Do you ever just want to cry.

PDA

jbkebert
December 10, 2011, 03:39 PM
I have no pictures. I don't have the animal. I have no proof. All I have is the sob story.

My oldest son Keigan and I went out on our property this morning bow-hunting deer. It is still the Kansas firearms season but I would rather bow-hunt. My oldest son this is his first year of bow hunting.

We got up this morning to a nice crisp 12 degrees. Got ready and headed into the woods. Not much wind but cold as heck still. At 7:30 ish this morning. I hear some leaves crushing up the trail leading by my stand. I paid it no attention figured that much noise can only be made by a squirrel. All of the sudden up the trail 40 yards is the biggest buck I have ever seen in my life. The buck a 14 point not at all kidding high 170's to low 180 class. Wanders in to me at 11 yards head on. He stops cold and just starts staring up the trail that would lead him to a broad side shot at 9 yards. He never snorted, he never raised his tail. Nothing. He had no idea I was right there on top of him.

Well the buck just turns around and wanders back up the trail from which he had come. He disappears from my veiw at 65 yards or so. So I am sitting here and banged my head against the tree a couple times. Wondering what in the world happened. Then I hear a stick break behind me. My son had gotten cold and was coming to get me to go home. When I saw my son comming up the trail I hoped the buck would take. I just broke down laughing probably drove the buck into the next county.

I have been bow hunting whitetail deer for 21 years now. I have hunted deer in 7 states. I have never once seen a buck this big with my own eyes at any distance. I was still shaking over a hour later. I can't be mad at my son for getting cold. That is my job as his dad to make sure he is dressed warm enough. There is nothing saying I could of gotten off a arrow at the buck if he did make that turn. This is why we call it hunting not killing. Nothing in certain. In the 15 years I have owned the 80 acres we were hunting I have never seen this buck. Not on camera not with my eyes. Don't know if he is still cruising for does. Scared onto my place by a rifle hunter I can't say.

All I know is we went to the sporting goods store and bought better gloves,hat, long underwear.

I had my hand on my rifle this morning still trying to kill this old gray faced doe. I thought nah I would rather bow hunt which is true. Heck nothing says I could of got him with a rifle either. Sometimes things just happen for strange reasons and you can't help but laugh. Yet at the same time you want to cry.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you ever just want to cry." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
glock36
December 10, 2011, 03:53 PM
That memory will be with you a life time

esheato
December 10, 2011, 04:03 PM
Heartbreaking, but a great story. Surely one to be told around the campfire at hunting camp for years and years.

matrem
December 10, 2011, 04:07 PM
I've been to the point of not knowing whether to cry, throw my bow, or just bang my head as you did.
One positive I've learned from those type of experiences is that it sure helps fuel the hunting desire. Sort of the "get em next time" attitude I suppose.

shiftyer1
December 10, 2011, 04:13 PM
Sounds alot like my first hunting trip, I was in the stand at sunup and got bored around 11 or so. I climbed down to walk around a little, about 20 minutes later I hear a shot from the direction of my stand. The biggest doe of the trip decided to walk almost under my stand and another in our party got a shot at her.

After that you couldn't get me out of a stand if you set it on fire. lol

308win
December 10, 2011, 04:42 PM
He is still around, keep after him.

retrieverman
December 10, 2011, 04:51 PM
Long story made short, if you had been hunting with a gun, you would be posting pictures of a high 170's/low 180 class buck.

I can understand being a die hard bow hunter, but I don't have any sympathy when I here stories like this one.

jbkebert
December 10, 2011, 08:21 PM
Certainly not looking sympathy. We went back out tonight to try again. I got into my stand again with my bow, but I toted mt t/c encore in .308 win handgun. Keigan once again got cold and headed back to the house. I have to teach my son that 7:30 am and 5:05 pm are not really the best times to leave a stand.

We are only hunting 60 to 70 yards apart so I can keep an eye on him. I ended up seeing a total of 4 does and a little fork horn buck.

Tomorrow morning I am heading out while the kids go to Sunday school. I will celebrate the lord in company of some of his finest creations. It will be the last day of the Kansas rifle season. So the bow is staying home and the .270 win gets to come along. If I get another chance I am going to take it. After tomorrow morning probably won't be hunting much for the next couple weeks. To many things going on.

I have had many chances this year on bucks but keep passing them up. I would rather my kids get the chance than myself. Even if i close the season without filling a tag. I am happier than heck just to have been in the woods.

jbkebert
December 10, 2011, 09:25 PM
I had my Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag on my hip and accessable. But with my bow in my hand it would of been real difficult to get. Even then the shot presentation would be less than ideal for the caliber and bullet I had loaded in it. 158grain semi jacketed flat points. I could of perhaps driven a arrow into him for a killing shot. For what I had with me the best option was to do nothing. I kept hoping he would take a few more steps.

I certainly don't mind rifle hunting it just isn't the same at least to me. I don't think I'll go to hell for shooting a deer with a centerfire rifle. I don't think your a bad person if you use 777 or pyrodex in a muzzleloader instead of the holy black. I had rifles out this morning and my son said he would rather bow hunt. Didn't bother me a bit and still doesn't.

Great thing is that Kansas resident tags for whitetail are now any season. The same tag is good for archery,muzzleloader, and rifle season. Also good for a buck or doe with extra doe tags available. So three months worth of hunting for $18 as a land owner. I really ain't out much money but still have another entire month to hunt.

1911 guy
December 11, 2011, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Long story made short, if you had been hunting with a gun, you would be posting pictures of a high 170's/low 180 class buck.

There's a boatload of assumptions in that single sentence. It may or may not be true and given the vagaries of deer hunting, it could have ended exactly the same way regardless of the weapon used.

Anyway, that's why I hunt, for stories like that. Sure, the meat is great, but the memories last long after the last morsel of meat has been eaten.

ShawnC
December 11, 2011, 04:14 AM

I can understand being a die hard bow hunter, but I don't have any sympathy when I here stories like this one.

Wow, dude. That's harsh. It was just a story.

Caddisflied
December 11, 2011, 04:49 AM
Big bucks tend to be very lucky sometimes.
Hope you get another crack at that one.

thejellster05
December 11, 2011, 05:24 AM
Hey Jeremy its Jon from Topeka,
Awesome thread man, sorry it didn't quite work out.
I had a way lesser heartbreaker this year down in Overbrook. First day out on private land and I have a doe all lined up waiting for her to turn broadside (only about 80 yards away) and I'm trying to fight the shakes cuz its my first deer and BAM! Another "hunter" shoots at a doe next to her and they all split. He missed and then drove the truck through the field looking for her just being a jerk trying to run me off (this is some distant relative that decided its his land to hunt all of a sudden). Whatever left that day went back 2 times more and never saw anything. I did learn from that buck we kicked up and I missed, so I stalk with my Winchester 94 30-30 and sit with that savage .30-06.

Long post.
Take care man!
:)

41 Mag
December 11, 2011, 06:39 AM
JB,

Been there done that in one or more instance.

The one that hangs in my head the most however, came about as follows.

The daughter, about 13 at the time, and I are hunting our family farm of just over 100 acres. She is in one stand, and I am in another some 250yds across a pasture from her. Similar to you I can easily keep an eye on her with the bino's and should she shoot, I can also easily watch her deer, as it is wide open except for a 15 or so acre wood lot just behind her. Similar morning crisp for our area at about 30, no wind, clear. About 08:30 I see a doe trot out of the wood lot some 200yd from her at the corner of our property. Then as if by magic, he steps out into the sunlight. A fully mature 10 point easily 20" wide and heavy. I could have easily have taken him, but like you I would MUCH rather her get him. She is sitting there clueless to his presents. As he stands there tending the feeding doe, under a big oak tree, I get ecstatic looking him over, and wondering why she hasn't shot yet. Finally I cannot stand it anymore, and I whistle, she looks at me, and I point. She looks toward them but shrugs her shoulders. I then cannot contain myself and I shout across the pasture, "he's in the corner, shoot him". Now being a seasoned hunter, and shouting across a wide open pasture I felt a bit like an idiot, but I felt there was no other option. She looks down there then back at me and shrugs her shoulders, and then turns around to watch the woods again. Again, I loose it and holler at her to look, and shoot him. Finally, I guess out of sheer frustration she opens the door to the box blind and steps out, kneels down, looks to the corner, then about has a #$% fit, as the buck, which now see's her, slips back into the woods and is gone.

The buck was the biggest I had ever seen there, ever, and I have been hunting that property my whole life. He shook ME up so much I thought I was going to throw up several times after he slipped away. After about an hour I headed over to pick her up, and asked her what the #$% the deal was. She was almost in tears, when I got there, and said she didn't even know they were there, as there was a tree in her way. I said "DO WHAT", then got int he stand and sure enough, there was one little scrubby oak which hung out from the edge of the wood lot which obstructed her view of the corner. It wasn't until she got out that she could see them and by then the jig was up.

We hunted that deer relentlessly for the rest of that season, and two more seeing him off and on. We even had him within 20yds of us one morning, while in a brush blind we put together about 10 the previous night. He came easing by about 20 minutes before first light and was majestically silhouetted against the moon light as he cross the hill just above us. We never got him, but the thrill of the chase was everlasting

Your right, it is the hunt that keeps us going back. The memories, the stories, and the being in God's country.

Thanks for sharing.

Oh and the daughter, well she also hasn't gotten past "Ol Casper" as she named him, but she has done well through the years taking some VERY nice bucks from our place. This year she DID drop the best deer to date we have gotten from the place, the day after Thanksgiving,
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Hunting%202011/Photo-0152.jpg

Skyshot
December 11, 2011, 10:19 AM
I hurts now, but looking back, some of the best hunts are those when you come back skunked.

jbkebert
December 11, 2011, 12:44 PM
Great story 41mag.

Nice looking buck your daughter has there. I know when you see a buck and sit there and wait for your child to shoot. My lord it seems like three lifetimes. I have spotted deer that my boys did not and try and try and try to tell them where it is. Sometimes they just look at you like your nuts.

Stories of the one that got away. Jon who posted above under the name thejellster05. I met this young man a couple years ago. He was a student at a hunter education class I was teaching in October 2009. During a break inbetween sessions i was showing some of the instructors the picture of Keigan's buck taken in September. Jon came over to ask a question and saw the pictures and recognized them from THR. Apparently he had been reading post but was not a member yet.

We hit it off and he asked me several times about wanting to hunt deer. I think he was around 18 years old. So we got together a couple times and I took him to the range to get used to centerfire rifles. We shot alot and goofed around and has a good time. Rifle season finally rolled around and we headed up to my farm in Nemaha county.

We set up first thing down in a bottom under some cedar trees. The crisp morning was broken with a flat score of turkeys flying down. My lord was there alot of turkey. I don't think I am over the top by saying 80-90 birds. Jon looked at me in amazment. I don't think he had ever seen anything like that before. After sometime of not seeing any deer we decided to do some walking. We kicked up a decent 8 point buck and Jon fired my rifle. We waited a little bit and went to where we had last seen the buck. All I ever found was some white hair and very very little blood. We tracked and searched for close to 4 hours when I finally called off the search. Went back the truck and even the coffee in the stanley thermos was ice cold. I felt bad as hell that we could not connect.

Jon is now a happily married man and I give him my congrats. Other than going to the range a time or two more since then. We haven't gotten together to hunt. Perhaps next year we can give her another try.

jbkebert
December 11, 2011, 03:14 PM
Perhaps a bad thread title. No hurt no whine.

More that sometimes in hunting things go screwy no matter how well you plan. You can play the wind. Practice very good scent control, be disciplined in movement. Yet sometimes it just dont work out. Nothing we can do but sit back scratch our heads and go back out. The frustration just makes the prize all the sweeter. Heck even sometimes it makes the prize a little bitter because its over.

That simple reason is why I am a die hard bowhunter. Yet I will keep buying more deer rifles just in case.;)

buck460XVR
December 11, 2011, 03:45 PM
jbkebert.....times like that are why many of us hunt. Many times the frustration of a close encounter gone bad motivates us more than success.....and yes, all big bucks have a horseshoe up their butt to be able to live thru hunting and predation to make it to trophy size.

I had read this thread earlier in the week, but didn't feel the desire to respond till after my hunt yesterday. It was the first and last chance I had this year to hunt a large parcel of public land my family has hunted since my dad started to hunt it after he returned from WWII. It gets pressured hard, but has produced many deer for me and my family over the years. I hunt mostly private land nowadays, but still get back at least once a year just for old times sake. When I got there, the temps were still below zero. No snow, but frost and ice on everything. I knew from the first step, since I would be still hunting by myself with a revolver, that my odds of seeing a deer, much less getting one were slim to none. No matter how slow I went, because of the noisy walking conditions, I just couldn't get close to anything, Not a big deal, I was there for the memories from the past anyway. After about 4 hours of slowly walking thru swamp and thickets, I finally hit the stretch back to the truck. Knowing I couldn't get close to deer in the pines cause of the noise of crusty ground, I thought no way in 'ell could I get close to a deer in an open swamp with just a 1/8th of an inch of ice over the ankle deep water. To my surprise as I came around a pencil poplar thicket, I surprised a large 10 point buck taking out his frustrations on a small Tamarack. It was one of the largest bucks I have seen in that area in 46 years of hunting. As we stared at each other from 30 yards apart I slowly raised my revolver, put the bead on his chest and then slowly lowered it. He looked at me for what seemed several minutes and then slowly walked away, as if he knew the open season for bucks during the gun season had ended two days ago. Only does were still legal in that area yesterday.

As he walked away, I thought about your post.

jbkebert
December 14, 2011, 10:39 PM
I saw the same buck this morning. I started late this am so I was able to go out and check my trap line in the light of morning. I am usually out with a flashlight checking the line. I crested a small hill and bumped him up at 35-40 yards. Same thing he just kinda trotted away in no real hurry about things. Nice to know he made it through rifle season and is still around.

I won't have time to hunt until Sunday but I will be in the stand long before the sun comes up.

nathan
December 14, 2011, 11:22 PM
Get there early next time and wait the wait. You should see it again.

castingdonkey
December 14, 2011, 11:44 PM
I don't think at 11 yards with a 158gr semi jacketed 357 that I could have kept myself from smashing a round through it's neck. But I am glad that you stayed with what you are comfortable with.

jbkebert
December 15, 2011, 12:24 AM
I have shot one deer in the neck with the same setup. The result was less than ideal. It required another bullet to finish the job after a hell of a tracking job. Since then i have taken two deer with my .357 mag by shooting the pocket. Both deer were recovered within 50-60 yards. I don't trust a .357 for neck shots even at short ranges. I would have tried to take that shot if my .44 mag was on my hip.

Davek1977
December 15, 2011, 11:48 AM
I've hunted deer EVERY year since it was legal for me to do so, making this year my 21st season. I've taken at least one buck each of those years, save one. The deer I've taken have provided a lot of memories.....but, in all honesty, the "close encounters" and "chance meetings" I've had with the giants that have gotten away provide just as good, if not better, memories. I've taken some really nice deer....by my standards anyway...over the years, and have some decent mounts of the wall. Yet, the ones that got away are what I find myself pondering and thinking about even years later. The story, for the most part, is over when you've put that arrow or bullet where it counts. The one's you've missed, or that you never got a shot at.....the ones that show up on your camera, but never in daylight.....the monster you spooked on the walk to your stand, or the one that crossed the road on your drive to camp. These deer have a way of living forever in your memory, and, in many ways are just as important to why I hunt as the ones I've taken

LoonWulf
December 16, 2011, 02:49 PM
Being who i am and hunting for the reasons i do, im more then likely to let a buck go on about his business......But MAN, if i dont enjoy seeing them wander by LOL.

Zombiphobia
December 17, 2011, 04:14 AM
that's not as bad as squatting to drop a duece with your rifle against a tree just out of reach when a monster buck strolls thru and continues out of sight...

41 Mag
December 17, 2011, 05:43 AM
that's not as bad as squatting to drop a duece with your rifle against a tree just out of reach when a monster buck strolls thru and continues out of sight...

I learned that lesson back in my youth, when I was still young enough I had to hunt with my pop, to NEVER set your rifle out of reach. He scared the bajeebers out of me one morning after he slipped out of the stand to take care of some "business". I was only about 8 at the time, and after the report of his '06 bout rattled the windows out of the stand, he hollers back to me, well I'm done, but I wasn't really sure about with what.....and wasn't about to run out to see :eek:

That same lesson is the only reason this one is on the wall,
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/58267830Amxrop_ph.jpg

I would like to add another moment to this thread however.

Year before last on the last evening of the last weekend of archery season I was hunting at my friends place. It is right along a river and as such the thick rich bottoms produce some VERY nice bucks. Well that particular weekend the river was out of it's banks and as such I was hunting a thin strip of timber which was between the river and a pasture, hoping to intercept a big rutting buck as he traveled through using the strip for cover.

After sitting in my stand with two thermocells running and still be eaten alive, I decided I had had enough and climbed down about 45 minutes before dark. I eased out to the tree line and out in the pasture were 6 bucks of varied sizes all jostling around some dozen or so does which were out feeding. I immediately concentrated my attention on two of the bigger ones.

THe one was a nice young wide and high typical 8, and the other was a HUGE old 9 point which I recognized as the one my friend had lost the year before after hitting it directly on the should with his arrow. He was thick as a mule and easily dwarfed the others in both body size and antler mass. They were out about 100 or so yards and I set up in a fallen tree top which allow me cover but also a good shot if I could get one close enough. I hit the grunt call and quickly followed up with a doe bleat, which centered the huge ol bucks attention directly on my position. He stopped broadside at about 75 yards, while the 8 point slipped around him and headed on across the pasture. The big ol monarch was clearly the bull of these woods.

Well he looked my way as I hit the grunt once more only a bit lighter, then he looked over to the 8 point which was now approaching the end of the pasture and another wood line. Then he started to move my direction, as I was starting to shiver with adrenalin. About this time his abruptly turned and headed away towards the 8 point who was standing there looking back. As he approached, I caught more moment from the other tree line and what I saw next completely ruined me for the day, well the rest of the year for that matter.

Out of the wood line steps this young buck, with a rack like I have never seen before. It had to easily be 20" in height, but no branching simply two stubs with tiny points sticking out everywhere. The REALLY impressive thing however was the mass, as they were easily 2" or more thick and simply looked like two fat ends of a baseball bat sticking up from his head. It shook me up so bad I had to sit flat on my rear to even look at him through my bino's, and I had to rest my arms on one of the limbs of the fallen tree I was sitting in.

To me this was the ultimate buck of a lifetime as there is no other like it anywhere. This is what I hunt for year after year, and there he was only 80yds from me with nothing between him and me but 2" tall grass across an open pasture. I was a total mess.

this year on more than one occasion, my friend and his wife both claim to have seen him and he is much better than then. They however haven't given him much though only saying he is nice, but not what they are looking for. I could easily consider hanging up my bow or rifle after getting one like tht as I knoew for sure there would be nothing to top him. I nicknamed him "Stickers" as there is not much other way to describe him. You can be though he will keep me hitting the woods as long as I know he is out there, and they have also reported he has offspring as well.

jbkebert
December 18, 2011, 04:18 PM
Went out this morning and gave her another shot. This is the biggest buck I saw today. This picture was taken a few weeks ago of the same deer. I think its a sweet picture though. Perhaps in a few years;)

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jbkebert/Deer20Caleb20Shot.jpg

I am heading back out tonight. Might be the last night I get to hunt this year. May as well go out swinging.

northalta
December 18, 2011, 04:36 PM
Been telling my 15 year old son who wants to shoot everything that if he shoots the little ones there will be no big ones to shoot. I have two days left on elk tag and seen a herd of 40 or more last week but wolves come through and scattered them.

jbkebert
December 18, 2011, 04:50 PM
I wish you luck on your last couple days of elk season.

That little buck came in to me this morning after chasing a couple does past me. I enjoyed watching him work back and forth. Never even thought about picking up my bow. When your kids are young and for there first couple deer. A small buck is just fine. After a few deer are under your belt its time to be a little more selective. No reason to hold out until you get a state record or something like that. There are plenty of 8 points in the woods that are still good eating and alot more challenging.

northalta
December 18, 2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks. He shot a pretty nice mulee this fall and we made a deal that we would shoot a doe before we shoot a small buck. The last few winters have been hard on the deer population and seen about half dozen or so 140" whitetails but decided we would like to see them get bigger as we didnt seem to have much hunting presure here. The elk i'm not to worried about because they will be in my hay bales pretty soon.

Bobson
December 18, 2011, 05:33 PM
Heck of a story. :)

Good on you to not be upset with your son. You sound like a good guy. Maybe the deer will be back for ya (or your son) in a later season. :D

jbkebert
December 18, 2011, 10:33 PM
Well Keigan and I headed out this evening. Funny it was 14 degrees this morning and 61 degrees tonight. So no threat of getting cold. I think sometimes Keigan confuses cold with bored. In the past I spend enough time in the woods that I can tell you. If you show up here at this time deer will start filtering into this feild at this time. You will have a max 200 yards shot. I can tell you this with probably 95% accuracy. So in the past rifle hunting it was pretty short and sweet affair.

In bowhunting everything changes. I can tell you when deer will move the most. But getting a deer to come by the stand I put you in and within range is a whole other story. So tonight I put Keigan in a pop up blind that has been there for almost a month now. The deer are not worried about it because it rarley gets hunted. I also had him take a game boy along. My son was still in veiw of me while I was hunting around 50 yards off. I had my choice between three does milling around from 7-20 yards waiting until just before last light to enter a feild. I declined to take a shot yet enjoyed my time in the woods.

Keigan said he didn't see anything tonight. Welcome to bowhunting son. We came home to a bottle of rootbeer for him and glass of Jameson and squirt for dad.

northalta
December 18, 2011, 10:53 PM
Sounds like a nice night. Unsure if deer are in the rut down there because we are about three weeks past.

jbkebert
December 18, 2011, 11:05 PM
No rut is in full swing around the second week of November in this neck of the woods. Might of been third week this year has been fairly warm. I have been seeing some signs of a wanning rut here and there. The main action is done.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you ever just want to cry." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!