Winchester 94 30-30 Take-down Assistance Needed

PDA

Onael
December 20, 2011, 02:42 PM
Hi guys,

Can anyone please advise me on how to go about taking out the Finger Lever Pin Stop Screw out of my newly acquired rifle? It's seized up pretty good and it's just about stripped out. I've already ordered a new screw so I'm not worried about saving the screw. My goal is to strip it down and re-blue it, but I need to strip it down first.

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 94 30-30 Take-down Assistance Needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 20, 2011, 05:15 PM
#1 A gunsmith screwdriver bit that fits it exactly.
#2 A drop or two of penetrating oil.
#3 A small hammer.
#4 A drill press.

First put the penetrating oil on the screw, then take the screwdriver bit, put it in the screw, and whack it several times with the hammer. That will jar the screw threads enough to loosen rust and get the oil started soaking in.
Let it soak overnight.
Then whack it with the bit & hammer some more.

Then chuck the screwdriver bit in the drill press, and use it to hold downward pressure on the screwdriver bit while you turn the drill chuck by hand.

Either the screw will come out, or the bit will break, one or the other.

But it won't slip out and make things worse.

rc

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
December 20, 2011, 06:15 PM
Or you can spring 15 or so bucks for one of these. Impact Driver. Works great. Follow RC's advise on the penetrating oil over night, then apply one of these little buggers. As he said, it will either break or back out. If it breaks, you will then need to drill it out if you can't get a "back out" to grip it and get it out. If that were to happen and you don't feel your machining skills are up to snuff, take it to a good smith. They are used to this happening and have the tools to deal with it.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/-WWeF5dOJkXK7CyzSYAgEfiYg7Rgc_GQMYG99yoKzuSRT6dyyAF9dzMUicUq_FEgfeSKmVIdXnlNt7P9iQakVPUsWHFIq3V4ZtNSxBEcKpLgkRfdTK8A8C2b61Q60SlReIqsTNqbQUax23gNqoeVwJ-O55HHApcRfD9SW3S8iJsweXYISjQSfm7Y4tHZ3tdhOTJIDVO9zIEu-CeljkfyL8QxKL8jyakFSzeLghE

Ghost Tracker
December 20, 2011, 06:32 PM
Patience is your friend on this project. Lose it & all is for nought. If you're an experienced tinkerer then press-on (pardon the pun). If not, this may not be the best project for OJT.

W.E.G.
December 20, 2011, 06:48 PM
#1 A gunsmith screwdriver bit that fits it exactly.

This is the critical element.

Until you are SURE you have step #1 correct, do not proceed.

Always be sure to use a hollow-bit.
Never use a taper bit.

comparison of screwdriver tip profiles found via Google images
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/WECSOG/screwdrivertiptypes.jpg

win71
December 20, 2011, 09:28 PM
Then chuck the screwdriver bit in the drill press, and use it to hold downward pressure on the screwdriver bit while you turn the drill chuck by hand.
Now that there is one of the best tricks I've seen. For any tight screw, as long as the tight guy can be put on a drill press table.

I will use this little pearl of wisdom.

Onael
December 21, 2011, 12:33 AM
I gotta get a drill press. Just about every can be resolved with a drill press. I failed at the patience part. I ended up drilling through it and hammering a flat-tip in the hole. It still took some serious effort, but it ended up coming loose. Needless to say, the screw is ruined. Good thing I got another on the way.

Thanks guys.

Art Eatman
December 21, 2011, 09:52 AM
Problem solved. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 94 30-30 Take-down Assistance Needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!