Is hunting a sport?

PDA

Gdbyrd
November 19, 2011, 07:09 PM
I got into an argument with a guy at work about this recently. I see it as a sport. He was being a real jerk about it, apparently he sees it as a beautiful creature and killing it is unnecessary; since we can get our food from the grocery store nowadays. Overall he says he sees me as a worse person now because he didn't know I did things like that...Spent about an hour trying to tell me why I shouldn't hunt..and that his friend had a pet deer and some hunter shot it and blah blah.

It takes a lot of time, energy, and money to be invested to be fruitful. His argument was that it would be a sport only if you used your bare hands to kill a deer or if the deer had a rifle....He says for it to be a sport it has to have an opponent. And he says that no other sports have the objective with the opponent to be "murdered." The fact that it's two different species had no bearing on the outcome....

Overall a pretty poor discussion with someone that's very ignorant. But those of you that do hunt. What do you see it as?

I can't stand people that are judgmental. If you don't like something that's your right. But you damn better not push your beliefs on other people. Seems the people I know that are the worst at this are usually living in ways that I feel are wrong...but hell, I'd never bring myself to their level to say anything about it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is hunting a sport?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
average_shooter
November 19, 2011, 07:18 PM
It's both a sport and not, in my mind.

Are you hunting for food? If so then it is not so much a sport, it is an activity that allows you to eat what you choose.

Are you hunting for that trophy rack to hang on your wall and really don't care about the meat? If so then you're hunting for the sport of it. Just to say, "I did that."

Really, a sport usually involves a trophy or recognition of the winner in some way, shape or form. That could be the meat in the freezer, but in current society we tend to oooh and ahhh over the trophy rack, not the tenderest loin.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
November 19, 2011, 07:34 PM
Hunting is more of a lifestyle than a sport in my own humble opinion. It's a tradition handed down to us since the dawn of man. Sure you can get everything you "need" at a grocery store. But uhhh ask your idiot friend this question and it SHOULD shut him up immediately. "Where does the meat in your beloved grocery store come from?" I've shut a hell of a lot of anti hunting people up with that simple and easily answered question. If they answer "From domesticated livestock that is MEANT to be eaten" then you may reply "So it's ok for one living animal to be slaughtered with absolutely no chance of living whatsoever but it's NOT ok to to go after a FREE ranging animal that has a hell of a lot more chance to not be taken?" or my favorite answer for that question is "Dumb a$$ cow all pumped full of steroids, antibiotics, and lord knows what else, verses, pretty dern smart deer that is leaner, no drugs, that will,more than not, get away from the hunter?"

lizziedog1
November 19, 2011, 07:38 PM
And he says that no other sports have the objective with the opponent to be "murdered."

I guess in football or boxing they might not be trying to kill each other, but they sure are not playing patty-cakes either.

His argument was that it would be a sport only if you used your bare hands to kill a deer

I guess NASCAR would really be sport if the drivers used thier hands to push their cars around the track.

MCgunner
November 19, 2011, 07:40 PM
There's sport hunting, there's market hunting, there's subsistence hunting. There are categories of hunting. Sport hunting, the hunting most of us do, I like to call a "participation sport". It's just not really a big fun thing to watch on TV on Outdoor Channel. One must DO this sport, not watch it. You don't win points so much as experiences and memories along with whatever meat or trophy rack you might receive through God's grace and your sure aim. :D

JMHO, though.

I guess NASCAR would really be sport if the drivers used thier hands to push their cars around the track.

Turn left, press peddle? Nah, I prefer MotoGP. :D Guess that subtracts from my redneck status. Oh, well.

Kendal Black
November 19, 2011, 07:47 PM
It used to be an occupation, and a very serious one. Now it is not so much a sport as a means of remembering our primordial selves, and that's important.

My favorite anti-anti-hunting argument is the deer need to be controlled somehow and man has long been a part of that--always and forever, if we count only those years when people have been on the planet. We could reduce human hunting to a degree, at least, by re-establishing large predators. Shall I sign up your neighborhood to get cougars, or wolves?

The Lone Haranguer
November 19, 2011, 07:56 PM
He was being a real jerk about it, apparently he sees it as a beautiful creature and killing it is unnecessary; since we can get our food from the grocery store nowadays.
You could cut the irony in this statement with a knife. Does he not realize that animals were still killed? I wonder if he wears a leather belt or shoes, carries a leather briefcase, etc. :rolleyes: Only a vegan can be intellectually honest (this isn't the same as correct) regarding the killing of animals for food or clothing and not be hypocritical.

But enough about that. I don't hunt (which is why I very rarely post in this section), but have been around it enough to know it is in fact a sport. One definition of a sport, IMO, is something that physically and mentally challenges you, and hunting does just that. Many hunters don't even get their quarry, either.

Sheepdog1968
November 19, 2011, 08:00 PM
Your title reminds me of the kind of college essays we had to write 20 years ago. To discuss if it is a sport or not ypu would need to go look up the definition in a dictoniary and go from there. I don't know if it would meet that definition or it. It is certainly something I enjoy doing. There are some who don't like hunting. For the most part, folks are unlikely to change their mind. I stopped worrying about it.

MCgunner
November 19, 2011, 08:18 PM
He was being a real jerk about it, apparently he sees it as a beautiful creature and killing it is unnecessary; since we can get our food from the grocery store nowadays.

I always hit these jerks with the Motor City Madman's argument, ---- so you're too lazy to put the animal down mercifully in nature, the natural predator/prey dance of servival of time immemorial the way God intended? Rather have someone else bludgeon your dinner to death for you?

gamestalker
November 19, 2011, 08:42 PM
I've heard the same thing over the many years of hunting from those who strongly oppose the SPORT. Your best approach to this type ignorance, is to simply refuse to engage his views.

I have been hunting for decades, and I still have difficulty watching a predator through a spotting scope that is eating a deer alive. Pulling the trigger or launching an arrow at an animal is as humane as it gets in comparison to how mother nature gets it done. We will always have to deal with those who label us as murdering maniacs. Don't let it get to you, just avoid those who refuse to understand the thrill of the hunt.

DesertFox
November 19, 2011, 10:16 PM
My wife is a pro bodybuilder... Talk about sport... We've had the "Is bodybuilding a sport?" discussion ad nauseam. As pointed out in previous posts, there are different kinds of hunting. I pretty much only do spot and stalk hunting myself. And I keep and eat most everything (not gonna be eating the wolf if I fill my tag)... Hunting a sport? It can be. But I agree that it more of a lifestyle for those of us who choose to participate. Most of the hunters I know are more of conservationists, supporting the species and the environment far more than some vegan anti-hunting nut living in a Metro jungle...

22-rimfire
November 19, 2011, 10:30 PM
His argument was that it would be a sport only if you used your bare hands to kill a deer or if the deer had a rifle....

I've heard this ignorant comment and simply ignore it. It is not worth discussing hunting with someone like this.

Unless you DO it, you or not likely to understand it.

shiftyer1
November 19, 2011, 10:46 PM
I guess it probably would be more sporting to punch and choke a deer to death?????????? So a quick death is wrong but a long drawn out struggle is ok? That confuses me immensly.

I know alot of people that don't consider hunting a sport, it's a way to put meat on the table, myself included sometimes. No hunting = little meat for the table.

If the people that cry for bambi ever see what goes on in slaughterhouses they'd buy your deer lisence for you!

Loosedhorse
November 19, 2011, 10:59 PM
If it is hunting, then it is a sport.

Drive to a tree stand, hunt close over an orchard, and shoot anything that shows up? Not much of a sport, IMHO.

Hike in to a stand before light, or stalk/still-hunt, call animals in, and pass up shots and animals that aren't exactly what you want: sport.

To the extent that an activity requires effort, skill, and decision with the outcome hanging in the balance, most of us would consider it a sport. To the extent that it requires little of those, and the outcome is given: not a sport--and probably not hunting.

303tom
November 19, 2011, 11:20 PM
To me it is Sport & Not............

ojibweindian
November 20, 2011, 08:29 AM
It's definitely a sport. Hiking several miles up, down, and around ridges with your gear and a rifle, and dragging the deer out of said ridges, is not something that can be done without a certain level of physical fitness. One has to train in the "off season" to maintain the level of fitness needed to do all that.

kludge
November 20, 2011, 08:47 AM
killing it is unnecessary; since we can get our food from the grocery store nowadays.

Quite a naive point of view, if you ask me. Killing is quite necessary to put meat in a package too.

And he says that no other sports have the objective with the opponent to be "murdered."

Aztecs, christian and lions, many others.

waterhill
November 20, 2011, 09:06 AM
Your coworker needs to look up the word murder in the dictionary.

ClickClickD'oh
November 20, 2011, 09:09 AM

Then he clearly doesn't have a very good grasp on history, the Romans and Aztecs in particular come to mind.

JohnBT
November 20, 2011, 09:47 AM
If cheerleading is a sport, anything can be. :cuss:

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 20, 2011, 09:57 AM
Well, we can hunt the deer or let them take over the world and then instead of seeing one killed on the road every ten to twenty miles there will be ten to twenty deer killed for every mile.

You cannot have the best of both worlds.

As humans take over land and turn rural countryside into city, the different animals need to be controlled in some way, or they will die anyway and take some people with them (the thought of my hitting a deer at 75 MPH in a car is not something I relish, or, say, airplanes hitting them upon takeoff and landing)!

Art Eatman
November 20, 2011, 10:00 AM
Buying meat in a grocery merely means that somebody was hired to "murder" the animal and do the scutwork.

A hunter does his own scutwork, providing meat for himself without the middlemen.

Me, I never worry about "sport", except to differentiate it from commercial market hunting.

Sport45
November 20, 2011, 10:07 AM
Many "sports" fall into grey areas. Consider snooker, billiards, and pool variations for instance. Some question whether golf or bowling should be considered as sports.

Me, I was programmed from childhood to consider sports to be activities performed by athletes and none of the above qualify. In my mind hunting is a hobby and the activities listed above are games. ;)

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 20, 2011, 10:09 AM
Some meat packing plants have been known to let the pig come down the chute into the boiling water to remove hair, BEFORE The pig has even had a chance to die!

I would rather take out a large game animal with a one-shot clean kill than watch the animal have a pneumatic bolt shot into its brain then sent down the chute to the boiling water before it is even dead.

I wouldn't even be able watch something like that without getting gag reflexes.:uhoh::cuss:

rodensouth
November 20, 2011, 04:50 PM
My response is always "Do you eat meat?". If the answer is yes I drill them mercilessly with logic until they submit or leave. I haven't lost yet.

If they reply "NO, I'm a vegan", I say that I respect their opinion, and would appreciate not being judged. I won't go further in discussion on matter and just leave if they continue.

Worked for me about 50 times in Vet school.

JohnBT
November 20, 2011, 04:50 PM
"I was programmed from childhood to consider sports to be activities performed by athletes"

At one time that might have worked.

Four words...

Place kicker.

Designated hitter.

MCgunner
November 20, 2011, 07:39 PM
"I was programmed from childhood to consider sports to be activities performed by athletes"

At one time that might have worked.

Four words...

Place kicker.

Designated hitter.

How about "golfer".

:D Most stick and ball "sports", to me, are GAMES. I really ain't into those games. I like motorcycle racing and competitive shooting, but I've participated in those. I didn't say I was that great at it, but I have participated, so I can appreciate the difficulty of it. I participated in competitive swimming and football and little league, too, just don't care to watch those sports on TV. They bore me. That's just me, though.

I really don't care if folks think hunting...sport hunting...is a "sport" or not. It won't deter me from my shotgun if you don't think duck hunting is a legit "sport". I ain't there to win anything other than memories and good times. :D

BeerSleeper
November 20, 2011, 08:04 PM
Never argue with idiots. They drag the conversation down to their level, and then they beat you with experience.

This guy's not going to get it, don't waste any more time. He's not only ignorant, but he's ignorant because he chooses to be, and even when you've pointed it out to him, he chooses to remain so.

I, for one, rather appreciate being on top of the food chain. If the day ever comes I am no longer on top of the food chain, well, then I think I'll appreciate it even more.

sixgunner455
November 20, 2011, 11:10 PM
No. Not a sport.

It's much more important than that.

eta: but according to the dictionary, if it is primarily done for recreation, it can be considered 'sport'.

HarcyPervin
November 21, 2011, 06:50 PM
Most stick and ball "sports", to me, are GAMES

Dumb. Off-topic. Wrong.

Sorry, but you're going to call stick and ball games "non-sports" and then brag about competitive swimming? Some say swimming is no sport, its just a way to keep from drowning. I'm not one of those, I used to swim too, but why are you pouring gas on the fire? I didn't realize that a prerequisite for people labeling their game/sport/hobby was they evaluate how entertained you are beforehand.

As far as hunting goes, sport for some, hobby/passtime for others, it just depends on your goals, and how you go about it I guess.

Why is it even important to label it sport/non-sport? It is a recreational activity/lifestyle/ etc.? Does it matter?

Sav .250
November 22, 2011, 07:32 AM
Sounds like he`s a card carring PETA creep.

Art Eatman
November 23, 2011, 09:27 PM
Enough. Probably not one of those things which will ever be resolved, when faced with emotional opinions...

If you enjoyed reading about "Is hunting a sport?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!