Galco or Master's

PDA

bob40caliber
November 23, 2011, 11:33 PM
For an FN FNP 9........
what is the better choice, a Galco Concealable or a Master's Leather Pancake Holster?

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Galco or Master's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JTQ
November 24, 2011, 07:49 AM
I don't have experience with either.

For what it's worth, I spend some time on various gun forums, with most of that time in the holster sections of those forums, this one included. Prior to your post, I had not heard of Master's Leather. Additionally, I could not find a website for them either.

Conversely, Galco has been a big name in gun leather for a very long time. They are available at many on-line retailers and in most gun shops across the US.
http://www.usgalco.com/default.asp

Unless I could put my hands on the Master's holster and directly compare it the Galco counterpart and determine it was better, I'd pick the Galco.

There are lots of options for pancake holsters. You could do a search for them on this forum or Google the term.

A couple of makers that come to mind, that are favorites of members here are...

Simply Rugged "Cuda"
http://www.simplyrugged.com/cuda/

Lobo Gun Leather "Enhanced Pancake"
http://www.lobogunleather.com/14_enhanced_pancake_style_new_for_2010

A couple I have, are...

High Noon "Slide Guard", but the "Topless" model is similar, just without the sweat shield.
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Belt_Holsters/belt_holsters.html

If you'd like kydex, the Raven Concealment Phantom is good option.
http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/phantom-modular-holsters/phantom-modular-holster/phantom-modular-holster-fn-herstal

bob40caliber
November 24, 2011, 08:32 AM
JTQ--thanks, I will check them all out.

I have a link to a site called JP holsters which features Master's Leather holsters but that site seems to be down at the moment (it was working last night). I'll post it later today if it comes back up.

thanks again

JTQ
November 24, 2011, 01:35 PM
I saw that site before I made my earlier post, but I believe they are a reseller for Masters. You'd think Masters, the leather maker, would have a link of their own.

They may be great, but I'd be hesitant since there seems to be so little information out about them. Galco, whether you like them or not, have been around forever and you can get a lot of owners to tell you about them and you can find them in just about any gunstore in the US.

DeSantis and Don Hume are two other makers like Galco that you should be able to find at the local gun store.

bob40caliber
November 24, 2011, 04:05 PM
JTQ--Yes, Galco has a fine reputation and makes a very good product.

That site is up again----
http://www.jbpholsters.com/servlet/the-72/LEATHER-PANCAKE-GUN-HOLSTER/Detail

The Master holster is about $30. less and looks very similar to the Galco....so that is what prompted the question. Do I take a chance on the Master and maybe save the $30. or just pony up the extra $30. and get the Galco from the beginning.

Anyone have either the Galco Concealable or the Master's Leather Pancake holster and would like to weigh in?

thanks

Strykervet
November 24, 2011, 05:20 PM
Honestly, for the price, neither. When I went to Milt Sparks, I never looked back. Their holsters cost a little bit more than Galco (not by much!) but are phenomenal quality. My two Versa Max II's only cost around $100 each. Only drawback at all is that you have to wait months to get one, but they are definitely worth it.

I look at it this way. Galco is to holsters as Budweiser is to beers. They make a lot and do a good enough job to be popular. But Milt Sparks is to holsters like Trappist Belgian monks are to beer... There are only a handful of people making a spectacular product and they won't compomise the quality for quantity. How they keep their prices that low is, I guess, a testament to their values. They have sold for several hundred dollars on ebay to people who didn't want to wait on it...

If I needed one to hold me off or whatever, I like the kydex stuff. Bladetech is okay, I have one but I needed to do a lot of work to it to make it work and I had to epoxy the buttons shut to keep 'em shut on a Nano for a 340PD. I don't think the Bladetech stuff is nowhere near worth the price. They charge what Milt Sparks does basically for mass produced plastic! The Blackhawk Serpa with the level 2 retention is a great belt holster, especially for plastic frame pistols.

Not all $100 holsters are worth $100, but a few are worth twice that. I've found that getting a quality one from one of the great makers is the way to go --I've easily saved more by paying more for a quality one since I don't wear them out, break them, or find it is not adequate and have to get another.

Just a suggestion, good luck.

The Lone Haranguer
November 24, 2011, 09:57 PM
I've used a Galco Concealable and liked it, but have no experience with - in fact, have never even heard of - the Masters. Be sure it is an "apples to apples" comparison. The Galco has a somewhat unusual design - the back side, against your body, is flat, with all the molding on the outside, as well as a greater rake/cant than usual. You may find the latter feature useful for concealing the large butt frame of the FNP.

bob40caliber
November 24, 2011, 10:03 PM
Stryker--I'm sure the Milt Sparks is great. But you are right the time frame is a big drawback to me. If I have to wait months...it is probable that I may not carry that particular pistol anymore. I have many handguns and never really settle on one carry piece. So, in the ensuing months that I'd have to wait for a Milt Sparks holster, I may not like that pistol anymore....heck, may not even have it anymore---lol. So, I guess that leaves me out of the Milt Sparks world.

bob40caliber
November 24, 2011, 10:09 PM
Lone Haranguer--I am leaning to the Galco. I know it is a quality product. And I don't think I could go too wring with it. And like you said the Master's is a bit of a mystery.
Although it seemed to get good customer reviews on the site that sells them. I'm still waiting for anyone from this trusted forum to say anything about them.

Thanks for your recommendation of the Concealable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Galco or Master's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!