best lube oil

PDA

GriNgOboNeZ
December 22, 2011, 11:57 AM
I am curious what u guys recommend for lubing the outside of the gun that wont affect wood stocks so I can just spray and wipe the whole thing without worrying about discoloration.

If you enjoyed reading about "best lube oil" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
briansmithwins
December 22, 2011, 12:04 PM
I don't like spray oil as it gets everywhere and you're paying for propellant.

CLP comes in spray and liquid. For general use it's hard to beat, just don't soak the wood with it.

BSW

GriNgOboNeZ
December 22, 2011, 12:13 PM
I bought a sheepskin cloth and am debating whether to use an oil or silicone based lube

DM~
December 22, 2011, 12:30 PM
Here's another vote for CLP.

DM

Art Eatman
December 22, 2011, 12:33 PM
Lotsa stuff works. I spray RemOil on a patch for an external wipe-down. That's done all I've needed for many a decade...

Rail Driver
December 22, 2011, 12:37 PM
I use 5w30 full synthetic motor oil on a rag. I wipe it on, wait 10 mins or so, then wipe off the extra. Works like a charm.

Ghost Tracker
December 22, 2011, 12:37 PM
Ballistol! It's GOOD for wood. And get an old-fashioned boar's-hair bristle shaving brush for spreadin' & smoothin' it around. There's absolutely NOTHING better. (Trust me, I'm not joking.)

VA27
December 22, 2011, 12:51 PM
Ballistol! It's GOOD for wood. And get an old-fashioned boar's-hair bristle shaving brush for spreadin' & smoothin' it around. There's absolutely NOTHING better. (Trust me, I'm not joking.)

^ This ^. Boeshield is also a good product.

hardluk1
December 22, 2011, 12:57 PM
Breakfree CLP for 36 years. Found no reason to try something "better" . Kroil oil for when more serious cleaning is needed.

hawkeye10
December 22, 2011, 01:00 PM
Buy you a can of Rig and put it on your sheep skin. Trust me this is the best that you can use. I have a can that I have used for 25 or 30 years and it is still over half full. You will only have to buy this one time. Once you get it on your sheep skin or rag you might have to put a little more on once every year or two. I looked on Ebay and these are smaller cans so you might have to buy two of them to last a life time. Don

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=rig+grease&_frs=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359

Elkins45
December 22, 2011, 01:23 PM
For the use you describe I don't think you'll ever do better than Johnson's Paste Wax.

RNB65
December 22, 2011, 04:39 PM
BF CLP. Been using it for years on all guns with no issues. Works great.

303tom
December 22, 2011, 04:54 PM
Best gun oil I have ever used !

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?catid=2&iid=27&loc=show

The Sarge
December 22, 2011, 05:06 PM
You are asking for rust protection and not a lube.
CLR works well.
Ballistol works well.
Motor oil works well.
Olive oil works well.
But the question requires more ....
protection for long term storage?
protection for a few months at a time?
In a safe?
Under the bed?
What?

WYcoyote
December 22, 2011, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't spray any kind of gun lube oil all over my stocks.
Don't mind if an oil rag wipes them a little but I sure don't spray them down.
For the metal I like CLP or Rem Oil, for lube on my AR's BCG I use Mobil 1 10w-30.

USMC8541
December 22, 2011, 09:28 PM
Transmission fluid is the best and cheap

snakeman
December 22, 2011, 09:30 PM
best lube oil? ky? Seriously for the outside of a gun I like rem oil. for the inside...unless it's an ar I use reel magic. for the ar Break Free CLP

GriNgOboNeZ
December 22, 2011, 10:03 PM
I dont have a safe yet, my gunz are on racks or in a cpl corners in my gun room. Most all of them are shot a cpl timez a year, my GSR and .22 get time all year. So this isnt LONG time storage for the most part. Thx for all the info. Haven't decided which yet, just dont want to discolor my laminate stock.

303tom
December 22, 2011, 11:02 PM
I still say Lucas is the best !!!!!!!!

Lucas Gun Oil

Developed to prevent jamming and over-heating in large machine guns and high caliber rifles. Great for recreational hand gun enthusiast.

LUCAS Gun Oil is designed to stand up to the high combustion temperatures of machine guns. It also totally protects against moisture and is completely odorless. It resists evaporation and drying during long term storage.
Key Benefits

Excellent for long-term storage
Use on fishing reels
Excellent household oil

Ragnar Danneskjold
December 22, 2011, 11:14 PM
CLP is mediocre to ok at cleaning, lubricating, and protecting, but not great at any of the three. I prefer to use a dedicated product for each that tends to work better at that one task. For lubricating, I do a few session with Miltec to coat the moving parts, and then for general use, I prefer FP-10. FP-10 just doesn't burn off and add to the carbon like CLP does. When the weapon gets hot, CLP burns and stops working. FP-10 stays wet and keeps the gun running far longer than CLP. I have also found FP-10 to keep its viscosity much better at a wider range of outside temperatures.

moxie
December 22, 2011, 11:15 PM
Lemon Pledge. Really!

jhnrckr
December 22, 2011, 11:20 PM
I use 5w30 full synthetic motor oil
I second the motor oil. Synthetic is possibly overkill but one bottle will last you a lifetime and it is designed to work under much worse conditions than a gun. Check out the diesel oils like Delvac or Rotella, they have the most detergents in them. As an experiment add a half a quart to your dirty engine oil, go out for a drive and check your dipstick your old oil will look like new again. Beretta sent a small bottle of Valvoline when I bought their shotguns 12 years ago so it cant be bad.

HEAVY METAL 1
December 22, 2011, 11:31 PM
I also use 5w30 full synthetic motor oil. It doesn't run and acts as a cleaner in the bore. After I've cleaned the bore w/ Hoppe's and get clean, dry patches I run one with the motor oil to coat the bore and more crud is visible on the patch. For hunting in the rain here in Orygun I coat the externals of my guns with Johnson Paste Wax. When not hunting in the rain and am at the range I use RemOil because it fits in my range kit easily. I have used Miltec too and it is great, but too costly for me.

coondogger
December 23, 2011, 12:24 AM
In the summer I use Break free clp. I'm not sure it's good for the wood, so I remove grips or just try to be careful. The reason for summer use is because I find the smell of the stuff vile so I only use it outdoors. In the winter, in the confines of my house, I use Remoil. It's effective, doesn't attack wood, and its odor not entirely unpleasant.

wildchild2010
December 23, 2011, 12:31 AM
Ballistol Great stuff and even works on the corrosive ammo primer salts.

doubleh
December 23, 2011, 11:38 AM
Moxie is right. I've been using it for over twenty years and before that it was Johnson's paste wax for a total of over forty years. I haven' t had any rust on any of my guns since I switched to wax. Fingerprints won't rust through wax. They will with oil. Pledge is both a cleaner and protectant. It makes the gun look good also. I may not clean inside after everytime I shoot a gun but it gets wiped down with Pledge.

Elkins45
December 23, 2011, 03:33 PM
I still say paste wax a a pure protectant, but when it comes to lubrication there's one formula I've been using for close to 20 years now with great success. I learned the recipe from a National Guard armorer who used to shoot where I do. I mixed up a batch just to amuse myself and was pleasantly surprised to discover it works just as well or perhaps even better than any commercial product I've ever tried.

2 parts automatic transmissions fluid
1 part STP engine treatment
1 part Mobil 1 synthetic oil

It's slick, and it clings well and resists burn off.

dirtengineer
December 24, 2011, 12:53 AM
I just started using this stuff:

http://www.mpro7.com/MPro7-Gun-Oil-LPX.html

Used it to lube the wife's sewing machine yesterday. Works really well.

jimmyraythomason
December 24, 2011, 11:12 AM
WD-40 sprayed on an old tee sphirt is what I use for surface wipe down. It has performed very well over the last 40 years.

Ol` Joe
December 24, 2011, 12:17 PM
I am curious what u guys recommend for lubing the outside of the gun that wont affect wood stocks so I can just spray and wipe the whole thing without worrying about discoloration.

I believe what you want is to protect, not a lube. Oil tends to run off and dry over time so it is a short term product and needs to be reapplied a time or two a year. Oils can also travel into wood stocks in the action bedding areas, soaking in causing damage over time.

Rig grease works extremely well on metal, but I don`t know how it affects wood long term so I`d be careful to avoid getting it on your stocks. I use it on mine (metal) and I`ve a couple seldom used shotguns and rifle that have been stored in my basement for years without being re-greased, and still look like the day I put them away.
Birchwood Casey, and a few others make a spray wax designed especially for gun storage and stock weather proofing. Std floor wax such as Johnson's or a good Carnauba works and is popular too. Museums use wax for their gun exhibits and nothing else.

BrocLuno
December 26, 2011, 12:38 AM
Boe-Shield TO9 if you have to have a spray. Very long lived and tough enough for airplane landing gear dealing with ice and snow :)

WaywardAce
December 26, 2011, 07:27 AM
I've been using G96 for the past 5 years ...... works great.

GriNgOboNeZ
December 26, 2011, 12:02 PM
if u were going to use a wax protectorent product would use clean, lube, then wax or skip the lube?

ColtPythonElite
December 26, 2011, 12:05 PM
If you want to spray both wood and metal, Ballistol is your best bet.

Picher
December 26, 2011, 03:24 PM
I use carnauba (Classic or other paste) wax on barrels and actions that are going to get wet. I don't wipe them down when wet, but put them where it's warm and dry, then give them another coat of wax when they're dry.

CZguy
December 26, 2011, 04:37 PM
This stuff is pricey, but works really well. I use it on the bore also.

http://www.corrosionx.com/marine.html

willypete
December 26, 2011, 04:53 PM
I like Ballistol, CLP, and lanolin and will use them interchangeably. I also have some $12/qt synthetic gear oil I use on my AR just so I can feel extra-good about it (1/2 qt left over from a transmission lube job on my Jeep).

Elbert P . Suggins
December 26, 2011, 05:03 PM
I use Ed's Red for M1a, AR-15, AK-47, Mosin-Nagant. I shoot corrosive ammo in the MN and AK-47. I use a rag soaked in Hoppe's 9 first and secondly a bore snake with Ed's Red, 'mineral spirits, ATF, and kerosene'. I never have corrosion. They are well lubricated. Well protected. Very cheap. Make it by the gallon.

pashacavanna
December 26, 2011, 05:28 PM
Nycolube

stevekozak
December 26, 2011, 07:28 PM
CLP is mediocre to ok at cleaning, lubricating, and protecting, but not great at any of the three. I prefer to use a dedicated product for each that tends to work better at that one task. For lubricating, I do a few session with Miltec to coat the moving parts, and then for general use, I prefer FP-10. FP-10 just doesn't burn off and add to the carbon like CLP does. When the weapon gets hot, CLP burns and stops working. FP-10 stays wet and keeps the gun running far longer than CLP. I have also found FP-10 to keep its viscosity much better at a wider range of outside temperatures.
I second the FP-10. Love that stuff. Won't gum up like Rem-oil if a gun sets for a awhile. Works well in cold weather as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "best lube oil" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!