Which Remington 700 series should i choose?

PDA

remingtonfan
December 23, 2011, 04:10 AM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, and I am hoping one of you can help me choose my first rifle and to make some choices. I plan to buy the rifle within 3 months or so.

(a) I have decided a Remington 700 P will suit my needs. I plan to do target firing at the range and also some outdoors. Also will use the rifle for hunting. My budget for a rifle at the moment is around $500 to $590.

From the sound of it I might have to change the stock to something else as there seems to be bad reviews of the plastic or injection moulded stock. Any stock suggestions or would you disagree witht he "bad" reviews?

I dont like the Remington 700 VTR. I like the look of the Remington 700P LTR but i dont seem able to compare it properly VS the other Remington 700 series. I like black so I prefer Remingtons with a matt black look.

Can I have your opinions as to if i should get a new Remington 700 P or a used one? I was really thinking of a used one and any extra cash i could use for the scope and or get more ammo? what websites should I look at if i am to look into getting a second hand rifle?

I really seem to like the "Remington 700 5R Milspec" but its too expensive (about $1100), plus i dont like that it is stainless steel. Its just too shiny if i was to hunt with it. I would guess it can be painted but i dont want to screw that up! Cannot seem to find a used one, as i dont know where to look (plus of course i have no idea to to see if the rifle is ok, like if the barrel is damaged etc)

I like bolt action as its fewer parts, easier to clean and.........i just like it.

(b) I would like to be able to fire the .308 ammo, and being able to shoot the 223 also from the same barrel would be nice. (from research only the Remington 700 P will fire the .223 and the .308 ammo but correct me if i am wrong).

(c) I would like help choosing the ammo (yes i know how to choose for the calibre but i am unable to make a choice based on brand, mainly as i dont know the differences or how to compare to make my selection). In other words if i want .308 ammo and was given the choice between WOLF ammo and WINCHISTER ammo who do i choose and why? Assume I do shooting at a range and hunting in the forest.

(d) My choice of scope from research is a Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy XLT Rifle scope, although i will admit i cannot seem to figure out if this will fit on Remington 700 rifles. Any thoughts or suggestions on a "better" scope for my choice of rifle. My budget is about $150 for the scope. I would like the scope to be 0.5 MOA (or better) and dont plan to go beyond 800 meters. How do i know if a particular scope will fit on a given rifle? Any scope suggested should be resetable to zero.

(e) There seeems to be different bullet mouldings. I see there is three choices (Moly), Tungsten Disulfide (WS2 or Danzac), and Hexagonal Boron Nitride (HBN or "White Graphite"). Which one should i choose and why?

(f) What cleaning products / tools should i get for cleaning my rifle? I figured i should get a bore snake but what else?

(g) I would like a front mount, but i dont know which mounts will fit the Remington 700. Any suggestions please?

Looking forwards to hearing your replies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Remington 700 series should i choose?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
xmanpike
December 23, 2011, 06:50 AM
Sounds like you need a buddy. You will not be able to fire .308 and .223 ammo from the same barrel/gun. The barrel will be specific to the caliber you are shooting. So you are either going to buy a 308 or a 223. For all around hunting the 308 will suit you better. It will kill everything from squirrels, to elk and bear. The scope you want will fit any of the 700 rifles although you will have to buy a base and rings. 800 meters is a LONG way and as you seem somewhat new at this, I would concentrate more on 100-200 yard shots for awhile. Any standard cleanign kits will have the parts to clean your rifle along with some Hoppe's #9. The bore snake in my opinion is just a quick "half-ass" clean.

Good luck

remingtonfan
December 23, 2011, 07:06 AM
Hello xManPike,

Thanks for chipping in. Yeah I do need a bit of help.

Thanks for the corrections. I am going to choose the 308 caliber.
I didnt know about the need for a base and rings! Thanks for pointing that out.

As for the comment about 800 meters is a long way....yeah it is, but i figured i would just state the max range i would be going for to narrow down the choices.

I will do as you suggest and aim for 100 to 200 yards initially.

I am not totally green at this. I have shot semi-auto handguns before, but yes i am new at rifles.

Regarding the scope is it a good one in your opinion?

Also any comments on point (e) ?

LoonWulf
December 23, 2011, 07:16 AM
Some one is going to tell you to get a .22 also, so it might as well be me lol. Also i would highly suggest making friends with an experienced rifle shooter. Folks here on the board will be happy to answer questions, but having some one around to actually talk to, and show you stuff can be invaluable.

remingtonfan
December 23, 2011, 07:22 AM
Loonwolf, give me a good reason to get a 22 as well ?

Yes, for sure i will be making friends with rifle shooters. I just have to feel them out :-)

LoonWulf
December 23, 2011, 07:29 AM
Cost of ammo is the major one for me. Very low recoil practice helps with working on sight picture, trigger control, and follow thru. Also dropping .22 rounds on target at 200+ yard is both very chalenging and fun.

As for what remington id suggest an sps or one of the variants (tac or varmint). They may not have as good a fit and finish as the more costly models but they are generally just as accurate.

Another thing to consider is weight. A heavier gun is generaly stedier but....obviously harder to carry. If your hunting from a stationary position no big deal but if you walk a 10-12 lb setup can be a bit much. My own 700 7mm reminton weights in at 11lbs and i carry it alot, but if i know im gonna be out all day i chose a lighter rifle.

jonesroy
December 23, 2011, 07:34 AM
As for a good quality rifle your on the right track. but the rem 700 p right now sells for about a 1000 dollars new and as for finding one used good luck ive been searching every gunshop within a few hundred miles of me for the past few years with no luck so far . what you might consider is a remington 700 sps tactical or remington 700 sps varmint depending on the barrel length you want . they both are within your budget and you can have it restocked later . as for a scope i would look at the Nikon ProStaff 4-12 x 40 bdc it sells on amazon.com for $189.36 . below are links for the two rifles i mentioned

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42070

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_57_981/products_id/41046

cavman
December 23, 2011, 07:42 AM
For the .22, the best reason is the price per shot. for a $600 .308 rifle, after a thousand rounds you have $400 minimum in ammo costs alone.

The .22 ammo after $30 you will have the same thousand rounds of fun/skill/marksmanship practice with nearly all of your original $400 for ammo remaining.

This is just an example but you see what I mean.

With a thousand or even three thousand rounds of shooting the .22 you can work on trigger control, the three main positions of rifle shooting: standing, kneeling, and lying down prone. These skills with the .22 that you will be acquiring will carry over to any other rifle including your .308.

Abel
December 23, 2011, 08:29 AM
Get a Stevens 200 in .243. Get a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40mm scope. This would be a great combo to learn on, or to just have forever. And it won't break your wallet. The Remington is ok, but to get into a rifle and scope in your price range, you'd have to get a Remington 770, which is not nearly as nice as a Stevens 200.

Here you go:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/14605

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Optics/Riflescopes|/pc/104791680/c/104752080/sc/104535180/Redfield174-Revolution8482-Riflescopes/720960.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-optics-riflescopes%2Fredfield%2F_%2FN-1100055%2B1000004457%2FNe-1000004457%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104535180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104791680%253Bcat104752080%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104752080%3Bcat104535180

HKGuns
December 23, 2011, 08:58 AM
Its just too shiny if i was to hunt with it. I would guess it can be painted but i dont want to screw that up! Cannot seem to find a used one, as i dont know where to look (plus of course i have no idea to to see if the rifle is ok, like if the barrel is damaged etc)No offense intended, but that is pretty much nonsense, my main Deer rifle is stainless and I've killed deer with it. Stainless is very nice for hunting because it will be more forgiving to the moisture of rain and/or snow in the field.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v18/p851816651-5.jpg

a). Savage in .243 or .308 would be an excellent choice for you and your budget and might just leave room for a reasonable optic.

b). Not going to happen. .223 and .308 require different barrels.

c). It depends on the purpose. Winchester over Wolf for anything but plinking, just realize if you're going to hunt you sight the rifle in with the round you plan to hunt with.....I'm partial to Hornady hunting rounds.

d). Decent scope considering your budget. Might also want to look at Leupold VX-2 line or Nikon Buckmaster. Have the shop you buy the scope from install it with the proper mounts. I prefer two piece mounts like you see in the picture above. Most any scope, with proper eye relief will fit any rifle, you buy the correct mounts for the rifle. I refuse to use weaver mounts on a hunting rifle.

e). No idea what you are getting at here.

f). Hoppe's #9, cleaning rod, proper sized patches and bronze brush. Oil of your choice, or CLP.

g). Front mount what? The Scope? Don't do it, mount it as in the picture above or you'll not be able to see through the scope. You need a special scope to front mount and it will be way over your budget in all liklihood.

tikka-guy
December 23, 2011, 09:57 AM
You don't mention what you will be hunting. Unfortunately, it's difficult to find a rifle that is suitable for big game and also cheap to shoot at the range. .308 is about as good as you can do there. But, if you are going to be varmint hunting then I'd highly recommend going with something like a .223. You can find plinking ammo for that much cheaper than you can for a .308, 30-06, or any other centerfire rifle. Some would argue that .223 is enough for big game, but that's left for another thread. I think it's at least fair to say that a .308 is a better option if big game is what you're after. You'd also need to check state laws, as some states won't let you hunt things like deer and antelope with something as small as a .223.

You seem to have made your mind up on the Remington 700 series, but have you gone to a shop and taken a look at anything else? Researching online is a great way to get an idea of what you want, but ultimately you should go and check out the Remington and others in person. Sometimes certain rifles just don't feel quite right when you shoulder them, and you need to find something that fits you well. There are a lot of options in that price range: a blued Tikka T3 lite, T/C Venture, Savage, Stevens, Howa, the lower end Weatherby, etc, etc. You do'n't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a decent rifle these days.

MAKster
December 23, 2011, 12:23 PM
Since your budget is under $600, your only options are the SPS or ADL models. Dicks sells the ADL with scope mounted for $450. They sell varmint barrel or stainless steel models for that price. SPS models sell for around $575.

NeuseRvrRat
December 23, 2011, 12:48 PM
:uhoh:

Lloyd Smale
December 23, 2011, 01:23 PM
pick yourself up an sps and if it leaves extra money do a better scope. Ive got a plain jane blued sps in 06 that will shoot a bit better then 3/4s of an inch at a 100 yards. I chuckle at the guys that say they dont shoot with those cheap stocks. All thats been done to my gun is a trigger job and its been bedded and floated. Im sure not going to shell out 300 bucks for a premium stock.

minutemen1776
December 23, 2011, 08:20 PM
Look into the Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. Mine is the most accurate centerfire I've owned. It cost around $600, which allowed me funds to fit it with a Nikon Monarch scope. Good combo, IMHO.

Ragnar Danneskjold
December 23, 2011, 08:30 PM
I also have Remington 700 SPS Tactical, and it is an outstanding rifle. You could do far worse.

remingtonfan
December 25, 2011, 06:12 PM
HKGuns,

That is a beautiful rifle.

What rifle model is it?

What scope is mounted there?
For me I was gonna go with a Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy XLT Rifle Scope with a Mildot Reticle. Any opinions on that? Ok for starting out?

I dont want to get cheap crap as even though i would be a beginner rifle user, i know the scope is important and needs to be quality.

PedalBiker
December 25, 2011, 06:39 PM
The photo looks like a Sako (A7??).

I also prefer stainless. If you like you can paint it black or use camo tape.

Out here I have to wear 500 square inches of orange, a stainless rifle just doesn't matter much.

Under .24 is not legal for any big game in Colorado.

If you get a Savage you can swap barrels and bolt heads and magazines and maybe shoot .223 in a .308 gun - I wouldn't recommend it.

I had a .22 long before anything else.

HKGuns
December 25, 2011, 07:10 PM
Yes, it is a sako A7 with a Leupold VX3 50mm mounted on top. i am not familiar enough with Bushnell to offer an opinion. I stick with either Leupold or Nikon. I have a Simmons that is pretty much crap as compared to my other scopes.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
December 25, 2011, 09:17 PM
OK noone else seems to want to say it so I will. Why are you so stuck on a Remington? Have you not read the hundreds upon hundreds of reports that are out on the newer Remington rifles and the serious quality issues they have been having? Yes there have been some good ones and not every single Remington rifle made in the last 5 years have been total junk, but personally, I would not want to take the gamble. Their customer "service", if they still call it that, is a joke. IF you do get one and find something wrong and you need to get it fixed, good luck is all I'll say there. For the money you want to spend, I would run just as fast as I could to somewhere that sold Savage and make yourself a happy shooter. On the off chance that something was wrong or went wrong with the rifle, customer service is VERY good with very quick turnaround. You get a hell of a lot of rifle for a very good price nowadays with Savage. I hate to say this but Remington is flat out finished in my book. The company that took over Remington has flat out ruined what once was a great rifle manufacturer.

godale
December 25, 2011, 09:39 PM
what freedom fighter said. i dont like to bash anybodys choices but i have to agee with his reasoning and post

JO JO
December 25, 2011, 09:47 PM
+100 on rem 700 sps tactical and nikon scope have same set up, shoots VERY VERY WELL
no issues at all and if you load your own it can be dialed in on the dot. never regreated
buying this

T Bran
December 25, 2011, 09:53 PM
I own a REM 700 SPS .223 which I bought new on a whim and got very lucky for my uses it is a fine rifle. Others have not been so lucky. Last year I bought a SAVAGE 114 in 300 WIN MAG this gun is out of the box accurate the finish was tops. All I can say is my next rifle will be a SAVAGE as well.
LUCK
T

remingtonfan
December 27, 2011, 12:44 AM
Why I am stuck on a Remington 700 series, calibred in 308 is because of my budget and my opinions after reading multiple sites and asked many opinions of experienced professionals such as yourselves.

In my experience pretty much everything is "you get what you pay for", and from what i see SAVAGE rifles seem to be at the bottom on the heap and the cheapest (they seem around $300 or so).

I would rather spend a little more on a rifle and get what i pay for :-)

I suppose it is each to his own.

You never know i might go to the range and shoot a savage and change my mind. I let you know if I do.

As for customer service, i really dont care too much if it is bad or not. The reason for that is that I can be a real prick on the phone (or in person) if the customer service agent is being difficult; which usually results in me getting what I want.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
December 27, 2011, 02:06 AM
Well remingtonfan, you have been sorely misguided if you think that Savage is at the "bottom of the heap". Just because they may cost less does not affect the reality that they are a top of the heap product. Savage accuracy out of the box is top tier bud. Their actions are very nice and have won MANY rifle competitions. Remington is hit or miss (mostly miss lately) on quality and fit. This is just my experience with MANY people over the past 5 or so years complaining about Remington quality falling on it's face. I'm not a smith but I do a lot of "tinkering" with firearms and have a pretty large group of friends that will bring their rifles over to figure out what is wrong with them. I've had 2 brought over with VISIBLY crooked crown cuts. Now tell me this, HOW does that get through quality control inspection? ANYONE that knows anything about firearms KNOWS a crooked crown will absolutely ruin accuracy and it is supposed to be on the very top of the final inspection. There is a myriad of similar problems that should have never made it through final inspection that I could list off.

As far as you being a "P" to customer service to "get what you want" they have a little button for that, it's called a *disconnect* and trust me, they know full well how to use it. The main thing with Remington customer service isn't so much the phone call, it's the waiting for months on end for your rifle to be fixed. That's IF they even send you a shipping slip to send it to them! I had one guy that called a total of 26 times over a 4 month period of time to get his shipping slip! They finally OK'd him to take it 75 miles to the closest authorized Remington smith which in turn took a whopping 1 hour to find and fix the problem. Dropped in a new trigger group and away he went.

I have several Remington's in the safes. Have always been a fan until the past 5 or so years. Nowadays, you could not pay me to buy a new one.

idcurrie
December 27, 2011, 02:14 AM
Buy a savage 116 or a new Weatherby Vanguard Series 2. You won't be dissapointed.

Tim the student
December 27, 2011, 02:40 AM
You seem to like Remingtons, without necessarily knowing why. You are mistaken if you think that quality is always correlated to cost. Often it is, but not always.

There are plenty of very knowledgeable shooters here that choose to go with Savage. There is a reason for that - and it isn't cost.

I urge you to do some more research on other brands, as well as some more reading on pretty much everything rifles. Do it here, not wherever you got the idea that shooting .223 from a .308 would be peachy. I mean no offense - but you have some learning to do I think.

Fullboar1
December 27, 2011, 02:45 AM
Buy a savage 116 or a new Weatherby Vanguard Series 2. You won't be dissapointed.

I will second the Weatherby Vanguard S2 or if you can afford a little more get a Tikka T3 (IMHO the best value for money factory production rifle on the market with the best accuracy guarantee, besides a Sako). The Synthetic stocks on the Tikka's are fibre re-inforced and dont flex as bad as most other Synthetic stocks in there price point. The Tikka's are made by Sako and use the same barrel as what is on the Sako's and the triggers are about the best on a factory production gun.

The problem is if you want a target gun you should get one with a heavy barrel (T3 Varmint) and they become a little heavy to hump around the woods thats why most hunting guns have light barrels (T3 Lite). If you think you can handle the extra weight (around 2.5 pounds) then you would be better off with a Varmint style gun. The heavy barrel won't overheat like a lightweight hunting barrel when you are target shooting it at the range.

kb58
December 27, 2011, 01:41 PM
Have you not read the hundreds upon hundreds of reports that are out on the newer Remington rifles and the serious quality issues they have been having?
And that's out of how many? "Hundreds" out of a couple thousand is a lot, but "hundreds" out of 100,000 is nothing. Human nature means that only unhappy people post. Worse, they like to spread their unhappiness around, and post the same stories on many different sites. Those who are happy have no reason to post anything. For this reason it gives a very negatively-biased view of any product that may in fact have decent reliablity. Unless you work at a gun shop or a range, it's nearly impossible to get real, unbiased information.

LoonWulf
December 27, 2011, 05:27 PM
I can give you real unbiased information as to exactly WHAT was wrong with mine. The magazine wouldnt feed reliably as one of the feed ramps was ground incorrectly, my local smith fixed that for free when he also modified a front weaver mount to deal with the off center holes in the receiver.
The finish is very ruff. Much more so then if it had been nicely bead blasted, like my older and much less expensive ADL was.

Im not saying that you SHOULDNT get a remington 700, i dont think i will unless i can handle it before i buy. As i generally have a local FFL holder bring in rifles for me, i dont get to handle anything before i buy it, and for that ill stick with Savage. As a note i paied 650 for my 7mm SPS, im pretty sure why you can see im not going out on a limb for remington again.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
December 27, 2011, 05:42 PM
And that's out of how many? "Hundreds" out of a couple thousand is a lot, but "hundreds" out of 100,000 is nothing. Human nature means that only unhappy people post. Worse, they like to spread their unhappiness around, and post the same stories on many different sites. Those who are happy have no reason to post anything. For this reason it gives a very negatively-biased view of any product that may in fact have decent reliablity. Unless you work at a gun shop or a range, it's nearly impossible to get real, unbiased information.

And here is a little unbiased data for you. Of the 26 personal friends that bought Remingtons in the past 2 years, 11 of them had problems! Thats almost 50% and damn well NOT acceptable in my book. LoonWolfs problems are a prime example. Fit and finish not acceptable, off center scope base D&T's, feed ramps not ground. These are all quality control issues that could be EASILY caught at the factory IF they gave a crap about quality like they USED to. Now they all depend on button pushing CNC operators that wouldn't know a breech from a muzzle. As I said in another thread, CNC is all well and good and CAN provide very high quality products. BUT you still have to have quality firearms builders at the finish line to make sure of the fit and finish and of the quality of the parts. You have some 20 year old kid that has never even fired a rifle inspecting these and you get what Remington now produces, JUNK. Period.

remingtonfan
December 27, 2011, 05:54 PM
Hey KB58,

I did actually hear about the reports over the remington rifles being poor quality and things of that nature. However most of it seems to be the 770 and 710 (i think).

I also noticed the cnbc report, where they were bashing remington 700 series rifles because suposablly its safety can act as a trigger, and cause the gun to fire when it's disengaged.

However in my opinion (and feel free to argue), the people who had the gun fire in the manner described above, would likely have changed the trigger pressure to an unsafe threshold.

I saw a video, where a Maine police officer (i dont know if it was a real police officer) who managed to get the gun to fire by just tapping the bolt gently.

However......nobody at all pulled him aside and asked him "did you modify the trigger on this rifle"?

I can promise you all, i will be spending time at the range trying a few rifles before finializing my decision.

Like you said though, its hard to get unbiased info.....i litterly have to make the best decision i can with what info i "hope" is unbiased or true.

remingtonfan
December 27, 2011, 06:11 PM
Hey Freedom_fighter,

Yeah almost 50% seems excessive.

I see what your saying about the CNC operators. I actually did AUTOcad (the program and programming you use to enter into a CNC lathe how to cut whatever piece there is). So i do know about CNC end results and you make a good point.

LoonWulf
December 27, 2011, 09:37 PM
I agree with you on the trigger issue remingtonfan, ive never had an issue with a Walker. The only issues ive ever seen have been user induced, either by poor maintenance or poor adjustment. That isnt to say it isnt possible due to normal ware, but it seems to be unlikely, and uncomon. As for the police "Idiot", THAT i can almost for sure say was poor sear adjustment.

dprice3844444
December 27, 2011, 09:41 PM
http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-5707-836-remington-700-ss-5r-milspec-20-wthreaded-muzzle-308.aspx

http://www.tobystactical.com/

NCdrummer
December 27, 2011, 09:47 PM
I suggest you stop reading internet stories and meet someone, in person, who knows a little about firearms. This whole thread is goofy! If you must buy a rifle, I really suggest you start like many of us did, with an air rifle. Learn all about how to shoot it accurately and safely. Then progress to a rimfire, and eventually move into centerfire rifles. No offense, but you really need help! PLEASE don't buy a rifle until you have some experience!

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
December 27, 2011, 10:20 PM
remingtonfan, All that hype has been going around about the supposed trigger "problem" for a few years now. There has yet to be a truly PROVEN instance of the "problem". They say it has been around for over 30 years. I have several older Remingtons (back when they were actually Remington and not some conglomerate) and unless you have some backroom hack doing trigger modifications, it is a safe and reliable trigger group. That is not the issue I have with Remington. It's simply the quality of the overall product being produced. It is not up to the standards that they used to be. If you are going to charge a moderate to premium price for a product, you should put out a product that meets the standards of that price. When you have firearms such as Savage that are 10% to 30% cheaper for the same type of firearms that are 100% better in quality out of the box, then you have a serious problem. It seems that Freedom Group has not yet grasped this concept. Maybe one day they will before they go completely belly up. I do highly doubt that they will though judging from their past history. They suck all they can out of a company, bankrupt it and move on.

click clack
December 27, 2011, 10:28 PM
+ 1 NCdrummer.. if you aren't familiar with rifles its difficult to jump right in with both feet. Especially at the rate you are trying to.. Already talking about 800 meter shots? I've had my Rem. 308 for a while now and havent come close nor am I ready for that challenge.. one day though ;) Nothing wrong with knowing what you want but atleast check out the competition like everyone has been saying.. I also would look into the Vanguards from weatherby. I think they are guarunteed sub moa out the box (correct me if im wrong anybody) And i dont know where you got your info about Savages. I just got an older used model 10 in .223 from a friend of the family and it made 3 holes touch at 75 yards or so my first time shooting it!! i was blown away, and the glass on it is just an old Simmons. And if you do get rifle and end up not liking it, guns hold there value relatively well and you can try new ones.

remingtonfan
December 28, 2011, 01:02 AM
Hi NCdrummer,

Yeah I have actually shot firearms before. I have shot handguns before. I can actually shoot very well with it. I am not totally "green behind the ears at this", but yes i would be in the rifle arena. come to think of it i havent shot a shotgun but i have taken two types apart (with the owner) and put it back together again.

I do plan to go back to the range and also meet other rifle users too.

The whole thread may seem goofy, and i dont take offense, but if you read the entire thread in full, after you get the context (which is actually several questions and several more added after clarifcations etc), it should make sense.

I will not take offense, i am here to learn and do value anyone's opinion and suggestions that have more experience than I.

remingtonfan
December 28, 2011, 01:03 AM
Hey Clack Clack,

Regarding 800 meter shots, i belive that was the max range i had in mind. Dosent mean i would be trying for 800 meter shots right away :-)

quartermaster
December 28, 2011, 09:46 AM
In your price range, I believe your best option would be a Remington 700 SPS. I have aquired 3 of them in the past 2 years. They are reasonably inexpensive and all 3 of mine have shot much more accurately than I expected, I can't say how they would act with factory loads, but with some experimentation, I'm sure you will find ammo that will shoot very well.

Savage is also an option, but I believe your odds of getting accuracy are better from a Remington. I have both, as well as quite a few others, and have had the best luck with the 700's.

Good luck with whatever your decide to get

chad1043
December 28, 2011, 12:38 PM
After reading this whole thread. I would suggest you start with a .22. Find a nice cheap older used Marlin. Tube feed or clip. You can shot out to 100 yards and have a blast. Shooting .22 is about as much fun as you can have with a rifle. You can shoot lots of rounds for pennies. It will teach you proper breathing and posture techniques. Seriously, if you are willing to drop 600-700 on a 308, buy a $100 dollar .22 and shoot it for a while. Learn and then buy the bigger rifle. This is a win-win situation.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Remington 700 series should i choose?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!