Value of a Smith and Wesson 29 Classic hunter?

PDA

FIVETWOSEVEN
December 6, 2011, 11:11 PM
A friend of mine is selling one and I can't find anything on Gunbroker, does someone know how much one that is in 99% condition worth?

If you enjoyed reading about "Value of a Smith and Wesson 29 Classic hunter?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Baba Louie
December 7, 2011, 02:07 PM
$650ish+ for top notch N frames. More if box papers etc are there. We are talking about the older pre lock 29-5 or 29-6 in 6.5", laser etched lettering... right? Not the new improved 29 Classic?

buck460XVR
December 7, 2011, 02:39 PM
$550 to $600 around here. New N-Frames are around $775.

FIVETWOSEVEN
December 7, 2011, 02:51 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/sean_bart1/DSC_0011.jpg

This is what I looks like. 6" barrel I believe. Does anyone know how accurate these are? As I recall the front sight can be set to 50, 100, 150, and 200 yards but how accurate would it be at 200? I'm looking for just a gong ringer at 200 yards mainly.

Hamilton Felix
December 7, 2011, 03:00 PM
From my BlueBook online subscription:

MODEL 29 CLASSIC HUNTER Add to Collection
- .44 Mag. cal., 6 in. barrel with full length barrel lug, non-fluted cylinder, Hogue grips, four position adj. front sight. Mfg. late 1980s.

98% is $475

100% is 575

Hope this is helpful.

Looks like a nice piece. I believe that four position front sight was developed for IHMSA shooting. If I remember correctly, it can be set to "remember" four elevations.

FIVETWOSEVEN
December 7, 2011, 03:02 PM
Is that a recent price because that seems pretty low IMO, I don't want to feel like I'm low balling my friend.

22-rimfire
December 7, 2011, 03:45 PM
Blue Book prices are often a little low. But they are a good place to start when trying to develop a price to offer or a selling point.

I think $650 is about right if the original box comes with the gun based on what I know.

The normal iron sights are adustable for elevation and windage. There are not separate "notches" for the various ranges such as you might see on a CZ or military rifle. Accuracy should be very good on average based on my experience with the M57's. I only shoot out to 100 yds with my M57's and have no experience at longer ranges.

FIVETWOSEVEN
December 7, 2011, 06:50 PM
How accurate have they been in your hands at 100? I'm just looking for something to ring the 26" steel gong at 200 yards.

22-rimfire
December 7, 2011, 11:24 PM
I can hit a 6" paper plate or clay pigeon at 100 yds pretty easy with iron sights. (Not every shot, but pretty consistantly.) This is my 8 3/8" M57 that I am referring to.

It is actually kind of amazing how well this gun shoots in my hands. I don't do as well with my 4" M57 but I certainly can move a soda can around at that distance with the gun. So. I am still hitting pretty close.

FIVETWOSEVEN
December 7, 2011, 11:44 PM
Sounds like this gun will do what I want at 200 yards. Do you happen to know how the front sight works?

22-rimfire
December 8, 2011, 12:05 PM
The front sight is not adjustable. Adjustments are all made with the rear sight. It has been a long time since there were adjustable front sights. The one that comes to mind is the Colt Officers Model Target (pre 1950).

Baba Louie
December 8, 2011, 01:35 PM
The front sight is not adjustable. Adjustments are all made with the rear sight. Uhhh actually, the front sight on this model is adjustable. Designed for silhouette shooting as noted above. (not my photo but one that shows top side)

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u308/Babalou55/IMG_1705.jpg

FIVETWOSEVEN
December 8, 2011, 03:18 PM
Can you please explain to me how that works? Are they preset distances?

22-rimfire
December 8, 2011, 04:10 PM
Learned something. Thanks Baba Louie. I just assumed they were always the same as they used to be.

Baba Louie
December 8, 2011, 05:17 PM
Can you please explain to me how that works? Are they preset distances?As I recall, not too well, tho maybe it was just the early 29s were not set up for hard core silhouette shooting and the shooters back then were vocal about S&W being lesser than other makers of the day.

Basically center rear sight, then adjust each front sight setting to either a known distance or weight bullet or both... but... with no "clicks" the front settings are variable and tempermental and go out of adjustment with recoil and as such, a sorta good idea half developed kinda went nowhere fast. As I recall mind you. I never got into the whole silhouette steel chicken shooting thing.

You should be able to ring a 200 yd gong with no problems using regular sights on a 29 once you figure out your hold over a time or two. Sounds like fun.

Mac2
December 10, 2011, 03:29 PM
I've got one I'm looking at, a 629-2 with non fluted cyl but conventional front sight. It's at about 98% with no box. I can get it for $350 (guy don't shoot much any more).
I'm a Colt guy and don't know much about the Smith's. Can't find much info on a non fluted with a conventional sight. I know the price is almost too good to believe, but what is it? Thanks, Mac.

papa_bear
December 10, 2011, 03:51 PM
I'll buy it for 400

papa_bear
December 10, 2011, 03:52 PM
Those prices seem low they seem to be moving above 700

X-Rap
December 10, 2011, 03:58 PM
I'd be all over that deal. The biggest problem I ever had with the 629's was the boring for barrel wasn't parallel with the frame so it could only be sighted for one distance. I owned one and have seen a couple others for sale since I became hypersensitive due to the one I owned.
It is pretty easy to see if you try line up the grooving on top of the frame and continue down the top of the barrel.

bikemutt
December 10, 2011, 05:07 PM
There is one on the local gun site here asking $800, posted up November 21. Bumped yesterday so it's still up. Looks like a safe queen, 6" barrel.

AABEN
December 10, 2011, 05:22 PM
BABA ---I have one with a 10in barrel that has done very good shooting silhouette. Also a very good deer gun. Nice to see one on here.

Mac2
December 12, 2011, 07:53 AM
Well I got it Saturday. $350, and that was the asking price. 629-2 6" with a BBH prefix on the serial # (3xxx). Like I said, non fluted cyl (I like that) /w conventional front sight. Only burr is small on the rear right of the hammer. No other marks or deep scratches. The cyl face is fairly clean and some build up at the forcing cone. Gonna shoot it tomorrow then give it a good clean up. Needs a red ramp front. I'll make one or maybe buy one. I'm very happy with it, even though I'm a Colt guy.

Baba Louie
December 12, 2011, 08:19 AM
Mac
Great price!. Photos or it didn't happen? (don't make me beg too hard here) :D

The single action trigger pressure on mine (from the factory) is "hair whisper" think about it and it goes BANGBOOM, so be careful at first. It's the 2nd "Oops! Oh Shot" (words to that effect at any rate) ND I ever had. Double action is smooth, single action is... scary light (in mine).

Here's a photo of my Classic and Trail Boss. The 29 Classic has the oh so light single action trigger.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u308/Babalou55/SW017.jpg

Drail
December 12, 2011, 11:00 AM
That gun was designed for metallic silhouette competition. Targets are shot at 50, 100, 150, 200 yards. The front sight setup allows you to quickly change your sighting for the different ranges. And believe it or not a great many people can hit the 200 yard targets. Besides just hitting the target you must hit it with enough power to knock it completely off of the stand it is sitting on. Just hitting it or rocking it back a little doesn't count. You must use a accurate load and a heavy enough slug to knock the targets off. These kind of loads will beat a S&W pretty badly in a couple of seasons. A lot of S&W 29s have been hammered to death by this sport. I still remember vividly the first time I hit the 200 yd. steel ram. Fun. It is possible with a .45 ACP 1911 and a 4 in. S&W M 57 as well though some will call me a liar on that. The .45 ACP will not even move the target. It does take some practice to do it consistently. With the 1911 you had to hold so far above the target that the slide completely obscured the target, kind of like lobbing mortar rounds in. My favorite gun for 200 yd. shooting is a Ruger Bisley with a 7.5 in. bbl. It makes it fairly easy. Note that a brightly colored front sight can work against you if the sun is up off the side to your shooting position. The glare of the sight to one side will cause you to pull the shot that direction. Flat black sights work the best if the targets are light colored or white. We all used sight back spray on front and rear sights. No glare.

If you enjoyed reading about "Value of a Smith and Wesson 29 Classic hunter?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!