Question about springs for a 1911 in 9mm

PDA

Josh45
November 17, 2011, 11:47 PM
Would these 1911 springs work in a 1911 chambered in 9mm? I know parts are interchangeable between 1911 but I am not sure about the different chamberings. I would assume yes and Im sorry for the question seeming silly but I would rather be positive. :banghead:

Thanks for any info! :D

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121433/wolff-recoil-calibration-spring-pack-1911-government-reduced-power

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about springs for a 1911 in 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BCRider
November 18, 2011, 12:49 AM
If you read the information in the "note" in that ad you'll see that yes, it will work for a 9mm 1911.

Keep in mind that the recoil spring tuning is all about using as STIFF a spring as you can that still lets the slide lock back reliably at the last shot. Going softer than that just beats the frame and barrel lug up needlessly.

On the mainspring that operates the hammer if you are only using the gun for range time or competition you want to use the main spring that only just reliably sets off the primers all the time. On a defensive gun you would want to go to the next stiffer spring for insurance against grunging up or just running into harder primers in some ammo.

Josh45
November 18, 2011, 02:56 AM
I did notice it but was unclear as to if it was what I was looking for....Sorry it is late. And this gun is only going to a range gun for now and may become a carry gun if it works out well.

tipoc
November 18, 2011, 04:46 AM
The factory recommends a 14pd spring as standard for a 5" barreled GM in 9mm. That is what the note says.

Factory 1911 recoil springs are 16 pounds in 45 ACP, 14 pounds in 38 Super, 9mm Luger, 38 Special Midrange, Colt Ace 22 conversion kit, and 19 pounds in 40 S&W.

tipoc

ugaarguy
November 18, 2011, 12:14 PM
Keep in mind that the recoil spring tuning is all about using as STIFF a spring as you can that still lets the slide lock back reliably at the last shot. Going softer than that just beats the frame and barrel lug up needlessly.
That's what the spring makers would lead you to believe. 1911Tuner has dispelled that myth frequently. Read what he, Mac, and Bill told me here when I asked about recoil springs in a Delta Elite - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=620760 .

CMC
November 18, 2011, 08:43 PM
I use an 11 pound spring on my 5 inch 1911 9 mm and I havent noticed any "frame beating", it works fine.
Tried the 14 pound one and it increased felt recoil IMHO.

1911Tuner
November 19, 2011, 01:08 PM
Going softer than that just beats the frame and barrel lug up needlessly.

Oh, Lordy. This old myth just won't go away. :rolleyes:

A fella stopped by here about a month ago with a 9mm Commander clone that he'd built. Stovepipe and horizontal failures to eject. I rack the slide, and...whoa! Lotta spring in there, neighbor. Yep. "Standard" Commander spring. 18 pounds.

*Sigh*

I took the spring out of the gun, slipped in a FLGR to keep everything trackin' straight...and fired it. Empties sailed out of the port and landed about 5 feet away.

He ordered a 12-pound Wolff GM spring...clipped it to 24.5 coils...and reports that all is well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about springs for a 1911 in 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!