New to me 6mm Remington

PDA

DUNEZRUNNER
December 18, 2011, 01:12 AM
I just bought a new to me Ruger Mark II chambered in 6mm Remington. I went out to buy me a couple of boxes of ammo and it was as much for 40 rounds as the new componets to reload over a 100 rounds were. So I just bought me some new dies and brass and bullets.

Now to the questions. I bought sierra 100 gr. SBT and I have Varget and IMR4831 powders to choose from. The brass I bought was new Winchester brass, so...

Should I just load up some middle of the road loads and go out and have some fun or should I make up a bunch of different loads and try to work up a load using this new brass. And what powder would you recommend me doing this with.

Also if anybody has any pointers on loading for this gun they would be appreciated too.

Thanks

Thomas

If you enjoyed reading about "New to me 6mm Remington" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GTS Dean
December 18, 2011, 01:26 AM
Get a manual, find a load chart for your components. Start at about 1/3 of the powder charge range and load groups of 4 rounds, increasing powder charge about 0.4gr per group and find the tightest grouping combo. You can either call it good from there, or get serious about splitting hairs.

DUNEZRUNNER
December 18, 2011, 01:29 AM
GTS Dean,

I understand all of that. I have a couple of manuals and I have worked up loads before. I have never done it with brand new brass though and didn't know how it would compare to the once fired brass that I have worked up the loads with before.

Thanks

Thomas

GTS Dean
December 18, 2011, 01:41 AM
Sorry-

You're gonna need to expand the brass anyway. I'd make the effort count by laddering from the get-go if you neck size.

DUNEZRUNNER
December 18, 2011, 01:49 AM
Thanks thats what I was thinking, I just didn't know how big of a difference the accuracy was going to be from the factory size brass to the once fired neck sized brass.

flhtcuibyhd
December 18, 2011, 03:52 PM
I've been loading and shooting a Rem 788 in 6mm. I have not tried the two powders you mentioned but have settled on IMR4064 and Hornady's 100 BTSP. I get the best results a couple grains less than listed manual limit and achieving a little over 2850 fps average. I have some 75gr V-Max's but have not had a chance to really work with them yet.

I have used remington and winchester brass and have seen no real difference in performance, so just use them interchangably at this point with WLR primers.

beefyz
December 18, 2011, 07:58 PM
hi tom....reloading for a 6mm is no more difficult than any other caliber. i started with the 6mm exactly 1 yr ago. had always wanted one. impressed with the idea of being able to have a wide range of bullets/ballistics that could be used either varminting/big game. but i was especially impressed with the suppossed accuracy potential. to date, i have not been that happy. first of all, my 6mm rem 700 special edition run was defective right out of the box; bad bolt. although remington fixed it under warranty, it has not been the tack driver that i expected. i've had some luck with a 80gr sp & the hornady 87 vmax, but its been spotty. always seems to be 1-2 flyers in each grp of 4-5 that i shoot. powders that have worked best so far have been h4895& imr4064. i've also used h4350, varget, & imr3031. this next year i hope to be a bit more serious in working up loads for this 6mm. it hasn't been as easy as i though it would. hope you have better luck.

DUNEZRUNNER
December 18, 2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I worked up some loads using hodgdon's website. I started at the bottom powder charge and worked all the way up to .3 grs over the max charge at .5 grains apart. I got my best accuracy at the top end of the charges and I think I settled at 38.5 grs of varget. My accuracy seemed to be about nickle sized groups for 3 shots and then open up to 1.5" groups for 5 shots. The barrel isn't free floated so I am thinking that this is some of the problem. Also it only has a 4x scope on it and I can't hardly see the bullseye to get a real consistent aim. I am going to switch out scopes for next time and when I take it hunting.

Thanks

Thomas

Uncle Grinch
December 18, 2011, 09:48 PM
My son and I use the 6mm Rem with Varget and Nosler 55 gn Ballistic tips for prarrie dogs in South Dakota. They chrono at 4012 fps and reek havoc.

If you enjoyed reading about "New to me 6mm Remington" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!