To dangle or not to dangle..that is the question.

PDA

Redlg155
December 22, 2011, 12:09 AM
I use a rope to bring my rifle up once I am set in my climber. From there I usually just let the rope fall while still attached to my stand.

Has anyone ever had an animal spook because of the dangling rope moving as you shift in your stand or wind blowing the rope?

If you enjoyed reading about "To dangle or not to dangle..that is the question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Birdhunter1
December 22, 2011, 12:26 AM
I doubt they would notice it unless they are right underneath you, even then there are many vines and such hanging from trees all over the woods that it would likely just blend in and go unnoticed.

Sav .250
December 22, 2011, 07:56 AM
In the woods a lot of things dangle but on the safe side, I`d pull the rope up.

Art Eatman
December 22, 2011, 11:52 AM
There is a thing called "pattern recognition" or "pattern identification". If things are different, such as a vine hanging today that was not there yesterday, it can be alarming to a critter. Wild turkeys are said to be supreme at this; deer, less so.

But, odds are that a rope would not be enough of a change in the pattern of that particular location to be upsetting. I'd likely pull the rope into the blind on general principles, however...

hardluk1
December 22, 2011, 01:16 PM
Use some kind of green / brown para cord and all well be fine.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
December 22, 2011, 07:31 PM
Personally, I think you would have more problems from scent on the rope than the actual visibility of it. When it is dropped down, the wind will pick up much more scent from your hands left on it.

hardluk1
December 22, 2011, 09:32 PM
I spray my rope like everything i wear or use with arm and hammer baking soda in water thats been blended. Thats allways been my de-sent spray. Had deer stand under the stand and drop hard candy to them . Funny that deer will crew it up.

osprey176
December 26, 2011, 11:24 PM
I used to leave the haul rope down when I hunted Fla. until I pulled it up to lower my rifle after dark one evening.A BIG banana spider had started up the rope and wound up in my lap!Not much room to escape and evade in a tree stand.Now,I keep the rope in my pocket until time to get down.

Win73
December 27, 2011, 02:50 AM
I have a rope attached to both of my ladder stands. I leave it hanging all the time. So when I am in one of the stands I just lower the rope so that is hanging like always. So there is no change for the deer to notice.

RinkRat
December 27, 2011, 03:16 AM
^^ osprey176

Lap-Spider ?? :what:

You pick some goofy hunting partners :neener:

Don't know about the rope spookin off anything but if it's ah swaying in the breeze why take a chance their finicky enough as it is :uhoh:

^^^ hardluk1
Hard candy you say? I pack vernors, twinkies, and snicker bars ... I'll have to give um a try :evil:

langenc
December 27, 2011, 10:08 PM
Hard candy you say? I pack vernors, twinkies, and snicker bars ... I'll have to give um a try

All excellet diet items. Probably need some Red Bull to go with em,

Cob
December 28, 2011, 01:29 AM
If I am in a climbing deer stand, I use the rope as an added level of safety, and tie it around the tree & stand, to further secure the stand.

I have forgotten my safety belt, and have used the 550 lb paracord as a makeshift safety belt, with a few specialized knots...

But Ialmost always have a pack, and/ or quiver of arrows(archery season), and tie my back-pack & quiver with a couple loops, to keep it at just the right location on the side of my deerstand. the first strands are used as desccribed in 1st paragraph, the remainder of the rope is used as described in last paragraph.

StrutStopper
December 31, 2011, 01:14 AM
I always keep my rope in the tree with me. No need to spread my scent any more than I have to.

If you enjoyed reading about "To dangle or not to dangle..that is the question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!