"go to first unread post"

PDA

HABU
January 28, 2003, 10:01 PM
Since I have recently had a post relocated to this forum, I now know about it! Thanks Mal H.

Now then, what is the story with clicking on the "go to first unread post" and it always takes me to the last post of the thread?

Before Blackhawk sugests that I have already read the second to the last post, :neener: let me assure you that that is not the case. I sometimes have to scroll up for many posts before I get to the last unread post.

If you enjoyed reading about ""go to first unread post"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
January 29, 2003, 06:47 PM
Before Blackhawk sugests that I have already read the second to the last post, :confused:

I don't thing the "go to first unread post" works like it should. For a while, that feature worked on TFL, but not for the last several months.

When it did work on TFL, it seems that you could read something on, e.g., page 3 of 8, log off come back, click that link, and you'd end up on page 3 again.

I don't think it's ever worked that way on THR, where it just takes you to the end of the thread.

Sven
January 29, 2003, 08:12 PM
I think it works off the last time you actually did a search (either a targetted search or "View New Posts") - so, even if you didn't read the threads that a search brought up, it assumes that you are up to date.

If you leave THR for a few days and come back, my guess is that it will actually take you to the first post since you did your last search.

Just a guess.

Frohickey
January 29, 2003, 08:40 PM
My guess is that the 'go to first unread post' was doing some sort of table lookup for when you last 'marked all messages read'

I also noticed that the incredible slowness and instability of THR went away when the 'go to first unread post' just sent you to the last post on the thread.

But that is just me and my quirky observations about the world. :uhoh:

Mal H
January 29, 2003, 09:17 PM
As far as I can tell, it's still WAD (working as designed). If you haven't marked all threads as read, the "go to first new post" worked correctly for me. I just tried it in several threads.

I'm not insulting your intelligence, but just to be sure, you are pressing the "go to new" button (on the left side of a thread listing) and not the "go to last" button (on the right side)?

HABU
January 30, 2003, 09:47 PM
I am talking about the "go to first unread post" option on the left side, on top, right behind the number of pages. I went to a large thread today that I havn't read in a few days. This particular thread had 4 pages to it. Pages 1 & 2 were black, indicating that those pages had been read while pages 3 & 4 were green, indicating that they had not been read. I clicked on "go to first unread post" and was imediately taken to the bottom of the 4th page that I know I have never read.

I don't thing the "go to first unread post" works like it should.

It seems that there is at least one other person that is having the same problem.

Mal H
January 30, 2003, 11:08 PM
Bear in mind that the SW is not very sophisticated in keeping track of what you have read. It doesn't know that you have read posts in a particular thread or not. It is only comparing the timestamp of the last time you marked a forum or all forums read to the timestamps of the posts in a thread. In other words, it doesn't keep track of every single thread. If you never mark forums as read, then it should work as you expect it to. If it isn't then there is a bug as you suspect. I checked again on several threads and the "goto ..." worked properly with respect to the last time I know I marked forums as read.

For the 4 page thread you mentioned, had you marked forums as read at any time after reading the first 2 pages?

tyme
January 30, 2003, 11:36 PM
It's based on a cookie that stores pairs of threadids and timestamps. If you really think something's broken, about the only thing I can suggest is to look at the cookie and figure out if the cookie contains the correct information. Then compare that timestamp to the time of the post vbulletin takes you to when you tell it to go to the first unread post. The cookie should be named bbthreadview, but it's really annoying to read because it's got escaped ascii. If you manage to get the threadid and timestamp pairs isolated, you can convert unix timestamps to readable times here (http://www.thehighroad.org/timestamp.php).

I really really doubt anyone will find vbulletin not honoring the cookie or processing it incorrectly, but if you have solid evidence please post/email it. More than likely, those having problems are a) misunderstanding the feature, b) marking threads read, c) forgetting where they were in a thread, d) their browsers could be losing or refusing to accept the cookie. In the last case, I think vbulletin just goes to the end of the thread.

If you enjoyed reading about ""go to first unread post"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!