Snake encounter

PDA

Sullyman
December 11, 2011, 08:29 AM
My wife was cleaning up brush and saw a snake. She called me over and it was a copperhead. So off to the safe to get my gun. I searched for the shot shells but they were not in the safe. So off to the house I go to search for them. Finally I locate them in the dresser in the bedroom. Meanwhile she is keeping an eye on the MONSTER snake. I get the gun loaded and can see just the tail peeking out of the brush. BAM! I investigate………it’s still moving around………………BAM!............. Second shot………….still moving………………..BAM third shot…………..barely moving so one more for good measure………..BAM………….no more snake………………….Cleared away the brush and there it lays………….deader than a door nail. It took one shot for every 2 inches in length………….LOL……..my wife said burglars could loot our house, call a taxi and wait for it by the time I got the gun ready , found ammunition and come to the rescue. Next time I’ll just get a shovel and hit it with that….It was rather humorous, but I did get to do some shooting that weekend after all….

If you enjoyed reading about "Snake encounter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sport45
December 11, 2011, 08:50 AM
Great story. I could almost picture the excitement of the moment. Got a good chuckle when I realized the length of the thing. :)

Shame you wasted 4 shot shells on it. Surely she had some kind of hand tool there for clearing brush.

JERRY
December 11, 2011, 09:02 AM
why werent you carrying your gun?

Lloyd Smale
December 11, 2011, 10:26 AM
sorry but if a copperhead was in my yard id be grabbing a 12 guage and the only reason a 12 is that i dont have a 10 guage!!!!

Water-Man
December 11, 2011, 10:44 AM
You saved the snake from all the struggles of growing up.;)

sixgunner455
December 11, 2011, 10:57 AM
Very funny story! Still giggling at the keystone-cops episode you just described. :D

Onliest snake I've killed on purpose, I used a square-nosed shovel. Cut its head off, scraped it up, and threw it in the trash. Little coral snake about the length of the copperhead you just killed, actually. :D

I thought about shooting one when I was hunting doves with my daughter once upon a time. It was a desert rattlesnake that was lying across a dirt road sunning itself. When I say, "lying across the dirt road", I mean, it was all the way across. There was about a foot of unoccupied real estate to the side of the road on the rattle-end, and a few inches on the sharp end, and he was about as big around as my wrist.

I thought about shooting him for his skin, since he was so stinking big, but, we just walked around the back end and went on our way. (I did have my shotgun aimed at his head while we did this). He s l o w l y lifted his head and looked at us, and just lay back down when we didn't seem to have any interest in him.

Only snake I ever thought about shooting.

Milamber
December 11, 2011, 01:35 PM
Reminds me of some people I knew in Wyoming. Hubby was in the shower and turns off the shower and goes to step out of the shower. He hears that distinctive rattle and quietly stepped back in the shower. Next he peers around the shower curtain and spots the rattler coiled up by the toilet. He shouts to his wife "there's a rattlesnake in bathroom", the wife opens the door and checks out the situation. She disappeared and return with a.357 Magnum. Snakes dead and they now have a huge hole in the bathroom floor! Hubby said he ears were ringing all day!

USAF_Vet
December 11, 2011, 02:17 PM
Haven't needed to kill a snake yet. Wife almost stepped on a rat snake in the yard this past summer. Big old thing. She shot him with the camera, and let him go on his merry way. Based on the pics it was close to, if not over, 5 feet long.

jbkebert
December 11, 2011, 02:27 PM
Love it. Would have been the same around my house.

We had a yote just loping acrossed a feild at about 150 yards. By the time i grabbed a rifle from the safe. Found the right box of ammo and got back outside a turtle could of walked over the horizon.

garyh9900
December 11, 2011, 02:42 PM
If I run up on a copperhead I generally just leave them alone.

MCgunner
December 11, 2011, 02:44 PM
sorry but if a copperhead was in my yard id be grabbing a 12 guage and the only reason a 12 is that i dont have a 10 guage!!!!

Jeez, them snakes must be huge man eaters....

Me, I'd just grab the garden hoe. Done it before. Might get me arrested to fire my 10 gauge in the middle of Corpus Christi.

Earlsbud
December 11, 2011, 02:50 PM
LOL! They will continue to move around long after they're dead. I picked up a headless Mojave Green rattler by the tail that I had dispatched. I was holding it over an old car hood that had been dumped in the desert. It kinked up and struck the car hood with enough force to make a very loud bang. Even though I had blown his head off it still scared the $^&#*! out of me!:what:

Fisherman_48768
December 11, 2011, 03:29 PM
Years ago while I was visiting my grand mother in Mississippi she was weeding her flower garden and started yelling. Cecil come quick, snake, Cecil , big snake etc etc. My uncle's name was Cecil and grand ma had one of those southern accents that made Cecil sound like she was saying SEEEEEEEEEEEEEECelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. Grand ma kept yelling snake and Cecil all the while chopping with a hoe. By the time my uncle got there, grand ma had a 3 ft water moccasin chopped into 1" chunks. That was too funny knowing that she had been killing snakes all of her 70 yrs while living on a farm next to the Tombigbee slough.

Flintknapper
December 11, 2011, 08:56 PM
Unfortunately, we have quite a few C-Heads where I live. For the most part…I leave them alone unless they take up residence near the house or my shop.

I used to just relocate them…but I was walking my Daughter’s Dachshund in the front yard last summer (night time) and he was bitten on the paw by one.

Since then, I’ve had strict instructions (from my Wife and Daughter) to kill all venomous snakes that cross the fence line from the pasture.

Found this one recently down near my shop.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/C-Head.jpg

These two little ones were discovered (again) while walking the dog one evening.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/Copperheads.jpg

This one came out from under a brush pile I was cutting with my chainsaw.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/ch1.jpg

TIP: If you plan to kill a Copperhead (or any snake) with a chainsaw remember this…USE THE TOP PART of the bar to engage the snake!

If you use the BOTTOM PART…the chain is moving toward you and WILL pull the snake right around your feet. :eek:

Depending upon how “Manly” you are…you might just jump back, or maybe scream like a Girl, but in either case…you’ll use the top of the bar next time. :rolleyes:

sixgunner455
December 11, 2011, 09:06 PM
Flint ... you are the only person I "know" who would have the experience to impart that particular piece of wisdom.

I was wondering, from the appearance of the corpse, if you hadn't just used the tool in your hand to kill that last one. I'm still laughing here, wiping tears. You are the man.

garyh9900
December 11, 2011, 09:12 PM
Those are some nice snakes... I find most people call any snake they see around here a copperhead. But those definitely are.

jbkebert
December 11, 2011, 09:20 PM
Flint

Does killing a snake with your chainsaw tend to dull the chain??:D

Nothing ticks me off like contacting the ground and dulling my chain faster than I can say darn.

joebogey
December 11, 2011, 09:42 PM
Flint

Does killing a snake with your chainsaw tend to dull the chain??

Nothing ticks me off like contacting the ground and dulling my chain faster than I can say darn.

Uh, who cares?
That's what they make chainsaw files for. :D

paintballdude902
December 11, 2011, 10:46 PM
ive gotten many with the .22 revolver. tons with the axe or shovel and a few with the shotgun.

i had a huuuuggggggeeeee water moccasin eating a fat rat one day while hiking the back part of the farm and when it saw me it stopped with the rat and start towards me.... that was the first kill i got with the m1 carbine.

it the snakes are within 100 yards of the barn, shop, house or 25ft from me and in my way they are dead. but im not going to go out of my way to find them or get to them

Pacsd
December 11, 2011, 11:22 PM
Biggest water moskin I ever saw was on Lake Calaveras south west of San Antone right after it was opened for public use. It was pulling two skiers and leavin a 3 foot wake. Honest injun.

Sport45
December 12, 2011, 05:00 AM
i had a huuuuggggggeeeee water moccasin eating a fat rat one day while hiking the back part of the farm and when it saw me it stopped with the rat and start towards me....

Are you saying it spit the rat out? I didn't know they could do that once they started.

303tom
December 12, 2011, 09:17 AM
Kill them all, snakes are evil...........

41 Mag
December 13, 2011, 04:54 AM
That's a pretty decent sized one there Flint, a lot like this one I caught out behind my tool shed at the farm. I was on the riding mower and this old thing was slowly making it's way across the freshly cut grass. I considered simply running over it but after thinking how long it had to have been around to get to over 3' long I simply relocated it to the creek bottom, to let it work things out with the hogs.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Misc/P1010047.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Misc/P1010046.jpg

These are the ones I really like to see,
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Hunting%2009/P1010043.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Hunting%2009/P1010044.jpg

The latter two were under some old round bales keeping warm. They weren't too frisky in the 50 degree temps that morning. They are a couple of medium sized ones that we have found. I have had them up to around 8' when all stretched out. I usually find at least one up around my shed when I am keeping feed in there during the spring and summer, and let these ones be, as they really do cut down on the rat and mouse population around the house and such.

lizziedog1
December 13, 2011, 07:19 AM
Kill them all, snakes are evil...........

Do you know that some nonvenomous snakes kill and eat venomous ones?

Many, many years ago, some researchers offered cash to folks in Southeast Asia for live cobras. They needed them for the venom for research.

These poor peasants were all too happy to not only get rid of these deadly critters, but also make a few bucks on the side.

They did a great job of rounding up the snakes. They did too good of a job.

Within a few months rats overran their lands. They devastated their rice crop.

Yes, an occasional villager was killed by a cobra. Without the cobras, the whole village was starving to death. Throw in the plague and other diseases carried by vermin and all of a sudden the cobras don't look so bad.

Flintknapper
December 13, 2011, 09:18 AM
41Mag,

That was a "hoss" of a Copperhead, big thick one. He was charmed to live long enough to get to that size, also had been eating well apparently. ;)

Good of you to relocate it. That one is a "Southern", we have the "Broadband" too, I am sure you do as well.

Agree about the Rat Snakes (aka Chicken Snake)...a very beneficial snake...but unfortunately a lot of them are killed when they show up around houses or outbuildings.

People get the Willies....over them because they get pretty darn big. They are a very docile snake however.

I've seen (and caught) some that were well over 6' while out mowing pastures, but the average I encounter is probably about 4'.

Sullyman
December 13, 2011, 06:40 PM
Only dispatch the venomous ones. Had two of these nonvenomous black snakes in the attic. They were relocated/set free. The wife can deal with mice better than snakes.

By the way I got shot shells for my .22 rather than the .38spec that I used on the copperhead. Allot cheaper per inch:):):):)

788Ham
December 14, 2011, 12:07 AM
A guy I was in the Navy with, Stroup, lived in Rolla, Missouri, being so hot, they leave the front door open, just the screen door closed. In the middle of the night he gets up to use the John. When he reaches for the paper roll, he hears this hissing sound, pulls his hand back, thinks its the toilet, so reaches back again, same thing, he leans forward and turns on the light and then looks back, a big Moccasin layin' by the crapper! He said "Ham, all I could do was holler snake when I jumped off that crapper and went through the screen door!" I asked him if he ever got the snake, "Hell, I don't know what happened to him, I slept in the pickup the rest of the night."

shiftyer1
December 14, 2011, 12:27 AM
I've been here 2 years and the first year was the year for snakes, holy cow I found copperheads everytime I mowed and many many more on the driveway. Copperheads, rattlesnake, cotton mouths and several non venomis snakes, this year I saw some in the driveway and only one copperhead and one rattlesnake in the yard. Although I didn't have to mow this year due to drought but i'm hoping my luck holds in the snake department :)

I keep a 22 revolver with rat shot for the small ones and my security-6 for the big ones. Yes a shovel works but i'm not often toteing a shovel around. My wife could tell you all about holes in the floor due to a snake found under our kitchen sink in the cupboard!!! Never knew snakes will take dead mice out of a trap. 3 mice to be exact, checked the traps and decided to have my coffee and wake up before I cleaned them up. Who knows how long that snake had been in the house. It took me a couple years before I stopped ratteling pots and pans before I just reached in a grabbed them!!!!

lizziedog1
December 14, 2011, 09:07 AM
I live in the high desert. I have been here for just over five years. This is rattlesnake country.

When I first moved here everyone was telling me about all the rattlesnakes they were seeing. Last summer I saw my first one.

It was on a trail I was on. It was early morning, it was cool enough that the thing hardly moved as I walked around it.

That is the only one I have seen here.

brnmuenchow
December 14, 2011, 12:25 PM
my wife said burglars could loot our house, call a taxi and wait for it by the time I got the gun ready
That is funny, but yeah I would put those in a place a little easier to find.
We have Rattlers and Copperheads all over Texas, and it's alway's at the back of my mind when I am out walking around.

hiker44
December 14, 2011, 05:30 PM
We must have a rattlesnake den near here, because we see a couple a week during summer months. I made some snake sticks from mop handles with a piece of 1/4" plated steel bent and glued into a hole in the working end. I keep them in the truck, on the deck, in the barn and on the ATV. I also keep one revolver loaded with CCI snake shot ready to go in the safe, and another on my belt when I'm outside. Wifey prefers the 20 gauge by the back door and the dog has been to snake aversion training. We got it covered.

Flintknapper
December 14, 2011, 06:27 PM
Hiker44 wrote:

and the dog has been to snake aversion training.

My Daughter’s Dachshund has had Snake Aversion training too (home schooled and unintentional though). ;)

In fact, I was walking him at his very first “class” (Copperhead bit him).

I guess he’s a Quick Study….because he most definitely has an “aversion” to snakes now.

Actually, he will jump straight up in the air and yelp a little if even a grasshopper springs up on him.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/Otis_Snake_Bite_1.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/Otis_Snake_Bite_2.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/Otis_Snake_Bite_3.jpg

memphisjim
December 14, 2011, 06:41 PM
i was once surveying in slow moving shallow creek
the entire area was infested with water mocasins so much that it got scary walking around at one point a black snake sneaks up behind me in the creek after running like a school girl i returned with a jo blade and decapitated it the body continued moving for well over an hour it wasnt a water mocasin but the whole crew was wanting some snake blood

41 Mag
December 15, 2011, 06:18 PM
41Mag,

That was a "hoss" of a Copperhead, big thick one. He was charmed to live long enough to get to that size, also had been eating well apparently.

Good of you to relocate it. That one is a "Southern", we have the "Broadband" too, I am sure you do as well.

Agree about the Rat Snakes (aka Chicken Snake)...a very beneficial snake...but unfortunately a lot of them are killed when they show up around houses or outbuildings.

People get the Willies....over them because they get pretty darn big. They are a very docile snake however.

Yea Flint, those copperheads usually are only about a foot and a half for the most part, but they will still make ya plenty sick. That one I figured had been around for a good long time keeping out of everyones way, so I figured it ought to be relocated, rather than beheaded. Yea it was a good healthy one at that, been putting plenty of mice and rats away, probably plenty of moles as well.

As for those black ones yea they get pretty long for sure. I have a pic which you probably sw on my Webshots deal of one that when it stretched out was about 10" or so shy of filling up a 10' joint of 1 1/2" pvc. I chased it up into the stack of wood and he wouldn't budge so I headed over to get the wife to show it to her. When I cam back he was gone, so I reached in to pick up the pipe I was trying to use to get him out of the lumber, and it was WAY heavier than before. Sure enough he crawled right in there. We capped up both ends with rags and released him down on another 10 acres of ours.

We had another one one time in the shed coiled up behind some plywood standing against the wall. I kept hearing this buzzing sound when I would walk in there and finially looked behind the wood. He was all the way in the back corner of the shed. I got the wife to hold the plywood as I poked it with a rake handle. I told her "here he comes", and she replied "well he has been going around the corner of the shed for a while now", and I was still pokin him. I sure wished I could have caught that one he as a monster. He was stretched out over 8' behind the plywood and some more going around the door frame, and under the shed.

The wife, kid, and grandsons all know to leave them be, but to come get me if they find one or to just leave if I am not there. I try my best to show them which ones are harmful, so they at least keep an eye on them. We all keep a equal respect in that if they don't mess with us we won't mess with them, well to much anyway. I did make an ol milk snake so mad once it finally climbed straight up a big oak tree. That was pretty amazing to watch.

If you enjoyed reading about "Snake encounter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!