hog hunting in ohio?

PDA

bigrico92
December 10, 2011, 02:04 PM
Anyone know where I can go hunting for hogs in Ohio or close by? Wanting to get at least one for the meat.

thank you in advance for any information.

If you enjoyed reading about "hog hunting in ohio?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
matrem
December 10, 2011, 08:18 PM
ODNR seems to overrate the wild hog "problem" here.

The "close by" place that worked for me was east Texas.

1911 guy
December 11, 2011, 12:18 AM
I agree with matrem. The ODNR says to shoot on sight, giving the impression that we're being overrun. Not hardly. Your best bet is a paid hunt, at which point the cost is going to be comparable to buying pork chops at Giant Eagle.

Assuming you hunt southern Ohio where they claim there are hogs, I'll lay money you see a bear or two and possibly Bigfoot before you see a hog.

7.62 Nato
December 11, 2011, 12:30 AM
When asked this question in Michigan, the answers usually make reference to the campuses of opposing colleges.

1911 guy
December 11, 2011, 12:54 AM
Big difference between "hog hunting" and "hoggin'".

One is an outdoor endeavor that sometimes puts porkchops in your freezer. The other is a dubious practice in which the participant ignores all the pretty girls and... well...

cottswald
December 12, 2011, 11:06 AM
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/Images/hunting/maps/2008%20Feral%20swine%20map.bmp

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
December 12, 2011, 04:15 PM
ODNR seems to overrate the wild hog "problem" here.

While the problem has yet to reach epidemic proportions as they have in the southern states, I would not be willing to go so far as to say that they "overrate" the problem one bit. What the DNR is trying to accomplish is to STEM the problem BEFORE it reaches epidemic levels. Most states that are starting to see hogs are getting a clue to just how dangerous even one group of hogs can be to their state. One pack of 20 hogs can, within a years time, turn into over 200!! With their reproductive rate being such as it is, I am more than pleased with the statements from DNR's such as Ohio. Killum all!

That being said, OP you will be hard pressed to find any hogs north of Dayton or Columbus. At least at this present time.

tightgroup tiger
December 12, 2011, 04:31 PM
I agree, KILL THEM ALL!!! They are coming up into North Carolina from South Carolina right now. I have no doubt they are already here in the southern part of the state. I will shoot them on sight.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
December 12, 2011, 05:02 PM
tightgroup_tiger, Dont know where you have been hunting, but I was killing hogs in North Carolina 30 years ago! They have BEEN there. The population just hasn't exploded like they have down in SC. 99% of them are feral and not many Russians, but there are a few "escapees" around NC.

Dmitri Popov
December 13, 2011, 03:18 AM
WV has the opposite problem. WVDNR all but completely denies that there are any hogs here. Well i've seen the pictures of 450-500 lb monsters that have been coming out not 10 minutes from my house! I've even had guys with cattle complain that the hogs have killed some of their calves. And to take the cake, if I'm not mistaken, there are only 4 or so counties with hog seasons, and Wayne ain't one of 'em...
Thanks WVDNR...
:/

tightgroup tiger
December 13, 2011, 11:28 AM
quote: Dont know where you have been hunting, but I was killing hogs in North Carolina 30 years ago!

I know are here somewhere, we don't have them in our area yet. Keep up the good work!

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
December 13, 2011, 02:54 PM
tightgroup, My main hunting spots in NC were all bordering TN around Ashville. Did kill a few around Charlotte (way outside of it) and a few outside of Hickory. Lot of family that lived in NC and grew up hunting that state quite a bit. If I had to guess, Id have to imagine that a lot of the hogs in NC migrated from Tennessee. Catoosa wasn't the only place in TN that stocked hogs. They also stocked quite a few in the Smokies from what I understand.

tightgroup tiger
December 13, 2011, 04:26 PM
Freedom Fighter,
I remember from my childhood in the 1960's the game commission in Pa. putting a bounty on problem animals, Owls, and several others for various reasons.
I think they should put a bounty on feral hogs now.
They are nothing but an infestation but no one wants to deal with it until it is to late.
Hunting seasons for them are fine until they get out of control, then it's already to late. They are like rats. I've seen in other posts on this forum where people get over run with them and put up signs begging hunters to dispatch them. Problem is some of these were the same people that wouldn't allow anyone to hunt them before the hog population exploded in those areas.
Something that craps in the same water it drinks can't be right.
I have grandchildren here, and if I see a hog on my property, it will find out how tight a tightgroup can be.
Enough ranting, again, all you hog hunters, keep up the good work.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
December 13, 2011, 05:11 PM
Bounties would be a fantastic idea if the funds are available. Therein lies the problem with it though. Funding for such a program would seriously cut into the DNR budget which is severely strained in most every state as is.

leeroy71
December 21, 2011, 01:32 PM
{ODNR seems to overrate the wild hog "problem" here.}

I concur. I've hunted all over Ohio (except western so far) in the last 30plus years.
I have yet to see even a track or the "bulldozed" rooting they do.

I twice as many bobcats (1):D.

So, if anyone knows fora fact where they are, please share this with us.
Unless you plan on keeping them for youself.:mad: lol

matrem
December 21, 2011, 10:13 PM
I concur. I've hunted all over Ohio (except western so far) in the last 30plus years.
I have yet to see even a track or the "bulldozed" rooting they do.

You are in agreement with all of the buckeye hunters that I know.
In this thread, we had a buckeye ask a question about wild hogs in Ohio. All of the responders that post Ohio as their area (3 or 4), say exactly what you're saying.
While I agree with some of what the folks from other states are saying about a potential "future" problem, we certainly do NOT have a scenario where somebody having to ask where to hunt them here would have any reasonable chance of even seeing one.

Timmypage16
December 21, 2011, 11:31 PM
I study in the school of environment and natural resources at OSU and I have not met a single person in any of my classes that have shot or seen one, and most of the people I talked to are from all over the state. However, one of the professors did say that he has seen some, or at least rooting. So are they out there, yes, but are very isolated and in small numbers.

If you enjoyed reading about "hog hunting in ohio?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!