Range report - Smith carbine

PDA

TheWall
December 14, 2011, 04:41 PM
I finally was able to get out to the range today for a little bit and shot my Pietta Smith carbine. I was able to do pretty well using 28 grains of Goex 2F with .515 bullet inside a plastic case from Dixie Gun Works. Bullets were lubed with SPG.

The 1st target was shot at 50 yards, seated.

The 2nd target was also shot at 50 yards, but standing. On the 2nd target I taped the top of a pretzel barrel to the target. As you can see, it got pretty shot up...

Always nice to be able to make some smoke -- especially after being away from the range for a few months!

If you enjoyed reading about "Range report - Smith carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Inverness11
December 14, 2011, 04:52 PM
Interesting rifle and sounds like a great time igniting some of the Holy Black! Any more info on the bullet and tube loading process?

TheWall
December 14, 2011, 04:59 PM
The plastic Smith cases from Dixie work great and are re-usuable! I fill each case with about 28 grains of Goex 2f, then press an SPG lubed Smith bullet into the case. Presto!

Simply crack open the Smith (like a shot gun), insert the cartridge, close, add percussion cap and fire away! My Smith is accurate out to 100 yards. I have not tried any longer shots because that's the maximum distance at my shooting range.

Great fun to shoot!

Lunie
December 14, 2011, 05:42 PM
Any chance we could get some more pics of the rifle??? :D

TheWall
December 14, 2011, 05:53 PM
Here you go...

72coupe
December 14, 2011, 08:05 PM
That is really interesting and looks new.

Jim Watson
December 14, 2011, 08:11 PM
Might be because it IS new.
Made by Pietta in Italy, not American Machine Works or American Arms Co. in the USA.

TheWall
December 14, 2011, 08:46 PM
I got it this past February for my 50th birthday. It's become my favorite shooter!

Jaymo
December 15, 2011, 12:50 AM
I'd like to have a repro Smith and Sharps.
I'm a sucker for break-opens and falling blocks.

Voodoochile
December 15, 2011, 06:59 AM
I now wish I didn't sell mine some 10 odd years ago... :(

Nice shooting bud.

arcticap
December 15, 2011, 12:26 PM
It was mentioned in the OP that the bullets are .515 minie balls.
Are they like the ones that Dixie sells that weigh 280 grains?

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_99_311_313&products_id=1349&osCsid=b1343b04a5963e4488d5fbea7e9c884d

kBob
December 15, 2011, 12:29 PM
Is that all the powder the Dixie cartridges will hold or are you using some sort of filler?

I seem to recall that the originals also used a copper foil and paper one use cartridge and wonder if sosmething like that might be made to hold more powder and just to be more original like.

I understand that the biggest complaint about the originals was that the big flat spring that serves to lock the barrel group to the reciever sometimes broke. I also seem to recall that the main reason for that was poorly trained troopers trying to pry the spring up off the locking stud rather than pushing the release in the trigger guard.

Thanks for shareing this carbine with us. Neat gun.

-kBob

TomADC
December 15, 2011, 03:57 PM
First time I shot mine I loaded 38.7 grs of 3g it came to 1/4 from top of case then seated the bullet until it touched the powder with just a tad pressure, shot okay, but then on advice from a long time Smith shooter I dropped down to 28 grs 3g with COW filler to 1/4 from top of case seated bullet as before the rifle became a joy to shoot good accuracy very light recoil. I put a little 1/4 dia happy face sticker over the hole in the end of the case to keep the powder from leaking out, the cap just comes thru it no problem. I use the plastic cases also.

gyvel
December 15, 2011, 05:04 PM
Excuse the ignorance, but what is "SPG?" (Your bullet lube.)

Also, do you know what the bullet weight is?

TheWall
December 15, 2011, 05:26 PM
I use a .515, 350 grain Smith bullet from S&S Firearms. Great people to deal with and good prices.

I've experimented the past 10 months with different loads and have tried 3F goex.

For me and this carbine, 28 grains of Goex 2F in the Dixie cases work fine. No need for COW filler, although I have used a little COW in some cartridges. Can't detect any difference.

May just be what this gun likes...

It is a ton of fun to shoot and would probably be more accurate if I practiced a bit more. Again, this was my first time back at the range in a couple of months. Wish I had the time to shoot on a regular basis...

TheWall
December 15, 2011, 05:27 PM
By the way, check out S&S at www.ssfirearms.com or call them at 718-497-1100.

Zeke/PA
December 15, 2011, 11:50 PM
A few years back a Buddy inherited an ORIGIONAL Smith Carbine in pristine condition.
Somewhere he found some cartridges cases that I duplicated from brass.
We used around 50 grains of FFG ,hand seated the home cast bullet and put a piece of scotch tape over the flash hole.
I don't remember much about the bullet mould except that it was well made and he purchased it at a Civil War re-enactment.
At first, the rifle shot really high at 50 yards but we played with the sights to compensate.
About 3" groups at 50 yds. was it for accuracy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range report - Smith carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!