746LBS bear taken in PA

PDA

336A
November 23, 2011, 05:19 PM
Read aboit it here http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38615

If you enjoyed reading about "746LBS bear taken in PA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
22-rimfire
November 23, 2011, 07:24 PM
That's a BIG black bear.

MachIVshooter
November 23, 2011, 09:00 PM
He's about twice the size of the largest ones we get around here.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
November 24, 2011, 11:38 AM
Mach, thats about twice to almost 3 times the average bear shot in PA as well. But it seems, going by PA's game commission website, that it is becoming common to see them over 650 now. But baiting and dog running bear is illegal in PA so the smart ones avoid most hunters and get big, fat, and old.

Zombiphobia
November 24, 2011, 02:46 PM
he makes the ones in N FL look like cuddly teddie's

hardluk1
November 24, 2011, 03:27 PM
Floridas to biggest bears wear a road kill in collier county at 624lblb 8 year old and the largest was 634lb in volussa co. NC record bear is a 880lb bear 10.1/2 year old and eat pig scraps for his meals. Lived near a pig processor. We have ever year some mid 400lb bears killed but that is a big bear. Wonder what he was raiding for dinner.

paintballdude902
November 24, 2011, 11:26 PM
hardluk pretty sure it was 890 in '98. it was shot in my old county (craven) shot by dolly partons cousin

35 Whelen
November 25, 2011, 03:03 AM
Something doesn't look right about that bear. Eyes appear to be open like the black bear rug I have. If it had been gutted, wouldn't there be blood on the cart? Wouldn't there be bloody hair on its underside? If it hasn't been gutted, why and how would they load and transport something weighing nearly 750 lbs.?
Also, animal I've ever shot through the chest/lungs bled from the mouth and nose.
Just sayin'...

35W

hardluk1
November 25, 2011, 10:03 AM
paintball It was the craven county bear but the state record has it as a 880lb bear. Might have been 890. Any way its a big sucker. It did find that Penn. has 8 bears recorded over 800 lbs. They got some woppers up there.

35 whelen Maybe it just hang'n out after eating a 200lb pig. Not all animals look the same when died and maybe thinking they had a new record got a tractor to pick it up to get it weighted quickly. Or it ain't reall !!!!! Naaa

paintballdude902
November 25, 2011, 01:32 PM
i may be wrong then. i havent looked at any of they info in a long time. i remember when it was shot the only way my dad could explain it to me was that it weighs as much as a horse =O for a 10 year old kid it was amazing

tahunua001
November 26, 2011, 09:58 AM
that's about 3 times our average boars out here, the sows are smaller than some dogs

Rob96
November 26, 2011, 10:03 PM
Nothing fake about the picture. Google 746 pound bear in PA and you will get several news stories. You will also get a run down of the top bears taken this year

Ohio Gun Guy
November 26, 2011, 10:13 PM
I was expecting a fat bear.....that was a BIG all around bear!

Squibster
December 6, 2011, 06:24 PM
Talk to a state trapper in your area, you may be surprised. They trap them around here (California Sierras) and they go over 700 pounds very often. I was at the taxidermist and he had what appeared to be a brown bear rug salted out on the floor, turns out it was a large brown phase. Shot by a kid with a 22-250. I shot a pretty good one way back in the hills and the head and hide weighed a hundred and fifty pounds. I think that bear was around 400 pounds. I am pretty sure he thought I was another bear as I was following the fresh track of a small bear, probably a sow. I made a noise and he came down the hill and I shot him. His heart was as big as a cantalope. Big bears are like fat men, they are not generally taller just wider. I have seen them so fat their stomach drags on the ground. They go to the fawning grounds and eat fawns in the summer. Those big ones are scratchers generally and that might be why they just keep getting bigger, no one wants a scarfy bear rug.

Did you know that most western does have a heat cycle if their first did not take? April there is another rut. I've seen a lot of brand new fawns in September and October. And the bears aren't stupid, they are there too. There are some nice big fat fluffy coyotes that time of the year too. I figure I am doing the deer herd some good.

You learn a lot by getting off the computer and getting outside...which is what I am going to do now.

Rob96
December 7, 2011, 03:44 AM
Preliminary reports for PA:
largest- 767 pounds
10 bears over 678 pounds
81 bears over 500 pounds

Zeke/PA
December 7, 2011, 07:49 PM
I heard a PA Game Commission official say not that long ago that it won't be long before a world record Black Bear is taken in this state.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
December 7, 2011, 08:19 PM
Wouldn't be surprised at that at all Zeke/PA. Without the use of dogs or baiting, hunting bear is pretty rough. Most every bear I saw taken in Pa over the years were juveniles under 300 pounds. Seen many that I had to believe were shot out from under their mother. With the deer populations that are in Pa, bears have a pretty good food source and they easily skirt most hunters on foot. It's amazing how quiet such a large animal can be in the woods.

eastbank
December 9, 2011, 09:50 AM
here,s a pa. black bear that went over 600lbs that was killed localy, you can see how massive the front shoulders are compared to the rear end. it,s no wonder they can kill with one swipe of a front paw. eastbank.

If you enjoyed reading about "746LBS bear taken in PA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!