How dangerous are assault weapons??

PDA

Desertdog
January 28, 2003, 05:40 PM
In the pro-gun mind the answera is a resounding NO! On the other hand, to the anti-gun people the answer is a resounding YES!

To illustrate that the guns are safe and they do not turn the people holding thing into senseless killers, I would like to point out to all who think it does, (the gun causes crime crowd) that there is maybe 200,000+ military personnel armed with assault weapons and other dangerous weapons, over in the Middle East, but we hear of very few, if any, illegal use of their weapons.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "How dangerous are assault weapons??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
illuminatus99
January 28, 2003, 05:58 PM
my assault weapon is pretty dangerous, it's got some trigger slap so my finger gets sore when I shoot it. that and I almost burned my hand on the barrel.

Kharn
January 28, 2003, 06:11 PM
Mine keep making this annoing *SPRONG!* noise when I shoot it, I'm sure its bad for my teeth. And as illuminatus99 already stated, the barrels get hot enough to hurt.

Kharn

Erik Jensen
January 28, 2003, 06:14 PM
:-( I can't get an assault weapon here in michigan.. no full auto unless you have an FFL. and, as we all know, semi-auto only does not an assault weapon make.

I need to move to vermont or arizona or something.. I wants me a tommy gun!!

BerettaNut92
January 28, 2003, 06:17 PM
Very.

If they weren't, I'd return it as defective.

4v50 Gary
January 28, 2003, 06:18 PM
Mine are very dangerous. There's so much grease in them that anybody trying to shoot them without cleaning them first can damage them and possibly hurt themselves. Thankfully they're locked up where no one can reach them.

Dannyboy
January 28, 2003, 06:18 PM
The military doesn't count because those are all highly trained individuals and they are "supposed" to have them. They "need" assault weapons.

45R
January 28, 2003, 06:39 PM
All my toys are dangerous if your looking down the barrel of one :eek:

Kobun
January 28, 2003, 06:51 PM
I still urge you to not call them assult weapons. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3122)
There are better names out there.
K.

Quartus
January 28, 2003, 07:10 PM
I agree. And don't call them assault weapons, either!

;)

benewton
January 28, 2003, 07:17 PM
Don't need no stinking assault weapons.

When pushed, I'm an assault PERSON.

Ant that's the worst enemy you can obtain.

cheygriz
January 28, 2003, 07:18 PM
How many times must I remind you!!!!!

They're not assault weapons!

They're ******Homeland Defense Weapons.*******

Now go to your room!

Guyon
January 28, 2003, 07:22 PM
they're black like darth vader. they have to be both evil and dangerous.

please call them "color-challenged projectile systems" in the future.

i'm boycotting capital letters today. tomorrow, i'm boycotting all punctuation. gotta keep you folks on your toes.

waterdog
January 28, 2003, 07:43 PM
Any mechanical device is dangerous, sometimes to the user, and sometimes to those whom it might be used on.

I can't recall how many times I have heard of people cutting their fingers off with a table saw.

Or someone running themselves over with their own vehicle.

Firearms are just another mechanical device that have a very high capability of inflicting serious injury.

Ignorant and ego driven people, are more dangerous than any mechanical device.

We are, our own worst enemy.

IMHO

waterdog

CAP
January 28, 2003, 08:42 PM
It's not the gun that is dangerous. It's the individual holding it that determines whether or not it is 'dangerous'.

Autolite
January 28, 2003, 09:16 PM
I once caught that flap of skin between your thumb and forefinger in the stock fulcrum of my mini14 folder. Don't laugh, it could have been fatal you know ...

Sarge111
January 28, 2003, 09:30 PM
as educated idiots twisting the English language into a noose around the Bill of Rights.

BerettaNut92
January 28, 2003, 09:43 PM
Dangerous...but once you replace that flash suppressor with a muzzle brake...perfectly safe! :D

makdaddy03
January 28, 2003, 09:50 PM
Most socalled assault rifles are just mean looking semi-autos thats it.
Guns are only as dangerous as the person handling and using them.

Monte Harrison
January 29, 2003, 09:32 AM
if I am trying to close the bolt on an empty chamber. If you aren't careful, it will put a nasty bruise under your thumbnail!

Other than that, it, or any other gun, is exactly as dangerous as I make it.

foghornl
January 29, 2003, 09:41 AM
They're ******Homeland Defense Weapons.*******

I have always believed that my Weapons are for the Defense of My Home and Land...

Therefore HomeLand Defense Weapons.

Any Questions ?

[In my best Ben Stein voice] "...Anyone....Anyone... ? ? ?

Sam Adams
January 29, 2003, 10:37 AM
Any material object made of metal, wood and/or plastic is, in and of itself, totally inert. It has no volition of its own, no ability to pick itself up and hurt any living thing.

If used correctly (or incorrectly, depending on circumstances and your perspective), any such object can be used as a weapon - so I guess that makes a firearm dangerous. Hell, even rocks are dangerous, and so are pencils (according to G. Gordon Liddy - John Dean is lucky that G. Gordo is so restrained).

As for calling semi-automatic rifles "assault rifles" - DON'T! He who defines the terms of the debate has already won it. We pro-RKBA folks will lose if we attempt to curry favor for "assault rifles." Call it a semi-automatic, a self-loading firearm, or a Homeland Defense rifle, or just a rifle - that's what it is. Any time someone you are debating uses the term "assault rifle" you should be quick to point out that to be one, a rifle must be capable of fully automatic fire (i.e. a machine gun, per federal law), and that you are talking about something that only looks like the full auto version. Remind him or her of what most people learn as young children - don't judge a book by its cover.

10-Ring
January 29, 2003, 10:41 AM
Pretty dangerous, even the wallet takes a hard hit!

MonkeyMan
January 29, 2003, 11:00 AM
According to Merriam-Webster, assault is either a noun or a verb, not an adjective. As my dad says, "the only problem with cars is the nut that holds the wheel". Same for firearms.

Stay safe.

Kahr carrier
January 29, 2003, 08:50 PM
There not,Some of the people are that own them.:neener:

twoblink
January 29, 2003, 10:37 PM
Depends..

If it is laying on the table, and nobody is touching it, it's slightly less dangerous then the piece of moldy bread next to it.

I have however, been bit (and bled) by my friend's "evil looking black rifles" quite a few times when racking it and not paying attention..

Assault is a verb to describe actions taken by someone; not a color you assign to a weapon...

Read my signature...

Drjones
January 29, 2003, 11:00 PM
What is an "assault weapon"?

I honestly don't know.

Funny....neither does the govt. :rolleyes:

Well, whatever they are, they are clearly FAR more dangerous than those HORRIBLY AWFUL fully automatic machinieamaguns.

As of 1995, there were 120,000 automatic weapons registered with the BATF in civilian hands.

Since 1934, there have been TWO (yes, 2) crimes committed with *legally owned* automatic weapons.

The two crimes were committed by cops.:rolleyes:

TexasVet
January 29, 2003, 11:21 PM
My liberal brother in law (I have one of each:D ) saw my AK clone and asked me what I needed that "dangerous" gun for. I replied "You think THAT'S dangerous? I'll give it to you with 5 loaded 30 round mags. You start from one end of my 6 acres and I'll be waiting for you with my 30-06 with the 4-16 scope and 5 cartridges somewhere past the middle. We'll see which is more dangerous." He declined.

(note: this took about 10 minutes to type. I played with power tools this morning and spent the afternoon playing with doctors and stitches!:rolleyes: )

larry_minn
January 30, 2003, 12:26 AM
They can be deadly. Almost as dangerous as a lead pipe. I would think getting hit by a AR-15 would hurt. A SKS might kill you if the person swinging it makes a good connection.

Drjones
January 30, 2003, 12:44 AM
They can be deadly. Almost as dangerous as a lead pipe. I would think getting hit by a AR-15 would hurt. A SKS might kill you if the person swinging it makes a good connection.
Just make sure its unloaded and totally empty before you do that.

At least two guys have killed themselves by using shotguns as clubs: One was bashing the windshield of his girlfriends' car, the other was beating a dog with his shotgun.

They both died from the stomach wounds.

If you're doing anything like the activities described above, please make sure the gun IS loaded. :fire:

Travis McGee
January 30, 2003, 01:19 AM
Come on, let's call them by their rightful nomenclature:

** SPORT UTILITY RIFLES!! **

Travis McGee
January 30, 2003, 01:21 AM
TexasVet:

Ya still got ten fingers and a nose?

12.7x99mm
January 30, 2003, 03:32 AM
how dangerous is my rem700pss 300winmag scoped with a springfield 6x20?

:scrutiny:

Bainx
January 30, 2003, 07:15 AM
could be very dangerous. For example, when getting one down off the wall rack, it could fall thus hitting you in the head!

Yes, potentially very dangerous.

If you enjoyed reading about "How dangerous are assault weapons??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!