Dillon X-Small Powder Bar

PDA

dashootist
December 18, 2011, 10:10 PM
Does the extra small throw more accurate charge than the small? Dillon says to use XS for charge of less than 3 grains. I've been reloading 2.4 grains of Universal Clays and 2.7 grains Bullseye on the small. I've also reloaded 2.0 grains of Bullseye on the small once. I wonder if the consistency of the extra small is worth the hassle of changing out the bar.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dillon X-Small Powder Bar" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rfwobbly
December 18, 2011, 10:45 PM
I don't use the X-small but it makes sense that it would be more consistent with its "drops" than the standard pistol bar.

Most people I know go ahead and get a second Dillon powder measure for separate powder bars and avoid the hassle of changing over.

Another way to possibly get more consistent (or at least a finer adjustment) on smaller loads is to fit one of those blue plastic powder knobs like they sell on Ebay.

cfullgraf
December 18, 2011, 11:28 PM
The Dillon extra small charge bar is the same dimensions as the standard small charge bar. The chamber is cut a slightly different shape.

I bought one to load 380 ACP on a Dillon SDB but have not used it yet, haven't loaded any 380 ACP since I bought the charge bar either.

jmorris
December 20, 2011, 12:32 PM
I only have one load under 3 grains and don't own an X small bar.

I also don't have a bunch of extra measures, just powder bars. I leave them preset with their respective tool head, it only takes one bolt to swap them out once the measure is off.

MtnCreek
December 20, 2011, 12:45 PM
I only have one load under 3 grains and don't own an X small bar.

I also don't have a bunch of extra measures, just powder bars. I leave them preset with their respective tool head, it only takes one bolt to swap them out once the measure is off.

I guess nothing changes when taking it off and re-installing. When you swap one out does it give the same charge as before or do you need to fine tune it?
Thanks!

jmorris
December 20, 2011, 12:47 PM
I check them every time but never have had to adjust them unless I changed the charge size

If you enjoyed reading about "Dillon X-Small Powder Bar" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!