Cheap Tricks

PDA

God
January 28, 2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by griz in the "Are gun owners just plain cheap? " post/poll:

...This makes me want to start a thread: Tips and tricks to save money so I can buy more cheap ammo!

Well, if you don't I will... :D
At first it seemed like a joke, but I'll admit it - there were several pretty good (read: CHEAP!) ideas in there that I'd never heard of before.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap Tricks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TallPine
January 28, 2003, 06:00 PM
Hi God, welcome to the High Road.

I always knew God was on our side. :D

(you are on our side, aren't you ...?)

God
January 28, 2003, 06:12 PM
Of course TallPine...

---

One that nobody mentioned is spray-paint cans. A local hobby shop saves the returned ones for me (Don't do it close-up though - it's not safe, OR cheap!).

BerettaNut92
January 28, 2003, 06:24 PM
1. I fill up gas around half tank so I don't frantically scurry around when it gets low--this lets me go to the cheapest station I happen to pass by. Saves me about $5-10 a month. That's a 1/3 tank right there! And, if the gas stations go out for whatever reason, I can tool around a little longer than most.

2. Don't eat out except for social occasions. If you must eat socially, offer the idea of a potluck instead.

3. Don't drink anything but water. Find free coffee at work if you must. Get lots of bottles of water, date them when you open them. Keep 'em for about a week or two, then toss them when they start to smell. Have water with you at all times so you don't have to buy liquid elsewhere.

4. Don't watch movies at the theater unless you must. This saves you money and keeps money out of the leftists' pockets.

5. Wash your own car.

6. Cut your own hair. The buzz cut is kinda trendy, at least out here. Take advantage of it.

7. If you don't own your own laundry machine, phase out your white clothes so you only have to do one wash.

El Tejon
January 28, 2003, 06:30 PM
Oh, man, God's a Hoosier. Better start churching up around the office. Well, I did play basketball on Sunday, but failed to play a single hand of euchre.

All kinds of ideas. Just hang around and keep a note pad handy.

Ian
January 28, 2003, 06:31 PM
6a. DON'T cut your hair! :)

Reloading my own ammo is a critical to my shooting habit. Man, does that save some money.

Woodchuck
January 28, 2003, 06:52 PM
1.Cut your own hair in between professional haircuts. You can stretch out another 4 to 6 weeks between.
2. Change your own oil on your car. Only buy filters and oil when on sale or with rebates. Same with air filters. Change them once a year. A dirty air filter can cause your car to burn 20 percent more fuel than necessary. Keep your tires fully inflated to your car's specs. If your tires are 10 pounds low it will burn up to 10 percent more gas. Your tires lose pressure as the temp. drops. About one pound for every 10 degrees F. If you haven't checked your tires since fall, you're wasting gas. Buy a small electronic keychain tire guage for $1.99 and keep it in the car.
3. Buy a new electronic programmable thermostat for about $25. Lux@ 500 or a honeywell@ I just saw on sale at Menards for $20. They aren't hard to change. All you need is a small screwdriver. The thermostat wiring in your house is color coded and so is the thermostat. It's a snap. It will save that much in the first 6 months in fuel. Set temp. back to 62 deg. at night and 60 during the days while away from home .You can save up to 10 percent easily. Once it's paid for it saves you money forever. If your furnace filter is clogged, it will waste up to 35 percent on your fuel bill. Furnace filters should be changed every 3 months. Keep your windows and doors shut in the winter. If you need fresh air go outside. The air in a normal house gets changed more than once a day anyway by leakage of windows, cracks and when you go in and out.

Art Eatman
January 28, 2003, 07:01 PM
Set your water heater where you can just tolerate "full hot" on your little ol' dish-washin' hands.

A full refrigerator takes less electricity than one which only has a sixpack or so in it. You can always save milk bottles, filled with water, just to make the critter more full. Great place to keep flashlight batteries, as well.

And these little tips will save even more money for ammo!

El cheapo stores like Dollar General or Big Lots often have tire gages for $0.99, not $1.99...

Tires: Footprint'em for proper tire pressure. Make a chalk line across the tread. Drive a little; stop and look at the wear pattern. Worn in the middle; too high a pressure. Worn on the edges, too low. Proper footprintingg = best traction, particularly in corners. Another method is to check the tire pressures cold, and then again when they're up to operating temperature. The pressure rise should be 8%. If more than 8%, you're too low. If less than 8% too high.

More $ saved = more ammo.

:D, Art

Steve Smith
January 28, 2003, 07:05 PM
How does one learn to cut their own hair? I have clippers already. Since the divorce I've had to go have my hair cut professionally again. This sucks.

Off to get another hair cut...I hope I find a good looking barber chick!

Oh yeah...guns!

Woodchuck
January 28, 2003, 07:13 PM
Art Eatman

Set your water heater where you can just tolerate "full hot" on your little ol' dish-washin' hands.

A full refrigerator takes less electricity than one which only has a sixpack or so in it. You can always save milk bottles, filled with water, just to make the critter more full. Great place to keep flashlight batteries, as well.

And these little tips will save even more money for ammo!

El cheapo stores like Dollar General or Big Lots often have tire gages for $0.99, not $1.99...

The reason I suggested the 1.99 electronic tire guage is because they are accurate to within one pound. The pencil type pocket tire guages are notoriously innaccurate. Ive seen many that are 10 pounds off and most are not within 3 pounds of accurate.

Another tip is to clean the condensor coil on your refrigerator. That's the coil on the back ( or on some models it's underneath) Use a vacuum cleaner. This is a way to reduce your electric bill by a large amount ( 10 to 40 percent) if you've never cleaned yours.

spacemanspiff
January 28, 2003, 07:19 PM
why waste money on toilet paper? if you find the right public restroom there is loads of extra rolls you can take home.

j/k

if you live close enough to work, walk or ride a bike.
keep a loaf of bread and peanut butter on hand at work. cheap lunch.

Woodchuck
January 28, 2003, 07:25 PM
Steve Smith

How does one learn to cut their own hair? I have clippers already. Since the divorce I've had to go have my hair cut professionally again. This sucks.

Off to get another hair cut...I hope I find a good looking barber chick!

If you find a cute chic hair cutter, Watch how she cuts your hair, not what you usually watch. Don't try to use clippers on yourself. You can't. Use a comb and scissors. Stand in front of a full length mirror with your hair in a wet condition. You can cut your top and sides with no problem. The back is the hard part. When you get to the back you need to turn around and use a small hand mirror so you can see what your doing back there. It takes a little bit of practice to do this in a double mirror as every time you want to move one way, you usually move the wrong way. The trick is to give yourself a trim, not a haircut. Concentrate on cutting only about a 1/4 " at a time so you don't get that hacked up look. It is also necessary to have decent scissors. The type that come in a home clipper kit are fine.I guess if you're a CEO or something you can't afford to look bad. So don't try this until you can afford to be on vacation:D

Another tip for a cheap lunch to go with the peanut butter and jelly is to have a chicken or beef bullion cube. It makes a great hot drink for less than a nickel and it's perfect if you are on a diet. Almost no calories. Bullion cubes make a great change of pace if you are a coffee drinker. too. Tea is also a cheap alternative. The polyphenols in tea are great for your health too.

pax
January 28, 2003, 07:27 PM
I cut my kids' and husband's hair. My thoughts on that one?

If you plan to save money cutting hair, plan to spend money buying hats.

At least for the first six months or so...

pax

Hair today, gone tomorrow.

Woodchuck
January 28, 2003, 07:41 PM
Instead of calling this thread cheap tricks, how about FRUGAL TRICKS? I just hate it when someone calls me cheap:D
Especially my wife.

HankL
January 28, 2003, 07:49 PM
I cut my own hair and it saves me $24.00 per year! The style changed from bald on top and shaggy on the sides to bald all over. ;)

Don't mess with Art about tire pressures, he invented the wheel and knows how to true up a stone tire for a wet track.:D

Good advise about keeping bills due to extracting energy from hydrocarbons lower.

Thanks to all for the info.

spacemanspiff
January 28, 2003, 07:51 PM
i use clippers on my own head. its not impossible, just takes a steady hand and humility to go and get it fixed by someone whose job it is to cut hair when you make a mistake.

plus i can shave the nephews heads and save their grandmother some money as well. but the nieces for some reason wont let me cut their hair. buncha ingrates. :D

El Tejon
January 28, 2003, 07:52 PM
Cut your own hair?!?! And miss having the young & nubile run their fingers through your hair at a near campus salon? No way!:D

Don Gwinn
January 28, 2003, 08:01 PM
If you take all the hair off, it doesn't matter how raggedly you do it. If you absolutely must look professional and can't get away with baldness, use an attachment with an even length. Just keep going over it again and again until nothing sticks up.

HankL
January 28, 2003, 08:02 PM
El Tejon, When my favorite barber told me that she counted my hair before she cut any I gave up .
:(

spacemanspiff
January 28, 2003, 08:13 PM
to find a "stylist" that is of sufficient eye candy quality winds up costing me an arm and a leg. i did that for years, going to a top quality place that had decent looking ladies working and getting crappy haircuts.
so when the girl who has been cutting my hair for the last 5 years moved out of state and told me that she was giving all her clients to the mature un-eye candy lady i figured i could save the $30 every month and do it myself. its been nearly six months since i've paid for someone else to cut my hair.

Schuey2002
January 28, 2003, 08:38 PM
Skunkster, you should write a book and title it, How to live in SoCal with only 20K ....:D :neener: :D

Steve Smith
January 29, 2003, 10:31 AM
See, I have to use clippers because I have a "civilianized" high and tight. Gots to be short on the sides. Real short.

10-Ring
January 29, 2003, 10:39 AM
I too am quickly working towards "bald all over!" :fire: But my hat collection is growing :D

bogie
January 29, 2003, 10:57 AM
Well, I've got a set of clippers I use on the beard, and have been considering doing a very short buzz cut - I should just put the guard on and go to town?

Let's see - FIREARM related frugality...

Handload. You won't save money, but you'll get to shoot more.

Dumpster dive at the range for stuff like cartrige box inserts - they make good loading blocks.

The corncob from the pet store does the same thing that the corncob from the gun store does, but isn't labeled "tumbler media." You can make your own label with the money you save.

Buy LOTS of stuff at once if you know you'll eventually use it. Learn to love surplus powder, etc.

Get in shape. Medical bills cost $$, and being fat is untactical.

vi9er
January 29, 2003, 12:20 PM
One good buy I've found is instead of buying GunScrubber, go to your local auto parts store, or wally world, and buy brake cleaner same stuff, brake cleaner 1.99: gunscrubber 8.99
ed

Redlg155
January 29, 2003, 12:39 PM
Biggest thing I've found is to eliminate impulse buying. That includes sodas and other "junk" food. The average person who has a soda machine at their job buys at least 1 soda a day. Looking at $20 a month in just soda. A 20 ounce will cost you over a buck in many places. So if you must have a soda, buy them in bulk and save a bunch.

Consolidate all that extra junk you have around the house and sell it. You would be amazed at what you have. Have a big yard sale and get some bucks or sell it online.

If you watch movies, go to the matinee shows or the cheaper theaters. Our mall movie theater shows them for $1.50. Even cheaper than a video rental.

Getting is shape is a great idea previously mentioned. But then even that has its pitfalls once you really get into working out. Gym memberships, protien powders, hydroxycut, vitamins, glutamine, creatine, flaxseed oil, of course FLEX magazine and a jillion other items will tax your wallet. But then you will look great, so that's a bunus.:D

And the easiest way to get more gun money...spend an equal amount on the wife.

Good Shooting
RED

bogie
January 29, 2003, 01:33 PM
I'm the bachelor from hell.

It's gotten so that for each night I don't go out to eat, and instead cook something myself, I put $10-15 in the bank.

I'm gonna buy a new .357 with it.

vulcan
January 29, 2003, 01:37 PM
1)Reloading (a biggie)

2)I cut my own cleaning patches out of old t shirts

3)use masking tape pasters to extend target life at the range

4)scrounge brass for #1

5)used rice as tumbler media

6)cut off below knee of old fatigue pants to make 2 drawstring pistol storage bags & a pair of tactical shorts.

6)made wooden loading blocks out of scrap plywood

7)homemade pistol shooting rest out of plywood

8)save old toothbrushes for gun cleaning

9)convert a cordless screwdriver with bad nicad batteries(found in trash) into a case trimming/deburring tool powered by a cast off AC adapter.

10)reuse disposable foam earplugs(wash with alcohol))

Steve Smith
January 29, 2003, 02:01 PM
USED rice as tumbler media???!!! :confused: :what:

Kaylee
January 29, 2003, 02:13 PM
hey guys... how about edging this a little closer to gun related, 'kay?

Good as the info is, it's gonna get closed otherwise.

-Kaylee, the moderator from one county over. :p

BerettaNut92
January 29, 2003, 03:32 PM
Don't throw away old clothes--cut them up to use as cleaning patches.

How much is a gym membership? 10-Ring? How about enrolling in hand-to-hand classes instead? You can learn some tactics and get in shape?

bogie
January 29, 2003, 05:37 PM
I spend enough on barrels that dropping an extra $20 on cleaning patches over one's life isn't going to get me upset. Don't get into _false economies_ either. The patches that Sinclair's sells soak up plenty of solvent, are uniform in size and thickness (don't have to worry about one getting stuck), and are clean - won't introduce dirt/crud/abrasives into barrel.

Old clothes does make good "general purpose" rags tho...

Get handy with tools - you can make your own shooting boxes, benches, etc., that way.

Elmer Snerd
January 29, 2003, 05:56 PM
http://www.thefrugalshopper.com/
http://www.thefrugalshopper.com/living.html

cheaperthandirt.com ammo (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/mixeddept.asp?dept%5Fid=2&dept%5Fname=Ammunition&mscssid=EP33SR1GXFSL9MBP3BV3L8G628UV17UD)

http://www.bulkammo.com/
http://www.bargainammo.com/
http://www.reloadingbench.com/
http://www.livingcheap.com/

vulcan
January 29, 2003, 05:57 PM
Oh, 1 more,I saved on Christmas presents by making steel knock down targets for some shooting friends . I found steel plates at a construction site that I torched cut , welded bases, & painted. They liked the clown & mickey mouse silhouette the best:D They got a bigger kick out of it than if I went for a store bought gift.

biere
January 29, 2003, 06:00 PM
Watch the for sale sections closely. I have gotten a lot of magazines and gun accessories doing that, like used holsters to try out and what not.

I do final barrel cleaning with "real" store bought patches. But for general scrubbing and cleaning anything will work in many cases.

Instead of getting gun blankets or whatever they are called I used an old sweatshirt or sweat pants and made pouches. Not as padded, but then I just use them when sticking everything in the safe so nothing rubs against the other stuff.

Reloading pays off in many calibers within a case or two, this includes the press and dies and everything for me with 44 magnum.

Put stuff up in the for sale section for trade. I have gotten stuff I often wondered about but did not want to pay for this way. Some was worthless, some was blah, and some things I consider almost worth buying new if needed.

Taking great care of what you have pays off if you have to sell it. It also helps in keeping major cleaning jobs down to several small ones.

Researching things before doing them is great, that is half the reason I come to sights like this. I learn what to look for or how to avoid problems with low expense.

For frugal lifestyle stuff, drop me an email or just run a search. There are books and sights all over the net about that subject and they go way beyond what many would consider acceptable so you will usually find your level of austerity.

Kevlarman
January 29, 2003, 06:32 PM
Check out misc.comsumers.frugal-living for even more great tips!

thumbtack
January 29, 2003, 07:20 PM
Don't get married and have kids. They will suck up your gun money. ;)

bogie
January 30, 2003, 10:57 AM
Oh yeah...

Buy the best, and cry once.

Get what you really want. If you don't have the cash, wait and save. If you want a Kimber, don't settle for a Jennings.

Don't abuse your equipment. A few bucks spent on bore guides and one-piece cleaning rods may keep you from spending $400 on having a rifle rebarreled...

PATH
January 30, 2003, 11:14 AM
Get your C&R and buy direct from the dealer.

Scrounge through the range bucket for brass.

Bulk up and shoot lots of .22. Wally world has it really cheap.

Surf the nets for ammo "sales"!

Sometimes a used holster, which is already broken in, works just as well as a new one.

Garage sales sometimes yield shooting treasure of immeasurable value!

Carpool to the range.

Well those are just some ways to save money. Lo and behold I believe they are all firearms related!

JamisJockey
January 30, 2003, 11:34 AM
-Get in shape. Medications and med bills cost money. Someone else mentioned it, but I wanted to second it. Also, when you're in good shape, you'll be more interested in cheaper vacation activities, such as camping and hiking. Water comes into the picture here, because you will be fitter by drinking water instead of soda, and its wwwaaaayyyyy cheaper.
-Brown bag your lunch to work. Skip the cafeteria and fast food if you can.
-For errands close to home, walk or ride a bike. Depending on your vehicle, you might consider riding mass transit if available for other errands (I've got an f350...not fun parking it downtown :cuss: )
-Thrift stores often have clothing that is new and nearly new. I've gotten brand name hardly worn clothing for next to nothing. Especially for 'bumming around' clothing, you don't want to go hiking in those eddie bauer pants now, do you?

4v50 Gary
January 30, 2003, 09:36 PM
Brown bagging for lunch is the way to go. For $10, you can buy enough fruit, bread, lunchmeat (or if you're really cheap, peanut butter) to last the week.

I also save gas $ by riding the bicycle. That also saves me $ from not having to join some gym.

Hand me downs. Hated it as a kid. Love it as an adult. The old stuff is range clothing. It may be untactical, but we're talking cheap, remember?

Library. Good source for books and if your library doesn't have it, ask them to get it for you via inter-library loan.

Movies. Saw two last year. Once when I was in Baltimore with nothing to do and the other time when I hooked up with a classmate. Most of the time one of us will rent a CD and a whole bunch of us cheapskates get together to enjoy it.

Date? Be cultured. Take her to a museum on the days they're free. You may find out that she's got education, an appreciation for the arts & science. Beach is free too.

Targets? White sheets of paper. Put one of those color dots on it. Good to go and the paper is free if you yank it out of the recycle bin. After all, it's going back when you're finished.

Malone LaVeigh
January 30, 2003, 10:27 PM
I second the thrift stores. To keep it somewhat gun-related, I bought a Realtree overall last month for $15. They always have lots of military camo for you tactical types. Last weekend I saw a beautiful walnut stock blank at an antiques/rummage store. I have also seen metal cartons and cabinets that could be made into pretty dandy gun cabinets.

Of course, you can also save tons of money on other things so you have more for shooting.

Home projects: I made my garage shelves (that store my tools and archery equipment among other things) out of wood I salvaged from an old platform bed and an old box springs. There's a lot of wood in box springs!

Wood for the wood stove: Construction sites and from neighbors tree trimming back when I had a stove. Collect it all summer and let the summer heat cure it. Nothing like a warm wood fire to sit by and clean guns.

Junk yards: For all of your auto parts needs. Go to the U-pull 'em for lights, reflectors, trim, gate lifters, etc. Hey, you don't want to be pulled over heading to the range.

Garden: You can grow lots of cheap food with a labor-free permaculture design. I had a nasty bermuda grass patch in my back yard. Transformed it into a food-producing garden by covering it with cardboard in the spring when the ground was still wet. Let it bake all summer, and in the following fall, piled all of the leaves from the neighborhood on top. Threw in a few sprouting potatoes and instant garden. The next year, when the cardboard (and weeds) were gone, I started transplanting in greens and other plants from neighbor's gardens. I have bought a few starts, but mostly just let stuff grow there that wants to grow and doesn't take any effort.

Yard sales: I have found gun-related items, especially books. Not to mention just about all of the furniture in my house.

labgrade
January 30, 2003, 11:54 PM
Learn to cast your own bullets.

Second hand Coleman stove (recommend the pump up kind = cheaper), ditto heavy pot, ladle pour & Lee must make the least expensive moulds + their over-the-top O' the press sizer. Straight wheel weights sometimes can be got fer nuttin' at tire stores.

Works plenty good for anything pistol & most any toned-down rifle loads.

Cabella's has an adapter to refill the 16 oz propane tanks from bulk, but you'll have to do a few to break even. Nice to have though.

griz
January 31, 2003, 01:00 AM
And I was just kidding! Good topic though. Here's a few:

You can wash those foam ear plugs with your other laundry. (discovered by accident)

To make your own gun cleaning solvent, search for Ed's red. It works well on everything but copper fouling.

swingset
January 31, 2003, 03:51 AM
Here's a few of mine (I luv to find a cheaper way!):

Scrap wood can be used for soooo much stuff. I've built a shooting bench, gun vise, ammo blocks, tool holders and various other "gun" things with free wood. My local furniture maker throws out a lot of pieces or what they consider "bad" wood, they're happy to give it to me. There's usually always someone we know (if not ourselves) that works with wood and has scrap. Use it, it's smart, cheap and better than wasting it.

Targets can be free or close to it. Anything that's cardboard, paper or thin can be drawn on, printed on or used for a target. I bought a Silk Screen kit at a local garage sale for $1.00, used it to make a NRA style 9" target, and print my own targets on old boxes they throw out at work. Just a sharpie and a protractor can make good targets, too.

For explosive targets, use ice. Get some cheapie square tupperware, suspend string tied around a nail into the water, then freeze. Now you can hang the blocks. They really bust neat, plus you don't have to clean them up and they're free. I take them to the range in a cooler. Also, tennis balls with a string through them are great reactive targets. They swing, absorb MASSIVE amounts of damage, and are cheap or free (athletic clubs will give you their old ones if you ask).

Spotting scope: The Yukon scope from www.opticstore.com is superb (ask around), and only $69. I can see .223 holes clearly at 300 yards with it. It's rugged and clear. That'll save you enough to buy a gun! Plus, here's another neat, cheap trick. Like to have it stand mounted? Get a cast-iron based microphone stand ($15), two pipe-clamps and take the center rod out of the tripod. Now, clamp the rod onto the top of the mic stand, and the head of the tripod sits atop the height-adjustable mic stand for a spotting scope you can use to your left when you shoot alone! Kewl, and cheap.

Need a rest or sandbag for shooting? Get your kid's or your wife's old jeans, cut a section of the leg off, and sew both ends up, fill with fine sand. Makes a good arm rest, portable rest or just handy bag for cushioning anything, and free! (this is a sculptor's trick)

Want a good set of gunsmith style screwdrivers? Go to a cheapo tool store, buy the el-cheapo set of screwdrivers, and ground the tips flat instead of tapered. They're pretty soft usually, so they don't tear into your gun like really hardened ones do, and they're cheap and replaceable. Plus, you can make custom tips this way (spanners & odd shaped bits).

Use Kroil for a bore cleaner. It goes a long way for the $$, is superb at cleaning, and doubles as a break-free agent & mild lubricant. (benchrest shooters already know the value of Kroil). I use nothing but and my guns don't foul as easily using it, and it makes cleaning very fast & easy. Ballistol is similar, tho a tad more expensive and it stinks like something rotten.

Buy a nice, accurate .22 and learn to love plinking and practicing with it. I shoot my .22's about 75% of the time now. 1 jug of plinking .22's is about 1/50th of what a day of high-power shooting will cost you, and nearly as fun.

My last frugal tip is a philosophical one, and one I'm not very good at following but here it is:

Learn to enjoy your guns, instead of craving the ones you don't have. The allure of the gadgets and collections can sweep your money away and is very addictive - sometimes so much so that people forget to stop and enjoy the pure essense of owning and shooting a weapon.

bogie
January 31, 2003, 12:15 PM
If you want a truly accurate rifle, or three, consider a switch barrel on a Remington 700. It'll cost you more to start, but when you're through, you can have a highly accurate .308, .22-250, .243, 6BR, 6/284, .35 Whelen, whatever, all on the same action.

Blow the cash, and buy a good trigger for it. You'll be surprised at how much that helps.

Steve Smith
January 31, 2003, 05:03 PM
This was so good, I'm going to quote swingset.

Learn to enjoy your guns, instead of craving the ones you don't have. The allure of the gadgets and collections can sweep your money away and is very addictive - sometimes so much so that people forget to stop and enjoy the pure essense of owning and shooting a weapon.

bogie
January 31, 2003, 05:24 PM
True - Lots of benchrest shooters get caught up in the gadget of the year club... Harrell presses, all that fun stuff.

Tony Boyer is still using an RCBS JR-3 he's had for years.

Spend your $$ on barrels, bullets and powder.

Citadel99
January 31, 2003, 06:03 PM
Swingset--I had to add that final paragraph to list Word file of quotes I love in addition to sending it to all my shooting buds.

Mark

Woodchuck
January 31, 2003, 06:30 PM
Holsters-- I've made several of my own as I like to carry I.W.B. at 1 or 2 o'clock. I only want the gun butt above my belt. I have scoured web sites looking but never found any that were exactly what I wanted. So I went to Goodwill store and bought a ladies black leather purse for $2.99. Bought a pack of large darning needles at Wallyworld for $1.50. and a spool of high strength black thread at Jo Ann Fabrics for $1.50. The trick to sewing through leather is to use a small pair of needle nose pliers to push it through with. I ended up making 3 holsters, with this one purse. I wouldn't trade them for any that could be bought. They work great. The best part is , with a little experimenting you can have the exact cant that is comfortable for you.

JamisJockey
January 31, 2003, 06:43 PM
Another cheap trick:
Use masking tape to tape holes on paper targets. Get lots of mileage out of them
Balloons make great targets and are seriously cheap.

Keith
February 1, 2003, 04:52 PM
Find expensive liquor bottles and fill them with cheap booze. Most people mix their drinks and can't tell the difference anyway. You can get the cheap booze free by just taking it away from homeless people who are generally too ill to chase you very far.

Turn your underpants inside out, then back to front, then inside out again to get 4 days on one pair.

Reinforce your truck bumper with 4x4's and then drive fast in rural areas at night to get free meat.

You can generally get free chickens and rabbits at the local animal shelter in the weeks after Easter.

Shoot yourself in the groin, sue Ruger.

Borrow money from friends, then change friends and borrow more.

Stand in front of stores in a Santa suit and people will just GIVE you money!

Date feminists and insist they pay for dinner. After sex, insist they owe you $50, or $75 if anything beyond missionary position was used.

Wander the grocery store for an hour eating free samples, dried fruits and nuts, then leave.

Only drive to places that are downhill from where you live, then walk home.

Drop an Alka Seltzer in some cheap white wine - Voila! Champagne!

Put a bale of hay in the back of your truck and drive real slow past cattle. Any that follow you home are legally yours under any sensible interpretation of the law. If they stop following you along the road, you've always got that reinforced bumper...

Help old ladies across the street and then insist on a "tip".

Lacquer all your trash and sell it on Ebay as modern art.

Take your tax returns to any CPA named "Lenny".

Sell your lawnmower and put a sign in your yard saying: "Habitat Restoration Project"

Charge a $50 "Exit Fee" to any salesman or religious group that enters your property to knock on your door.

Keith

Woodchuck
February 1, 2003, 09:58 PM
Targets? Try using old used or ruined compact discs, DVD's for bullseye targets. I personally prefer the ones you find for free at Wallyworld or Target stores. You know, the ones that say "1025 hours Free for 45 days A.O.L.version 7.0 . Just spray paint them black and scotch tape them to cardboard for targets. You kind of get two birds with one stone. Don't forget that Steve Case and AOL are anti-gun. Remember not too long ago they fired 2 or 3 employees for having guns in their cars while at work in a parking lot that didn't even belong to AOL. Every time I go into Target Stores I grab a handfull of these Targets and it makes me feel good!!!

BerettaNut92
February 2, 2003, 12:00 AM
Every time I go into Target Stores I grab a handfull of these Targets and it makes me feel good!!!

Are they free?

Weimadog
February 2, 2003, 11:53 AM
Custom molded silicon ear inserts for hearing protection, then some bulky muffs over them. The cost will be about $60, but you will save more than that on hearing aids later.

Weimadog

Woodchuck
February 2, 2003, 02:39 PM
Skunkabilly

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every time I go into Target Stores I grab a handfull of these Targets and it makes me feel good!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are they free?
-----------------------------------------
yes they are.

Malone LaVeigh
February 2, 2003, 03:12 PM
But seriously, there are two areas of your life in which you can save enough money to make a really big difference. I'm talking retire at 55 instead of 65 difference. I'm talking a good rifle every year difference.

Transportation and housing.

Housing is tricky, but it's the big one. I can't really advise much, because it depends so much on the market, but a couple of rules apply: Buy early and stay where you are.

As far as transportation is concerned, I have a few recommendations:

1) Always drive whatever you own till it is thoroughly dead. By that I mean when the repairs cost more than the replacement.

2) Buy late model (~4yo) used cars with low mileage.

3) Always buy the smallest car you can get away with. This will save you throughout the life of the car. Not just the purchase price and gasoline, but everything from then on out. Big O and other tire outlets often offer the smallest size tires as loss leaders to get folks in the door. ("As low as...") A lot of places offer low price servicing on smaller cars. The parts are all, well, smaller, and cheaper when you need repairs.

And don't think you need a big rig for rough riding. I've driven a Toyota Corolla on some of the roughest roads in N Cal. Wentworth Springs road (before they improved it), Rock Creek Road, McKeon-Ponderosa Road down to the M Fork of the American and back out the other side, even part of the Rubicon. I might have had to get out and move a rock or two, but I never was stuck. I've seen Volkswagen Beetles in places you wouldn't believe.

4) Drive gently. Change the oil regularly. Very short warmups on cold mornings and baby it for the first couple of miles. Don't wind out the gears. Brake and take off smoothly. Obey the speed limit. These things will make your car last longer than anything else you can do.

Wildalaska
February 2, 2003, 03:34 PM
Take off your glasses while reading to save wear and tear on them.

Lmnt vwls whn typng t sv wr nd tr n kybrd

Wldlska

BerettaNut92
February 2, 2003, 10:55 PM
Fun cheap reactive targets:

Get a boatload of junk tennis balls.
Get some junk shoelace.

Poke a hole in the ball, tie a knot on one end and a noose on the other.

Hang ball by noose, shove knot into ball.

WHEEEE!

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap Tricks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!