Jump shooting ducks

PDA

dak0ta
December 5, 2011, 03:29 AM
Is there a method to properly do this? I'm hunting in marshland next to a river. Do you try to move through the reeds slowly and quietly or do you just walk through them with the gun ready to shoot anything that flies out?

If you enjoyed reading about "Jump shooting ducks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
interlock
December 5, 2011, 05:44 AM
If you are with a buddy one can drive the duck to the other. If not it is as you say, creep through and shoot them on the rise...

Can you flight them over the river or shoot over decoys?

Interlock

drsfmd
December 5, 2011, 04:38 PM
There's no one method that's best. It depends on the number of people you have in your party, the terrain, etc...

MCgunner
December 5, 2011, 04:44 PM
Best way is if you can find a dike or levee you can keep between you and the ducks, stay completely out of sight. They're not easy to get in range of otherwise. I've managed it on farm tanks, though.

husker
December 5, 2011, 07:54 PM
Not my faverit way to hunt water fowl.
But we do jump shoot Snow geese once or twice a year. We use a dike like MCgunner said.
20 seconds of shooting can add up to hours & hours chasing cripples. & that is the part I hate.

Larry Ashcraft
December 5, 2011, 08:09 PM
We used to hunt a little creek that ran through a farm. The creek was so small you could jump across it, but it was warm spring water, so it was very productive in the winter. We would rush the known productive spots and then get away from the creek and walk to the next likely spot and rush in again. Usually you can get close enough to be in range when the ducks flush if you move in quick.

We found it best to only jump shoot that creek about once a week. Otherwise the ducks would just find someplace else.

I've hunted rivers pretty much the same way.

dak0ta
December 6, 2011, 03:07 AM
By the way for blending in, I don't really have the budget to buy Mossy Oak tops and bottoms. I know that back in the day people just wore brown/tan jackets and got the job done. I was wondering if these jackets would blending in with the marshes and reeds.

http://www2.marks.com/ProductImages/1075-pdp.jpg

http://www.dickies.ca/mens-clothing/mens-outerwear/Blanket-Lined-Duck-Jacket-D17001.jsp

Or any of the 'duck brown' jackets from dickie's line: http://www.dickies.ca/mens-clothing/mens-outerwear.jsp

drsfmd
December 6, 2011, 10:38 AM
Buy a long sleeve camo t-shirt that's a couple of sizes too big and put it over your jacket. You should be able to get one for $10 or less at your local shops.

303tom
December 6, 2011, 11:14 AM
We do it on the creek, it`s about the easiest way I know of, sneak around the bends jump em up & shoot em..........

lizziedog1
December 6, 2011, 06:56 PM
There is an area that I hunt for upland game that has agricultural ditches everywhere. More often than not I jump ducks out them. I don't hunt for them, I don't even have the proper stamps for them. The shot that I am carrying isn't even legal for waterfowl.

I tell this to the duck hunters around here. They want to know where this place is.

I ain't telling.:rolleyes:

MCgunner
December 6, 2011, 08:05 PM
I don't think camo really helps if you're moving. They're GOING to see the movement. Best thing to do is find something you can put between you and them as you move closer like a dike, trees, a John Deere, SOMEthing. Gotta plan the stalk. :D

Camo is a must for hunting with deeks on a pothole. I have found the 3D stuff, "leafy wear", works about the best in all circumstances in marsh cover or trees. The stuff is pretty awesome. I got mine at Bass Pro years ago and paid too much. You can get this sort of camo at Walmart around here now for a better price. I got a jump suit big enough to go over my other clothing. It's mesh, works for teal season when it's 100 degrees mid day, too, well, a lot better than a jacket. LOL

MCgunner
December 6, 2011, 08:10 PM
BTW, be careful when you are crawling. I was army crawling up on some greater canadas in a field when I was a kid. I got 'em, but also got a bit of mud in the barrel and lost 6" of it. I was walking back with 3 birds in tow, grabbed for the barrel over my shoulder and the end cut my finger. :banghead: It was an 870 remington in 20 gauge and I had 2 3.4" 4 lead in it. I got close using a fence line and staying on my belly. :D

dak0ta
December 6, 2011, 08:54 PM
Good story!

interlock
December 7, 2011, 05:11 AM
Your ducks must be more wary than ours. I have found that sitting still in any drab coloured clothing beside a pond is good enough. occassionally i will put up a camo net... but not often.

lizziedog1
December 7, 2011, 09:01 AM
When I jump ditch ducks while hunting I am not wearing any camo at all. In fact, I am wearing an upland vet that is blaze orange in the back.

What does help is the the ditches have thick vegatation. The ducks don't usually take-off until I am almost on top of them.

Those darn things scare the bejesus out of me when they launch.

MCgunner
December 7, 2011, 10:57 AM
Your ducks must be more wary than ours. I have found that sitting still in any drab coloured clothing beside a pond is good enough. occassionally i will put up a camo net... but not often.

I hunt a public marsh. Late season they're pretty wary. But, staying still, not showing your face, not being profiled on the horizon will work so long as you're not wearing orange or something. Best way is to keep brush and grass at your back or stand/sit on your marsh chair in the reeds. :D Then, you don't so much need good camo or any camo, but I wear my camo, anyway. Stuck out in low Spartina grass (Spartina alterniflora....a low bunch type grass AKA "salt grass"), well, sometimes you don't have that sort of cover. Where I hunt, we have a variety of situations, but mostly have good cover on the potholes.

rszwieg
December 7, 2011, 02:05 PM
Some places woodies are the only ducks around and sneaking up on them on creeks is the only way to get 'em. They're tough to call.

I'm fortunate to live 15 miles south of Horicon Marsh and don't have that problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "Jump shooting ducks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!