...)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
November 17, 2011, 07:48 PM
Everyone needs to own at least one high cap 9mm glock.

A used well loved g17 is my vote

posted via tapatalk using android.

2wheels
November 17, 2011, 07:52 PM
CZ75, can't go wrong with one of the best 9mms of all time.

imsobored
November 17, 2011, 07:59 PM
EAA witness 9mm. Great clone of cz-75 and affordable

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using tapatalk

Michael R.
November 17, 2011, 08:00 PM
ruger p95. cheaper than all of those and just as good. reliable like you wouldn't beleive

ichiban
November 17, 2011, 08:01 PM
http://www.best9mm.com/
In your price range, I'm kind of fond of the Ruger SR9

dusty14u
November 17, 2011, 08:05 PM
Out of the ones listed I would go for the CZ75. Accurate, reliable, slim and good ergonomics. Whats not to like?

rule303
November 17, 2011, 08:15 PM
All 4 of those are great guns. I actually have them all except the Sig. To me the CZ is the most accurate, but I find it akward to rack the slide. The Ruger just plain works, but is kind of chunky. The PT92 would get my vote as the best overall.

RinkRat
November 17, 2011, 08:15 PM
Don't know what all you own now but hate um or not ... every stable should have at least one Block!

A G17, G19, even a G26 will store up into 33+1 / 34 rounds of 9mm boolits :evil:

All three around me are $475 to $500 new.

Lucky Derby
November 17, 2011, 08:16 PM
Of those four my pick would be the CZ, no question.

mgmorden
November 17, 2011, 08:21 PM
If you can get a CZ-75B then I'd get that. If you can't find a B in your price range then I'd get the Ruger P95 over the original CZ-75.

Nothing wrong with the SIG, but it's a polymer DA/SA gun. The P95 is every bit as good a gun but $75 less.

The Taurus, well, is a Taurus. Don't get me wrong they're mostly fine and judged individually I don't think they're that bad, but I just don't think there's anything stand-out about them that would make me take them over the other guns on the list.

robinkevin
November 17, 2011, 08:54 PM
What about the low profile slide on the CZ? Does it make it harder to work the slide?

The P95 really gets my attention just because of the price range... however I do prefer the weight of a metal gun.

railroader
November 17, 2011, 09:07 PM
I have owned the taurus, I have a ruger p95 and I have 3 czs. First place goes to the czs, second to the ruger and third to the taurus. All three are reliable. Accuracy wise the czs win hands down and they are the most ergonomic. The ruger is my home defense pistol and I sold the taurus because to me it was nothing special. Mark

robinkevin
November 17, 2011, 09:16 PM
The Taurus is my least favorite... The SIG I put on the list mainly cause of the name but I guess its really the higher end SIGS that have made the name.

I remember after buying my XD I was flipping through a gun book and saw the CZ 75 and thought "Thats what I should of gotten..." well here I am again looking for a full size pistol, this time the CZ is on the list.

Can anyone give me more info on the CZ and its EAA clones? Is the slide really that hard it can't be much slimmer of a slide than my P3AT, which I am sure the springs are stiffer but still can't be that bad can it? The XD was a pain to rack but then again never was broke in...

HOLY DIVER
November 17, 2011, 09:21 PM
of the 4 i'd go CZ....they make good stuff.but if it were me i'd pony up $50 more and get a used glock19 just me though..

2wheels
November 17, 2011, 09:21 PM
Some people have trouble with the CZ75 slide because it rides inside the frame, so there's a little bit less to grab. I've handled/fired a few and never really had trouble manipulating the slide.

imsobored
November 17, 2011, 09:24 PM
My witness is easy to rack the slide. I spent $460 for the 9/22 combo.

mgmorden
November 17, 2011, 09:28 PM
When I had my CZ-75 I had no issues with racking the slide.

Bozwell
November 17, 2011, 09:28 PM
Of all the ones you listed, I'd say that the CZ has the most potential for growth as, with some work, it will have the best trigger of those guns (by far) and can have a trigger that rivals guns several times its cost. The CZ 75 platform is also very reliable and accurate, not to mention comfortable to hold and shoot so... yeah, I'd go with the CZ. :)

schmeky
November 17, 2011, 09:33 PM
Exactly what Railroader said in post 13. I've owned "P" series Rugers and Tauri.

CZ for sure.

RNB65
November 17, 2011, 09:37 PM
CZ 75 would be my choice from the guns in your list.

beatledog7
November 17, 2011, 09:41 PM
Second-hand CZ or second-hand Glock. They are about as different as two hi-cap 9mm pistols can be, but both are superb.

sigarms228
November 17, 2011, 09:43 PM
Out of your list I would recommend the SIG SP2022. They have a great trigger right out of the box. Mine goes along to the range with me every single time along with my P226 and for me they are wonderful shooters. I prefer my SP2022 over my Sons CZ 75 SP01. My SP2022, like my other P sereis SIGs, gave never given me a single problem. I have about 1300 rounds through my SP2022 now.

As ALWAYS is is best to try out whatever you are considering and choose what shoots best for you.

imsobored
November 17, 2011, 10:36 PM
But the witness(full size) has the option of expandability. You want a 40sw down the road, justpurchase the slide. Witness has a multitude of slides available. I think its .22, 38super, 40sw, .45 and 10mm and ofcourse 9mm

ratt_finkel
November 17, 2011, 10:49 PM
My personal preference would be between the CZ and the Taurus. The PT92 is a copy of one of the best 9mils ever made. I've never personally shot one. My expierence with other taurus's has been good. Most people will say they are hit or miss. But I don't believe everything I read on the Internet.

CZ's are great guns. The 75 reminds me of a slimmer slightly less smooth in operation 92fs, but superb none the less.

If I were you, I would actually shoot one of each. It's easy to judge a gun. But everyone likes different things. And unless you've actually thrown lead down range with it, you will have to decide what YOU like best. Handling and dryfiring are not the same as shooting.

Onward Allusion
November 17, 2011, 11:06 PM
Ruger P95 from Buds @ $299 shipped; tack on another $25 for FFL transfer; use the rest on a holster and ammo

316SS
November 17, 2011, 11:17 PM
26 replies and no one has pointed out that all the guns listed by the OP are standard capacity? IMO a "high cap" 9mm would be a Glock 18 with a 33 round magazine.

ugaarguy
November 17, 2011, 11:24 PM
316, the 31/33 rounder is one of two standard capacity mags for a Glock 18. Sticking that 33 rounder in a Glock 17 might be considered high cap then. But I'm just playing devil's advocate. :evil:

You're right on though. High Cap is just a term the anti's came up with to elicit an emotional response from the uneducated so they could restrict our rights.

exavid
November 17, 2011, 11:29 PM
I'll put in a word for the Ruger SR9. 17+1 ain't half bad, couple that to excellent ergonomics and reliability and you have a pretty decent pistol. Add to that very good accuracy and a good looking gun at that and I think it ranks up near the top of the list. Right now at Bud's Gunshop a SR9 and it's little brother the SR9c are retailing at $398. Not to shabby.

robinkevin
November 17, 2011, 11:31 PM
Ruger P95 from Buds @ $299 shipped; tack on another $25 for FFL transfer; use the rest on a holster and ammo
I am less then an hour away so I go straight to Buds...

mgmorden
November 17, 2011, 11:35 PM
26 replies and no one has pointed out that all the guns listed by the OP are standard capacity? IMO a "high cap" 9mm would be a Glock 18 with a 33 round magazine.

Depends on how you look at it. Originally back when most guns were single-stack, double stack 9mm's were definitely considered high cap for pistols in general.

316SS
November 17, 2011, 11:42 PM
ugaarguy, I stand corrected. Safe to say a 75 round drum would be "high cap" ;)

Rail Driver
November 17, 2011, 11:46 PM
I'd second the CZ75, but you might be able to find a used 9mm RIA 1911 within your price range as well. A friend of mine has one and it is a joy to shoot. (double stack 14+rd mags)

316SS
November 17, 2011, 11:56 PM
Depends on how you look at it. Originally back when most guns were single-stack, double stack 9mm's were definitely considered high cap for pistols in general.

Certainly, but 9mm duty pistols with 16 round magazines have been in wide use for nigh on 40 years. Surely they are the standard?

1SOW
November 18, 2011, 12:12 AM
Ok so I have decided that my next firearm shall be a high cap 9mm and have narrow it down to a few choices in my price range ($300-$400)... some of these in the higher price range I will be looking to buy used.

My assumption is your wanting a "fun-gun".
Of the choices, I'd pick the 75B.
Pure range: accurate and high-cap, easily to 19+1. Low bore axis. Stable steel platform. Many optional accessories like sights, grips and extended mags. +2 and +3 are available.
All the 75 steel gun mags interchange. Most like the point-and-shoot ergonomics.
One warning: The DA/SA has a fairly long trigger "reach" that small hands may not like. The SA version has a fine trigger and short reach.

I have 50K rds through a 9mm DA/SA 75B that is my favorite fun-gun over my Sig and my son's CZ Custom Shop Shadow.

It also makes a very good "house gun".

frank c
November 18, 2011, 02:13 AM
Don,t overlook the very dependable Smith & Wesson 5906,double stack mag holds 15 rounds of 9mm.Very well built and can be bought in your price range.:)

Mr.Blue
November 18, 2011, 03:02 AM
Not even close IMHO. CZ!!!!!

Unless you have a handicap, I don't think the slide is hard to rack. You get used to the thinner area.

robinkevin
November 18, 2011, 08:34 AM
Leaning strongly towards the CZ 75b... think my next step is to find one to try out at the range. Also will try getting hold of a P95 but it seems almost Glock/XD blocky which is one thing I didn't really like about my XD.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

chicharrones
November 18, 2011, 08:38 AM
Certainly, but 9mm duty pistols with 16 round magazines have been in wide use for nigh on 40 years. Surely they are the standard?

Except us civilians got used to max capacity of 10 rounds during the Assault Weapons Ban for 10 years. I still think that way today. I'm sure Californians do too. :o

derrelw
November 18, 2011, 10:05 AM
CZ 75 or my all time favorites Sig 226 / 228 / 229

robinkevin
November 18, 2011, 10:21 AM
I read some specs on the CZ that said the width is 1.4" that's thicker than I thought... I have big slim hands but I prefer a thinner pistol. Guess its time to go hold one... However I know the Bersa is a thicker pistol on paper, but doesnt feel so thick. Also the grip is the thickest part... I assume the CZ is the same from what I have seen?

batmann
November 18, 2011, 02:55 PM
Of those choices, probably the Sig. Expand a little and include the Ruger SR9. Same price range.

Thompsoncustom
November 18, 2011, 03:30 PM
Not sure on the thickness of the CZ 75b but I'm guessing once you hold one you will be sold and shooting it.... well that's gonna make it hard not to get one.

Wishoot
November 18, 2011, 03:46 PM
I have no firsthand experience owning the Taurus, but I'm sufficiently scared away from them based on a lot of the feedback I've seen through the years.

Any one of the other choices on that list are solid. I'm partial to the CZ however.

sirgilligan
November 18, 2011, 03:58 PM
CZ75.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7724147#post7724147

rbernie
November 18, 2011, 04:07 PM
Frankly, the Ruger SR9 should be on your list. It sells for right at $400 NIB and is a lot of pistol for the money. I have been very pleased with mine, and the Ruger SRs are my carry, HD, and range pistols.

smitty704
November 18, 2011, 04:10 PM
I vote Glock 19 gen 4. With the new ejector(stamped 30274) and RSA(stamped0-4-3), Glock has finally fixed the gen 4's. The G17 is an excellent firearm, but I prefer the G19 because of its smaller size. You only have 2 more rounds with the 17. I choose the 19 because it is far more easy to conceal then the 17. You can always use 17 mags in a 19 if you want the concealablity of a 19 with the round capacity of a 17(have the 17 mag as a backup).

Buy a Glock 19 gen 4, but make sure it has the new ejector(stamped 30274). The old ejector is the cause of the old "gen 4 problems".

You should also check out an M&P as well, I own one(M&P 45c) and it has been FLAWLESS. That is the common word I use when I describe my 45c. You can't go wrong with either one.

I'm done rambling, good luck sir!

smitty
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9005/blocksmitty2.jpg

FIVETWOSEVEN
November 18, 2011, 04:20 PM
Ruger P95
CZ 75
SIG P2022
Taurus 92
Bersa Thunder Pro HC

Looks like to me he likes guns with an external hammer. Glocks aren't on the list, why do people have to constantly recommend them? I'm sure he has already looked at them because of all the recommendations.

chicharrones
November 18, 2011, 08:29 PM
I read some specs on the CZ that said the width is 1.4" that's thicker than I thought... I have big slim hands but I prefer a thinner pistol. Guess its time to go hold one... However I know the Bersa is a thicker pistol on paper, but doesnt feel so thick. Also the grip is the thickest part... I assume the CZ is the same from what I have seen?

Yep. That is thickness at the grip on the palm swells of a 75. I'm sure an ambi-safety CZ 85 is thicker across its safety levers, too.

There are thinner grips for the CZs, though. See the grip thickness chart here.
http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-85-TS-Grips-Aluminum-Plastic-Rubber.aspx

Plus, here is someone else's (AllAWD) photos of their CZ75 compact size next to their Glock 19.
http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=33171.0
http://picasaweb.google.com/BobairJP/P01VsG19?feat=directlink

That particular CZ is wearing VZ Micarta grips that are about 1.2" wide per this page. http://czcustom.com/vzgripsblackcompact.aspx

JTQ
November 18, 2011, 09:21 PM
You can find a couple of those pistols reviewed on the late Mr. Camp's excellent site Hi-Power's and Handguns.

CZ, pre-B model though.
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/CZ75.htm

Taurus PT-92
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/TaurusPT92.htm

robinkevin
November 18, 2011, 10:21 PM
Yes I do like external hammer over striker fired, not to say I wouldn't want a striker fired as the Ruger SR9 does seem to be a fine pistol. Far as Glock, I mention above I did not like the blockiness of my old XD... so I don't see me liking a Glock either. Glocks are fine weapons just not for me. Also though I actually like DA triggers the DA/SA just seems like a better option for a range/HD weapon. Those long shots are just a lot easier to pull off with a smooth single action trigger.

I am really liking CZ... My next step is to go hold and hopefully shoot one and see how it feels.

smitty704
November 18, 2011, 10:38 PM
Looks like to me he likes guns with an external hammer. Glocks aren't on the list, why do people have to constantly recommend them? I'm sure he has already looked at them because of all the recommendations.

Because this is a gun forum. And people are going to recommend different things, some times multiple people like the same brand of firearm. Even though he has a list, I always have another gun I try to throw in the mix for a second look. If I feel a gun is a high quality handgun for a great price, its almost natural for me to try to pursuade people into buying what I like. Opinions are the main reason forums exist in the first place, along with sharing information.

If it has to be something from the list, get the sig. :)

smitty

If you enjoyed reading about "High Cap 9mm (Narrow down to this...)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!