Plastic Tipped Bullets. Time to see the gunsmith/warranty claim?

PDA

HarcyPervin
November 21, 2011, 05:53 PM
I tried posting this before, but due to the title of my thread, I don't think I got the audience I wanted. My tikka t3 lite has been munching on the tips of my Hornady SST 165s. Is this an indication of a problem?

Below is a picture of a round that was at the top of the magazine and chambered by working the action. I worked it relatively slowly, but nothing out of the ordinary happened. It may be hard to tell, but a chunk was taken out of the [plastic] tip. (will probably have to click on the image to get a good idea of the damage)

These are the rounds that were in the magazine after one round was fired. The two on the right side are facing up were in the magazine, and have an uncirculated round between them for comparison. I'm assuming that this flattening is a result of the recoil (I didn't think a 30-06 would do this much damage) This doesn't worry me as they are about the same profile as an average soft point. However, whatever snagged the first one, could possibly do more damage. The one on the far left was in my pocket and was surprisingly dull in color compared to the new ones, but no biggie there.

I apologize that already saw this in my other thread, but I didn't really get what I was after, and wanted to try again. Is this something that others have experienced with their guns, bolt action and otherwise? Should I consider bringing it in to the gunsmith?

I think it must either be snagging on the feed ramp or on the top of the chamber, but am not sure and do not want to void any warranties by going after it myself.

Thanks for the help.

Mods. - please move to rifle country, forgot I was in the hunting thread.

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "Plastic Tipped Bullets. Time to see the gunsmith/warranty claim?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Screamin'Eagle
November 21, 2011, 05:59 PM
I am not closely familiar with the tikka t3 lite, does it have a blind mag or a door on the bottom?

HarcyPervin
November 21, 2011, 06:38 PM
Blind mag with 3 round capacity. It's just injection molded plastic with a spring and a follower. There's room in there ahead of the rounds, and the action is designed around the 30-06. I'm doubting theres an OAL problem, I'm doubting Hornady is selling rounds that are out-of-spec that aren't from their custom department.

rjfunk
November 21, 2011, 10:20 PM
Those pictures look exactly like when I loaded my 270 SST's a little long for the magazine in my Browning A-bolt. There was room ahead of the tips in the magazine, but the recoil moved them and they dented just like yours did.

I would put some in the magazine and one in the chamber and fire a shot. Then open action and look the in the magazine and see what they look like. If they are dented, then it's the recoil that's doing it. Maybe the spring is weak and not providing enough pressure to hold the extra cartridges in place.

If you're not jamming the bolt forward, there shouldn't be enough pressure to damage the tips that badly in the chamber without you noticing.

HarcyPervin
November 22, 2011, 10:50 AM
I would put some in the magazine and one in the chamber and fire a shot. Then open action and look the in the magazine and see what they look like. If they are dented, then it's the recoil that's doing it. Maybe the spring is weak and not providing enough pressure to hold the extra cartridges in place.

I did exactly this, and the picture is the result of that. I'm more worried that something was taking a chunk out of the tips. I found small fragments of red plastic in there after unloading. I cleaned the barrel out and the action and got the same result when I tried again. If it was taking a chunk out of the point, I'm assuming it'll take a big chunk out of a flattened tip.

rjfunk
November 22, 2011, 01:12 PM
When you did it the second time, was the top cartridge missing a chunk of the bullet tip again? i.e. did the chunk go missing in the mag. or when the cartridge was chambered? If it wasn't chipped in the mag, work the action slowly, watching the cartridge being chambered closely to see if you can see anything. That's about all I can think of. Good luck.

HarcyPervin
November 22, 2011, 02:33 PM
The chunk was taken out when the round was chambered, not while in the magazine. I'm going to have to sit down with this for awhile, but the problem is that the loading/ejection port on the tikkas is quite small, so its tough to see what's going on in there.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 22, 2011, 02:39 PM
Those plastic pointed projectiles look cool and all that, however I have NEVER been sold on them. I just don't buy them. I don't want a piece of plastic in my hollow point and I don't want a piece of plastic on the nose of a ball ammo round.

When those first came out, they were like the rage, everyone seemed to want to use them (that is everyone except for me).:confused:

HarcyPervin
November 22, 2011, 02:42 PM
Those plastic pointed projectiles look cool and all that, however I have NEVER been sold on them. I just don't buy them. I don't want a piece of plastic in my hollow point and I don't want a piece of plastic on the nose of a ball ammo round.

When those first came out, they were like the rage, everyone seemed to want to use them (that is everyone except for me).

Well that's helpful. Problem is the 165 Superformance group great in my gun, and this is a question about the functionality of the gun, not preference for type of projectiles.

Trent
November 22, 2011, 02:54 PM
It shouldn't be doing that, for sure. It's almost like the feed ramp has a sharp ledge that's biting them. I've seen that before on Norinco NHM-91's - the "big AK's". Those won't feed hollowpoint ammo whatsoever because the feed ramp in the trunion sits too high. Hollowpoints jam on the nose, get a big chunk taken out of them, or squishes the bullet out of round so it won't chamber, period. (Klashnikov actions cycle rather ... aggressively)

I was able to correct the issue with a bit of smithing - involved welding additional material to the feed ramp, and using a dremel to smooth it all out. First attempt at changing dimensions of the feed ramp were a bust - grinding it lower just resulted in a sharper ledge that CUT bullets instead of smooshing them. The only solution was to add material to the ramp to create a longer ramp.

I'm not familiar at all with your rifle, but based on what I see above, you are facing a very similar problem.

68wj
November 22, 2011, 03:20 PM
My Ruger has a sharp edge on the chamber and catches the shoulder of the case sometimes and shaves a piece of brass. Not sure how your rifle is, but it may be there rather than the feed ramp or magazine.

As far as the tips deforming in the mag, that is just physics at work. I imagine that the rifle is lightweight, and the recoil is stiff. The tips will push into the magazine wall and can dull like that. Lead tips can do it too, and depending on the materials used, be even worse. It should have no measurable impact on your accuracy though.

husker
November 22, 2011, 07:07 PM
Have you tried a solid copper round to see if it is gouged or scratched bad at the tip?

Looks like a nasty bur somewhere to me

hoghunting
November 23, 2011, 12:04 AM
The front inside edge on my T3 magazines have a sharp corner, so I used a file and knocked the sharp edge off. I load Hornady Interbonds and haven't had pieces dug out of the tips.

Coal Dragger
November 23, 2011, 12:09 AM
Slight deformations to the tip of a bullet shouldn't be a big deal. On the other hand a well designed magazine will have a shoulder built in to stop rounds from moving forward under hard recoil or handling.

HarcyPervin
November 23, 2011, 10:34 AM
Hoghunting, did you ever shoot before you knocked the edge down?

biggameballs
November 23, 2011, 01:10 PM
You should've bought a Browning.

HarcyPervin
November 23, 2011, 01:20 PM
You should've bought a Browning.

You misspelled "safe-queen"

AABEN
November 23, 2011, 01:58 PM
If you are reloading them you need to make the crimp a little more to hold them in place.

HarcyPervin
November 23, 2011, 03:40 PM
these are factory hornady superformance 165 SST's. I'm going to work on it this afternoon, will post results, but am still open to ideas/suggestions.

thanks guys

hoghunting
November 24, 2011, 12:24 AM
Hoghunting, did you ever shoot before you knocked the edge down?

Yes, but noticed the sharp edge when working up my loads. Never noticed any plastic pieces in the magazine though. I noticed the edge when I felt the case mouth hitting it when chambering a round.

If you are reloading them you need to make the crimp a little more to hold them in place.

This problem isn't the bullet moving in the case, it's the round moving in the magazine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Plastic Tipped Bullets. Time to see the gunsmith/warranty claim?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!