Anti-recoil stock?

PDA

ExAgoradzo
November 29, 2011, 04:25 PM
So, I understand that some stocks help lessen the recoil of a gun more than others...What do I look for?
Muzzle break, recoil pad, and... Especially thinking in terms of larger calibers, 375 h&h, 45-70, etc.
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Anti-recoil stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jnoble87
November 29, 2011, 05:41 PM
I prefer a good recoil pad, like a Limbsaver or the Pachmayr Decelerator. They really work well and tame excessive recoil.

Dr T
November 29, 2011, 05:54 PM
The synthetic stock on my Sako TRG takes the sting out of my 300 Weatherby Mag. However, not all synthetic stocks are created equally. Look for a recoil pad that has sorbothane in it. And a PAST pad to wear on your shoulder will help.

When shooting my 375 H&H, I wrap a neoprene scuba weight belt with about 10 lbs in in around the stock :-)

Hizzie
November 29, 2011, 06:25 PM
A properly designed stock that fits the shooter correctly will always kick less than a poorly designed ill fitting stock. A good recoil pad such as Pachmayr Decerator can help considerably. Keep in mind that shooting big bore/heavy recoiling rifles is not the same as shooting small bores. There is a different technique to do it right. Don't shoot big bores from the bench if at all possible.

JWF III
November 29, 2011, 06:52 PM
A properly designed stock that fits the shooter correctly will always kick less than a poorly designed ill fitting stock.

The #1 rule in recoil management.

Wyman

ExAgoradzo
November 29, 2011, 06:56 PM
Is there a place I can go to learn this technique: I've never shot big bore before and I want to learn (at least get the idea) before I dislocate my shoulder :).

snakeman
November 29, 2011, 07:02 PM
knoxx talon thumbhole

Hizzie
November 30, 2011, 12:59 AM
Check out Accurate Reloading and 24hr Campfire. The way it was explained to me was:

Place the butt of the rifle more towards your pec than shoulder.

Use a more squared up stance.

Pull the rifle tighly into shoulder.

Use weak hand to pull back and down on the fore end. Get a good grip.

Lean into the rifle

Bend knee of front leg.

Brace yourself with rear leg.

Roll with the punch.

*Do NOT be afraid of the rifle.* Most important.

Honestly it won't be as bad as everyone has made it out to be. I managed 12 510gr SP's @ 2040 out of my 8.5lb 458WM with a rock hard recoil pad. A 375H&H in a decently heavy rifle will be a breeze. And 45-70 is only technically a big bore.;)

ExAgoradzo
November 30, 2011, 01:30 AM
Thanks Hizzie. Thanks for the admonition to get a good fitting stock and for the note on 'how' to do it.
Also, thanks guys on the pads to buy as well...

If you enjoyed reading about "Anti-recoil stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!