$300 NRA life membership

PDA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

homers
November 29, 2011, 12:32 AM
Hi,

The NRA sent me an offer to sign up Family and Friends for new life memberships for $300. (Expires January 15, 2012)

You can call 877 NRA-2012 and use your credit card, I will not handle anybody's money.

PM if you are interested and I'll send you my name and NRA #

If you enjoyed reading about "$300 NRA life membership" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lincoln4
November 29, 2011, 01:24 AM
Dang. This offer comes out every year when I'm broke.:(

9mmforMe
November 29, 2011, 01:27 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing. :(

chevyman097
November 29, 2011, 01:36 AM
What do you get?

iLikeOldgunsIlikeNewGuns
November 29, 2011, 09:05 AM
I am definitely in the same club as Lincoln and 9mm, but maybe I'll start a pocket-change-jar for next year if they make the same offer again. I do plan to be a life-member soon as I can, but it's year to year for me so far.

ultradoc
November 29, 2011, 09:23 AM
been a lifer for about 20 years. no regrets.

Cougar
November 29, 2011, 12:47 PM
I've been a lifer for 20+years, and the Wife got her life back in 2000 (full price back then). I've since upgraded mine to Endowment level.

parsimonious_instead
November 29, 2011, 01:20 PM
What the heck is endowment level? What benefits does it confer and how much is it?

ErikO
November 29, 2011, 03:54 PM
Can you ensure that the ILA doesn't get access to this money? I mean, Olin and Federal can fund their PAC, leave my money out of it.

Bobson
November 29, 2011, 03:59 PM
How does the NRA get all the funds to do whatever it is that they do? Is it just from fundraisers?

If so, how does the NRA benefit by having members?

I just became a member (year to year for now) a couple months ago, but to be totallly honest, I have no idea how the NRA benefits, and frankly, aside from having some peace of mind regarding gun rights, I have no clue how I benefit, either. I just signed up because it seemed like a good idea.

ErikO
November 29, 2011, 04:34 PM
To protect your gun rights, check out the 2nd Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America. NRA-ILA is there to protect the rights of their manufacturing 'partners'. Noth taht this is a bad thing, just be aware of where your money goes.

Keeping laws off the books federally to allow us to buy firearms is not a bad deal for us, either. I'm just willing to let the companies that benefit more than I do from NRA membership to pay for the NRA to lobby in their favor.

medalguy
November 29, 2011, 04:42 PM
Note to all: Do not EVER get to a point where you have "peace of mind regarding gun rights." EVER. There are too many out there who would love nothing more than to dump all our gun rights in the crapper.

Membership in ANY gun organization helps fight for our rights. NRA is one of many who are actively fighting to keep our right to keep and bear arms, both in the political and social arenas. Who do you think is lobbying every single day to keep restrictive gun bills tied up in committees where they usually die a quiet death? I don't think we would have the rights we still have without good grassroots organizations like the NRA and SAF. I realize some folks have an agenda with the NRA but it's still one of our best organizations out there. Yeah I wish they would do some things better, but all in all, they are our best bet.

By the way I've been a lifer since 1967. One of the best purchases I ever made. I highly recommend it. I bought my son a life memebrship earlier this year, after they had closed the last offer period. All I did was call up membership and ask, and they gave him the $300 deal.

parsimonious_instead
November 29, 2011, 05:58 PM
Can you ensure that the ILA doesn't get access to this money? I mean, Olin and Federal can fund their PAC, leave my money out of it.

Legally, monies coming into the main NRA organization and NRA-ILA cannot commingle. They would apparently get into big trouble for that. Who knows what really goes on, from an accounting perspective, but that's not up to me to verify - that's the job of federal auditors, if they so choose.

I'm guessing that membership fees and donations to the NRA keep the organization itself going structurally, while the NRA-ILA allocates money specifically to the lobbying and legal efforts.

Right now one of our biggest enemies is complacency, as another poster mentioned. We have to keep "hammering away" until the broadest possible spectrum of our rights is restored, and then we need organizations like the NRA to continue to help fight off new attempts to restrict our rights.

Walkalong
November 29, 2011, 08:40 PM
What do you get?Think about it more like what you are doing....for your gun rights.

chevyman097
November 29, 2011, 10:36 PM
I mean what does "he/she" get for people signing up under their member number?

The NRA sends a member a special to sign up people there has to be a catch....

orionengnr
November 29, 2011, 11:12 PM
The NRA is not perfect, but they carry a lot of weight, and rightly so. They get things done because they represent (last I knew) about 45 million members. However, that is (conservatively) only half of all gun owners. If gun owners showed NRA support in the same percentages as retirees do the (misguided) AARP, politicians would find something other than guns to be concerned with...for a long, long time.

whalerman
November 29, 2011, 11:18 PM
Remember JFK, "ask not what your organization can do for you, as what you can do for your organization", or something like that. I get very annoyed at people who don't join up and help the cause. I know, it's easier to find fault, cheaper too. But the NRA is our best weapon to influence government to honor the Constitution as it is written.

Yo Mama
November 29, 2011, 11:25 PM
I wish one with good fortune could make a sponsorship/scholarship for life memberships. To apply and be considered you would have to pass certain criteria including need to support the 2nd and community service to make stronger ties.

kludge
November 30, 2011, 10:11 AM
Legally, monies coming into the main NRA organization and NRA-ILA cannot commingle. They would apparently get into big trouble for that.

I wonder how the Brady people get away with it.

Anyhoo...

homers, sent you a PM.

chevyman097
November 30, 2011, 12:44 PM
I still have a legitimate question....

When a member of the NRA recieves and hands out a promotion like this does that member get anything in return when people sign up under his/her membership?

My brother is a member but does not know. Can any other members answer this?

springfield30-06
November 30, 2011, 12:52 PM

When a member of the NRA recieves and hands out a promotion like this does that member get anything in return when people sign up under his/her membership?

I don't think the member gets any sort of 'kickbacks' or 'sign up bonuses' or anything line that...

fengy
November 30, 2011, 01:53 PM
Homer,

Thanks for the heads-up, this is just what I'm looking for. I appreciate the opportunity you've given those of us looking to join at such discounted price, and have already sent you a PM. This will be a great Christmas present to myself!

chevyman097
November 30, 2011, 03:23 PM
Hrm dang, thanks springfield.

tuckerdog1
November 30, 2011, 04:55 PM

Chevyman097, I've helped a lot of folks get the $300 life membership over the last few years ( wonder why I didn't get the offer to do so this year? ).
The NRA has never offered ( or given ) me any gifts or any other swag for signing up new life members. In fact, after the 1st year, when I think we got a little of 80 people signed up, they asked that I cut back to about 20.

One of the guys I sponsored for the membership surprised me with a Benchmade knife as a "thank you". That was really nice, but nothing fom the NRA.

This offer is real. If you can swing the $300, go for it.

Tuckerdog1

Alex23
November 30, 2011, 06:38 PM
Didn't the NRA give money to Harry Reid - that pillar of liberty?

lloveless
November 30, 2011, 07:51 PM
ErikO, and Alex23. Every organization does things that some people find repugnant. That goes for churches also. No other gun organization comes close to doing what the NRA does for our gun rights and support of the Constitution of America. I believe the last count was 70 million people own guns in America, but only 4 million are members of the NRA. Wow if the NRA did have 45 million members what could be accomplished?
ll

trex1310
November 30, 2011, 10:15 PM
Every organization does things that some people find repugnant

And that's why some people don't support those organizations.

Alex23
December 1, 2011, 01:20 AM
Lovie - I support the TSRA, which is NRA affiliated but more locally focused. I like the idea of the NRA but I know some of their lobbyist orgs and...well...sorry.

FROGO207
December 2, 2011, 01:37 AM
Yep if you want a good deal on life membership this is the way to go. As stated by others the only thing the OP will get out of this is the satisfaction of bettering the firearms community.:)

Lilrascal
December 2, 2011, 06:27 AM
PM sent. Although new to the forum, I am hoping the op will be so kind to allow me in on this.

cbrxxrider
December 2, 2011, 08:52 AM
Homers,
I sent you a PM. I would like to join as a lifetime member.

45_auto
December 2, 2011, 09:17 AM
Every organization does things that some people find repugnant

And that's why some people don't support those organizations.

Okay, which gun rights organizations (or any other organizations for that matter - churches, clubs, forums, etc) do you support that you agree with 100%?

The NRA is BY FAR the most powerful supporter of your 2nd amendment rights. I don't agree with their actions 100%, but they're probably in the 90% range. If you're not a member and not active, you can be pretty sure that they're not going to pay much attention to your efforts to change their actions closer to your 100% point. Without them you'd have people like Schumer, Pelosi, and Biden controlling your 2nd amendment rights.

Great idea to get this out here homers, wish I had thought of it!

On the other hand, you can always just sit back without supporting any national organization because they don't do 100% of what you want and whine about it like the majority of gun owners.

Navy Diver
December 2, 2011, 09:28 AM
PM sent. Thank you.

NJGarand
December 2, 2011, 09:57 AM
PM sent. Thanks!

Checkman
December 2, 2011, 10:01 AM
I've been a Lifetime member for a year now. Don't always agree with the N.R.A., but it's out there doing something.

jbrown50
December 2, 2011, 11:28 AM
PM sent, Homer.

Thanks.

rjrivero
December 2, 2011, 11:50 AM
Hi,

The NRA sent me an offer to sign up Family and Friends for new life memberships for $300. (Expires January 15, 2012)

You can call 877 NRA-2012 and use your credit card, I will not handle anybody's money.

PM if you are interested and I'll send you my name and NRA #

I got my 2012 Lifetime Card with this same offer as well. While I realize the need to increase membership, it kind of chaffs my butt that the $300 gets a life membership that cost me $1000.

With that said, $300 is a great deal for supporting your 2nd Amendment Rights. I will take advantage of the discounted price to the benefactor level. That will chaff someone else's butt, I'm sure. ;)

I don't walk LOCK STEP with the NRA, but they do a decent job at keeping the 2nd Amendment in the forefront of the national consciousness. I ask everyone to strongly consider adding your voice to this choir. United we stand. Divided we fall.

ErikO
December 2, 2011, 05:47 PM
Okay, which gun rights organizations (or any other organizations for that matter - churches, clubs, forums, etc) do you support that you agree with 100%?

Easy, the 2nd Amendment Foundation. They do NOT both attack my politics while asking for my money. I also support THR by buying from the major sponsors. Once the NRA-ILA decides to let their view of RKBA include those of us that don't vote republican I'll be happy to support them.

I love how they give Bernie Sanders an F rating when he has fought harder than any other Senator for our collective and personal civil rights.
Voted YES on allowing firearms in checked baggage on Amtrak trains.
Voted YES on prohibiting foreign & UN aid that restricts US gun ownership.
Voted YES on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers.
Voted YES on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse.
Rated F by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun control voting record.

In the NRA's defense, he did vote for the AWB in 1994. Since that vote, he has not sought further restrictions on gun ownership.

homers
December 3, 2011, 02:38 PM
I've rec'd numerous PMs which is great; Just to let everyone know, I've decided to prioritize them somewhat giving first shot to those users whose accounts on THR indicate they have been members for some years and have actively posted. Once they either indicate to me that they've successfully upgraded to lifetime member or decided not to, then I'll start replying to those whose join date is today and have 0 posts.

Thanks for your understanding and for those of you who I've PM'd my details back, please keep me updated on whether you've called and gotten the lifetime membership ( you may need to call 2 or 3 times to find an agent willing to do it in this manner since I believe I'm suppose to call or be on the call) or have decided not to (so I can give others the opportunity to).

Teddster215
December 3, 2011, 10:41 PM
Homers PM sent too get Info for NRA membership. Thanks.

Yosemite Sam
December 4, 2011, 10:46 PM
11 out of 20 spots remaining.

Got the offer for the 3rd year in a row. Got this down to a science now.

-----------

So for those of you new to this, this is a 100% volunteer effort. I am not an NRA recruiter, and I receive no commission, rewards, kickbacks, etc. from doing this. It takes up 10-20 hours of volunteer time and maybe $7 in postage/handling.

Some of the Perks:
* ArmsCare Firearms insurance is now $2500 for all members (not just Life Members). This covers theft, fire, etc, and is free. Used to be only $1000.
* Choice of monthly magazine subscription
* Hotel/car rental discount similar to AAA discounts. I've knocked $20 off a hotel room price before.
* If you believe in the cause, NRA membership is mandatory. 80+ million gun owners in the USA, but only ~4.5 million NRA members? AARP has a higher ratio.

Please send me a PM with:

* Name (exactly as you want it to appear on membership card and shiny Life Member certificate)
* Address
* Magazine preference (American Rifleman, American Hunter, America's 1st Freedom) AND if you prefer the print magazine or Digital edition
* NRA number if you're already a member (so they can match it up easier instead of creating a duplicate account)

Optional:

* Telephone
* E-mail address (Recommended so you get their e-mails)
* Date of Birth

I think they're asking for date of birth to clean up their computer database. With 4.3+ million members, there's gonna be some duplicate accounts (people with 2 or more NRA numbers). This will help them match people up. That and birthday will help sort out John Smith Jr. and John Smith Sr. This is just my guess why they're asking for birthday. That and demographics of gun owners and their members.

I will reply to your PM with my name and PO box mailing address, where you can send a check or money order made payable to "NRA". I check that PO box every weekend and will send you a PM when I have received your check/money order. Once I have 20 people, I will send all the information and checks to the NRA. I send it at least Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation so everyone can track it.

My deadline is January 15, 2012. I'd like to have this in the mail shortly after New Year's.

HiccaBurp
December 4, 2011, 10:46 PM
Thank you very much for this offer!!

Alex

Yosemite Sam
December 4, 2011, 11:17 PM
Frequently Asked Questions & Good Things to Know

* The $300 Life Membership is 100% volunteer effort. Several THR members usually do this every year around this time. This is my 3rd year in a row doing this, and I love what I'm doing for the 2nd Amendment.

* There IS an NRA Recruiter program mainly for companies and trainers, but this is completely unrelated. This is more of a grassroots volunteer thing.

* My real name isn't Sam or anything close. I just made up the nickname when I joined THR. :neener:

* Make the $300 check or money order out to "NRA".

* I try my best to reply as soon as possible and will try to check PMs every day. This year I am only able to check the PO Box every weekend.

* This offer is good for both new members and current members. I will still need all your info even if you are a current member just so they can match things up in your profile.

* Don't feel too bad if you paid more for your Life Membership than $300. I paid $500 for mine in a half-off special. Others have paid the full $1000. It's all going to a good cause.

* If you're on an Easy-Pay-Life plan, you still need to pay the full $300 if you want to take advantage of this offer.

* The NRA gave me a January 15, 2012 deadline. I'd like to get this out the first week of January if possible. The 20 spots DO fill up pretty fast.

* Once they receive it, they DO take their sweet time to process everything. It may take a month or so before your check is deposited and you get your Life Member packet.

* Life Member packet includes a nice certificate, welcome letter, probably window decals and stickers. NO other gimmicky prizes, jackets, or gifts in the $300 offer. That's cheap enough as it is.

* If you used to be an NRA members and let it expire, it helps if you provide your old NRA # anyway (if you can locate it) so they can match things up. Don't worry if you can't find it.

Yosemite Sam
December 4, 2011, 11:23 PM
Anyone know if people under 18 can become Life Members? I'm almost positive they can. Another member asked if they could buy a Life Membership for a child.

Justin
December 4, 2011, 11:26 PM
In the NRA's defense, he did vote for the AWB in 1994. Since that vote, he has not sought further restrictions on gun ownership.

Voted for the biggest infringement of civil rights in the late 20th century? That's enough to earn an "F" from me, too.

langenc
December 4, 2011, 11:38 PM
about 45 million members. from post #17...

Lsat Iknew there are about 4 to 5 million members. NOT 45 million.

Please correct if wrong...many talk a good fight but when it gets to brass tacks--kind like in the bible-they have to check their new team and all kinds of bs.

NJGarand
December 5, 2011, 11:28 AM
Sam, PM sent. Thank you for your efforts!

ming
December 5, 2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks homers. pm sent.

SlamFire1
December 6, 2011, 03:56 PM
I sent Homer a PM, even though I am a NRA member, it expires next year, and I want to be a life time member.

I believe in the mission of the NRA, which is to basically support markmanship and lawful gun ownership in the US.

The only reason we still have our firearms, in my humble opinion, is because of the lobbying power of the NRA and the voting power of its members.

If you are not voting for pro gun Congressmen, and voting against that anti's, then you have walked away from the only mechanism that guarantees your gun rights.

Yosemite Sam
December 7, 2011, 01:28 AM
8 out of 20 spots left. Please refer to Post #43 (http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=7774624&postcount=43) for more information.

Dueling1911s
December 8, 2011, 11:00 AM
i signed up with homer 2 days ago

very easy, 5 minute phone call and it was a done deal. can't wait to upgrade the decal on the back of my truck

Master Blaster
December 8, 2011, 01:54 PM
The NRA promotes the shooting sports and firearms training. Thats important because it creates new gun owners who may vote in support of the 2nd amendment .The NRA is the number one source of trained firearms instructors, and firearms training, in the US.

The ILA lobbies and is involved in politics. The two cannot co-mingle funds as the NRA is tax exempt and can't do political lobbying. The ILA does all the political lobbying.

If the folks making this offer are NRA certified instructors (like Me) they get a small commission for each new member and each renewal member they sign up.

Yosemite Sam
December 8, 2011, 08:11 PM
If the folks making this offer are NRA certified instructors (like Me) they get a small commission for each new member and each renewal member they sign up.

I'm an NRA instructor but have not signed up for the recruiter program. The $300 offer I received was due to me being a Life Member; I get no commission.

homers
December 8, 2011, 08:48 PM
I am not an NRA instructor nor do I get any financial kickbacks. I was offered the $300 for Family and Friends and want to sign up as many who want to.

Dueling1911s
December 9, 2011, 10:10 AM
300 is a steal. and a life membership just keeps going up. for how simple is you cant beat it

Yosemite Sam
December 9, 2011, 10:49 PM
8 out of 20 spots left. Please refer to Post #43 (http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=7774624&postcount=43) for more information.

Yosemite Sam
December 14, 2011, 09:50 PM
6 out of 20 spots left.

I'd like to be able to max out 20 this year, but maybe money's extra tight this year.

Yosemite Sam
December 17, 2011, 05:54 PM
Bump to the top.

alonerocky
December 24, 2011, 10:17 PM
if you agree, please PM me your membership #.
or send email to me

lishoulong@gmail.com

thanks in advance

stickhauler
December 25, 2011, 05:10 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how many bull**** claims people can make to bitch about the NRA.

First off, the NRA does NOT offer good ratings based on issues OTHER than 2nd amendment issues. You may love your congresscritter like a brother, and think they're just the best thing ever, but if they cater to the anti-gun crowd they're not going to be an "A" rated representative. In my own state's last governor's race, they rated the incumbent, Ted Strickland, a Democrat, higher than they did John Kasich, a Republican.

Hate to tell you, but Bernie is a Socialist.

The NRA-ILA is not a advocate for gun makers, their mission is to lobby for gun rights in both the local state legislatures, as well as in the US Congress. And the cost of your membership does not go to their efforts.

And to those who are angry that they paid full price for a life membership, while others are given the chance to attain the same level of support for much less, sorry. If you paid the money to be a life member, you should be overjoyed the association is doing all they can to add members to the NRA. More gun owners associated with the NRA adds to the influence they can wield with our lawmakers. I find it incredibly sad that in a country with better than 90 million gun owners, only a bit over 4 million feel they should support a group working to protect our gun rights.

And yes, you should support your state gun groups, politics is more local than national. A strong support of your state association influences your state lawmakers efforts to strengthen your 2nd amendment rights.

In my opinion, we should be applauding the members here who are offering to assist those interested in becoming life members by sharing the bounty they were given, not fear they're making money on the memberships. I was blessed to be able to become a life member from such a generous offer here a few years back, I've since upgraded my membership to endowment status. Frankly, I didn't spend the money to get a cool windbreaker, or flashlight, or other trinket embossed with the NRA logo. I considered the money an investment to keep my rights intact, and perhaps strengthen our rights for our children and grandchildren.

But, there's always going to be detractors of the NRA. I'd be willing to bet they're the same people who refuse to shoulder their share of the load in our struggle against those in our country who would LOVE to see civilian ownership of firearms a fond memory, instead of a reality. But these are the same people who would complain the loudest if laws were changed, and bitch that "somebody should have done something." BE THAT SOMEBODY!

Thanks to all of you who are sharing the reduced life membership this year, following a tradition seen here near as long as I've been a member here. I salute you!

Lord Teapot
December 25, 2011, 06:29 AM
Any of these left? A grand is beyond my budget, but 300 seems much more wallet friendly.

jsimmons
December 25, 2011, 06:42 AM
When the NRA said they weren't interested in endorsing a bid to get our constitutional carry rights back for us here in Texas, I decided that the NRA isn't interested in *my* 2nd Amendment rights, and that I wouldn't endorse them either. Screw 'em.

cbrxxrider
December 25, 2011, 09:31 AM
Yosemite Sam has a few spots left. Check the posts above for number of open spots and Post 43 for all the details.

SAGEEN
December 25, 2011, 02:23 PM
PM sent

Yosemite Sam
December 25, 2011, 02:31 PM
Re-posting since it's back a few pages...

0 out of 20 spots remaining.

Got the offer for the 3rd year in a row. Got this down to a science now.

-----------

So for those of you new to this, this is a 100% volunteer effort. I am not an NRA recruiter, and I receive no commission, rewards, kickbacks, etc. from doing this. It takes up 10-20 hours of volunteer time and maybe $7 in postage/handling.

Some of the Perks:
* ArmsCare Firearms insurance is now $2500 for all members (not just Life Members). This covers theft, fire, etc, and is free. Used to be only $1000.
* Choice of monthly magazine subscription
* Hotel/car rental discount similar to AAA discounts. I've knocked $20 off a hotel room price before.
* If you believe in the cause, NRA membership is mandatory. 80+ million gun owners in the USA, but only ~4.5 million NRA members? AARP has a higher ratio.

Please send me a PM with:

* Name (exactly as you want it to appear on membership card and shiny Life Member certificate)
* Address
* Magazine preference (American Rifleman, American Hunter, America's 1st Freedom) AND if you prefer the print magazine or Digital edition
* NRA number if you're already a member (so they can match it up easier instead of creating a duplicate account)

Optional:

* Telephone
* E-mail address (Recommended so you get their e-mails)
* Date of Birth

I think they're asking for date of birth to clean up their computer database. With 4.3+ million members, there's gonna be some duplicate accounts (people with 2 or more NRA numbers). This will help them match people up. That and birthday will help sort out John Smith Jr. and John Smith Sr. This is just my guess why they're asking for birthday. That and demographics of gun owners and their members.

I will reply to your PM with my name and PO box mailing address, where you can send a check or money order made payable to "NRA". I check that PO box every weekend and will send you a PM when I have received your check/money order. Once I have 20 people, I will send all the information and checks to the NRA. I send it at least Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation so everyone can track it.

My deadline is January 15, 2012. I'd like to have this in the mail shortly after New Year's.

stickhauler
December 26, 2011, 03:02 AM
When the NRA said they weren't interested in endorsing a bid to get our constitutional carry rights back for us here in Texas, I decided that the NRA isn't interested in *my* 2nd Amendment rights, and that I wouldn't endorse them either. Screw 'em.

And Texas had constitutional carry WHEN? The NRA is a National organization isn't it? The last I knew, they still had some limits on their resources, so going after each and every item a member from every state wants would be impossible. But, I'm sure, your desire to see something you've never had sure trumps, oh, let's say, getting legal gun owners the right to get a permit to carry concealed in most of in our largest cities, doesn't it?

Gee,I live in Ohio, I'd love to see them devote all the resources they have to better my gun rights. But I'd prefer they spend those precious dollars to get a Chicago resident the right to actually have a self defense firearm in their home legally. Or any number of much more oppressive laws on law abiding cities in our nation.

Funny, I've always been told Texas is a gun culture state, I had no idea you folks were so beaten down by "the man." Let's all take up a collection here to fund the effort to pass laws to liberate the poor gun owners in Texas.

jsimmons
December 26, 2011, 06:26 AM
And Texas had constitutional carry WHEN? The NRA is a National organization isn't it? The last I knew, they still had some limits on their resources, so going after each and every item a member from every state wants would be impossible. But, I'm sure, your desire to see something you've never had sure trumps, oh, let's say, getting legal gun owners the right to get a permit to carry concealed in most of in our largest cities, doesn't it?

Gee,I live in Ohio, I'd love to see them devote all the resources they have to better my gun rights. But I'd prefer they spend those precious dollars to get a Chicago resident the right to actually have a self defense firearm in their home legally. Or any number of much more oppressive laws on law abiding cities in our nation.

Funny, I've always been told Texas is a gun culture state, I had no idea you folks were so beaten down by "the man." Let's all take up a collection here to fund the effort to pass laws to liberate the poor gun owners in Texas.

I didn't say my requirements trump anything. I simply have a different set or requirements. The 2nd Amendment doesn't say "...the right to keep and bear concealed arms shall not be infringed".

Texas gun laws are absurd. You can openly carry a rifle down the street - without a license - but you can't openly carry a pistol. You can drive down the street with a rifle sitting on the front seat, leaning against the window, but you can't have a pistol in plain view in the car.

Yes, you can concealed carry, but only if you pay the state for the *privilege* to do so.

In my eyes, those things do NOT make Texas a gun-rights-friendly state (one of just six states that doesn't have open-carry).

When approached during the last legislative session, both the NRA AND the TSRA (Texas State Rifle Association) refused to endorse a bid to get open carry passed. They were more concerned with campus carry and employer parking lot storage.

When either organization declares LOUDLY that constitutional carry is their primary goal, then I will consider becoming a member. I'm tired of taking "baby steps" in the fight to get our Constitutional 2nd Amendment rights back.

fallingbird
December 26, 2011, 05:00 PM
PM sent

Yosemite Sam
December 26, 2011, 06:23 PM
I'm tired of taking "baby steps" in the fight to get our Constitutional 2nd Amendment rights back.

I'm tired of it as well, but incremental steps is how the political game is played, unfortunately. I mean, GOA doesn't believe in taking incremental steps, but such an "all-or-nothing" hard stance results in "nothing."

Yosemite Sam
December 26, 2011, 06:25 PM
0 out of 20 spots remaining.

Possibility of 4 spots opening up since some people have dropped off the face of the earth and not contacted me. I'm not creating a wait list, so please no further PMs at this point.

I'll update this thread in the next several days if/when spots open up.

MO_mule
December 26, 2011, 06:56 PM
homers:

PM sent.

Thank you.

Chris

Stevie-Ray
December 26, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hmmm....I just signed up for 5 years for 100 bucks. That's alright, if the world ends on the winter solstice next year, it's all for naught, right?;)

stickhauler
December 27, 2011, 02:22 AM
I didn't say my requirements trump anything. I simply have a different set or requirements. The 2nd Amendment doesn't say "...the right to keep and bear concealed arms shall not be infringed".

Texas gun laws are absurd. You can openly carry a rifle down the street - without a license - but you can't openly carry a pistol. You can drive down the street with a rifle sitting on the front seat, leaning against the window, but you can't have a pistol in plain view in the car.

Yes, you can concealed carry, but only if you pay the state for the *privilege* to do so.

In my eyes, those things do NOT make Texas a gun-rights-friendly state (one of just six states that doesn't have open-carry).

When approached during the last legislative session, both the NRA AND the TSRA (Texas State Rifle Association) refused to endorse a bid to get open carry passed. They were more concerned with campus carry and employer parking lot storage.

When either organization declares LOUDLY that constitutional carry is their primary goal, then I will consider becoming a member. I'm tired of taking "baby steps" in the fight to get our Constitutional 2nd Amendment rights back.

So then, we have verified that Texas has never had constitutional carry? Yes, I know Texas doesn't have open carry, Ohio does. And just that little concession doesn't mean squat, as many LEO's can't imagine that open carry could ever be legal, and they'll hassle you to death, maybe even run you in and try to charge you. All that does is cost you time and trouble, and nasty attitudes from those same cops the next time they see you on the street, because it REALLY makes them mad when it's proven they don't really know the law.

One advantage you enjoy in Texas over Ohio law is a concealed carry permit exempts you from filling out a Form 4473 to buy a firearm. You have to obtain a permit to concealed carry, so do we. Had that dreaded NRA not been around to "compromise" on gun issues in 1968, neither of us would be able to even own handguns.

And I'd agree with Ted Nugent on the need to obtain a state issued permit to allow me to carry a firearm for my self defense, the second amendment should be our concealed carry permit. But theory and reality are much different concepts.

The GOA may try to assure you that they'll get constitutional carry the law of the land across the US. They'll fail in their attempt. Love 'em or hate 'em, the NRA has a much more pragmatic approach to gun issues. They understand that finding a consensus among legislators takes giving on some issues to enjoy a victory in other issues. Neither party alone has the "juice" to pass laws that return rights we lost long ago immediately. We didn't lose the rights we had overnight, we'll not get them back overnight either.

I'd bet the residents of, oh, say Chicago, New York City or LA would love to see the gun rights you consider too little for your taste. You speak as if the parking lot laws, or campus carry are not important issues. Perhaps not for you, but for people who work in state where employers can demand that NO firearms are ever on their property in other states, it's huge. For college students who have concealed carry permits, campus carry is also huge. And given the level of crime against innocent victims we see on college campuses Nationwide, I tend to agree. For employees who have concealed carry permits, and work in areas not quite Mayberry when they arrive or depart from work, parking lot laws go a long way to protect these folks from violent crime.

Bottom line is, not everything you or I see as a priority is an area of immediate need to protect people from criminals. Myself, I feel concealed carry for all truck drivers should be a Nationwide accepted right. We go into areas of cities that are not quite real fun at any and all times of the day and night. We are usually in control of a loaded trailer that usually has cargo some folks would love to take from us. Yet, in the most dangerous areas of large urban areas, if we follow the laws, we're disarmed.

BeerSleeper
December 27, 2011, 08:35 AM
Had that dreaded NRA not been around to "compromise" on gun issues in 1968, neither of us would be able to even own handguns.

I like my pistol. I like my black rifle. I'm one "NRA compromise" away from losing my right to either or both of those. If you don't believe it, ask the full auto guys. The NRA threw them under the bus in 86 in the interest of "compromise", for what? FOPA lets me drive through Illinois to another state where my gun is legal? No thanks, not worth it.

An organization like that, willing to sacrifice the rights of one part of it's constituency, for the benefit of another part does not have much appeal to me. I don't care to see the day my black rifle becomes restricted, because the NRA traded that right for something that benefits owners of shotguns, or hunting rifles, or whatever else.

There are times when compromise is good, and appropriate. Rights should never be compromised. Not even a little. Ever.

homers
December 27, 2011, 05:28 PM
The NRA isn't perfect, and not all gun owners even agree on all gun issues.

That being said, where do you think our gun rights would be if the NRA didn't exist?

Where do you think our gun rights would be if the majority of gun owners spent $20 - $35 bucks a year on NRA memberships (what power the NRA would have if it had 40 million members instead of 4 million?

Get off the bitch wagon and start helping the rest of us haul your butt around.

[now I'll get off my soap box]

JDBoardman
December 27, 2011, 06:06 PM
"One advantage you enjoy in Texas over Ohio law is a concealed carry permit exempts you from filling out a Form 4473 to buy a firearm."

Sorry, Stickhauler, but we still have to fill out the 4473. What we don't have to do, as CHL holders, is go through the NICS check.

stickhauler
December 29, 2011, 04:17 AM
I like my pistol. I like my black rifle. I'm one "NRA compromise" away from losing my right to either or both of those. If you don't believe it, ask the full auto guys. The NRA threw them under the bus in 86 in the interest of "compromise", for what?

You can't get a full auto firearm? The law requiring a tax stamp passed in the 1930's, that's still the law. But, back in the 1930's, there weren't quite as many full auto firearms made, were there?

Maybe you're too young to remember the 1960's. I do. The attitude of the American public at that time was that NOBODY had a need for a pistol, the ONLY people who used pistols were criminals. Hell, polls of the American public showed near 70% of the country thought pistols should be banned. Then Bobby Kennedy was killed with one, and people were enraged, they wanted them GONE FOREVER!

Now, I love the fun of shooting a full auto firearm the same as anyone does, but is it anywhere near as practical as a pistol for use by the typical gun owner? I don't think so. The number of rounds fired in Vietnam was way more than that used in WW-II.

Some people will use any BS to justify not supporting the NRA. Send your cash to the GOA, be my guest. I don't see a group that preaches the "all or nothing" stance, yet can't show any effect for their efforts as worthwhile. I work pretty hard for my cash, I'll opt for the big dog rather than the yipping puppy.

"One advantage you enjoy in Texas over Ohio law is a concealed carry permit exempts you from filling out a Form 4473 to buy a firearm."

Sorry, Stickhauler, but we still have to fill out the 4473. What we don't have to do, as CHL holders, is go through the NICS check.

So, you don't have to worry about the screw-ups of the government to prevent you from having a transfer when you go to buy a gun. I'd give money to not have to go through the worry of a bunch of idiots our government hires deciding that today is the day they want to delay my gun transfer. They might decide someone I've stood in line at the coffee shop is a terrorist, and I suddenly got on a "no-buy" list.

doc540
December 29, 2011, 11:04 AM
YoSam, thanks for your service with this.

PM sent for a spot if one opens up.

TyGuy
January 2, 2012, 02:10 PM
After reading this month's First Freedom I want to switch to a life membership. Anyone willing to sponsor me please PM me, thanks,

ApacheCoTodd
January 2, 2012, 03:34 PM
I've had two - yup - two full paid life memberships which disappeared after a time lie gorillas in the mist and they would start sending me dues notices. The second time this happened, I didn't even bother to argue with them - won't be a third!

For the most part I support the NRA but no longer feel like adopting them as a dependent.

Ryanxia
January 2, 2012, 04:10 PM
I've got a few friends with lifetime memberships and never had any issues/dues sent mistakenly. Like most things guess it's situational.

Joshua M.
January 2, 2012, 05:26 PM
Homers, is this still available?

22-rimfire
January 2, 2012, 05:30 PM
This offer comes out every year when I'm broke.

That is about the size of it for me as some others. I will continue to renew every few years. They get more money that way any how. I have heard they frequently pester the lifetime members for contributions. I give as I am able.

JohnBT
January 2, 2012, 05:53 PM
"The NRA threw them under the bus in 86"

Nonsense. You've misinterpreted the facts, if you even read them.

John

N003k
January 2, 2012, 08:34 PM
Out of curiosity, anyone know if you take this deal if you get a credit for time already paid? I'm good through 2013, and might be able to get the difference together before the 15th with money I have un-allocated, if I get the credit...but...with over $400 in textbooks needing to be bought...probably can't quite manage the full $300 in time.

Joshua M.
January 2, 2012, 08:40 PM
I took advantage of this offer 3 years ago, and it showed up 3 days after I paid for a 5 year:banghead:...I just signed up and figured even at $450 for a lifetime, I'm still money ahead, plus the NRA made a little more, so win win...

As far as the NRA pestering life timers for more money...if you don't want to send more money, don't...They get the picture eventually, and leave you alone, trust me...I know, at least they did with me.

BeerSleeper
January 2, 2012, 09:54 PM
"The NRA threw them under the bus in 86"
Nonsense. You've misinterpreted the facts, if you even read them.
John

I will listen to any reasonable argument, and I stand ready to be corrected. I'll give you a very brief (reader's digest version, in the interest of brevity) summary of some of the facts, and you can tell me where I'm wrong .

FOPA 86 eased some restrictions on the interstate purchase of guns, and added the "safe passage" clause whereby if the gun was legal in your state of origin, and your state of destination, you could travel with it through a state where it is not legal, if it's reasonably secured (in trunk/unloaded/not readily accessible/etc). The Hughes Amendment was a poison pill intended to kill the bill, it closed the registry, effectively banning civilian ownership of new full auto firearms.
This bill passed, without a fight from the NRA.

It is sound strategy to unite all gun owners, be they rifle/shotgun hunters, handgunners, owners of *EBR's*, the idea being that, united, we can fight the creeping incrementalism of the anti brigade. Otherwise, they'll take the EBR's today, the handguns tomorrow, and all firearms a week from Tuesday. Where was that unity when FA was traded away?

When FOPA was poisoned with the Hughes Amendment, it went from being a good thing, to a bad thing. This would have been a good time to start fighting.

I have a small variety of firearms, a rifle, a shotgun, a hand gun, and an AR, and I enjoy them all. I do, honestly, fear that the next time a piece of gun control legislation comes around, they won't fight it, but will compromise, and I'll have to give up the AR, or the handgun, because the NRA supported a bill that gave up rights to that particular type of firearm in exchange for something else. I don't think I'm being unreasonable to fear that this might happen. There is precedent for it, it HAS HAPPENED before. 1986.

TyGuy
January 3, 2012, 01:34 AM
I'm still looking for a sponsor. :-)

bushmaster1313
January 3, 2012, 01:39 AM
Are we allowed to sign up our favorite anti-gun politicians?

raubvogel
January 3, 2012, 02:16 AM
If there is still one of those spots open, I would be game. No, I have not been a member of this -- or other gun related forums -- for many years. In fact, I bought my first gun last year. And I do not think NRA is a perfect organization. But I like to put my money where my mouth is: if I want to tell them a piece of my mind, instead of sitting in a corner whining I want to start the letter by saying "I am life member #xxx" just like when I feel I need to write to a politician I begin with "I am a registered independent voter."

longknife12
January 3, 2012, 07:34 AM
TyGuy, email sent.
Dan

sfoan
January 4, 2012, 11:59 PM
I was wondering if there were any sponsors available. If so, I'd like to get in on this. :o)

PCFlorida
January 5, 2012, 07:26 PM
I'm about to do my renewal but since I have the available funds, if anyone can sponsor me for the $300 life membership I'd appreciate it!

Thank you.

longknife12
January 5, 2012, 09:35 PM
PCFlorida, pm sent
Dan

Lincoln4
January 5, 2012, 09:37 PM
After posting back on page one that this offer always comes around when I have no money, I may have some soon. How much longer is this offer valid?

BigRugerLover
January 6, 2012, 01:54 AM
I got the money honey, if you got the......membership offer. I'd love to upgrade to life membership. Can anyone please help?

Thanks.

BRL.

longknife12
January 6, 2012, 07:27 AM
BRL, PM sent.......dang, am I the only one that will step up and help you guys?LOL
Dan
:cool:

PCFlorida
January 6, 2012, 08:59 PM
BRL, PM sent.......dang, am I the only one that will step up and help you guys?LOL
Dan
:cool:
Thanks to the help of longknife12 (Dan) I was able to upgrade over the phone today.
Thank you again Dan.

PT92
January 6, 2012, 11:26 PM
Been a Lifer for two years now (I upgraded during the Holidays as well for $500--that's when they seem to offer it at significantly discounted prices). Proudly one of the most fulfilling and important things I have ever done in my life hands-down. I look at the Second Amendment not only as something being utterly woven into the very fabric of our nation's cultural history near and dear to the hearts of our Founding Fathers, but a right of which is under constant assault rendering it virtually obligatory for gun owners to join the cause and laboriously fight to uphold the Second Amendment verbatim.

-Happy Holidays

longknife12
January 7, 2012, 10:02 AM
I stand corrected, several others are assisting in upgrades. Guess I should have started at the start of thread!
Only thing I get from this is the satisfaction of helping the individual and the knowledge that I am helping my NRA continue in the fight for shooting sports.
Dan
:)

cbrxxrider
January 7, 2012, 10:40 AM
Not sure by count how many new life members are being added just through the 3 or 4 current life members. Hopefully most of the new lifers added will extend their invitation for the life membership to others when it comes around next year. I know I will be there to help. Thank you Yosemite Sam, Homers, and longknife12 for stepping up and offering to help others.

PCFlorida
January 7, 2012, 01:23 PM
Not sure by count how many new life members are being added just through the 3 or 4 current life members. Hopefully most of the new lifers added will extend their invitation for the life membership to others when it comes around next year. I know I will be there to help. Thank you Yosemite Sam, Homers, and longknife12 for stepping up and offering to help others.
God willing I'll be there as well.

homers
January 7, 2012, 06:35 PM
See post #1 if anybody is still interested. The offer expires on Jan 15.

Yosemite Sam
January 7, 2012, 07:37 PM
See post #1 if anybody is still interested. The offer expires on Jan 15.
Ha! January 15! This whole time I thought my offer was January 12, but it turns out I also have the January 15 deadline. That's good, since I'm still waiting on 4 checks.

homers: So you are trying a strategy that I and several of the others have not tried: sponsoring new life members over the phone? That almost seems like a faster process. That way you just give out your NRA # to them and they do all the work.

If it's easier for the new Lifers, for me, and faster for the NRA, I may try that next year. That's a ton of less busywork, since I make a nice Excel spreadsheet with all the info for the NRA workers.

zkc1677095
January 7, 2012, 09:48 PM
Ha! January 15! This whole time I thought my offer was January 12, but it turns out I also have the January 15 deadline. That's good, since I'm still waiting on 4 checks.

Don't wait. Send it in. I'm getting impatient. ;)

nw_aggie
January 7, 2012, 09:56 PM
anyone still out there available to sponsor someone on this deal?

Gmack
January 8, 2012, 04:52 AM
Homers, thanks alot bud! This is just what I'm looking for. I've been guilty of letting a one year membership expire on a couple of occasions. I appreciate what you're doing.

ihctractor
January 8, 2012, 06:00 PM
I would love to get a life membership. Have been an annual member on and off for about 20 years now because I could never come up with enough $$ at one time to do the life member thing. My current membership expires next month.

I've sent private messages to two people on this thread, shamelessly asking to be sponsored and I haven't heard back from either:(. Did my messages not get thru or do I not qualify since I'm already a member?:confused:
Anyway I'm still interested if somebody would like to extend the privilege!
Thanks!

longknife12
January 8, 2012, 08:03 PM
IHT, I sent you a pm yesturdayu....did it again. Let me know if it didn't work.....
in the clear, my Endowment # 18135929
Dan

ihctractor
January 8, 2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks Dan!! I got it. Can't wait to be the next lifer!!

rhodco
January 9, 2012, 03:33 PM
Homers and Longknife, PM sent. Thanks.

Acera
January 9, 2012, 05:24 PM
Please forward me the information also.

Thanks,

PCFlorida
January 9, 2012, 11:16 PM
I stand corrected, several others are assisting in upgrades. Guess I should have started at the start of thread!
Only thing I get from this is the satisfaction of helping the individual and the knowledge that I am helping my NRA continue in the fight for shooting sports.
Dan
:)
Dan, my Life Membership went active today, thanks again.

Gmack
January 10, 2012, 04:37 AM
Hey guys, I would like to get a sponsor as well. Please shoot me a PM so I can get in on this great opportunity. Thanks!

donno
January 10, 2012, 03:42 PM
homers

Sent a private e-mail. I'm interested as well.

MO_mule
January 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
longknife12, homers, and Yosemite Sam:

Gents, thank you very much for your help. I was able to upgrade my membership to Life member over the phone (I called the NRA yesterday). Now I just have to wait impatiently for the paperwork to come through. Not bragging but I also signed up for a regular membership for my wife and sponsored a military membership. I feel good, as James Brown used to say. :D

Thanks for the PMs and for extending the offer to us (annual members).

Chris

dmazur
January 10, 2012, 10:31 PM
homers -

Sent you a PM. My wife and I both took advantage of your offer, after some confusion at the NRA end.

Thanks.

PT92
January 10, 2012, 10:36 PM
I too would like to extend my thanks to all involved as the concerted effort could not be more important to our community.

As a Lifer and on a personal note, I can tell you that the NRA Life Member Bronze Statue that sits on my mantle (with the NRA Life Membership Certificate above) is one of the proudest and most treasured achievements of my life--I truly respect this organization's understanding of both the Second Amendment's historical and contemporary importance to this great nation's past, present and future.

Congrats to all NRA members and let's keep up the fight and avoid that ever-lurking complacency that at times is all too easy to succumb to.

-Happy New Year

grooter
January 11, 2012, 08:01 AM
homers

Sent a private e-mail yesterday. I'm interested as well.

donno
January 11, 2012, 08:38 AM
Does anybody know if a spot is still open or not? PM homers but have not made contact with him. Not trying to be pushy, but this too good of a deal to pass up.
Thanks

dmazur
January 11, 2012, 04:30 PM
Does anybody know if a spot is still open or not?

I just did this and the NRA Life Membership Services person didn't mention any kind of limit. She said that life members were encouraged to sign others up when the special offer period was running. (Through 01/15/12 this year.)

All I needed was homers endowment number (which he should send you by PM).

So, my understanding is that any of the life members who are offering this and discussing it in this thread could help you out, if homers is unavailable for some reason.

No apparent advantage/disadvantage...I'd go with the first one who provides a path through the woods. :)

Can anyone else help here?

lopaka
January 11, 2012, 09:46 PM
I'd like to upgrade my membership as well. Anyone willing to sponsor would be appreciated.

Bob

GsxrBots
January 11, 2012, 10:32 PM
I know he mentioned that he didn't want to do it to new members, but if there is an exception, I wouldn't mind the deal as well. I'm currently a yearly member, but would LOVE to upgrade!

MO_mule
January 11, 2012, 10:43 PM
lopaka & GsxrBots:

See Post #111 above. "longknife12" (Dan) is helping out! Send him a PM for more info.

HTH,

Chris

rhodco
January 11, 2012, 10:51 PM
I am now a new member of the NRA for life.

MO_mule
January 11, 2012, 11:34 PM
rhodco:

Congrats! May I ask how long it takes for the paperwork to process, please? I'm thinking a week or two?

Thanks,

Chris

longknife12
January 12, 2012, 10:06 PM
I've had several PM's as to NRA cannot handle these people........suggest you try again and if the rep sounds confused, ask for a supervisor!
Dan

donno
January 13, 2012, 10:02 AM
Signed up yesterday! Waiting to get the certificate suitable for framing. Many thanks go out homers.
donno

Viottato
January 13, 2012, 12:06 PM
I'm interested if someone could send me their information to sign up with. Thanks.

PT92
January 13, 2012, 12:14 PM
Just to be clear, all a Lifer Member needs to do to sponsor is to provide their NRA Life Membership #?

-Cheers

ihctractor
January 13, 2012, 09:20 PM
Yep, not all the NRA call takers are trained or willing to help. I finally did get my life membership processed (I think) but it took three calls to three different operators before I found one that would take my info and my money. The payment showed up on my credit card but I haven't received any life membership info yet. Patiently waiting though!

Elkins45
January 13, 2012, 09:32 PM
I couldn't get it to work and I tried four different operators. They all said it had to be a Gift and that I had to use my sponsor's credit card. I gave up after 30 minutes on the phone.

longknife12
January 13, 2012, 09:37 PM
Guy's, I do not know what to say other than keep trying!
Dan

Elkins45
January 13, 2012, 09:53 PM
I may try again tomorrow, when I get the day shift on the phone.

After the first call I started having problems because their caller ID identified my phone and somehow "attached' the call to my membership in the computer system. I need to figure out how to disable caller ID before I call in next time.

Lilrascal
January 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
Another life member "gifts you" the membership was how it was supposed to originally work I think. Obviously it has worked the other way for a number of other people though.

That was the main reason I decided to go the route of Yosemite Sam sending in the money for us. Hoping to hear from him soon that the NRA has received our checks.

longknife12
January 13, 2012, 10:34 PM
I just got off the phone with them........NOW, I'm supposed to collect the moneys ........which I am not going to do....I do not know why this has worked for some and not others? All I can say is .....lwe tried....hollow, but true.
Dan
:confused:

Yosemite Sam
January 14, 2012, 01:26 AM
Interesting. And here I thought that next year if I get this offer I'll just go the phone route and give out my NRA #. That takes me 30 seconds per person instead of spending probably 20+ hours of volunteer time (which I'm proud of) and lots of driving 85 miles round-trip to the post office to check my mail.

But heck, if they want Life Members to collect money, I'll keep doing what I've done the past 3 times and collected checks and information. I enjoy doing this.

--------------

My people:

I received all the checks and printed out a nice spreadsheet with everyone's information. Mailing it tomorrow to the NRA. I called HQ in Fairfax and spoke with someone in the Life Member Department I've dealt with before. She remembered me from the first time. First, she said that the "15th" was no big deal. She also said that instead of sending everything to their mailing center in Florida (which is busy as heck) to send it straight to her since they're not as busy.

Win!

I'll PM a tracking number once it's mailed.

Edit: Check out my updated signature. :p

PCFlorida
January 14, 2012, 07:16 AM
For anyone who is having trouble doing this over the phone. What worked for me was to call the 877-NRA-2000 number and select option 3 for Life Membership Services. They knew exactly what I was looking for an allowed me to do this with Dan's membership number.

longknife12
January 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
I talked this morning with 800 272-2000...........don't know why the confusion....they don't either! Try that number.Man, this is getting like my work...get a temp and takes 6 people to straighten out what they don't do...LOL
Dan

azrn
January 14, 2012, 12:51 PM
hey longknife12; i called the 877-nra-2012 number and became a life member thanks to your info. that is i think i did. they were a little confused about it; and they in the process sort of confused me. but they got my name and cc# info right. i sent you a pm with a more detailed report on my experience with them. azrn

longknife12
January 14, 2012, 01:11 PM
:confused: SHEESHHH......................................
Dan

Yosemite Sam
January 14, 2012, 02:38 PM
Heck with it. I was gonna put this in a PM, but I can only send it to a few people at a time. Here it is.

-----------------------

Hello everyone,

This is notification that all checks have been received, and the packet has been forwarded to the NRA today. It was mailed USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. You can track it at www.usps.com using # 9505500022412014000028

I want to be the first to welcome you to NRA Life Membership! For those of you who are joining the NRA for the first time, welcome! And as a fellow Lifer, a hearty THANK YOU for making a commitment to the preservation of our 2nd Amendment rights. Not to mention at $300, that's a steal, since member dues are only going to go up with inflation. I called Fairfax yesterday and spoke with Diane in the Life Member department, someone I've dealt with in the past on this. She said instead of sending all the checks to the busy Membership Processing Center in Florida to send it straight to their department in Fairfax so they could give it faster attention.

Here is a link to this year's thread: $300 NRA life membership (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=628207).
Please post all concerns there so that the whole group can keep up-to-date on when their checks have been deposited and when you get your new life member packet.

The NRA is notorious for taking their time when processing contributions and memberships. You should receive a new life member packet, which includes a fancy certificate, welcome letter, membership card, corporate by-laws, decals, and other information. ArmsCare insurance has risen from $1000 to $2500 for all NRA members. As a Life Member, you are also a voting delegate, eligible to vote for the Board of Directors. There are some other perks like better seating or free tickets to certain events at their annual meeting. The hotel/rental car discount #20661 saved me some cash a couple times at a hotel. It's hit or miss, but it's nice to have just in case of last minute reservations.

Once again, thank you very much for your interest in this offer.

Sincerely,

Yosemite Sam

Acera
January 14, 2012, 04:37 PM
Got it done today with a c-card. What a PIA, not the lady I talked to but the entire day and half process it took to get to her. 4-6 weeks from now I should be getting the packet.

I used the 800.672.3888 number, pressed 1, then 2.

zkc1677095
January 14, 2012, 08:29 PM
Once again, thank you very much for your interest in this offer.

And thank you, YS, for all your efforts with this.

From: An appreciative current year-to-year but soon to be NRA lifer!

raubvogel
January 17, 2012, 07:50 PM
And I too have an update: following acera's post i called 800.672.3888 number, pressed 1, then 2. After a bit under 15 minutes, which includes passing my card info, and using Yosemite Sam's info, I too have become a lifer. Thanks for all the help!

phil dirt
January 17, 2012, 08:07 PM
The NRA is the only reason we are still able to own guns in this country. Watch the crap hit the fan when Obama, God forbid, becomes a lame duck President. In my opinion, if you own and appreciate your gun rights and are not a member of the NRA, you're not packin' your share of the load.

Yosemite Sam
January 17, 2012, 09:30 PM
The package I mailed with everyone's checks was received at NRA HQ today. I'm curious to see how much faster it is going straight to the Life Member Department than the super busy member processing center in Florida. Here's to hoping they deposit your checks this week or early next!

Tim the student
January 17, 2012, 09:35 PM
And I too have an update: following acera's post i called 800.672.3888 number, pressed 1, then 2. After a bit under 15 minutes, which includes passing my card info, and using Yosemite Sam's info, I too have become a lifer. Thanks for all the help!

Thought it expired on the 15th?

Yosemite Sam
January 18, 2012, 08:38 PM
Thought it expired on the 15th?
It was a soft deadline. I called and they said they "extended" it but didn't say when.

homers
January 18, 2012, 10:46 PM
If the deadline has been extended is true and there is anybody wanting to take advantage of the deal, please feel free to PM me.

Gmack
January 19, 2012, 05:17 AM
Folks, I've tried three times, and each time the rep on the other end of the phone says "your sponsor (whose endowment number I'm trying to use) has to call to set up your new lifetime membership". I understand quite a few people have been successful with this...any suggestions?

longknife12
January 19, 2012, 07:20 AM
Try a different number 1 888 672-3888 and follow the prompts. This appears to be working better for some.
Dan

raubvogel
January 20, 2012, 01:34 AM
Gmack, I first called 877 NRA-2012 and found they were acting like that number was to renew membership or something like that. So, I then called 1 888 672-3888, then 1 and 2 just like Acera mentioned (you probably should pay attention in the menus being called out by nagging Nancy); the people in the that number were much more knowledgeable.

I started my conversation with "I want to apply for the $300 life membership and have the NRA membership number and name for a current life member who is sponsoring me." After that we were in business.

dmazur
January 20, 2012, 02:20 PM
I can also confirm that NRA seems to categorize you as "renew" rather than the life membership offer, until you ask several times to speak with someone who knows about the program.

I believe it was "Life Member Services" who eventually helped me.

ebm1973
January 21, 2012, 01:15 PM
I'm interested in taking advantage of the $300 life membership if anyone is willing to act as my sponsor?

Thanks!
Eric

hoghog
January 21, 2012, 02:22 PM
I am also interested in becoming a lifetime member. Would someone sponser me so I can take advantage of the $300 offer.

Thanks,

darrin

PT92
January 21, 2012, 04:07 PM
What are the requirements for sponsorship?

-Cheers

hoghog
January 22, 2012, 03:29 AM
This is what someone provided me today and I was able to sign up. If someone else needs a sponser the belowinfo if is what you need to provide them.

Thanks,

Go to www.nra-2012.org
life member ID xxxxxxxxxx
life member zip is 12345
life member email address is myemail@email.com

raubvogel
January 22, 2012, 09:23 AM
That might be even more convenient.

Now, I wonder if *any* life members can sponsor others or just some that were told so.

homers
January 23, 2012, 10:50 PM
The offer has been extended by the NRA until March 2.

So, again I will assist those who want to become NRA life members for $300.

I make this offer to THR members who have not signed up only to take advantage of the $300 offer. If you've been a THR member for some time, have a decent number of posts (ie. you've been contributing to this great forum), then feel free to PM me and I'll help you out.

After PM exchanges, you can either call 877-NRA-2012 or 800.672.3888 number, press 1, then 2 or if you prefer I can sign you up via the NRA website.

rogerstg
January 24, 2012, 10:36 AM
This is what someone provided me today and I was able to sign up. If someone else needs a sponser the below info if is what you need to provide them.

Thanks,

Go to www.nra-2012.org
life member ID xxxxxxxxxx
life member zip is 12345
life member email address is myemail@email.com

That's the method that I used on Jan 4. I received my life membership package yesterday.

Many thanks to Longknife for sponsoring me.

Elkins45
January 24, 2012, 10:40 AM
The offer has been extended by the NRA until March 2.

So, again I will assist those who want to become NRA life members for $300.

I make this offer to THR members who have not signed up only to take advantage of the $300 offer. If you've been a THR member for some time, have a decent number of posts (ie. you've been contributing to this great forum), then feel free to PM me and I'll help you out.

After PM exchanges, you can either call 877-NRA-2012 or 800.672.3888 number, press 1, then 2 or if you prefer I can sign you up via the NRA website.
I just wanted to take this opportunity to publicly thank homers for his patience in helping me successfully navigate through the process. I'm a life member now because of his help. The $300 charge has shown up on my credit card and I am looking forward to getting my Life Member certificate in the mail soon.

This is a great opportunity. I've wanted to be a life member for the last 30 years and now I have finally made that wish a reality. Thanks again for your help.

trex1310
January 24, 2012, 08:19 PM
OK, thanks to homers I am now a life member of the NRA.
The number you need to call is 800-672-3888 and tell the nice
lady you want to enroll in the $300 NRA life membership. An
earlier post gave the number with an 888 area code.

PT92
January 24, 2012, 08:27 PM
Hands down, I would challenge anyone to find a more important thread on THR.

Congrats to both all who have helped enroll new members and to the new Lifers themselves!:)

ebm1973
January 25, 2012, 12:27 AM
Still looking for a sponsor.
14 year Navy vet, and certified gun nut. ;)

Thanks,
Eric

homers
January 25, 2012, 01:11 AM
Still looking for a sponsor.
14 year Navy vet, and certified gun nut. ;)

Thanks,
Eric
Eric,

PM sent

ebm1973
January 25, 2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks to Homers, I'm now a new life member of the NRA!
Thank you!!!
I called 1-800-672-3888 and they told me it's easier to call direct at 1-703-267-1000.
I called that number and after a wait they transferred me to the life member dept.
From there it was pretty easy.

Thanks again!
Eric

longknife12
January 25, 2012, 09:57 PM
Several of you are doing this on line.....in case it is still needed, my Zip is 80128....
Dan

cbrxxrider
January 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
The package I mailed with everyone's checks was received at NRA HQ today. I'm curious to see how much faster it is going straight to the Life Member Department than the super busy member processing center in Florida. Here's to hoping they deposit your checks this week or early next!
So have any of the checks started to clear?

Lilrascal
January 26, 2012, 09:25 PM
Mine has not cleared as of yet. Though not in a real big hurry since my yearly membership does not expire until sometime in summer.

Hawk88
January 27, 2012, 02:50 PM
I signed up last year and on the payment plan. Wonder if they will upgrade me?

ihctractor
January 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
I called my membership in on the 9th, my credit card was billed on the 11th and I received my life membership packet on the 26th. Not bad!:D
I will be framing the certificate and hanging it beside my U.S. Army Honorable Discharge.
Thanks again Longknife!!!

MO_mule
January 28, 2012, 06:17 PM
Kindly Sponsors (longknife12, homers, Yosemite Sam):

Many thanks for making this available to us. I checked my profile and I am now a Lifer! Yippee! Next year, I hope to become a sponsor (if they send me the paperwork or e-paperwork).

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Chris

boatanchor
January 28, 2012, 08:07 PM
Please PM me if you would be willing to sponsor me for a lifetime membership.

Thanks,

Scott

waycostation
January 28, 2012, 11:43 PM
New member but NOT new to this site. It has been a GREAT source of information to me over the past year while I jumped through all the hoops the Fed Gov, NYS & the county required me to jump through to obtain my NYS pistol permit & my FL- non resident (fees/forms at every twist n' turn). More a free woman than ever thanks to our forefathers and our constitution. This site was my reference and "go to guide" while I did my shopping but still have much more to learn and two young teen boys to educate. Would love to become a lifetime member of the NRA and appreciative of anyone that might be willing to help me obtain it.

God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it. Daniel Webster (1834)

TexasRedneck
January 29, 2012, 12:38 AM
"What does the NRA do?" Take a look at this string, then lemme know if you have any questions....

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/general-firearms-ammo-sponsored-eastex-guns/30869-interesting-job-tomorrow.html

Acera
January 29, 2012, 11:39 AM
Good Job TexasRedneck, I am glad that my money is making a difference and getting to the people who need it.

This has been a "feel good" thread for me on a number of issues now.

Do it guys, it's worth the effort.

TexasRedneck
January 29, 2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks - but bear in mind that I'm just one of the thousands of folks that worked hard to raise that money!! I just got ta help spend it....:D

DROCK
January 29, 2012, 03:43 PM
Hi THR,

I am also a new member but found out about this site in 2008 when a friend of mine helped me seek information to use in my speech at Manhattan College regarding the myth that gun control reduces crime. I am currently a NRA member and would absolutely love to take advantage of the $300 life time membership as this has always been something I've wanted to do but was never financially feasible, until now. My father is a life time member and is the one responsible for introducing me to the world of firearms. I am currently waiting for my pistol permit to be approved here in Westchester, NY. Once it gets approved, I will only legally be able to use the firearm at a shooting range or when I am hunting, and can never carry it concealed for protection. This is one major reason why I wish to support organizations like the NRA. Thank you for the opportunity. I hope a sponsor will take me into consideration.

D

TexasRedneck
January 29, 2012, 04:23 PM
DROCK - your Dad can "sponsor" you...if not, drop me a PM and I'll get you my membership number.

Gmack
January 30, 2012, 08:49 PM
I would like to take this opportunity to publicly thank longknife for his sponsorship. It took me several attempts at calling, but I finally got someone to sign me up. I called the (703) 267-1000, and asked for Life Member Services and from there it was pretty easy. Every time I called the general call centers i.e. the 800/866 numbers I always got the same response "your sponsor has to call to set up your $300 membership."
Finally got it! Woo-hoo!!!

Thanks again, longknife!!!

txgunsuscg
January 30, 2012, 08:53 PM
Credit card was charged this past week, just waiting for the official word from member services. Thanks homers!

edit 31 JAN: Life Membership showed up this morning in Member Services!

mgkdrgn
January 30, 2012, 09:24 PM
I have not taken the time to read this entire thread ... but it looks like I missed out by a few days?

homers
January 30, 2012, 09:52 PM
Mgkdrgn. No, offer has been extended to March 2nd. I sent you a PM.

ETCss Phil McCrackin
February 1, 2012, 06:49 PM
So, forgive the "johnny come lately" response, but what exactly has to happen for the $300 Life membership, is it still available, and who do I have to plead with?

waycostation
February 1, 2012, 10:24 PM
$300.00 life membership was good as of yesterday 2/1/12. I did find a sponsor and was able to sign up. I was not a member at all until yesterday. Very excited to have such a great opportunity and a such a great price. I heard (or read) here or on another site the offer was extended til March 2nd?? I did not ask cause I was good to go, but you could call and find out: 1-703-267-1000 or 1-800-672-3888 Life Member Services Dept.

All I was asked for was the members ID, MY zip code, name, address, payment info etc. & I was all set up- (Was on hold longer than it took to sign up).

PT92
February 1, 2012, 11:14 PM
So, forgive the "johnny come lately" response, but what exactly has to happen for the $300 Life membership, is it still available, and who do I have to plead with?
PM sent.

-Cheers

zkc1677095
February 1, 2012, 11:18 PM
So have any of the checks started to clear?
I just checked both the NRA site and my bank, and I'm still showing as an annual member on one and not yet $300.00 poorer on the other.

ebm1973
February 2, 2012, 01:49 AM
I'd really like to buy one of these life memberships for my 2 year old son. ;)

Isaac-1
February 2, 2012, 02:09 AM
This talk of life time NRA membership has me thinking about joining again, but before decide anything I would like to ask if the NRA is still the same as it was 20 years or so ago when I was last a member? At that time I was fairly young, had a wife and young kid and lots of bills to pay, I also thought it was important to be an NRA member, but could only affort the base level membership, at the time the NRA had a rather aggressive telemarketing program with people constantly calling asking for money to fund this initiative or that. Finally one day during a telemarketing call where they were trying to get me to give money to some fund to prevent some legislation the caller told me that being a base level NRA member did not even pay for the cost of all the free mailings they sent out and that being a base level member I was being a drain on the NRA, so I told them I could solve that problem for them, and have not been a member since.

So my question is, would signing up for an NRA life membership now, just be opening myself up to a never ending series of telemarketing calls where I am told I am a drain on the NRA if I don't give more money?

thanks Ike

cbrxxrider
February 2, 2012, 08:31 AM
This talk of life time NRA membership has me thinking about joining again, but before decide anything I would like to ask if the NRA is still the same as it was 20 years or so ago when I was last a member? At that time I was fairly young, had a wife and young kid and lots of bills to pay, I also thought it was important to be an NRA member, but could only affort the base level membership, at the time the NRA had a rather aggressive telemarketing program with people constantly calling asking for money to fund this initiative or that. Finally one day during a telemarketing call where they were trying to get me to give money to some fund to prevent some legislation the caller told me that being a base level NRA member did not even pay for the cost of all the free mailings they sent out and that being a base level member I was being a drain on the NRA, so I told them I could solve that problem for them, and have not been a member since.

So my question is, would signing up for an NRA life membership now, just be opening myself up to a never ending series of telemarketing calls where I am told I am a drain on the NRA if I don't give more money?

thanks Ike
Thanks to caller id I have never had to listen to these requests over the past 6 years. My recommendation to you is to just tell them "right now is not a good time for us to make a donation". That has worked as well for our family.

TexasRedneck
February 2, 2012, 08:41 AM
You can also tell them to take you off their call list. You can call the NRA and ask calls be stopped, mailings be stopped - whatever you want. Yes, they market. Obviously it works for 'em. Like many others, it aggravated me until I found out that it really is easy to get it stopped and that they DO honor such requests.

Guess I figure I'd rather have the NRA calling me than the Sheriff to announce the new gun program, and they're coming to get mine.

Livnoutdoorsxd9
February 2, 2012, 03:14 PM
I'm a NRA member doing the EPL for $25 a fiscal quarter for 10 years, is there any way I'm able to pay $300 and get full life membership while I'm still in my twenties?

IGETDRUNK
February 2, 2012, 04:23 PM
I ordered my $300 NRA Life Membership today. I would like to say thank you to my sponsor. The first number I called 1-800-672-3888 I had a few issues with. I politely asked the lady if i could enroll in the $300 life membership. She the immeaditly asked me my if my sponsor had called ahead of time and given them my name and said if my name was not on the sponsors account she could not help me. I was not sure what to say so i hung up with her and called 1-703-267-1000.
The lady answered the phone Diane I think.. and I asked her the same question. She said certainly we need all the members we can get I will be glad do help. Then I gave her my sponsors ID # and name then my info and was told they would withdraw the money in 48 hrs anf that I would receive my Life Membership Package in 2 to 3 weeks.

ETCss Phil McCrackin
February 2, 2012, 04:41 PM
First, much thanks to Acera for his "sponsorship" and quick response, and to PT92 for his offer.

Second, the process couldn't have been easier. Phone person indicated that there was only a couple of days left, but otherwise asked for just a little info and it was done, with a promise of credentials in the mail in a short time.

Thanks again!

Isaac-1
February 2, 2012, 06:01 PM
I guess I am going to have to give this some thought

Ike

cbrxxrider
February 2, 2012, 08:32 PM
Isaac-1,
where are you located in SW Louisiana if you don't mind me asking?

longknife12
February 3, 2012, 07:24 AM
Back up a couple of pages, my name, endowment # is posted along with my zip. Feel free to use the info!
Dan

PT92
February 3, 2012, 07:52 AM
Is it possible that we could all self-perpetuate this thread (endless new NRA Lifers) indefinitely? Think about that and its endlessly positive effects...Great thread!

-Cheers

zonzin
February 3, 2012, 05:04 PM
Wow what a long thread. Difficult to figure out what sponsorship to use. Please ping me if you can still sponsor.

longknife12
February 3, 2012, 08:54 PM
zonzin...pm sent.
Dan

Sgt_R
February 4, 2012, 03:34 AM
Wow what a long thread. Difficult to figure out what sponsorship to use. Please ping me if you can still sponsor.

Ditto. I would also appreciate a PM.

R

PT92
February 4, 2012, 09:11 AM
Ditto. I would also appreciate a PM.R

PM sent.

-Cheers

longknife12
February 4, 2012, 09:11 AM
Sgt....PM sent. I really don't count your post count, we all started some where. I'm helping you and my NRA.
Dan

longknife12
February 4, 2012, 08:31 PM
As 2012 is a pivotal election year, I agree that we try to establish this as a permanant link! I applaud the others that started this link! Please, if it will help you.....use my NRA stuff.As a Endowment member, I am not limited to a number of people....we need all of you.
Please feel free to PM for necessary info.
Dan

PT92
February 4, 2012, 08:39 PM
Longknife, sometimes a simple DITTO is all that needs to be said.

-Cheers

longknife12
February 4, 2012, 09:03 PM
My humble apology for the intruson....
Dan

PT92
February 4, 2012, 09:06 PM
My humble apology for the intruson....
Dan
OOPS! Sorry about that if that came across the wrong way:eek:! I was simply reiterating your sentiments with my own ditto (I'm blaming it on my Sat. evening cocktail!).

-Cheers

longknife12
February 4, 2012, 09:40 PM
Forget it....no offence taken.....let's work together to get this perpuating!
Dan
;)

PT92
February 4, 2012, 09:44 PM
Forget it....no offence taken.....let's work together to get this perputating!
Dan
;)

Longknife--Indeed, numbers will make a world of difference!

-Cheers

JustA19D
February 4, 2012, 11:19 PM
If anyone is still sponsoring id like to hop on this deal

PT92
February 4, 2012, 11:49 PM
If anyone is still sponsoring id like to hop on this deal

PM sent.

-Cheers

armoredman
February 5, 2012, 05:35 PM
Question - I call the NRA directly I can still get this deal, (funds in a week or so), or do I have to go through someone?

Acera
February 5, 2012, 06:17 PM
I think those that have called the NRA directly, not one of the call centers have had better luck.

All you need is a life members number. PM me if you want to use mine.

Livnoutdoorsxd9
February 6, 2012, 03:37 AM
I'm a NRA member doing the EPL for $25 a fiscal quarter for 10 years, is there any way I'm able to pay $300 and get full life membership while I'm still in my twenties?
anyone know?

Sgt_R
February 6, 2012, 03:41 AM
Is there a website for this, or does it have to be done over the phone? Planning to get 'er done later today...

R

Acera
February 6, 2012, 11:43 AM
Is there a website for this, or does it have to be done over the phone? Planning to get 'er done later today...

R

I could not find any reference on the website, gotta make the call.

jbrown50
February 6, 2012, 12:03 PM
Many thanks to Homers for your sponsorship.

I called the 703-267-1000 number this morning. A nice lady representative signed me up for the $300 life membership and my package is on the way.

Thanks.

jmullen0125
February 6, 2012, 02:39 PM
I also took advantage of this deal today....

I called 1-703-267-1000 and asked to be directed to Life Member Services. I waited on hold for about 10 minutes but when I finally got to talk to some one (I think her name was Diane), she took care of me in about 2 minutes! All I said was "Hi, I'm calling about the $300 lifetime membership offer with a sponsor." She said, "ok, what's your sponsor's #?" and then signed me up!!! Other than waiting on hold it was super simple.

Thanks to longknife12 for your sponsorship!! ;)

rhodco
February 6, 2012, 02:55 PM
My membership went through, but I found a problem I wanted to make you all aware of:

The first time I went to the nramemberservices.org website to register, I created my username and password, logged in, and found someone else's e-mail address listed in my profile info. It also had a different magazine choice listed and my member status was shown as "Expired". I spoke to "Diane" in Life Member services and she had no explanation. I have to wait 7 to 10 days for a request to be forwarded to their IT dept.

My primary concern is this - if someone else's info is listed in MY profile, could my info be listed in someone else's profile? How did this info get mixed up? Lazy human error, or a problem with the NRA database indexes? If we all care about the organization, seems like we would want problems like this investigated and resolved so they don't happen again.

I suggest everyone log in and check your profile to see if your information listed is correct.

homers
February 6, 2012, 02:55 PM
I could not find any reference on the website, gotta make the call.
I believe the website is NRA-2012.org -- There is the tricky issue of either letting the new member have access to your account and hopefully doesn't sign you up for endowment offer, or having the new member give you their credit card information which you would enter later.

Yosemite Sam
February 7, 2012, 11:37 PM
Have any of the folks who signed up (by check) through me had their checks clear or membership statuses changed? The last couple of years it's taken about 4ish weeks. Hope some good thing happen soon.

Acera
February 7, 2012, 11:58 PM
There is the tricky issue of either letting the new member have access to your account and hopefully doesn't sign you up for endowment offer, or having the new member give you their credit card information which you would enter later.

Seriously that is a total PIA.

The few that have asked me, I just gave them the phone number, and my number and they did all the work themselves. No problem, I did not have to do anything with the NRA on their behalf. No access to my account, no name, no address, nada................

Too easy, and no need for extra work on anybody's part.

homers
February 8, 2012, 12:05 AM
I was talking about signing up via the www.nra-2010.org site. Either they need some of your info (and, if you are a life member, there is an option to upgrade to endowment), and the credit card info is needed. I didn't do this route.

I've tell everyone to call themselves, I won't handle anybody's money or credit card) and sign up on their own.

glock45
February 8, 2012, 02:03 AM
Hey guys, does anyone have sponsorship info they can pm me? I would really love to join the NRA Lifetime Membership and have been wanting to for years. I finally have the money saved up, and want in on the deal. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

**Update 2/10/12**
I was finally able to get sponsored and joined this great cause! You are looking at a new NRA Lifetime Member!
Special thanks to longknife12!!

scbison
February 8, 2012, 11:54 AM
If I could get a sponsor for the Life membership please pm me. tx!

crracer_712
February 8, 2012, 03:54 PM
Anyone wanting to sponsor me, I'd like to upgrade to life. My current membership expires 3/31/13.

PT92
February 8, 2012, 05:13 PM
If I can help, here's my Life Membership info:

Zip 63139

PM me if anything else is needed.

-Cheers

zkc1677095
February 8, 2012, 05:42 PM
Have any of the folks who signed up (by check) through me had their checks clear or membership statuses changed? The last couple of years it's taken about 4ish weeks. Hope some good thing happen soon.

Nothing on my end, so I called NRA Lifetime Membership yesterday and spoke with Mary(?), who informed me that she had three packages of new lifetime enrollments to process that she said she was going to "work OT on Thursday to take care of." Time will tell.

crracer_712
February 8, 2012, 06:41 PM
Interesting

I simply called the 703-267-1000 number, pressed 1, then 2. After about 2 minutes my call was ansered, asked for my name and my membership number, then what the call pertained. I asked about the 300.00 life membership offer, she knew about it, but never asked for a sponsor number. Just took my payment info, said I would receive my life membership kit in 4 to 6 weeks.

My membership was current and won't expire until 3/31/2013. I asked when my status would change. She initially said it won't change until my current membership expires in 2013, then she said she wasn't sure, that she didn't know for sure, but they might possibly apply my remaining balance on current membership towards the life. However, she said my charge was 300.00, so that last part didn't equate. I did get a confirmation number on my order.

PT92, thank you for providing info, but apparently it isn't needed.

Yosemite Sam
February 9, 2012, 07:40 PM
Nothing on my end, so I called NRA Lifetime Membership yesterday and spoke with Mary(?), who informed me that she had three packages of new lifetime enrollments to process that she said she was going to "work OT on Thursday to take care of." Time will tell.
That's good to hear - I'm positive one of those is the package I mailed since I sent it straight to the Life Member department in Fairfax (per Diane's suggestion). I can see how it may be overwhelming to get a whole packet full of $6000+ checks and a 8.5 x 14" spreadsheet with you guys' information all at once. Ha, more work.

I see that the phone and credit card method is working well this year for guys like homers and longknife. I'll try that next time this offer rolls around since the NRA seems to be OK with doing that.

longknife12
February 9, 2012, 09:47 PM
Thats the only way I'll handle it....Gawd, I've answered a LOT of PM's.........time well spent!I also noticed some of the guys I sponsored have jumped in and helping some get there.......that's what it is all about.
Dan

crracer_712
February 9, 2012, 11:07 PM
I confirmed mine was an actual life membership today, by calling back in. I then got my friend in Texas who just re-upped his annual to go in on the life membership.

PT92
February 9, 2012, 11:29 PM
Interesting

I simply called the 703-267-1000 number, pressed 1, then 2. After about 2 minutes my call was ansered, asked for my name and my membership number, then what the call pertained. I asked about the 300.00 life membership offer, she knew about it, but never asked for a sponsor number. Just took my payment info, said I would receive my life membership kit in 4 to 6 weeks.

My membership was current and won't expire until 3/31/2013. I asked when my status would change. She initially said it won't change until my current membership expires in 2013, then she said she wasn't sure, that she didn't know for sure, but they might possibly apply my remaining balance on current membership towards the life. However, she said my charge was 300.00, so that last part didn't equate. I did get a confirmation number on my order.

Great to hear that so many have signed up as Lifers! What a way to kick off the year.

-Cheers

TyGuy
February 10, 2012, 01:08 PM
I called to upgrade today with a sponsor's ID # but she said the sponsor himself would have to call for me. She then offered to let me become a life member for a discounted price of $600! Thanks, but no thanks. I actually found that to be insulting. I will still donate $$$ even after I become a life member, but don't offer to let me pay double what I called in for. She also then asked for $25 to sponsor a membership for a service member. So I called in for a $300 membership and they wanted me to leave paying $625? Come on now. I said that I would happily pay for the $25 service member membership when I get the $300 membership worked out.

Hopefully it will work out.

HiccaBurp
February 10, 2012, 04:07 PM
Just checked my bank account and nothing on my end? Hope soon!!

glock45
February 10, 2012, 11:30 PM
You are looking at a new NRA Lifetime Member! Thanks to longknife12!

I asked about the lifetime leather jacket.. lol. You can only get it if you pay $1000 life membership or buy it in the NRA store for $250. ;)

Lilrascal
February 11, 2012, 11:43 AM

Good news. My check posted at my bank today!!

crracer_712
February 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
I called to upgrade today with a sponsor's ID # but she said the sponsor himself would have to call for me. She then offered to let me become a life member for a discounted price of $600! Thanks, but no thanks. I actually found that to be insulting. I will still donate $$$ even after I become a life member, but don't offer to let me pay double what I called in for. She also then asked for $25 to sponsor a membership for a service member. So I called in for a $300 membership and they wanted me to leave paying $625? Come on now. I said that I would happily pay for the $25 service member membership when I get the $300 membership worked out.

Hopefully it will work out.

You must got the wrong person, or I got the easy one. I got it for 300, never having to give a sponsor number, although I said I had a sponsor number if she needed it. I don't know if it matters, but I was already a member, halfway through a 3 year re-up.

I called the next day to verify I was a lifer, and it was confirmed.

As for the 600.00 offer, that is the current mailer they were sending out (I had received two notices on that about 3 months apart)

After she took my 300.00 life member payment, she also asked about the 25.00 service member membership, however, I declined.

JustA19D
February 11, 2012, 01:42 PM
Just called them and got it all taken care of. this is great. Thanks to PT92, who is apparently a fellow missourian. haha. thanks man

cheytacbanger
February 11, 2012, 07:00 PM
Gentlemen,

I was recently referred to this website from a member of another site. I like what I see, so I have registered! Anyway, the topic of NYC Mayor Bloomberg launching a full frontal assault on gun rights with his personal multi-billion dollar fortune is moving many to consider a more active role in the NRA and increasing their own membership commitment. This was, in fact, exactly my own motivation for increasing my membership level to Lifetime member status. I have called three times so far and each operator has indicated a sponsoring member must call to begin the process for new Lifetimers.

On my last call, the lady said the "abuse" of signing up new members at the $300 rate has made them require the call by the sponsor. Is this truly an attempt to limit their own membership at a time when we are facing a multi-billionaire launching what may become the greatest attack on the Second Amendment in our lifetimes? Pardon my language, but that is bull****! It is a well established fact that most people will let lapse an annually membership after a few years. The NRA stands to benefit from more member's commitment of a one-time $300 payment than a few years at $35 or $60 then lapsing.

Anyway, I still have yet to land a Lifetime membership. Should I continue calling, or is this hardline on the sponsoring member participating each time the new normal? Regardless, I look forward to this site and what it offers.

Yosemite Sam
February 11, 2012, 09:54 PM
Good news. My check posted at my bank today!!
Woohoo, great news. I've heard from a couple others that their checks have cleared too. Expect a big packet in the next week or two. :D

Yosemite Sam
February 11, 2012, 09:57 PM
cheytacbanger, it's unfortunate to hear that, but I can kind of understand. From what I've heard, the NRA isn't overflowing with employees, and the Life Member department is pretty small. It's very likely they are overwhelmed with all the phone calls.

Honestly, I think online is the way to do this nowadays, and their website keeps getting better. Hopefully the next time this rolls around we'll have a self-service way of signing up members for the $300 offer.

asahrts
February 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
Interesting

I've been inspired by reading this thread to give it a try. I just got off the phone with a representative that confirmed the $300 offer! They said the best way for it to process is for the current life member to call & pay for it themselves; however I explained that this wouldn't work in my situation because my friend that's a life member lives too far away, blah blah blah. She then said that I just needed their life member so that they can verify the referring person is in fact a life member & they will take my payment & process my membership!

I contacted my friend to get his info, but if he doesn't get back to me soon enough, I'll reach out via PM to a couple of people on this thread for details.

One thing i would like to note... I tried following this "I simply called the 703-267-1000 number, pressed 1, then 2. After about 2 minutes my call was answered, asked for my name and my membership number, then what the call pertained." and it didn't work. The phone number was answered by a receptionist & directed me to life member services. I waited on hold for 16 minutes with no answer. I decided to hang up & call the general number on the back of my card, (877) NRA-2000, then followed the steps as described above. They asked for the same info & additionally verified my address before I asked about the $300 life membership deal.

I'm excited!!!!

Thank you all for the info!

crracer_712
February 13, 2012, 03:38 PM
The odd thing about when I called, after 4pm central time, was when they answered, it was an automated answering machine, saying the office is closed, business hours were somthing to 5 pm Eastern time (so I was late), then it was followed by prompts and got to where I had a live person.

trex1310
February 13, 2012, 05:10 PM
I took advantage of the $300 life membership. It took about 10
minutes on the phone with a very nice and friendly lady. I'm now
a lifer.

Mustang02
February 13, 2012, 05:28 PM
I took advantage of the $300 life membership. It took about 10
minutes on the phone with a very nice and friendly lady. I'm now
a lifer.

Did you do this recently?

asahrts
February 13, 2012, 06:20 PM
my experience (post #246) was from today, feb 13, at about 11am pacific. i hope to call back and pay within a day.

crracer_712
February 13, 2012, 06:48 PM
There is already a life member number on this thread, post 230 by PT92, if you did not get one already.

Lilrascal
February 14, 2012, 11:35 AM
Just logged onto the NRA website today, and my status changed from Annual member to Life member. Thanks again Yosemite Sam.

If you enjoyed reading about "$300 NRA life membership" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!