Condor recovery program beset by bullets

PDA

popper
December 14, 2011, 01:34 PM
I guess Nevada wants to get into the 'non-lead' bullet business. Claiming the condor death is due to lead remaining in animals shot with lead bullets and left for scavengers. http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/12/04/2297569/condor-recovery-program-beset.html#storylink=mirelated

If you enjoyed reading about "Condor recovery program beset by bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
desidog
December 14, 2011, 05:39 PM
Normally when biologists say something like that, they have multiple specific examples to back it up....i don't see any mention of studies or anything here.

Is this actually a documented fact? If so, i'd like to see a link.

/I'd imagine that the myriad other forms of environmental pollution would factor in to the equation in a much larger way than eating bullets out of hunter's non-recovered animals... especially since the bird would pass the bullet before ingesting all of the lead in it!

In a sick way, (because it would inhumane to the test subject), i'd like to see a study where a turkey (or other bird of similar weight) is intentionally fed lead round balls every day, once a week, once a month, etc...could you match the results? I doubt it.

Art Eatman
December 14, 2011, 07:51 PM
Probably oughta do some testing on buzzards. A condor is pretty much the same critter, but larger. Same sort of stomach acids.

Personally, I don't see how there's enough lead available to a condor to have any real effect. Not that much lead in "innards", which is what's left in the field, and coyotes and such usually are first on the scene.

This is about the third or fourth thread on this subject, so save any ranting for some other website...

lizziedog1
December 14, 2011, 08:12 PM
I really, really think that this is a back door way to ban hunting.

I am surprised they haven't linked the burning of gun powder to global warming. I won't be surprised when they do.:confused:

langenc
December 16, 2011, 04:31 PM
Yes and several bullet makers are leading the charge w/ lead free bullets.

I am surprised that more 'areas' have not been made lead free for shotgun shells for all species hunting.

I also believe more ducks/geese are lost due to crippling than from lead ingestation.

devildog66
December 18, 2011, 08:46 AM
I think that the whole lead ingestion issue is so much bovine excrement that is nothing more than another restriction for hunting. During the 70s, more lead was emitted from LA traffic in one day than was EVER emitted from gun barrels... Studies about lead leeching from outdoor ranges shows minimal effect on the surrounding area. By minimal, I mean nothing harmful and barely measurable. No doubt that more waterfowl have been wounded or crippled by steel shot not being effective whereas lead shot would have been.

If you enjoyed reading about "Condor recovery program beset by bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!