Kind of a weird question.

PDA

Hammerhead6814
December 23, 2011, 01:45 AM
Just finished re-reading Pelton's "Licensed to Kill: The Hired Guns in the War on Terror". Of all the questions I have regarding it's subject matter, there's one I think THR might answer (-maybe-).

Anyone know what kind of 7.62x39 the Afgans/Pakistani's use? As in the grain of the bullet, type of powder, type of case, and type of primer? There has to be some information on this somewhere.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kind of a weird question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Float Pilot
December 23, 2011, 03:22 AM
Many of the AK-47 variants are made in small town/village workshops in Pakistan.
They lean heavily on child labor. Occasionally one will blow up.

There is also a Pakistani government made variant called the PK-10 (I Think).
It is made by Pakistan Ordnance Factories (POF).

POF also makes many different types of ammo including 7.62x39mm. Their version of the M-43 round appeared to me to be the standard mild steel core stuff like the older Soviet M-43 ammo.

The stuff coming across the border is a Hodge-podge of various makes and pieces. So there is no clear answer to your question.

briansmithwins
December 23, 2011, 02:01 PM
The guy who runs this sight is a former USMC captain and now works as a journalist. He also wrote a very well done book about AKs, titled 'The Gun'.

He also collects information about what weapons various guys are using in different places. From what I remember the Afghans he talked to have been carrying AKs and AKMs from 1956 on up, and ammunition from pretty much every place that has made 7.62x39 ammo, sometimes in the same mags.

His site is http://cjchivers.com/ The earlier pages deal more with Iraq and Afghanistan. Later ones are more Libya focused.

BSW

If you enjoyed reading about "Kind of a weird question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!