9mm Carry Ammo

PDA

JPG19
November 17, 2011, 08:02 PM
Hello fellew THR'ers. I'm trying to decide on my carry ammo (1.5 years after I started carrying daily!!) but simply don't know enough about it. I have three boxes of ammo that all seem to be pretty good options so I figured I might as well ask you all. Please vote and if you would like, comment on why you voted that way.

-James

p.s. Any ballistics knowledge that some of you might have and feel like sharing will be greatly appreciated!

1) Hornady Critical Defense - 115gr
(fps/ft-lbs @ yds)
1140/332@0, 1030/271@50, 954/232@100

2) Winchester Personal Protection JHP - 147gr JHP
(fps/ft-lbs @ yds)
990/320@0, 985/317@5, 967/305@25

3) Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDX1 - 124gr JHP
(fps/ft-lbs @ yds)
1200,396@0, 1143/360@25, 1095/330@50

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm Carry Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Byrd666
November 17, 2011, 08:16 PM
Poll is not there

Regardless of that, I carry Hornady CD 115gr in my 9mm

JPG19
November 17, 2011, 08:16 PM
The poll appears in my screen...try looking again.

2wheels
November 17, 2011, 08:17 PM
I'm assuming they all feed equally reliably in your carry gun. I've used PDX1 in .380, 9mm, and .40S&W. Partially because it's one of the most common brands in my area, and partially because it feeds reliably in all the guns I've fed it to. It's also a pretty consistent performer in the tests I've seen.

As a side note, I believe the FBI uses a version of the PDX1 line in .40S&W and possibly 9mm, though I could be wrong.

JPG19
November 17, 2011, 08:19 PM
Yes, I meant to mention that all three round choices feed reliably in my Glock 19, which is my carry weapon.

Pyro
November 17, 2011, 08:22 PM
I'd go with the Winchester 147 grain.
Not a premium JHP, but it's affordable and you can practice with it more.
And it's a heavy weight so even if it doesn't expand your still hitting them with a 147 grain slug.

Japle
November 17, 2011, 08:24 PM
115 gr +P+ 9PBLE.

Easy to find and has a great record.

Frozen North
November 17, 2011, 08:25 PM
Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+

It is a wicked load for 9mm and your Glock 19 should eat it safely and reliably.

papa_bear
November 17, 2011, 08:31 PM
Being you asked for a carry load I am going to assume your working with a sub 4" barrel. The best performers seem to be the 148 gr bullets. I would recommend federal hst or Winchester rangers. I have spent a lot of time researching this very question. The 148 grain recommendation comes from an engineer that works for federal who was involved in the r&d of the latest ammo. I don't recall the name but it was the same guy who developed the hydroshock back in the 80's.

theicemanmpls
November 17, 2011, 08:31 PM
Federal 9BPLE 115g

papa_bear
November 17, 2011, 08:37 PM
The 9pble is ancient technology and not the best performer in any recent testing. I believe the issue was lack of expansion and early fragmentation.

smalls
November 17, 2011, 08:44 PM
I carry Hornady CD. Feeds reliably, and expands nicely in every test I've read. Plus, I like the rubber in it to help expand. Sounded like a good idea to me when I bought em, so I stuck with em.

easyg
November 17, 2011, 09:10 PM
I like the Winchester 124g PDX1 9mm+P ammo.
But I also like the Speer Gold Dot 124g 9mm+P ammo.

kurt1305
November 17, 2011, 09:13 PM
Federal HST 147gr +P.

HammerheadSSN663
November 17, 2011, 09:14 PM
Winchester Ranger T 127 +P

Nothing better.

Maybe equal but not better.

Snowshoe
November 17, 2011, 09:17 PM
Since I work two miles from there:
Georgia Arms 124 grain Speer.

Not to much recoil from my Kel-Tec P11.
And cheap enough to practice with.

Psa1m144
November 17, 2011, 09:40 PM
I use Federal Hydra Shok 135gr in my LC9. I'm sure that no matter which bullet you choose, you will be fine.

g_one
November 17, 2011, 09:48 PM
I'm sure that no matter which bullet you choose, you will be fine.
+1
While all bullets are certainly not created equal, any of the ones listed above should do you fine. Having said that, I really like Golden Sabers and have always used them in my guns anytime I'm not at the range (bedside, carry, etc.)

JPG19
November 17, 2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Looks to me that I should go with the Hornady's until I can purchase some of the other suggested rounds.

PedalBiker
November 17, 2011, 10:12 PM
Indoors I use Critical Defense. It's low noise, low recoil and low(er) penetration.

Outdoors it depends and it's not always 9mm. For woods I often put in WWB 147g HP because I'm looking for penetration. Other candidates are any decent 125g +p load. I used to use Gold Dots, but lately they're hard to get.

Hornady just announced something I'd consider for outdoors, it's a 135g and 135g +p load with the flex tip and a Core-lokt like jacket bulge.

Strykervet
November 17, 2011, 10:40 PM
I carry the Winchester T Series in calibres I don't load defense rounds for, in particular +P loads in 9mm and .45ACP and .40. I don't like loading high pressure rounds right to the limit or over without being able to check the pressure to see if it is safe. The bullet is the new black talon bullet, without the scary name. Expands well.

There is also the Winchester Ranger +P+ 115gr. Silvertip. That bad boy is moving at around 1400fps? Smoking hot, more like a .357.

All these are the Ranger line, the law enforcement stuff. If you can't find it locally (the closest store to me sells a LOT of it) you can find it online. You want the +P or +P+ stuff for carry, provided your pistol can take it. I've heard of QC issues with it, but never had any. I even shot a fairly accurate ten round group, about 20" with half at about 10", at 100m, with the .40 165gr. T Series out of a G27. Not too shabby for store bought ammo.

I don't know about the Critical Defense, but the XTP is one of the best bullets out there for accuracy. I load them a lot. Hornady has a tendency to load some rounds soft, like their Custom XTP 115gr. 9mm, 1100fps ain't gonna cut it, but I appreciate the honesty (their 00 buck TAP FPD is another story... so-so recoil, 8 pellets at 1600fps!). Their 155gr. .40 XTP load isn't too bad, but their 10mm is just hot .40. So with Hornady, it kind of depends...

Another one you didn't list is the Gold Dot +P. 115gr. or 124gr. This bullet expands well and doesn't come apart. The Gold Dot is one of the better bullets out there for defense, and you can usually find it.

Corbon makes good ammo too, but stick with the standard ammo. The solid copper stuff is very pricey and not as fast as the regular stuff. I think they advertise 1300fps with 115gr. They used to use the XTP, then the Nosler or Sierra I think... Or maybe the other way around. Not sure what they use now. I have some that are ten years old that shoot and chrono like they were made yesterday.

Any big manufacturer, hollow point, 115-127 grain, and +P or +P+ loading from the factory, one is going to be about as good as the next. If one feeds better than the other, use that, otherwise use the one that makes you feel the safest or is the most available. There is no magic bullet, but that recipe in 9mm is time tested and proven.

Formula94
November 17, 2011, 11:01 PM
Winchester Ranger T 127gr +p+

PONTIACDM
November 17, 2011, 11:12 PM
I like Federal Hydra Shok.

Greek
November 17, 2011, 11:25 PM
Remington Golden Saber 124 gr.

Steve C
November 17, 2011, 11:36 PM
Pretty much any of the Personal Defense loads or Police Surplus ammo is fine for self defense. I tend to favor ammo that has been or is being used by law enforcement in either surplus or civilian market equivalent. Currently my Glock 19 is stocked with Winchester Ranger Partitions with spare magazines loaded with the same and Federal Hydra Shoks not for any particular belief in their superiority oer any other such ammo.

T.huynh
November 17, 2011, 11:54 PM
Corbon dpx. It has some AMAZING expansion. You guys should check it out.

Mr.357Sig
November 18, 2011, 12:15 AM
I carry Fiocchi Extrema XTP in my Glock 31 (.357 Sig). I carry Remington Golden Sabres and Gold Dots in my 9mm Sig Sauer. Be sure to check out Buffalo Bore, Double Tap and Black Hills as well.

PabloJ
November 18, 2011, 02:13 AM
I would pick Speer's Gold Dot 124gr +P over choices provided. If I had to pick from three up there is would be Winchester 'Elite' PDX1.

rodinal220
November 18, 2011, 09:56 AM
I still have alot of Winchester Q4174 9mm 115gr +P+.My Browning HP like it.

97guns
November 18, 2011, 10:07 AM
i dont go for all the newest stuff on the scene, i usually buy whats on sale with decent ballistics. right now im sitting on a case of fiocchi 115 grain and federal 147 grain hi-shock

Water-Man
November 18, 2011, 10:11 AM
Using a 4" barrel, I carry Federal HST-LE Tactical 147gr. 9mm.

solvability
November 18, 2011, 10:14 AM
Winchester Ranger T 127gr +p+
+1 for me.

minutemen1776
November 18, 2011, 10:21 AM
I would pick Speer's Gold Dot 124gr +P over choices provided.

+1 to this

Hemoglobin
November 18, 2011, 10:41 AM
Winchester Ranger or PDX, Federal HST, Gold Dot, or Cor-Bon DPX. It's all good stuff!

Snowbandit
November 18, 2011, 10:42 AM
I use the Winchester 127 grain +p+ T-series. In reality I think any of the modern defense ammo from the big manufactures is pretty effective.

Onward Allusion
November 18, 2011, 11:00 AM
The latest whiz-bang carry ammo is overrated. IMO, most any top tier make/brand of 9mm HP made in the last 15 years will do the trick if the shot is place properly. Hell, I wouldn't feel naked carrying NATO FMJ rounds in mine.

Wishoot
November 18, 2011, 01:54 PM
Other

Gold Dot 124 +P

Dean1818
November 18, 2011, 03:06 PM
Cordon DPX

HST

Should ALWAYS appear on a list like this

They are simply.... The best

BBDartCA
November 18, 2011, 03:30 PM
Speer 124g +P gold dot

doc540
November 18, 2011, 03:36 PM
all copper Barnes bullets in CorBon DPX

briansmithwins
November 18, 2011, 05:17 PM
Currently carrying 124gr +P Gold Dots. I would not be worried carrying Remington 115gr +P or Federal 9BPLE either.

I avoid Winchester as they have pumped out too much crappy pistol ammo for me to ever trust them again.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

BSW

Dogguy
November 18, 2011, 05:33 PM
Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot, both 124 gr. +P.

JayBoogs
November 18, 2011, 05:44 PM
My nightstand & HD ammo is the Hornady CD & TAP..

jehicks87
November 18, 2011, 05:53 PM
The 9pble is ancient technology and not the best performer in any recent testing. I believe the issue was lack of expansion and early fragmentation.

And the .45 acp is ancient technology as well, with many other calibers showing better terminal performance. That doesn't mean it won't get the job done.

The 9pble load is PROVEN, not ancient.

mljdeckard
November 18, 2011, 05:56 PM
I would use 147 gr jhp. I think that Critical Defense is a bit of a gimmick, nothing wrong with it, but I doubt it performs through clothing any differently than any other premium JHP round.

NG VI
November 18, 2011, 08:04 PM
The only ballistics that matter are terminal ballistics.

I like 147+P or standard pressure HST. Good sharp profile when expanded, extremely consistent performance, frequently outperforms bonded bullets through barriers, good medium amount of penetration, cheaper than any other bullet capable of the same level of performance (consistency and overall), and I've never found a gun that didn't like them in either 9mm or .40.

papa_bear
November 18, 2011, 10:09 PM
I'm not sure you know what your talking about. 9pble is ancient tech. Most Leo's left the 9mm back when 9pble was the best round available. Thanks to some of the modern gen HP's some departments are going back to 9mm. You should do some homework you might be surprised what you find. You seem to be quoting "Stopping Power" circa 1988. Modern advancement in 9mm ammunition has come along way my friend.

Choclabman
November 19, 2011, 07:27 AM
Other.

Winchester 127gr +p +.

Myself and my wife use this load for SD. It has proven 100% reliable in all our 9mm's.

jehicks87
November 19, 2011, 08:31 AM
I'm not sure you know what your talking about. 9pble is ancient tech. Most Leo's left the 9mm back when 9pble was the best round available. Thanks to some of the modern gen HP's some departments are going back to 9mm. You should do some homework you might be surprised what you find. You seem to be quoting "Stopping Power" circa 1988. Modern advancement in 9mm ammunition has come along way my friend.

this is exactly why I don't base what I carry on what the police carry. 9pble has a ca. 91% one-shot-stop rate as of 2001, the latest report I have seen.

I agree there are "better" bullets out there, but I don't agree calling the 9pble loading "ancient" and the implication that it doesn't make the grade. That was the point of comparing ancient technology to ancient technology (9pble to .45acp)... are there arguably better options than either of those? Yes. Will either of those get the job done, and quickly? Yes.

It's also $10 cheaper per box of 50 than the ranger or gold dot loadings, so I can actually shoot more of my personal carry ammo through my personal weapon for my dollar.

PX15
November 19, 2011, 09:49 AM
Other ~

Double-tap.

J.

Lama
November 19, 2011, 09:57 AM
For my carry gun, the first two shots are Hornady Critical Defense. After that, I use Federal FMJ. My thinking is that if you don't bring down your target in the first couple of shots, your target will probably be behind cover, and the FMJ will be more effective.

Loosedhorse
November 19, 2011, 10:05 AM
Corbon dpxAgreed.

Be aware that the same all-copper Barnes HP (XPB/Tac-XP) bullet is loaded by Federal, DoubleTap, ASYM, Hurrricane and Wilson.

Might be something there!

jehicks87
November 19, 2011, 10:19 AM
I wanted to say one more thinh about the ''what the polic use'' idea.

True, many fantastic loadings are marketed specifically for law enforcement uses. And most shooting studies involve police officers. But politics and personal whim dictacte as much what a given pd will carry as much as performance. Policemen carried .38 revolvers for decade, even when better options were available and all studies pointed to the dismal ''stopping power'' the available loadings provided. Has bullet technology made the .38, and truthfullyall other calibers, much more potent? You betcha. But that is a newer development not pertanent to the point. Those were not available 20, 30 years ago when policemen and women were going into harms way armed with an inadequate, even by the standards of the time, round.

I know that there are certain loads in 9mm, which is a caliber I already have a weapon chambered for, that I can shoot 10 BGs with and the law of odds tells me 9 of them will stop what they are doing after hitting them just one time, regardless of the fact that some police force somewhere else doesn't use that load anymore.

When I take all loads that provide THAT performance (91% one-shot stop) and then weigh the price between them, I find the one load with the largest number of shootings by far to also be 33% cheaper than the others. Brand X or Y may be better in ballistics gelatin, but all are equal in real life situations. So why go with anything different?

The answer is personal preference, something police officers and soldiers like myself are not able to excersize when it comes to ammo choice. I don't carry nato hardball, even though the largest armed force in the country mandates it, so why would I carry any other load simply because a smaller armed force carries it?

Yes, I also do believe in ''stopping power'' as tabboo as it may be on THR. All people are different, all situations are different, but given the same circumstance with the same BG and the only variable is what he is hit with, a 10mm will stop him quicker than a .40, a .45 will stop him quicker than a 9mm, and a .50 BMG will stop him quicker than all of those. A mack truck would probably provide the best stopping power I could hope for, but I don't carry a mack truck, a .50 bmg, a 10mm, or a .40. I carry a .45 and a 9mm, so within those groups I hope to find the best load I can afford to become profficient with that will give me a slight edge over something else I could have chosen.

Yes, I have done my homework. I take a bit of offense to your remark. And I stand by my decision, which I could change on a whim tomorrow and that wouldn't make me any less correct today.

To the OP, I apologize for getting off-track.

theicemanmpls
November 19, 2011, 10:49 AM
For my carry gun, the first two shots are Hornady Critical Defense. After that, I use Federal FMJ. My thinking is that if you don't bring down your target in the first couple of shots, your target will probably be behind cover, and the FMJ will be more effective.

What if you miss with your first couple of shots? IMHO, mixing the ammo of your carry pistol is just inviting trouble.

glockman19
November 19, 2011, 12:51 PM
I carry:

Federal Hydrashok or Speer Gold Dot's.

Stormin.40
November 19, 2011, 01:32 PM
Federal 147gr HST +p

MikeNice
November 19, 2011, 07:55 PM
Winchester Ranger Bonded 147gr is my personal choice for carry.

A Link to an informal test of several rounds. It isn't ballistic gel but you can see how different rounds compare to each other. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=621193)

P5 Guy
November 19, 2011, 08:20 PM
Remington Golden Saber 124+p.

David E
November 19, 2011, 08:53 PM

You can fire those two shots in 1/4 second. How far could he get towards cover in 1/4 second?

What about his buddies?

FMJ in the spare mag might make sense, but not after the first 2 rds on the first mag.

skoro
November 19, 2011, 09:40 PM
Please vote and if you would like, comment on why you voted that way.

I think any of the choices listed would do just fine.

But I voted "other" because I carry something different in my 9mm. I like Federal HST, Speer Gold Dots, and Remington Golden Sabers.

NG VI
November 20, 2011, 01:36 AM

What kind of cover would be better negated by an FMJ pistol bullet than a JHP pistol bullet, and what kind of situation do you envision where you are firing at someone who is hiding behind solid objects that doesn't end with either a police standoff and shooting of you or a murder trial?

JHP bullets penetrate less than an equivalent FMJ bullet in heavily liquid mediums, like living tissue, but in dry materials like furniture and walls they behave identically, there is almost no difference between the two after passing through a couch or cabinet. Loading FMJ because you think your opponent is likely to have sought cover strikes me as a poorly thought out plan. If your entire magazine is JHP, then if he takes cover and you still feel like he is a legitimate threat, bullets passing through that cover at worst will behave like an FMJ bullet of the same weight and velocity. At best they will perform close to the way they were intended to, expanding once they hit tissue and causing more damage than an equivalent FMJ.

You gain literally nothing by loading the rest of your magazine with FMJ, and lose much-needed terminal performance. Honestly if you're stuck trying to keep yourself alive, you want the deck stacked as heavily as possible in your favor, and just repeating that FMJ has served militaries and killed people just fine for a century ignores the reality that in a service pistol, a proper JHP load is in every way a better choice.

Unless your pistol refuses to feed them, in which case you have a hardware issue, because just about every modern pistol will run with any in-spec JHP, and the ones that won't usually don't take much coaxing to get right.

frank c
November 20, 2011, 02:44 AM
Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+

It is a wicked load for 9mm and your Glock 19 should eat it safely and reliably.
Agree on the winchester T 127 +p.

surferdaddy
November 20, 2011, 03:23 AM
I'm a big fan of the federal hst 124 gr +p . Nasty stuff.

ku4hx
November 20, 2011, 04:24 AM
I don't often carry a 9mm, but when I do I carry Remington Golden Saber 124. Stay hungry my friend.

Fisherdave10
November 20, 2011, 05:00 AM
Hornady CD is the round I would trust most to expand the most consistently, which is extremely important. I don't like carrying a lighter weight bullet at modest velocities. I want something with a little more power. The WWB 147gr HP and Supreme 124gr PDX1 have not had reliable expansion as much as other rounds.

There are much better choices out there. I would carry first the Federal HST 147gr, second the Winchester Ranger-T 147gr and third, the Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P.

I currently carry the Ranger-T but the HSTs seem to be more reliable and have greater expansion. They're definitely on my 'buy' list. The Speer Gold Dot or Hornady Critical Defense do seem more 'politically correct' if that matters at all since you can buy them over the counter at a local sporting goods store. The HSTs or Ranger-Ts are packaged for L.E. use and you will probably have to order them online. To the best of my knowledge, there are no laws prohibiting these rounds to be owned by civilians. You can also get Gold Dots in L.E. packaging. They'll run about half the price compared to the Gold Dots in civilian packaging.

Fisherdave10
November 20, 2011, 05:12 AM

.......really?.....:scrutiny::confused:

If you want to go to prison for shooting through cover at a person who is probably fleeing and hiding from you (you know that's what a prosecutor would say regardless of the circumstances), go ahead.
Sorry, but choosing to carry FMJ for personal defense against people is plain stupid. As mentioned above, hollow points will probably penetrate hard objects just as well as FMJs because hollow points open hydraulically.

Please be more responsible in your carry ammo choice. Expanding rounds are much safer than FMJs (as long as you're not the one being shot) for a wide variety of reasons.

Shawn Dodson
November 20, 2011, 12:05 PM
My defense 9MMs, Glock 19 and Kahr PM-9, are loaded with Speer 124gr +P JHP for defense. It's proven itself a dependable performer. Most importantly I can purchase 50 rd boxes for less than $30. (I use this load simply to maintain ammo commonality between the two guns.)

If the Glock 19 was my only 9MM defense pistol then I'd choose Federal 147gr HST, which is an excellent performer and can also be purchased for less than $30 for 50 rounds.

I don't recommend Hornady Critical Defense Ammo because it's specialty ammo. It's designed to perform well against attackers who are wearing light to heavy clothing only. It's not designed to perform well against other barrier materials that can be encountered during CCW (automotive windshield glass & sheet metal). See: "A Word of Caution about Hornady’s Critical Defense Handgun Ammunition": at http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/2006/04/main.htm

intercooler
November 20, 2011, 05:45 PM
I like ranger t 147. Easy control and plain nasty!

c1ogden
November 20, 2011, 08:10 PM
After eliminating any load that is less than 100% reliable in YOUR GUN, use the one that is most accurate/that YOU shoot the best with.

Shot placement is the most important factor in stopping the threat.

Pukindog12
November 20, 2011, 08:46 PM
Remington Golden Saber 124 +P

jackpinesavages
November 20, 2011, 09:02 PM
My duty weapon is a G19; we run Federal 124gr +P JHPs. Great accuracy improvement, IMO...

FMF Doc
November 20, 2011, 09:10 PM
When I carried my glock 19, I prefered Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P. I think this is one of the most accurate round out of the G19, and it has an excelent record for expansion through all kinds of cloths. Generally, and each gun varries, I find the 4-5" 9x19 shoot 124-135gr closer to point of aim better than most other weights. All other factors aside, shoot what is closest in POA/POI for YOUR G19. Good luck.

Lonestar49
November 20, 2011, 11:41 PM

In any of my 4" barreled 9mm's - without doubts

147gr JHP Winchester Ranger for both my 9mm's and 180gr w/any of my 40cals

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/Lonestar49/winchesterranger-t-new-1.gif

Cleanest, most consistent, accurate, shooting ammo - without doubt

OMMV

Ls

Mr.Blue
November 20, 2011, 11:56 PM
Speer Gold Dot 124+P.

Ben86
November 21, 2011, 12:49 AM
At the moment my 9mm carry ammo is 124 grain +P Winchester PDx1.

I'd be just as happy with Gold dot or Federal HST, but I try to stick with 124 grain +P. I'm not opposed to standard pressure, but I think that extra velocity edge is worth a little extra recoil.

Do yourself a favor and overcome this outdated and erroneous line of thought.

RinkRat
November 21, 2011, 02:15 AM
I was at a show last week and was going to get a couple boxes of the Winchester T-Series 9mm 127gr +P+ RA9TA but the ends of the casings and the primers didn't look crescently fresh, shiny clean, and had what appeared to be, maybe, a little corrosion?? The eight boxes they had all had the same embossed code on the end flap of the box and all looked that way, so I thought they might be a bit old or were maybe sitting around in the wrong atmosphere for too long. So I passed.

I did buy some 45 Auto +P 230gr RA45TP, which looked clean and shiny new.

How do you read the embossed letters and numbers code on the end flap on the boxes? Will it give you just a lot number or can it tell you when it was manufactured too?

Should I have just bought the 9mm and not worried about the appearance of the primer area? Or did I do the right thing?

With all the weather and humidity issues in various areas, these ammo dealers at the shows might buy up an old lot of ammo, or one that sat in the wrong environment for too long ?? though this one I see all the time at the three local area shows, and they always have the largest and a very complete selection, at very good prices too. I get some ammo from them every show and haven't had any problems with even one round from them ... yet. Though I always do look it over before I buy it :D

MikeNice
November 21, 2011, 03:59 AM
Rink, if they don't ask for proof you are a LEO they are probably selling department surplus or somebody else's overstock. If it doesn't look right you should pass. There is no telling why it was dumped off.

I usually buy mine from SJ ammo. I have yet to have a bad Ranger HP. I have had a box of Ranger fmj that was over pressure though. It was actually the best looking box of ammo I had ever recieved from an online dealer. It just goes to show that cosmetics are only half the equation.

theicemanmpls
November 21, 2011, 02:11 PM
Where did you read the unsatisfactory testing results? I can't find out anything negitive on the internet regarding this load.

gofastman
November 21, 2011, 04:53 PM
Federal HST 147gr +P.
ditto.
P9HST4

if I had a 4" or longer barrel I would also take:
124gr +P Gold Dot
124gr +P HST
115gr +P DPX
probably in that order.

Aiko492
November 21, 2011, 05:22 PM
Federal HST 124 or 147 gr +P or Winchester Ranger T 147 gr +P

wnycollector
November 21, 2011, 06:01 PM
Another vote for the 9BPLE (+P+ 115gr). Yes it's an old round...with a very long real world track record of stopping bad people from doing bad things.

wally
November 21, 2011, 07:10 PM
I don't carry a 9mm, but if I did it'd be with 147 gr HP ammo. Brand is much less important that your skill at putting the round in the vitals. Bullet placement, placement, and penetration are the three most important things in handgun effectiveness.

RinkRat
November 22, 2011, 01:01 AM
MikeNice ^^^

who is SJ Ammo?

I've been mostly using Winchester T-Series and I've never had a bad round yet myself.

I also have used their PDX1. And have some 9mm Speer GD 124gr +P for short barrel too.

I don't have any recoil or feeding issues and I get reasonable accuracy too.

And yes when ever I get ammo regardless of if it's at a gun store or a show, I always open the box and look it over, because... once I was at Cabela`s and while I looked inside the box. One of their sales people was stocking the shelve and said we would rather you didn't open the boxes sir. I said well look-ee here :p there are a couple rounds missing!! :scrutiny:

He said oops sorry I'll let the manager know, I'm just doing what I was told :(

Do you open and look inside the carton when you buy eggs? Or do you wait till you get home to find out a couple are broken :neener:

MikeNice
November 22, 2011, 01:26 AM
I meant to type SGammo. They are an online company that sells LE ammo at great prices. They have common ammo types as well. I always check there for HPs or "better" range ammo.

Pilot
November 22, 2011, 09:06 AM
Cor-Bon. 124 grain +p.

Madcap_Magician
November 22, 2011, 10:55 AM
Winchester Ranger 127-gr. +P+ or 124-gr. +P.
Speer Gold Dot 124-gr. +P.

Hypnogator
November 22, 2011, 01:59 PM
In a full-sized battle pistol, I'd go with 124-gr. Federal HSTs.

In a compact 9mm, (like my PF-9) I carry 115-gr. Cor-Bon DPXs. Deep penetration and excellent expansion, even through heavy clothing, with less muzzle-flip. :cool:

papa_bear
November 22, 2011, 01:59 PM
@ theiceman...... Sorry the quote function doesn't work on my phone. I can't find the FBI report but I did read it a while back. I also believe I read reports from other agencies which I just don't have the time to find. However, a quick Google search brings up plenty of info. Here are a few unscientific links
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=152345
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/140206-any-reviews-federal-classic-9bple-ammo-2.html
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258792

SouthernBoy
November 23, 2011, 10:41 PM
My preferences in 9mm carry loads are the following, in no particular order;

o Federal HST 124gr +P
o Federal HST 147gr +P
o Gold Dot LEO (53617) 124gr +P

On occasion, I have also carried Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ RA9TA.

ChCx2744
November 23, 2011, 11:25 PM
My favorite carry loads in 9mm are as followed (In no particular order):

-Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P Bonded GDHP
-Federal LE Tactical HST 124gr +P JHP
-Winchester Ranger T-Series 127gr +P+ JHP

Of the 3, the HST is the cheapest, the T-Series is the second cheapest and the Gold Dots are the most expensive. I, personally, like the Gold Dots the best.

theicemanmpls
November 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
@ theiceman...... Sorry the quote function doesn't work on my phone. I can't find the FBI report but I did read it a while back. I also believe I read reports from other agencies which I just don't have the time to find. However, a quick Google search brings up plenty of info. Here are a few unscientific links
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=152345
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/140206-any-reviews-federal-classic-9bple-ammo-2.html
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258792
Interesting results. I carried this load daily when I carried a G-17 for a living. My choice of rounds will always put a major hurt on a bad guy. I will change to something better when I burn through my 500 rounds of the 9BPLE+P+. This will take about ten years. I will use this load on the rare days I carry a 9mm. I agree there is better stuff out there. However, this load still works.

This data was taken from StoppingPower.net:

10% Ballistic Gelatin Tests for:
Federal 9mm 115gr. +p+ 9BPLE

Testing Platform: Glock 19

Barrier: 4 Layers of Denim

TEST RESULTS:

Round # 1:
Penetration: 12.50"
Recovered Weight: 110.1 gr.
Expansion*: .680 cal.
Velocity: 1298 fps.
Notes: .680 at widest “leg,” .551 cal average diameter.

* Expansion measured at widest point.

Jonah71
November 24, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hornady Critical Defense in most of my nines. But it won't feed in my old 2003 CZ 75 B.

shooter_from_show-me
November 24, 2011, 01:20 PM
Winchester Ranger 127gr +p+ in my Springfield XD Service with tritium sights:p

D Rock
November 24, 2011, 01:29 PM
I go with Hornady Critical Defense FXT. Here's a shot of 6 rounds thru a layer of denim and about 8" of wet phone books.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g466/darock2/HCD102411web.jpg

When I can't find Hornady I use Remington Golden Saber 9mm 124 +P although in my area I sometimes have no luck finding that either.

Dave

Shawn Dodson
November 24, 2011, 01:29 PM
This data was taken from StoppingPower.net:

10% Ballistic Gelatin Tests for:
Federal 9mm 115gr. +p+ 9BPLE

Testing Platform: Glock 19

Barrier: 4 Layers of Denim

TEST RESULTS:

Round # 1:
Penetration: 12.50"
Recovered Weight: 110.1 gr.
Expansion*: .680 cal.
Velocity: 1298 fps.
Notes: .680 at widest “leg,” .551 cal average diameter.

* Expansion measured at widest point.

The data were obtained from uncalibrated ordnance gelatin or non-standard ordnance gelatin, which incorrectly depicts deeper penetration performance than the round actually achieves.

Redneck with a 40
November 24, 2011, 02:17 PM
I bought a box of 115 grain +p+ 9pble Federal hp's for 20 bucks/50. For that price I couldn't resist, its proven ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm Carry Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!