ducks today

PDA

interlock
December 15, 2011, 08:42 AM
Well guys in about 2 hours i will be getting my kit and dog ready and heading down to the humber estuary for some coastal wildfowling.

Anyone want to come? The only hitch is you need to be here when i leave....

If you enjoyed reading about "ducks today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ultradoc
December 15, 2011, 08:54 AM
Good hunting

MCgunner
December 16, 2011, 09:13 PM
I did my first duck hunt Thursday morning. Man, I woke up at 2AM and couldn't sleep I was so anxious to go. I hadn't hunt, but once last year and it wasn't good. Shot my limit by about 8:45AM. Started out slow, but it stayed steady enough to fill a 6 bird limit, though they weren't real great ducks except for one green wing teal. I had 2 blue bill (AKA lesser scaup), two ruddy ducks, and a bufflehead drake. Main thing is I had a BLAST! It was hot, though. Cold front blue in last night and chilled things out. I will go again before our season ends. :D I've been so busy deer/hog hunting I've been neglecting my favorite hunting....waterfowl, specifically ducks. :D

MCgunner
December 17, 2011, 07:29 PM
Well? Interlock? Good hunt, bad hunt, or in between? How'd it go?

interlock
December 20, 2011, 04:42 PM
ok McGunner,
Shoot report. the tide was fully out, no wind really - not good conditions. I had an apprentice wildfowler with me that i was "mentoring". So we went to the marsh ans i took the oppurtunity to show Ian around and talk a bit about the game of coastal wildfowling. We sat for a while on the point of the marsh overlooking the main estuary. the river is pretty big there. about 2-300 yards into the river is a big sandbank. this is only out at low tide. this sand bank is a roost for wigeon, teal, pinkfoot and greylag geese. we sat and i explained that when the tide flooded the sand bank the birds on there would come off and look for alternative accomodation. Maybe give us a passing shot.
anyway, that didn't happen. we moved to some small tidal pools and waited for the flight... and what a flight it was!

The teal came thick and fast out of the gloaming. It was really dark and when they appeared they were really close and fast. but they were so dificult... i must have taken 15-20 shots and hit one drake. the duck came in packs and ones and twos. they came fast but quite high in the still air, They were silhoutted nicely against some clouds that reflected the lights of the city of Hull.

Daisy retrieved pretty well as always. Pretty soon the flight was over and it was time to head home. I towelled down daisy and we sat in the car drinking a coffee. I explained that this was not normal for coastal wild fowling.

The only problem is that daisy was very stiff later with a bad shoulder. she is nearly 8 now. I guess this is her last season....

fortunately we have her daughter Ruby who will be working next season. Daisy can retire to the sofa.

Steve

MCgunner
December 22, 2011, 04:52 PM
Nice report! Wish more guys here did waterfowl. I love to hear the tales from around the world on waterfowling. We seem to share a lot of the same species and where I hunt is coastal marsh, too, in a river delta. Lots of salt marsh vegetation, Spartina species and reeds and rushes. The first hole is fresh, just off Hog Bayou, and there's fresh water type birds, Mallards and Mergansers and Woodies and such in there, only hole on the place that has such birds in any number, but it's very hit and miss and few hunt it. I have a Mallard on my wall I shot there in '88, though. It CAN be good hunting. What I like about it is the Willows and stuff that grow back in there, sorta like hunting flooded timber you see on the Tube in Arkansas. :D

I've had one good dog in my life, a black Lab, and he got run over accidentally by my late wife. I'd like to get another, but I live in Corpus Christi in the city, now, and keeping a big dog is not a task I care to undertake until such time as I can relocate if that ever happens. I'm having a hard time selling my land so that I can buy inland, but ya know, the hunting is GREAT on that little place and I've been wanting to dig a tank (Texan for pond) back in the back and I know if I had one back there, I'd have my own private duck hunting spot because when it's wet back there, the ducks pile in.

Oh, well, nice report! You posted some pix some time ago, looked a might different than where I hunt, not as much and different vegetation. But, I'll hunt anywhere for ducks, even the open bay for redheads and pintail. :D I do prefer the small water, though, less hassle for an aging wing shooter.

If you enjoyed reading about "ducks today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!