How is everybody's white-tailed deer season going?

PDA

baylorattorney
December 1, 2011, 04:53 PM
Thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "How is everybody's white-tailed deer season going?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Doug S
December 1, 2011, 07:08 PM
I'm in the Northeast. Shot an 8 point on Monday. Going out for a doe on Saturday.

Zombiphobia
December 1, 2011, 07:55 PM
it isn't. everytime I get geared up to go out something comes up to occupy my time:banghead:

newfalguy101
December 1, 2011, 08:12 PM
Put a decent 2X2 in the freezer opening day, nuttin since.........

Course there is still the upcoming late season end of December, early Jan :neener:

sixgunner455
December 1, 2011, 08:25 PM
Well, it's over. And I didn't get one.

content
December 1, 2011, 09:22 PM
Hello friends and neighbors// I've been blessed with several big contracts and have had little time for fun but am glad for the work.

Since bow season started mid Sept. I have one Whitetail, taken after center fire rifle season started in mid Oct. here it's Dec. already dang it and only one in the freezer with only 30 hunting days left.
A seven point buck, 140 lbs. (decent for upstate S.C.), 190 yards by range finder.
Using a 1968, Remington, 760ADL, Gamemaster, .30-06 with a Nikon 3X9X40

I got to the stand at 4:00 and was dragging him home by 5:00.
Barely had time for a cup of coffee.:D

Hit_Factor
December 1, 2011, 09:31 PM
Have only seen one so far. Firearm season is closed now. Muzzleloader opens in a couple weeks. Will hunt again.
This year and last year have not been good hunting. I understand blue tounge disease has severely affected the herd in SW Michigan.

Typically I take 3-4 deer each year. Last year while light in action produced my biggest buck to date. So I don't have much to complain about.

My German shepherd dog will miss her daily venison if this year turns out a bust. She doesn't turn up her nose to raw chicken though, so she will get by.

Congratulations to the successful hunters.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
December 1, 2011, 09:37 PM
Poorly, just like about every year since I got my last deer over 20 years ago. I need to devise a system so I can use my trail cam to know how the deer move. One problem is, I have only gotten several pictures of bucks which is all one can shoot here, and it must have more than two points.

If I could only find where, in my woods, do the bucks go through and at what time. I have a cedar swamp, thick woods and plenty of deer tracks. During the summer, I put my back yard lights on and there were SIX deer in my wife's small garden, about 15 yards from the back of the house, no bucks as far as I could tell, we have a lot of does around here. However, where there are does, the bucks are probably just out of sight, in hiding.

LeonCarr
December 1, 2011, 10:09 PM
Saw four bucks one after the other one morning the week before Thanksgiving, all of them too small (Several Texas counties have antler restrictions, at least one unbranched antler or inside spread of at least 13 inches/spread outside the ears in the alert position). Other than that, zip/zero/nada.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

jmstevens2
December 1, 2011, 10:13 PM
Took aim on a 10 pointer yesterday and some jerk thought it would be funny to scare it off with his horn when he saw it off in the cornfield with an orange dot 75 yards away. Didn't see crap today that wasn't running, or 600 yards away. My muzzle loader is good, not that good.

303tom
December 1, 2011, 10:28 PM
Little brother got my buck, have seen others just not one I would drop the hammer on....

d2wing
December 1, 2011, 10:32 PM
I almost didn't hunt. I lost my hunting spot up in Northern Mn, and my son that I hunt with could not go. Then I got sick 1 1/2 weeks before season and was still sick the night before. I had zero'd my slug gun and had a local spot picked out on public land. I woke up a felt good enough to go for a couple hours. I had my gear ready but got out late. The wind was wrong for the spot I scouted, I tried another spot and luckily it was not taken. After a while I started not feeling too good so I headed for my truck. Then I heard shooting west of me and hurried back to my spot. About 20 minutes later a doe tried to sneak by and I got her. Everything went well when it counted. I just ate some smoked venison brats.

BCCL
December 1, 2011, 10:35 PM
Decent small Buck this year.

jbkebert
December 1, 2011, 11:05 PM
I drew on a nice 10 point about two weeks ago. Decided to let him walk to give one of my kids a crack at him during rifle season. Gun season kicked off yesterday. So i will take the boys out this weekend. Other than that i have been trying to get a arrow in this old gray faced doe. This old hag can bust a stand with her nose plugged up and her eyes closed. I am sick enough of her that i would even take her with a rifle given the chance.

Geno
December 1, 2011, 11:07 PM
I took a huge-bodied 3-point on opening day in MI. It processed at around 75 pounds of meat, no bone. I paid to have it processed into steaks, roasts, chunks for canning, summer sausage with pepper jack cheese, brats with pepper jack cheese, and some jerky. I gave it to my sister's family for Christmas. They LOVE venison. Oh that you could have seen their smiles. :D Uncle Geno done did good.

Geno

Rembrandt
December 1, 2011, 11:07 PM
Bow tag has been filled....9 pointer, weighed 325 lbs on the hoof, rack scored 140", big bodied buck was a "horse".

Have 4 more tags to fill before Jan 10th.....trail cams indicate bigger bucks are still out there.

Arkansas Paul
December 1, 2011, 11:12 PM
Two does so far, one in muzzleloader season and one just yesterday morning with modern gun. Now I can set back and wait on a big boy. I need to get one with my bow and get my triple trophy patch. Never done that before.

colbysdad
December 1, 2011, 11:14 PM
We had a very warm deer season this year. Some places in Michigan was in the 60's. The only deer I saw this year, I helped a friend drag out of the woods. It was still a great season. When family and friends get together it's all good. Next year I might buy a muzzleloader !

stonecoldy
December 2, 2011, 12:01 AM
I'm hunting in northern Kentucky, went out all three weekends. I was picky on shooting a buck on opening day and passed on three (first had a broken antler, would have been a nice 8 otherwise), the next was a small rack 6 point, the third had long skinny beams with short points-another in our group bagged it for their first deer ever, 9 points. As of right now I'll be content with a meat doe or two during muzzleloader in about a week should that happen. I love just being out and hunting with family, seeing the wildlife. Watched a small flock of turkeys rooting out acorns, one actually leaped on top of a doe and chased it off! Had a barred owl fly up in a tree next to me and start carrying on before shooting light, scared the h*** out of me at first, neat though. One of my cousins shot a nice 9 point for his first deer also, would have been happy to get a shot at him myself. If you can't tell I've had a successful season already.

Flintknapper
December 2, 2011, 12:02 AM
jbkebert wrote:

Other than that i have been trying to get a arrow in this old gray faced doe. This old hag can bust a stand with her nose plugged up and her eyes closed. I am sick enough of her that i would even take her with a rifle given the chance

Hah,

I know what you mean! Nothing worse than an old "Nanny" Doe that knows all the tricks...when you are bow-hunting. They seem to have incredible powers that enable them to spot a stand, a silhouette, a slight movement, NO movement, something...every time! :uhoh:

About all you can do is back off a distance with a rifle and snipe them.

Otherwise they'll pick you off...no matter how many times you move your stand, no matter how clean you get, have the wind, etc....

They somehow bust you and stand out there 100 yds. away stomping and blowing, warning everything within 5 miles of you to stay away. ;)

Shanghai McCoy
December 2, 2011, 12:12 AM
Been out the last two days here in NE Kansass and have not seen anything.:(
Supposed to be a weather change tomorrow so maybe that will get something moving.. ?

beeenbag
December 2, 2011, 12:20 AM
For what it's worth, SUCKY.

I worked 7 10s all the way through it, night shift, out of town.

It's ok though, I'm home and looking forward to late ml season.

jbkebert
December 2, 2011, 12:22 AM
I think that old doe knows which stand i will hunt before I do. Bucks are one thing but the old nanny doe is a true trophy with a bow. Talk about a lesson in pure frustration.

ralphie98
December 2, 2011, 12:34 AM
Don't bow hunt.... yet
Went down to Nebraska to the family farm to harvest a couple of does for antlerless season, and I say harvest because it isn't really hunting... they're everywhere.
Back up in MN we had a horrible opening weekend due to the crazy winds. The deer were not moving at all so in our camp of 8 hunters we only got 3 deer. Because of my trip in October to NE my wife was not letting me get away another weekend.
I was thinking of trying muzzle loader this year, even got my boss to offer up one of his muzzle loaders as a loaner but as it would turn out we already had things scheduled all 3 weekends. Hopefully next year.

jmstevens2
December 2, 2011, 01:43 AM
I'm just hopin my boy gets the big un I missed. He got a doe last year, no bucks yet.

baylorattorney
December 2, 2011, 02:27 AM
Took aim on a 10 pointer yesterday and some jerk thought it would be funny to scare it off with his horn when he saw it off in the cornfield with an orange dot 75 yards away. Didn't see crap today that wasn't running, or 600 yards away. My muzzle loader is good, not that good.

What that guy did tooting his horn is against the law. It is the intentional disruption of hunting. A crime. For real tho.

Davek1977
December 2, 2011, 08:33 AM
Killed a 10 pointer on opening day!! no complaints here, as i waited until the last 5 minutes of season last year!!! Saw a lot of nice whitetail bucks, but only ONE nice mule deer buck....which is an oddity for my area, as historically we are predominately a mule deer area

newfalguy101
December 2, 2011, 10:21 AM
Don't bow hunt.... yet
Went down to Nebraska to the family farm to harvest a couple of does for antlerless season, and I say harvest because it isn't really hunting... they're everywhere.
Back up in MN we had a horrible opening weekend due to the crazy winds. The deer were not moving at all so in our camp of 8 hunters we only got 3 deer. Because of my trip in October to NE my wife was not letting me get away another weekend.
I was thinking of trying muzzle loader this year, even got my boss to offer up one of his muzzle loaders as a loaner but as it would turn out we already had things scheduled all 3 weekends. Hopefully next year.
Just curious, What part of Nebraska??

I am in south central Nebraska , hunt Buffalo unit, and as posted didnt see much.

BigN
December 2, 2011, 10:36 AM
We've got 2 days left here and then a week of muzzleloader shooting but so far it's been scarce. Guys are getting bucks here but so far all I've seen are does. Lots of coyotes though, so I'm looking forward to that after deer season closes. Took several deer carcasses that had been meated and set those out in a few different places, that'll help draw the coyotes in. In theory at least...

kyle1974
December 2, 2011, 12:10 PM
seeing a lot of young deer, but the mature deer aren't moving much yet. I think anyday now they should start moving around a bit more. We've got until february 28th, but hopefully by december I'll have something nice down.

Legionnaire
December 2, 2011, 05:20 PM
No bucks for me thus far. Took a doe during PA's early muzzleloader season--first time with black powder. Missed a 6-point morning of NY's regular opener with that same muzzleloader. Shot and killed a doe late the same day, but we were unable to find her until the next morning and, unfortunately, the coyotes found her first ... ate the hams out of her. Still tagged and reported her, but didn't bring her home. Filled another antlerless tag a few days later, so two in the freezer. Saw several doe first day of PA's regular season, but I'd already used my doe tag. Saw no antlers.

Hope to get out again a couple more times before the regular season is over. If unsuccessful, I'll try again after Christmas during the primitive (open sight flintlocks) season, when my remaining tag is good for either buck or doe.

jbkebert
December 2, 2011, 07:43 PM
The old hag doe just wont die. Took off a little early today to go out and try and snipe the old gray faced doe. I opened the safe and the first rifle sitting there was my sons ruger m77 .308 win. So i grabbed it and a couple shells and headed out. The nanny doe came into a feild from where i did not expect. Range finder said 285 yards a very makeable shot. I got greedy and went for a neck shot instead of body. Well i missed and she lives to piss me off another day.

Tomorrow i am taking my .300 win i no its overkill but with her it might barley be enough.

boltgunner93
December 2, 2011, 09:14 PM
Great.

I didn't see much action during bow season, but at least I was out in the woods.

I got a nice sized 8 point on opening day, then a button buck that I thought was a doe.

Last week I got another button buck.

I've really got to work on that. . . I hate to take 6 month old bucks, but they grow pretty well up here in farm country, so from a distance it's hard to tell how big they are or aren't.

Next season I really want to fill my antler-less tags with matriarch does.

DM~
December 2, 2011, 10:25 PM
I saw plenty of deer, and i hunted nearly every day of the rifle season. I let a 4 point go by early on the first day and shot this buck opening evening,

http://www.fototime.com/CED0CCDA9508B28/orig.jpg

Where i live, we can buy 5 doe tags a DAY, and fill them how ever we want durning the season, but i only shot two does of the 8 to 13 deer i saw every day, that's all the meat i need, and i shared some of that... I did also saw some spikes, but no other bigger bucks...

DM

jbkebert
December 2, 2011, 10:34 PM
Awful nice buck DM.

baylorattorney
December 2, 2011, 10:46 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6934d20-ad43-232f.jpgTagged the fattest buck I can recall. 190lbs field dressed. 10 point buck I've been hunting three days. This afternoon was the day.. 210 yards .243 80 grain fell where he stood. Perfect. I'll eat him all winter long!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=27.354749,-98.158139
Waste not want not. :)

v8stang289
December 2, 2011, 11:29 PM
Got this decent bodied 4 pt towards the end of October. Put a good amount of meat in the freezer. I haven't got anything since, but i'll be in the woods first thing in the AM to try my luck.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg214/v8stang289/deer4.jpg

41 Mag
December 3, 2011, 06:30 AM
Well, it all depends.

As for the seeing part, I have seen some really nice ones even with the drought we have had. I hunt several places, my own small 100acre or so place, and being blessed with some REALLY great friends, their two properties of 500 and 1500 acres. On all three places the drought has taken a noticeable toll on the deer but there are still those few which are in the WOW category.

Sunday before last I was hunting their 500 acre place, when after being told if I saw one of the big 6's, to get him, I put this brute down. He wasn't exactly one of the ones they were talking about or had been seeing, but they were pretty glad I took him out.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Hunting%202011/PB200278.jpg

A report from the rancher who has our 100 acres leased has it that there is a large racked buck with a drop tine working the area pretty hard as well. He lives across the road from our place and said he is pretty sure it has been crossing over from his place to ours on a regular basis. We haven't caught him on any of the game cams, but they are going back up this weekend, along with a presence in the one pasture by the daughter and grandson.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Hunting%202011/PB200276.jpg

He might not have had the largest rack, but his body size was huge for the area, compared to most everything else we had been seeing. The old scales put him at 175# field dressed, and after both my bud and I drug him close to a hundred yards, I am not doubting them one bit.

Back on our 100 acre place, we knew we had a good one make it through last season and hopes were high the daughter or especially the grandson would get him, or that I might possibly get him during archery season or later with my bow. Well as luck would have it, I didn't get the chance, the Friday after Thanksgiving, the daughter, persistent as she is, put the hammer down on this one,
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Hunting%202011/Photo-0152.jpg

The oldest grandson chose to go with me to my friends place that Friday morning, and passed on his chance, but we saw plenty of VERY nice ones and even had seven does within 10yds of us, which is the real kick for him.

baronthered
December 3, 2011, 07:12 AM
Got a decent 6 pointer on Halloween...

on my way home from work...

At 3 am...

With my truck...

No damage to truck with my winch bumper out front but what a mess.

Hit him directly in the rear... hard enough to make the insides explode out the rear end all over the grill, hood and windsheild.

I'm still getting small bits of him off the truck from time to time... errrg yuck.

Oddly I've had no desire to go hunting since...

Always next year...

ralphie98
December 3, 2011, 12:30 PM
Just curious, What part of Nebraska??
We're up in Knox county, in the north east part of the state. The group that went hunting there during normal firearms season cleaned up pretty well too with everybody filling their tags. I've only done the regular firearms season down there once because of the cost (225 for non resident). I'd love to go back again... there are some awesome bucks around there. I found a nice 5 point shed while I was out there for antlerless and I'd love to go back and get the rest of that deer. :-)

jmstevens2
December 4, 2011, 01:32 AM
Got a nice doe today at about 150 yards. I love my Knight Bighorn .50 cal muzzle loader. That was a nothing shot for it.

jbkebert
December 4, 2011, 10:54 PM
Just got back in the house. My youngest son Caleb got his first deer tonight. A nice little 4 point at 39 yards. Shooting a .243 win

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jbkebert/calebsbuck006.jpg

WayBeau
December 4, 2011, 11:09 PM
Shot an old doe yesterday morning. I had barely gotten the bottom platform of my Summit Viper on the tree when I heard the footsteps. Luckily, I hadn't unloaded for the climb yet. There were enough trees between us that I was able to get my rifle up. She had me pegged at 20 yards but didn't know what she was looking at. When she started quartering away, she got a 150gr. Core-lokt behind the shoulder.

Didn't weigh her, but I'd bet she was at least close to 100lbs. dressed.

Meat in the freezer.:D

TexasPatriot.308
December 4, 2011, 11:21 PM
got one 900 acre lease I hunt regular, loaded with hogs and deer, kill every hog I see, if I kill a deer it will ruin my beer drinkin and may have to go home to process it so, I drink my beer, enjoy my campfire, slay hogs by the dozen, sleep if I want to, enjoy life. nobody says you got to hunt, especially dawn and dusk, have killed some of my best deer in the middle of the day. life is good.

Big Bad Bob
December 5, 2011, 10:27 AM
Shot this guy friday night in the swamp, 162lbs, no natural brow tines. 44 magnum at 65 yards.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/384557_2804999367975_1348377710_3162127_145451838_n.jpg

AMG04
December 5, 2011, 01:30 PM
Pulled this from my game camera this weekend. :D

Cob
December 5, 2011, 01:43 PM
1 archery miss; mature Doe - Little River Wildlife Management Area; FL - Oct. 12
1 archery mishap; 7 point Buck - Little River Wildlife Management Area; FL - Oct. 12 (due to bad angle, could not get to full draw...deer was running wide open, came with 10 yards, but behind me... The deer had been spooked by another hunter, and never slowed down)
1 rifle miss; Bull Elk; -GMU 78, South San Juan Wilderness Area; CO - Oct. 21 ( split meat with another fellow hunter, so did not return home "empty handed"
1 assist; 3 point buck- helped a fellow hunter drag his deer back to truck - Steinhatchee Springs WMA; FL - Nov. 6

1 rifle harvest - Small buck, Private land - Suwannee County, FL, Nov. 23rd,
2 shotgun harvests- squirrels; Private land - Suwannee County, FL, Nov. 25th, (hunting w small son)

Yet to Come; Annual MS/AL whitetail hunt - Dec. 26 - Jan 2nd

MCgunner
December 5, 2011, 03:07 PM
One old over the hill 5 point with a scrawny rack shot early on. I've had a 9 or 10 point with good spread (5 on one side) at my feeder in my camera pix, but haven't seen him in a while, just mostly does. Figure a neighbor might have gotten him. No acorns, feed is attracting and fattening the hogs. I'm butchering a nice sized boar I caught in the trap the other day. Just took a break because my fingers had gone numb from the cold meat. :D Going duck hunting this weekend, open of the second split. I've been so after that 10 point I've been neglecting my fav sport, waterfowl. :D

elkdomBC
December 5, 2011, 03:26 PM
as of Nov 30 our WT season is over,

as of Nov 18, 2011, my WT season ended with this 5x4 WT Buck,

6.5x55 Swede, 1905 Carl Gustaf Mauser,
one shot, 140 Grn Hornady BTHP hand-load at 280 meters in an open snow covered field, near dusk, temp minus 25 Celsius

bang-flop!

baylorattorney
December 6, 2011, 11:27 PM
Shot this guy friday night in the swamp, 162lbs, no natural brow tines. 44 magnum at 65 yards.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/384557_2804999367975_1348377710_3162127_145451838_n.jpg

Nice shot!

Mark, esquire

BBQLS1
December 7, 2011, 10:35 AM
I see deer just about every time I go out. The only problem is that they've been small does, button bucks, antlers that weren't big enough or it was too dark to tell the difference between a button buck or a nice doe!!!!!!

Unfortunately, I hurt my ankle pretty bad a few weeks ago and haven't been able to walk as much as I'd like and get down into the bottoms where I need to go. As a result we had an 11 year old get a nice 10 point and his sister get a nice 8 point. :o

Well, the rut is comming. :D

kyle1974
December 7, 2011, 11:50 AM
I whacked a cull buck over the weekend.... starting to pick up in south texas. big boys are moving now, just have to get one inside 30 yards

KSgunnut
December 7, 2011, 01:28 PM
Well I filled both of my tags on the opening morning of the Kansas rifle season. Kind of bittersweet. I could not be happier with the deer I shot, but it is a really bummer that my season ended so early.

baylorattorney
December 8, 2011, 09:53 PM
Another very healthy and very fat 8point buck. A shot in near dark!

Mark, esquire

Joe Vaquero
December 9, 2011, 02:20 PM
Skunked so far... I've seen several does, buy I'm holding out for my first buck...

Doug S
December 9, 2011, 06:38 PM
Added a decent doe to the freezer today. Dressed out at 110lbs. That's two shots, two deer, both tags now full. Not bad for a guy who hasn't hunted in 16yrs. Shot was a little high on this one, but it still did its job.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/dmattaponi/2011Doe.jpg

bigrico92
December 10, 2011, 02:19 PM
so far for me ive just been seeing small doe not worth taking, nothing for me yet... :cuss: :cuss:

boogity8k
December 10, 2011, 09:26 PM
Broke my foot so no hunting at all this year.

parker51
December 11, 2011, 12:54 AM
Only hunted one day, saw 4 does and was hunting buck only county. In the middle of moving back to WV so hopefully I will get one more day with either bow or muzzleloader before the season ends.

AK Gun Man 88
December 11, 2011, 01:36 AM
Well didn't get one this year. Forgive me for posting in the Whitetail section (Only Sitka Black Tail on this island). Everytime I went out I didn't even see one. But now that the season is over, I see them sitting right in front yard. :cuss:

countertop
December 11, 2011, 02:35 AM
Have two deer so far - a small doe and a decent (body) sized 4 pointer. Both with rifle. I coughed early on in the season as a big 8 pointer was walking up to me (turns out, a month later, I find out I have a severe respiratory infection). And had my muzzleloader misfire on a 6 pointer.

4 more to go. Will shoot just does, unless some trophy comes along.

DLEJones
December 11, 2011, 03:41 AM
Nothing yet. I had a knee replaced and still am on a cane. I hope to hobble up to my stand in 1/7 for black powder.

moconfed
December 11, 2011, 11:42 AM
Saw more deer this year than in the last 6 seasons, and shot my 15 pointer sunday of opening weekend!

Shanghai McCoy
December 11, 2011, 01:49 PM
Still nada...

northalta
December 18, 2011, 06:00 PM
Very succesful in Northern Alberta didn't have sharpen a knife or explain to son why i missed. Nothing to shoot,seen quite a few medium sized bucks but nothing worth taking. Lots off moose and elk running around and did shoot a coyote today. Two days left to shoot elk.

MCgunner
December 18, 2011, 06:06 PM
Well I filled both of my tags on the opening morning of the Kansas rifle season. Kind of bittersweet. I could not be happier with the deer I shot, but it is a really bummer that my season ended so early.

What, they don't have legal game birds in Kansas? Killing deer early is a GOOD thing for me, means I can concentrate on duck hunting without the loss of freezer meat. :D I'd far rather spend a morning in the marsh, personally.

me&my2boys
December 19, 2011, 04:45 PM
Youngest son filled all three tags, Oldest boy got a 175 pound doe with two tags left and I had a "luck" miss on an 8-point that dropped the doe next to him with two tags left for extended season.

jdmudcat
December 19, 2011, 05:03 PM
7 pt with a muzzleloader and 8 pt with a rifle. Still got 4 doe tags.
We have shot 5 hogs this year.

JD

Speedy1
December 21, 2011, 01:00 PM
I've been 15+ times for 3-4 hours each time. Saw around 25 of them (3 bucks). Only a couple within shooting range (crossbow). I'll get one this year!

countertop
December 22, 2011, 02:12 AM
I passed on a 10 pointer the other night (he was browsing amongst farm equipment - he's learned wisely that the $500,000 John Deer Combine behind him costs to much for yahoos like me to shoot at him). Ended up taking a last light 3 pointer at 100 yards that I thought was a doe. I also have a 5 pointer at 245 yards and a doe at 60 yards. 3 more tags to fill (2 does and 1 buck).

baylorattorney
December 22, 2011, 02:59 AM
Today is going to be my day!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=27.354762,-98.158254
Mark, esquire

baylorattorney
December 24, 2011, 04:12 PM
Got an old nine point today who was all battle scarred and wary. Never seen this buck bf live or on game cams, he never came to a feeder and didn't have a kernel of corn in his belly tho we feed several tons. His belly was full of cactus and other leaves. He was a pure deep brush buck whose only fault was chasing a doe during the second rut. He was quite old. Now he's at peace. .270 wcf weatherby vanguard at 230 yards, buck travelled 10 feet and was DOA. THANK YOU.

Mark, esquire

ADKWOODSMAN
December 24, 2011, 04:25 PM
Here in the adirondacks of northern NY it was the second warmest year on record. Our camp hunted from Oct 14, the start of Muzzle to Dec. 4, the close of rifle and killed 2 total deer for 10 serious hunters. Four racked bucks were missed and on the 2nd. of Dec we took 2 spikes for camp meat. The ground rarely froze and only a skiff of snow three other days. I should have trapped furbearers instead. As an after thought we shot 3 coyotes.

CSA 357
December 25, 2011, 11:15 AM
got a small 8 pt 13 inch spread, but it has been some good eating! still looking for big daddy!

HOOfan_1
December 25, 2011, 11:33 AM
Got my first deer in 11 years yesterday. Nice 9 point buck (160-180 pounds). First I've ever taken with a scoped rifle (230-250 yards).

I'll post more about it tomorrow, or later tonight.

My job(s) for the past 10 years have really limited my hunting time, but after I got laid off in 2010 I was out in the field A TON last year and got absolutely nothing, and saw nothing but does for which I had no good shot. This year I've been out a total of 4 times, I was sitting on my stand for 30 minutes before this sucker ran out of the woods into the field I was sitting over.

Rembrandt
December 25, 2011, 02:22 PM
It's been a tough hunting year.....weird weather and rut activity. Hunting in pouring rain one day then 10" of snow the next. Got this one with bow, girth measurement puts him at 325 lbs live weight. Not the biggest rack, but he had plenty of "beef" on the bone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Wildlife/IMG_0621.jpg?t=1324676413

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Wildlife/IMG_0623.jpg?t=1324676594

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Wildlife/IMG_0625.jpg?t=1324676812

CSA 357
December 25, 2011, 03:47 PM
man thats a brute! good job

baylorattorney
December 25, 2011, 05:07 PM
WARNING^^^^^^^^^^^^MONSTER BUCK ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

REMBRANDT, Good shot man! 325 lbs!!! an artist alright, with a rifle, BOW I mean to say!

Mark, esquire

baylorattorney
December 25, 2011, 05:09 PM
Got my first deer in 11 years yesterday. Nice 9 point buck (160-180 pounds). First I've ever taken with a scoped rifle (230-250 yards).

I'll post more about it tomorrow, or later tonight.

My job(s) for the past 10 years have really limited my hunting time, but after I got laid off in 2010 I was out in the field A TON last year and got absolutely nothing, and saw nothing but does for which I had no good shot. This year I've been out a total of 4 times, I was sitting on my stand for 30 minutes before this sucker ran out of the woods into the field I was sitting over.

Where you at hoof?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=27.354762,-98.158254
Mark, esquire

HOOfan_1
December 25, 2011, 09:31 PM
Where you at hoof?

Killed him in Powhatan County Virginia.

Not a monster buck my any stretch of the imagination, but considering I've been deer hunting for 23 years and have only killed 4, 3 of which were bucks (no I am not a prolific hunter) he is a pretty good one in my eyes. I am taking his head to a taxidermist tomorrow to see if it is worth mounting. I killed an 8 pointer who was smaller in body, but had a larger spread when I was 14, but didn't have the money to mount it. With an 11 year drought, who knows if I will ever kill one this nice again. Also shot him with a Remington 700 BDL passed down to me by my grandfather. As far as I know it is the first deer that gun has killed

The inside spread of the one I killed yesterday is nothing special, but his rack is tall, seems to shoot up right out of his head. He has a pair of brow tines, one the first branch off the main trunk on both sides, it has the main tines for that branch as well as reverse tines pointing off the back of that branch. Then on his right side, the main truck branches off for two more tines, on the left it doesn't branch.

http://i44.tinypic.com/zsvlzt.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/b7nqc4.jpg

.45Guy
December 26, 2011, 05:23 AM
Nothing yet. However, my best friend got a nice sized doe out of my stand.

CollinLeon
December 26, 2011, 05:39 AM
Saw 5 deer along my backyard fence this evening... If I had wanted to harvest one, all I would have had to do is stand out there with a baseball bat... No challenge...

newfalguy101
December 26, 2011, 11:18 PM
Saw 5 or six this morning.....didnt bring any home with me though.

Hopefully, and with MORE patience on my part, Saturday will be the day

CollinLeon
December 27, 2011, 02:03 AM
Saw 5 or six this morning.....didnt bring any home with me though.

Hopefully, and with MORE patience on my part, Saturday will be the day
I think that the type of deer that you have up there is a larger species than we see down here in my part of Texas... I was in Iowa a few years back flying my plane around some of the rural areas somewhat low and saw a few deer grazing... They definitely looked a lot larger than the ones I see around here... Must be all that corn they are feeding on...

newfalguy101
December 27, 2011, 07:33 PM
I dont know about being a differet species, I understand that they do indeed get a tad bigger in this part of the world, however, for the real monsters, you gotta head even further North

Lincoln4
December 27, 2011, 08:14 PM
One of "those" years. Hunted hard with no luck. My daughter got a nice 8 point white tail during the "family hunt". My three buddies got white tails at "man-camp", including the two biggest 10 pts in the last 13 years. Me, I couldn't quite get a decent 8 pt in the crosshairs. Next year...:)

HOOfan_1
December 27, 2011, 11:42 PM
I dont know about being a differet species, I understand that they do indeed get a tad bigger in this part of the world, however, for the real monsters, you gotta head even further North

same species, Odocoileus virginianus different sub-species though. There are about 40 subspecies from Canada to South America. Canada (Alberta) is where the real monsters live. Even in Virginia the farther West you go, the bigger the deer get body wise, the racks seem to stay the same size no matter the body size. The Mule deer is the only other species of that genus (blacktail deer are considered Mule Deer)

CollinLeon
December 28, 2011, 02:47 AM
same species, Odocoileus virginianus different sub-species though. There are about 40 subspecies from Canada to South America. Canada (Alberta) is where the real monsters live. Even in Virginia the farther West you go, the bigger the deer get body wise, the racks seem to stay the same size no matter the body size. The Mule deer is the only other species of that genus (blacktail deer are considered Mule Deer)
Well, the one thing I can say about all the does that walk along my backyard fence area is that they are larger than the key deer down in the Florida Keys... Just about as tame too...

Loyalist Dave
December 28, 2011, 09:24 AM
Here in Suburban Maryland it has gone well. This Saturday is my last day, as I don't use a bow, but we have one last "weekend" on January 7th & 8th. I got my second doe yesterday, with a 45 yard shot, offhand, with my .54 flinter. We have one other hunter out here on the vineyard who is an Iraq War DAV and loves that crossbow..., he should..., he took three this year. :D Good for him!

LD

PonyKiller
December 28, 2011, 10:20 PM
Off to a rocky start for me. first time hunting though. Opening day was pea soup fog, and a fella sunk up to his tailgate in a puddle on the only passable way into the woods. As the fog wained i saw one doe but heard shots all around. came back in the afternoon got in with the truck so no three quarter mile hike. I had a doe pass within ten feet of me, watched her walk from about fifty yds behind me to off into a thicket well out in front of me, later one other doe off in the distance. The second day was dodging rain drops, saw one buck way off in the distance, 250yds plus through a cut in the trees. hard to make out exactly but was at least a four pointer. Then the rain came and washed me out the next day. waiting on the January shot gun season. Almost a month long. can shoot a buck or does. hopefully my luck will turn better in the pine barrens in january!

heeler
December 28, 2011, 10:30 PM
I hunt on a very buck restricted ranch in south Texas so no trophy but I did get a nice fat spike and did eliminate six hogs this season so all in all I am a happy hunter.

Edit to add....Rembrant,that's a helluva buck!!

PonyKiller
December 28, 2011, 11:28 PM
BTW that is one monster buck. if you added all the jersey deer i've seen up it may be equal. our deer are long legged german sheppard size.

BlackSky
December 29, 2011, 03:30 PM
I shot this doe 2nd day of the season in Southern Ohio. Lot's of meat in the freezer now. :) I never did see a buck to pull the trigger on, oh well.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2716/dsc06838x.jpg

BlackSky
December 29, 2011, 03:34 PM
My buddy shot this buck on the same property on the day before the season end. I won the trophy for the smallest of our party and my buddy won the trophy for the biggest LOL.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/2168/38176025900654242521033.jpg

7mmstalker
December 30, 2011, 03:51 AM
Didn't fire a shot this year! However I have much to be proud of, wife got a nice fat blacktail doe first day of winter season, son tagged a nice whitetail on his first year of hunting.

newfalguy101
December 31, 2011, 12:22 PM
The Swiss Miss didnt...

Didnt miss that is!!

Switched from the SKS to my K-31 as I was tired of missing.

Took a small doe this morning.

One of the few times the deer I have hit dropped and didnt run.

Meat in the freezer :)

Big Bad Bob
December 31, 2011, 03:12 PM
Well season is over for me....1 nice buck (posted on page 2) several does. Not bad since I missed all last year due to being in afghanistan.

On to turkey season! 3 months of waiting and prepping for it

baylorattorney
January 7, 2012, 05:42 PM
Still on here until the 15th, then doe and spikes until end of January. Look what my neighbor got:)

Guillermo
January 7, 2012, 07:20 PM
2 doe and a big buck.

I would not have shot him but his rack was messed up on one side.

Had already picked out a nice fat doe when he came in. Thought it was an abnormal rack so I popped him. Sadly after I got to him I saw that it was broken, not grown that way. Wish I had left that big boy to improve the herd.

Another week so maybe that porky doe will come back.

27hand
January 7, 2012, 08:50 PM
I got my first deer (doe) in 2 years since having a hand crush injury 19 months ago.
It is the extended season and I'm in a special regulations area that limits firearms to shotgun or muzzleloader only for doe and either buck or doe with a bow

One shot with the 20" Ithaca Deerslayer using Rem copper solids at about 50 yds. We guessed it to be about 125 or a little better ( avg deer for this area).

I was hesitant to hunt knowing I might have to clean a deer mostly left handed.

Luckily, 4 guys were pushing the area with muzzleloaders. 3 were friends of mine and they cleaned the deer and drug it back to my truck. That was just cool. I would have been there a long time by myself.

Nice buck pics from you guys

HOOfan_1
January 8, 2012, 12:22 AM
Last day in Virginia. I was sitting at the edge of some woods near the crest of a gentle rise about 900 yards from the James River. Could see trains going by on the opposite bank all day. When one wen by I looked down into the field and saw movement. I was pretty sure then it was deer. I knew it was not human or dog, so I crank my scope up to 9x and look down there. At first they were moving so slow and in some tall grass, due to shadowing at first I thought they were turkeys but then I saw them start running flat out and counted about 6 deer. They were so far away I couldn't even really make out their heads...they were so small in my scope I could probably fit the entire body of a deer in the thin portion of my duplex reticle. They were 700 yards away if they were an inch. I don't see how anyone could make a shot on anything smaller than 6 feet in diameter at 700 yards with only 9x.

http://i40.tinypic.com/16hrcqp.jpg

Rembrandt
January 9, 2012, 08:40 PM
This is the last.....no more hunting till next Fall. Started trophy hunting early on and finished by filling tags for meat, 5 more doe's in the freezer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Wildlife/132.jpg?t=1326075340

PonyKiller
January 11, 2012, 10:15 PM
just starting the permit shotgun season in our area of jersey. was out all last saturday, six til five. saw no deer at all, but watched to turkeys fight for three strait hours! still have three more saturdays to go.

Win73
January 14, 2012, 01:54 AM
Just killed my fourth of the season today, a doe. So far I have killed two bucks and two does. The season runs to the end of January with a limit of two a day, one of which can be a buck. However there is a three buck season limit. So I can legally kill only one more buck.

86250rrippin
January 18, 2012, 07:36 PM
shot 2, buck and a doe. still have till jan 28 to fill 2 more doe tags.......

LTE
January 18, 2012, 09:26 PM
Lost the lease about 3 weeks before the start of season. I'm looking for a place for 2012 now.

CollinLeon
January 18, 2012, 11:46 PM
shot 2, buck and a doe. still have till jan 28 to fill 2 more doe tags.......
If you posted in your profile where you were, you might have some people like me who would give you a couple extra tags in case you need them. I only have a hunting license so I can shoot hogs. I don't even bother with the small does that I see all around here.

86250rrippin
January 19, 2012, 01:25 AM
thanks, im still eatin off these two here. i have two tags left to fill. just got to get out and get em. i like the venison, not too concerned about the antlers anymore. i got a 6 point this year, its all good...................

pwillie
January 19, 2012, 08:58 AM
Hunted 14th 15th and 16th.....last afternoon on a field that was 657 yds one way and 497 yds the other...yes,the doe's were @ 455 and 630 yds! Well I cranked it up to 24 power,and laid the forearm on the shooting house window ledge.....Bang!.....Bang!....Bang!....Bang!......Bang!....never cut a feather!I had changed the scope mount,and had not shot it in other than a hundred yds.My other rifle is set up for up to 300yds,so no venison for me,I'll just have to eat shrimp and oysters as well as grilled yellow fin tuna......

PonyKiller
January 30, 2012, 09:18 PM
Season ended here saturday. passed on a small doe in the morning. got busted by a deer right at sundown that walked right up behind me from down wind. Got within twenty feet of me before it spooked. It charged off a ways and then stopped after a few minutes of silence i slowly turned. looked for about twenty minutes till the fading light chased me out. For the season total of seeing two bucks, and five does in the pine barrens of jersey. Never even took the saftey off.

If you enjoyed reading about "How is everybody's white-tailed deer season going?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!