Shooting ranges near New Orleans?

PDA

blue_ridge
December 21, 2011, 12:52 PM
I am considering a moving to New Orleans for my job. I know some people there, but not sure if any of them are into guns. I was wondering what the area has to offer for shooting ranges and activities. I'd be interested in IDPA, F-class, maybe some skeet or clays and just general plinking.

Also, any advice on neighborhoods would be appreciated too, especially if it puts me closer to the shooting range :) I know many people commute across Lake Pontchartrain from Mandeville, Lacombe etc. Any insight would be much appreciated. Bringing wife and two young kids.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting ranges near New Orleans?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
inclinebench
December 21, 2011, 02:59 PM
I used to live in N.O. and now live in the Blue Ridge mountains. There used to be a few indoor ranges near the city, but honestly, since Katrina, I have no idea. Pearl River had an outdoor range that was pretty decent, but again, this was prior to the storm. As for safe neighborhoods, the city is peculiar that way. Very little seperates good neighborhoods from bad ones. If you live in the city, assume you are always close to some bad folks. Moving to the burbs might be a better idea if you have young kids, and are not a native of the area.

blue_ridge
December 21, 2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks. Would be nice to know if Pearl River was still in business. Anyone know?

Matthew Courtney
December 21, 2011, 05:19 PM
If you have kids, commuting will be cheaper than private schools. You do not want to send your kids to public schools in New Orleans. As far as places to shoot, there are no outdoor ranges south of the Lake.

Salty1
December 21, 2011, 06:59 PM
After hearing the latest news regarding New Orleans and a request to have the National Guard come back to patrol it sounds to me like the streets there are shooting ranges... I sure hope that the job will be reqarding and wish you the best...

LeonCarr
December 21, 2011, 07:07 PM
I used to have to go to NOLA once a month for meetings. Happiness is New Orleans in the rear view mirror. There is a reason 60% of Katrina evacuees never returned.

If this is your dream job, live in the burbs or Mississippi and drive back and forth. The comments about the schools are spot on. I know people that live in NOLA and work three jobs to keep their kids in private schools.

A google search of one of the various places to shoot/range locator websites should give you the answers you seek.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

fallingbird
December 21, 2011, 09:42 PM
As for ranges, Pearl River is alive and well and better than ever. Only problem is that it's located in a WMA, and you need a valid hunting or fishing license to enter. That could be expensive in the beginning for a non-resident.
The sporting clay range is High Point, just south of Belle Chasse.
There is South Louisiana Gun Club in Bridge City fore true skeet.

I used to live in NOLA, but moved to the 'burbs in '89. The east bank of Jefferson parish is a decent place to live, but the only good public schools are the 'magnet' schools. Your kids would have to test very well to get in. Catholic schools offer good education @ 5-7k per year. Private schools can be as high as 17-19k per year.

Commuting from the Northshore is an option, and the public schools are good. The commute to the CBD is about an hour.

There are some shooters, but the vast majority of sportsmen here fish inshore saltwater and hunt ducks. Personally, I like to hunt snipe and pick my days to go fishing (I don't hate them that much anymore).

WNTFW
December 21, 2011, 09:55 PM
Honey Island
Bayou Dragon - indoor
Palo Alto
Shooter's Club - indoor
Gretna Gun - indoor

I will think of some more. Some I go to but don't know the official name.

PM sent

ETA: I have not listed some that are Sheriffs office ranges. These have either events or are schedued open to the public at times.

South of the Lake there are some ranges.

blue_ridge
December 22, 2011, 03:43 AM
Thanks for al the info. We have no intention of living in the city proper. We know a few people in Lacombe and Slidell, so we may look there first. I'd be commuting to Harvey, so any advice on good towns to live in and commute from would be much appreciated.

fallingbird
December 22, 2011, 06:13 AM
Slidell would be an easier commute to Harvey. Shorter, no Causeway tolls, better lake bridge that dosen't get shut down by fog or weather. Plus, you're a stones throw from the Honey Island range.

Steve Raacke
December 23, 2011, 02:22 AM
Try logging in to the forums at Bayou Shooter dot com. They are the largest La specific web forum and have regular threads on IDPA matches in Amite and USPSA in Gonzales and other cities. There's other ranges and clubs too. Lots of members in the "Northshore" area where you will be living. You will find lots of help there to get started in your new home.
Steve
La Open Carry Awareness League
www.laopencarry.org

catnphx
December 23, 2011, 07:41 AM
Check this link out ... it shows shooting ranges all over the country.

www.wheretoshoot.org (http://www.wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/index.asp)

Good luck!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting ranges near New Orleans?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!