Blackhawk Serpa Level III

PDA

elwoods67
December 6, 2011, 10:59 PM
Has anyone used this holster? I have a Glock 21 and I am looking for a durable holster that is safe. I like the fact that it has 3 systems that hold it in place one being the thumb release. However the complicated mechanisms sometimes make me worry that it will have a greater chance of failure in an emergency situation.

I plan on wearing it on my hip, NOT A THIGH RIG DROP DOWN as I am not in combat and will hopefully not have to wear a heavy tactical vest.

I've also looked at the safari land models.

DURABILITY & RELIABILITY are top priorities for any product I buy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blackhawk Serpa Level III" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gschoelles
December 7, 2011, 11:08 AM
I just sold a drop leg version for my 17 and 22 and thought it was great after a butt-load of practice. However the releases often proved difficult at times and I have a hard time imagining working both mechanisms up on the hip.

elwoods67
December 7, 2011, 12:41 PM
Did you ever have issues with the mechanism jamming up?

Owen Sparks
December 7, 2011, 10:31 PM
I have the level 2 and love it! One advantage for civilian use is keeping your pistol from bouncing out of the holster while you are on a horse or four wheeler.

allaroundhunter
December 7, 2011, 10:36 PM
What is it going to be used for? CC? OC?

allaroundhunter
December 7, 2011, 10:38 PM
I have the level 2 and love it! One advantage for civilian use is keeping your pistol from bouncing out of the holster while you are on a horse or four wheeler

This is exactly what I use my lvl 2 holster for, and it works perfectly for this role. I have no reason for a lvl 3, the lvl 2 gets the job done just fine.

elwoods67
December 8, 2011, 01:11 AM
I am between deciding on the Level 2 and Level 3. It will be for OC and not CC. I'm 6'0 215 pounds so having my weapon taken away from me is not a big concern but I would like to have the added security feature as most cowardly attackers would seldom have the confidence to fight one on one so the last thing I need is one of their accomplices taking my weapon.

allaroundhunter
December 8, 2011, 04:07 PM
I am between deciding on the Level 2 and Level 3. It will be for OC and not CC. I'm 6'0 215 pounds so having my weapon taken away from me is not a big concern but I would like to have the added security feature as most cowardly attackers would seldom have the confidence to fight one on one so the last thing I need is one of their accomplices taking my weapon.

I see the level III as a duty holster, not an OC holster. It will take more practice to get your gun out, but if you are dead set on that extra measure of security then go for it. I would be perfectly comfortable with a level II and some weapon retention training (which you should get even if you use the lvl III)

ClickClickD'oh
December 8, 2011, 04:49 PM
If you want a serious lvl III holster, get the Safariland 6360. I demonstrate to Serpa lovers all the time how to strip a firearm out of it without disengaging the lock. You could also go with the 6377 if you don't want a full top strap style retention holster. I use the 6377 for soft uniform work.

elwoods67
December 9, 2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I saw the safariland holster, but from your experience does that thumb guard make the holster too bulky to carry and a bit cumbersome getting in and out of a vehicle? I do like that it sits a bit higher on the hip than the Serpa.

ClickClickD'oh
December 9, 2011, 07:40 PM
By thumb guard, do you mean the hood guard? The piece of black plastic that goes up and over the top of the holster to prevent other people from rotating the hood?

If that's what you are talking about, it comes of with an allen wrench if you don't like it. It's nice and bendy too so it flexes out of the way of having pressure put on it. I've never really taken any note of it while wearing the holster.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blackhawk Serpa Level III" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!