How to store in an ammo can

PDA

nachosgrande
December 21, 2011, 07:00 PM
Is it OK to have ammo rolling around free in an ammo can, or is it best to leave it in the original boxes?

If you enjoyed reading about "How to store in an ammo can" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hardtarget
December 21, 2011, 07:18 PM
If there isn't enough ammo to nearly fill the can I would rather have it in boxes to prevent damage. I just don't like stuff rolling and rattling around. Maybe you could put a towel in first to cushion the ammo. Or leave it in boxes.

Mark

The Lone Haranguer
December 21, 2011, 07:32 PM
I can't think of any constant, repetitive motion a can of loose ammo would be subjected to in your home. It can't be damaged just sitting on a shelf or floor.

EddieNFL
December 21, 2011, 07:34 PM
Been using ammo cans for storage and transport for decades.

rcmodel
December 21, 2011, 07:34 PM
Or put it in Zip-Lock bags so it doesn't roll around.

Yea!
Thats the ticket!

rc

wrs840
December 21, 2011, 07:47 PM
As usual, rc has a great solution...

Jeff H
December 21, 2011, 10:15 PM
Or put it in Zip-Lock bags so it doesn't roll around.

yep. It works well and is cheaper and more compact than regular ammo boxes, but I do have some boxes that hold about 250 loose 9mm rounds that fit nicely in 50cal ammo cans but I use mostly bags.

mokin
December 21, 2011, 10:42 PM
Fifty caliber ammo cans are heavy when full...

W.E.G.
December 21, 2011, 10:46 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/reloading/ammocanwithlabel.jpg

nachosgrande
December 21, 2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks everyone. Again you come through with a great solution.

bigfatdave
December 22, 2011, 12:14 AM
Fifty caliber ammo cans are heavy when full... particularly when full of .22lr ... not sure if it an ammo/packaging ratio or lead/volume ratio, but I about tore my arm out with a 50cal sized plastic can of .22lr, I mix the CCI-style boxes and bulk cartons now, the 100x boxes aren't packed as densely.

---

OP:
pack the boxes in until you're out of room, then baggie up identical ammo and leave a box end flap in the baggie. If you actually have enough of the exact same ammo to fill an entire can, tape the box to the inside of the lid and either fill it loose or use baggies. I like to take my plinking ammo to the range in known quantities, for some reason, if I really got motivated I suppose I could have a scoop in the boxes of .22lr and 9x19 to fill range containers with. I do sometimes dump the remains of bulk .22lr into a retired 2-cup food container (ziplock screw-top) for the next range trip if the box is too ratty to survive another week in the range bag. Centerfire containers tend to be a bit sturdier, I rarely need an intermediate container, and tend to pack the boxes into ammo cans because I have a wider variety of centerfire.

Blue Line
December 22, 2011, 10:50 AM
I just leave it in the boxes it came in so I know the grain bullet etc but I dont buy in bulk. I have several calibers stored together in the original packaging. If its all the same grain bullet and caliber then the baggie would work ok.

MD_Willington
December 22, 2011, 05:25 PM
loose with a desiccant bag in there, I collect the new desiccant bags from the trash cans at work, every time someone gets new gear there is usually a bag of it in there.

Lex Luthier
December 22, 2011, 06:49 PM
I have several calibers stored in traditional ammo boxes in both original boxes and and zip locks. Labeling the contents on a new piece of masking tape is a simple way to stay squared away. The problem now is where to keep all those green cans without tripping over them.

EddieNFL
December 22, 2011, 06:50 PM
Fifty caliber ammo cans are heavy when full...

Switch to .30 cal cans. Easily hold 600 rounds of .45 ACP

I just leave it in the boxes it came in so I know the grain bullet etc but I dont buy in bulk.

My ammo doesn't come in boxes.

bigfatdave
December 22, 2011, 09:13 PM
The problem now is where to keep all those green cans without tripping over them.build a throne out of the cans

Switch to .30 cal cans. Easily hold 600 rounds of .45 ACPYep
"30-cal" cans for stuff I keep some of on hand, "50-cal" for stuff I stock in serious bulk quantities.

W.E.G.
December 22, 2011, 09:32 PM
loading bench ballast and buttress

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/reloading/2010-11-12-reloadingbenchsmaller.jpg

moxie
December 22, 2011, 10:10 PM
Those big huge plastic vitamin jars are also perfect for loose ammo storage.

Inebriated
December 23, 2011, 12:34 AM
My 12 Gauge ammo is stored in cans stacked neatly, and I just pull off the top when I need some. It's the most space-efficient way. Annoying to sit and stack each round? Incredibly.

My other calibers just stay loose, except my .22LR and odds/ends can, which is just boxes.

Dr.Rob
December 23, 2011, 09:12 PM
I use 30 cal cans for storage. I put dessicant packs in them if the ammo is going to sit for a while.

sleepercaprice1
December 24, 2011, 08:34 AM
I pack mine similar to W.E.G's method. I bag the ammo in ziplocks in convenient quantities with a label identifying the load. One thing I've started doing is masking and spraying the bottom and about 1" up the sides of my cans with pick-up bed liner. It seems to help with rust on the cans and sliding around in the back of the Jeep.

Wildbillz
December 24, 2011, 08:37 AM
One thing I've started doing is masking and spraying the bottom and about 1" up the sides of my cans with pick-up bed liner. It seems to help with rust on the cans and sliding around in the back of the Jeep.

sleepercaprice1
I like that idea, I am going to have to give that one a try. If you could get the bedliner in differant colors you could even color code the cans.

WB

goon
December 24, 2011, 04:24 PM
I poured .22LR out the bulk packs and into an ammo can before. It resulted in one hell of a heavy ammo can!
Didn't hurt the ammo or the can any, but sadly, I've now depleted all of that .22 ammo.

IndispensableDestiny
December 24, 2011, 11:03 PM
I use 30 cal cans for storage.

I first read that as 30 gallon cans!

ShawnC
December 24, 2011, 11:43 PM
I pack mine similar to W.E.G's method. I bag the ammo in ziplocks in convenient quantities with a label identifying the load. One thing I've started doing is masking and spraying the bottom and about 1" up the sides of my cans with pick-up bed liner. It seems to help with rust on the cans and sliding around in the back of the Jeep.

Great Idea. I have an old ammo can that I can't get to stop rusting...

If you enjoyed reading about "How to store in an ammo can" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!