What "truck" guns would you recomend

PDA

Batta
December 23, 2011, 11:08 AM
I'm thinking for my next gun purchase I am wanting a "truck" gun if you will. My initial thought is a single shot light caliber rifle. My question for you guys is what are you keeping with you all of the time in your trunks or behind the seat. Let's see what you come up with and pics are nice too.

If you enjoyed reading about "What "truck" guns would you recomend" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Abel
December 23, 2011, 11:11 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT94AcCHrJvBjmGALzTiAixJzN_77tqCzEaqY2mNwiShQ-t2cGSwgZzPfyg

rbernie
December 23, 2011, 11:14 AM
Mini30.

memphisjim
December 23, 2011, 11:14 AM
cheap 12 gauge pump

viking499
December 23, 2011, 11:19 AM

Picher
December 23, 2011, 11:22 AM
Hard to beat an H&R Handi-Rifle, with Dura-Coat or other good material to keep it from rusting. A used stainless/synthetic stocked bolt action would also be nice.

If it's going to be banged around, receiver sights might be easier to keep working properly than a scope and accuracy is better/aiming faster than with open sights. A short lever-action in stainless is nice for that application, but very expensive for what they can do.

The Stainless Mini 14 or Mini 30 would be very good, but expensive for a truck gun.

NeuseRvrRat
December 23, 2011, 11:24 AM
H&R Handi Rifle chambered in whatever fits your needs best. .243 would be a good choice.

zstephens13
December 23, 2011, 11:34 AM
I'm getting an SKS bullpup for that purpose.
Good caliber, good capacity, semi-auto, light, and handy.

marine 97-03
December 23, 2011, 11:39 AM
May want to look at a hi point carbine

kbbailey
December 23, 2011, 11:55 AM
My current, and long-time favorite is a Ruger MKII.
I could bore you all with a top-ten list of reasons why.....but I'll skip directly to #4

#4. A mag fed .22 is quick to get loaded and unloaded (important for a truck gun)
#3. small compact package, putting the gun within arms reach in the console( Illinois legal btw...go figure).
#2. cheap, easy to find ammo.
#1 a .22 handgun covers most all of my REALISTIC, informal, and unplanned shooting needs. Otherwise, I bring along the appropriate gun.

snakeman
December 23, 2011, 12:04 PM
I live on a ranch so I either have my 6.8, my ak, or my henry 22. I have busted a coyote with my 99 308 though. The ak is probably the best truck gun because it is uber reliable and accurate enough out to 300.

floorit76
December 23, 2011, 12:12 PM
Marlin Papoose.

W.E.G.
December 23, 2011, 12:17 PM
For crying out loud, WHAT is a "truck gun?"

1. Some piece of crap that you don't mind being stolen?
2. Some gun that you are going to neglect by letting it bounce around on the floorboard?
3. Some gun that mystically does things that other guns can't do in the proximity of a truck?

If you store your gun in a vehicle, it needs to be out of sight, and secured.
If you plan to stake your life on it working at all times, it needs to be cared for like your favorite child.

Just like any other gun.

NeuseRvrRat
December 23, 2011, 12:26 PM
^calm down little fella

for me, a truck gun is one that i can use on varmints/predators when i spot them around the farm. for me, that means not a lot of money sunk in it and minute-of-groundhog accuracy out to about 250 yds.

it's something different for everyone.

Abel
December 23, 2011, 12:34 PM
A truck gun is a functioning long gun that you store in your vehicle with ammo. Period.

Hunterdad
December 23, 2011, 12:39 PM
I'll be using a 20ga H&R single shot. Hard to beat the options for ammo.

W.E.G.
December 23, 2011, 01:16 PM
^calm down little fella

Yeah, thanks sunshine.

My Glock 22 is my "truck gun," in the sense that I like having it with me when I'm in a vehicle.
I do NOT leave it in the vehicle for thieves to steal.

If I think I might need a long gun while in the truck, I'm probably hunting.
Which means its hunting season, and I have specific destination where it is legal to shoot animals.
If hunting small game, my beloved Ithaca 37 that my dad bought for me decades ago.
If big game, then my Browning A-Bolt, which I saved up for a LONG time to afford.

While either of these guns may be found in a truck, and in my immediate company, neither of these guns will ever be "left in the truck."

I guess if you live on a ranch, and you have to ride the fencelines daily, and the vehicle never leaves the ranch, it might make sense to have some old clunker thrown behind the seat 24/7 so you have something to shoot rabid possums or some such. In that situation, if the clunker fails, its really not the end of the world.

The ranch scenario accounts for what - like maybe 0.00000001% of the visitors to this board?

velojym
December 23, 2011, 01:25 PM
I want a little something in my truck, and while I lock the truck and keep the gun hidden, I still won't keep my best rifle in there day to day.
Right now, it's a Rossi .22/410, and I won't be going far until I get a few things ironed out mechanically with the truck. Later, when I'm more comfortable taking it farther, I may find a decent SKS, or just toss in my Marlin 1894. There's a perfect spot behind the seat for a custom lockbox, plenty of room for a couple rifles, ammo, and other gear. Heck, I have the sheetmetal tools... just need to learn to weld. Or, I can just rivet the thing together.

There's me a winter project, when I get everything else caught up, and I'm heading back to school next month, too.

marine 97-03
December 23, 2011, 01:26 PM
More than u might think .....

6x6pinz
December 23, 2011, 01:29 PM
@ WEG I agree whole heartily. My ready gun is on my hip. I don't do the drive around and take a shot at some critter that is a couple hundreds yards out where I have no clue what is beyond the next ridge. If it is my private property and I have a good idea who should be out and about it might be different. Just driving around in the woods/prarie (whatever) and stopping to shoot at something is a bit irresponsible since you don't know if someone else is doing the same thing.

Now the gun I keep in my truck if I am out just four wheeling (six in my case) or camping is a Charter Arms AR7 but it is stowed in its stock.

now as for having a gun in the truck yes I carry a gun in the truck and this time of year they are shotguns. It is afterall waterfowl season and I am always ready to go.
They are a Benelli Nova and a Remington SPR453.

velojym
December 23, 2011, 01:33 PM
I really do miss the days when I could carry my rifle and a shotgun in an open rack in the back window. But that was a different time and a different place.

Ghost Tracker
December 23, 2011, 01:52 PM
Don't want to shift the focus (hijack) the thread, but you can BET I have "truck" guns, "boat" guns & "etc." guns. IMHO, truck guns don't hurt my feelings near as much if they get bounced, scratched, dirty or even (gulp!) stolen as would my higher-end, prettier, more expensive firearms. I don't wear my best Sunday-go-to-Church shoes cleaning-out the stable and I don't leave my Beretta Clay Sports O/U to bounce around the duck blind. But my old Remington 870? Heck, it can do double-duty as a boat paddle. Yep, I have dedicated "ratty" firearms. My Porsche & my pick-up will both get to the grocery. But if it's an icy, slushy mess outside to get there, I'm taking the truck.

X-Rap
December 23, 2011, 02:33 PM
Some people have guns with them as a matter of daily life by need or by preference. This changes with the part of the country you live. I'm pretty sure that some here find the idea of an uncased loaded gun in a vehichle as a huge safety violation while others find it as natural as having a pair of pliers on the floor board.
I have many at times but usually at least 2 and yes sometimes they are left alone in the locked truck.
If I had to pick just the minimum mine would be an AR Carbine with a 1.5x5 or 2x7 quality scope and a 20 rd mag in the gun and some spare 30's along with that a accurate 22 pistol.
With that you can do what ever you need unless you are on a specific hunting trip in which you would probably have a shotgun or up size the rifle.
Just driving around in the woods/prarie (whatever) and stopping to shoot at something is a bit irresponsible since you don't know if someone else is doing the same thing.

I've gotta say this statement baffles the heck out of me since every year for 3 or 4 months people by the millions are riding and walking around doing just that while hunting so I don't get why that bothers you. You must always be aware of what is behind your target but that shouldn't prevent you from partaking in off season shooting or hunting of pests and predators.

6x6pinz
December 23, 2011, 02:40 PM
I've gotta say this statement baffles the heck out of me since every year for 3 or 4 months people by the millions are riding and walking around doing just that while hunting so I don't get why that bothers you. You must always be aware of what is behind your target but that shouldn't prevent you from partaking in off season shooting or hunting of pests and predators.

Because my tent has a hole in it about 3 feet up from some Ahole doing just this practice. fortunately we were by the fire and not in the tent. My sentiment exactly is that you should be aware of target and beyond and that is difficult if you just jump out of your vehicle while driving along and start blasting, especially with a hi caliber rifle or even a 22 for that matter. Seen this happen too many times when people think there is no one around. I spend a ton more time out of the cities than most and get to see alot of strange happenings. This practice is by far the most disturbing for me.
I am from AZ and a bullet can travel a very long way in the desert before it makes contact with something or someone.

Keeterbird
December 23, 2011, 02:51 PM
If you can find one, A Savage 12 ga Bolt action shot gun.

Cheap, reliable, safe and can hit accurately any necessary target. Then just throw in a variety of shells and most pests are able to be taken care of.

Ghost Tracker
December 23, 2011, 02:52 PM
a bullet can travel a very long way in the desert Bullets go farther in the desert? How much farther?

Gunnerboy
December 23, 2011, 02:55 PM
sks is my next truck gun had my ak74 for a while grew tired of the worries of the next state trooper freakin out at me over that assault clip machine gun heat seekin missle launcher sittin on the back seat

6x6pinz
December 23, 2011, 03:02 PM
Bullets go farther in the desert? How much farther?

ain't got no stinkin trees to get in the way. Only have those ****cans and that is not a big loss.

X-Rap
December 23, 2011, 03:08 PM
So you think there should be some stronger regulations on how guns are kept in vehicles??
Or that shooting on public lands should be regulated more??

6x6pinz
December 23, 2011, 03:27 PM
I think people should be more RESPONSIBLE. Here in AZ (I don't know the rules of other states) if you are caught leaving your truck and shooting at critters it is a pretty heafty fine and loss of hunting rights. The Arizona Game and Fish would consider it "road hunting" which is already illegal. They do not differentiate between game animals and other wildlife. If you don't get off the road it is another fine for shooting from a road and a road is not always blacktop.

Plenty of rules, people just need to follow them.

kbbailey
December 23, 2011, 04:35 PM
The ranch scenario accounts for what - like maybe 0.00000001% of the visitors to this board?

Count me in that percentage. .....yeah farm/ranch life is different(thank God).

Ole Humpback
December 23, 2011, 04:47 PM
If were talking most things such as an uninvited passengers, I'd say that a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec fields all those categories just fine. If were talking bigger badder critters (as in acutal game), I'd get an old Milsurp SMLE. Theres a rifle that you can guarantee will function even if you try greasing the action with mud.

Picher
December 23, 2011, 05:11 PM
In Maine, we can shoot from unpaved roads, but can't have a loaded hunting firearm in the vehicle or touch a vehicle while the gun is loaded. The only exception is for "defense handguns" when the person has a concealed weapons permit.

Commonly, in the North Maine Woods, people stop to shoot grouse from the roads with a shotgun; also walk old roads, with or without dogs. Shooting down a gravel road with a rifle is frowned on for safety reasons, but not illegal.

As one warden explained it, a TC in .410/.45 or .35 Rem isn't regarded as a defense handgun and must be unloaded in a vehicle, but a 1911, .45ACP is generally considered a defense gun (unless the warden sees you shooting at game from the vehicle with it). I wouldn't want to run into a young warden who might interpret the law differently.

dirtengineer
December 23, 2011, 06:54 PM
Bullets go farther in the desert? How much farther?
Terrain also limits how far a bullet travels. I mostly hunt in mountainous terrain. The bullet stops at the first rise.

Ragnar Danneskjold
December 23, 2011, 07:00 PM
I've had 1 gun stolen from me. I know 1 other person who has also had a gun stolen from them. Both were from our vehicles. Don't leave a gun in your vehicle unless you are ok with losing to a criminal.

Batta
December 23, 2011, 07:22 PM
Well I guess I should clarify my needs a bit. I work on a farm and we have the occasional need to put an animal down. As well as maybe a spot and stalk on a coyote now and then or a ground hog that I might see. I'm not planning to shoot from the truck (illegal in my state) but just have it available at short notice. I also drive by several farms daily that I have permission to hunt. I definatly want it to be inexpensive so if it gets scratched I'm not out much.

I appreciate all of the response and there are several guns I would not have considered that would work.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming

ldhulk
December 23, 2011, 07:27 PM
It would seem logical to me that, like a "deer rifle" or an "elephant gun", a truck gun would be one suitable for shooting trucks. I think you need to specify whether you are thinking of Ford Ranger size or something like a Peterbilt.

Batta
December 23, 2011, 07:46 PM
Mostly smaller ford ranger type game

Saakee
December 23, 2011, 07:52 PM
The sub2000 always seemed like a pretty good choice for a truck gun to me. It might not have the range of rifle calibers but since it can fold down, with a gunlock, you could secure it to your seat mount and it could be mostly invisible.

But a truck gun for me would be more likely to be used to finish off an animal hit by a car rather than using it to take care of pests.

kfgk14
December 23, 2011, 07:56 PM
I'd say SKS, capable of dispatching game up to deer size is ideal. With the Tapco 922R conversion kit, it would be a capable defensive arm as well. Accurate enough for varmint dispatch. Just put a good Blue Force Gear or equivalent sling on it and get a few 20 round Tapco magazines.
That's what I have, along with a Ruger 10/22 as a general fun-gun in the lock box.

Good luck with your purchase.

Batta
December 23, 2011, 08:00 PM
Sks isn't a bad idea and Not terribly expensive.

Risky buisness
December 23, 2011, 08:10 PM
So as not to AMP anybody up, confuse any one or other wise demean there personal choices as to a firearm to be included for transportation in a vehicle I will mention that MY personal choice, as one of the .0000001%( mentioned earlier) is a properly cased well maintained and proven SKS rifle with several 10 round stripper clips nearby, leaves the rifle and associated springs empty and uncompressed, perfectly legal in my area and has been usefull in the past

minutemen1776
December 23, 2011, 08:14 PM
For the OP's stated needs, an inexpensive bolt-action or single-shot rifle chambered in something between .17 HMR and .243 (depending on anticipated range) would work well. I'd suggest a separate handgun for defensive use.

Mostly smaller ford ranger type game

For Ford Rangers, I suggest a .22 Short, or perhaps a BB or paintball gun. My Ranger would break down if you looked at it funny.

Unless specifically defined by the user (as the OP has now done), I'm afraid that a "truck gun" is just another category of firearm contrived for the purpose of creating, and then filling, a perceived hole in a collection of firearms, which likely already has several firearms that could easily fulfill the intended uses of said "truck gun." Not that there's anything wrong with that... :)

Ghost Tracker
December 23, 2011, 08:38 PM
is just another category of firearm contrived for the purpose of creating, and then filling, a perceived hole in a collection Glad you mentioned that, I'm reminded that I very much need a New Year's Eve Beretta Silver Pigeon II. :cool:

mljdeckard
December 23, 2011, 08:54 PM
I keep an SKS I have Tapcoed out. And yes, WEG, it is ALL of those things. I am in a position where I might jump in the truck to run out to the desert at any time. And many places in which I have recreated have had massive pot grows busted. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. If the handgun is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have put down in the first place, it makes good sense to actually have a rifle. It might not fit EVERYone's lifestyle, but it fits mine.

And it can take a LOT of abuse and still go bang.

smithman 10
December 23, 2011, 09:46 PM
What about us poor fellers with no truck? Should we have "car gun" locked in the trunk?

Let's say you have a carry permit. So you have a handgun. But you travel a lot and wouldn't mind having something longer with you should the need arise. (Don't ask me what might trigger that need, haven't thought that far!)

Granted, it's unlikely most of us will ever need to unlimber our handgun for self defense - but comforting to have one just in case. Same with a long gun.

Anyway, unloaded long gun in the trunk is legal in Virginia, I believe. Sure hope so, since that's the way I travel almost weekly when going to the range.

Maybe a Winchester 94 .30-30. Or a beat up old bolt (any make) .30-06 with iron sights. Or an SKS. Just a few of the rifles I might consider putting in the "boot" and wouldn't fret too much if it got stolen.

Ragnar Danneskjold
December 23, 2011, 09:51 PM
What about us poor fellers with no truck? Should we have "car gun" locked in the trunk?

If you like waking up to find your car door got slim jimmed in about 5 seconds and your gun is gone.

Vehicle locks =/= secure.

smithman 10
December 23, 2011, 10:04 PM
If I had one I believe the plan would be to take it back in the house each day when I got home!

And again, wouldn't carry any firearm around and leave it in the trunk even for an hour unless it was one that I could live without if it was stolen.

FYI, working as a photographer I used to carry thousands of bucks worth of camera gear around for decades, always locked and concealed in the trunk, of course.

Never lost the first item to theft.

X-Rap
December 23, 2011, 10:29 PM
Thats the beauty of a clean garage or shop and a long lane and dogs that keep an eye on things.
There are things that one can do to lock guns up better than just having them in the passenger compartment or the trunk and I would encourage that, I rarely go to the big towns without extra measures to secure any guns that are left in a vehicle. No 1 is keep things out of site. Cable and long shank bike locks help too.

igousigloo
December 23, 2011, 10:29 PM
I think that the term Truck Gun comes from farm and ranch life. There was a 2 gun rack in the back window. If you lived in brush country one was a 22 and the other was a 30.30 Lever. If you lived in plains country, one was a 22 and the other was a 30.06. Bolt.

jimniowa
December 23, 2011, 11:00 PM
To me a truck gun is a long gun not a side arm, or hand gun. I carry two, both can be used for survival and preditor dispatching. One is a Marlin 1894P, it has a 16.25" ported barrel and loaded with .44mag 240 jsp bullets with recvr sights. The other is a 12 gauge 20" coach gun loaded with oo buckshot

NWCP
December 23, 2011, 11:34 PM
A Mossberg 500 resides in my van. Inexpensive, reliable and effective. When I leave the van for the evening so does the shotgun. Never leave a loaded gun in an unoccupied vehicle. JMHO

DaisyCutter
December 24, 2011, 12:19 AM
Mosin M-44

I didn't see it listed in 3 pages of responses. I paid $49.95 for mine from J&G several years ago. It's a clean one, basically indestructible design, and powerful enough to kill anything big enough to die. That's my truck gun.

I keep an M-16A1 in my car. Car and gun were free.

Batta
December 24, 2011, 07:52 AM
How accurate are those mosin nagants?

CZ223
December 24, 2011, 08:29 AM
I think for your purposes you are probably on the right track with the H&R Handi-rifle or something like that. The heavy barreled guns can be very accurate and with a moderately priced scope you can reach out and touch a ground hog, prairie dog or, coyote at a couple hundred yards. I would go with something in 223 or 243, or maybe both if you can get one with two barrels. If you don't need that kind of accuracy and would like something with a little more power than a 22, I would consider a Saiga in 223 or 7.62x39.

Batta
December 24, 2011, 09:50 AM
Yes I was considering something in .223 just because I'm already set up to reload that cartridge.

T.R.
December 24, 2011, 10:01 AM
How 'bout a grease gun? You might have to grease something. Just kidding. :)

TR

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/m3a1f.jpg

35 Whelen
December 24, 2011, 11:04 AM
It's funny the diversity that exists on this forum. For a long time I could never understand why anyone would want an M4 or some such for a SHTF or survival rifle. Then I realized that most people here live in town and their needs for firearms are different than mine. When I think survival, I think of feeding my family first, as in harvesting game, then defense second. The fact that I live in a rural area shapes my needs much more differently than an urban dweller.

Enter the "truck" gun. Folks who've lived in the city all their lives see this term and many envision some idiot driving up and down coutry roads looking for something to shoot with his "truck" gun. On the other hand, someone living on a ranch or farm knows a truck gun is a utility firearm; something used to pop a coyote, finish off an injured animal, etc.

My truck gun depends on the situation. Sometimes my "truck" is the tractor. If I'm on the tractor, I'll typically sling one of my Yugo SKS's over the light bar. In the truck it might be my Mini-14 or a Savage 22/410. When I help a friend on her farm/ranch, my truck gun is always my Scout rifle as it will handle just about any task from close to far.

35W

kludge
December 24, 2011, 11:13 AM
SKS

ball3006
December 24, 2011, 11:36 AM
My "truck gun" is whatever I happen to have in the truck at the time. It could be anything in my safe. I do not leave it in the truck when I am home or shopping because I live in the city. Once I move to east Texas or the UP, it will probably be left in the truck. However, I am not up on MI laws with respect to guns in the car at the moment.....chris3

Lateck
December 24, 2011, 11:39 AM
To me it would be a Sub-2000 or a good old lever carbine .30-30.

Lateck,

Zach S
December 24, 2011, 11:59 AM
It varies depending on who you talk to.

For me, its something I can toss behind my seat without worry of it getting scratched or beat up, no sentimental value, and not so expensive that I have to eat ramen for a month or two to replace. Handguns must meet my minimum requirements (accurate, dependable, 9mm luger or .38 special at least). Long guns must also be capable of handling Ford Ranger size game, as Peterbilts aren't a concern (being a gearhead, I really like that anology).

My Glock 19 was purchased NIB for beater/car/truck gun purposes, and when it comes to long arms my 7.62 Saiga and/or Mossberg 590 fill the role well. More often than not, my Saiga is used due to the detachable magazines.

floorit76
December 24, 2011, 12:03 PM
35Whelen, My thoughts exactly.

35 Whelen
December 24, 2011, 12:35 PM
...and by the way, I've thought many, many times about getting a Marlin Papoose to keep in the truck on a permanent basis. They're so short and handy.

35W

floorit76
December 24, 2011, 12:47 PM
It's nice to know it's there, but it's a little slow to get into action. I think I'm going to Duracoat it so I don't have to keep such a close eye on it. There isn't much that needs done around here that can't be done with a 22, short of a coyote out in the field.

skoro
December 24, 2011, 12:56 PM
what are you keeping with you all of the time in your trunks

Well, I only have a single particular "gun" that I carry in my trunks. And it's been with me from day one. ;)

In my truck, I keep a S&W Model 64 revolver loaded with hardcast 38+P semiwadcutters. It's not what I'd recommend to anyone else, but it suits me just fine. YMMV

chieftain
December 24, 2011, 02:25 PM
When I was a young'un I hung a shotgun, 22, and during hunting season a 30-30 in the window of my Pickup. That was in Florida starting in the early 60's.

When America changed and became anti-gun, I put that Shotgun, and 22 behind the seat.

When I moved out west to Arizona, i began to carry a handgun and rifle most of the time. The handgun was a either a 357mag, SIG 228 or 1911. The rifle was almost always either a Winchester 94 or Marlin 336 both in 30-30. I do think the SKS is a perfect option too.

Now I only drive a car, and wear a Ltwgt Commander, with a pretty little marlin 16" stainless 30-30 in the trunk.

Each of us must first generate the equivalent of a mission statement. What is the purpose of the weapon, legal ramifications etc...., then choose. There really isn't any right or wrong.

As to the guy who keeps having weapons stolen out of his vehicle, I think he has other problems that he needs to fix. I have been driving with a weapon in my vehicle for 50 years, ain't lost one yet. Lived in the country, city, and suburbs. Big city's small towns, and no towns. Good neighborhoods, and bad. I guess some of us are lucky, and others...........

By the way, I have now lived in Arizona for over 35 years. I want to know where I get some of that ammo that shoots further in the desert. My ammo for some reason shoots just like it did, most every where else I have ever used it.

Merry Christmas, and may peace find all men.

Fred

M1key
December 25, 2011, 12:26 AM
Saiga 5.45x39 loaded with 60gr Vmax and FMJ

M

Stacer
December 25, 2011, 01:45 AM
right now? a no 5 jungle carbine. But for it to be effective I should probably put some ammo in the truck too. Usually my truck gun is whatever pistol I'm carrying that day.

cooldude14
December 25, 2011, 01:48 AM
A cheap bubba milsurp like an enfield or mosin

marine 97-03
December 25, 2011, 11:40 AM
I could see a sks working there...or maybe a 9mm carbine with +p...like a 995 ts

swamp rooster
December 26, 2011, 01:14 AM
I am in the woods almost every day for my job, I like to have a rifle with me all the time. I have had a lot of different guns that I have used. One of my favorites was a marlin bolt action 22mag. I also carried a model 94 Winchester 45 colt trapper, it was a very handy little gun. I think a good pick up gun should be multiple purpose tool, used for hunting ( at least in my neck of the woods) and as with about any gun, to protect if needed. As of now my pick up gun is a ruger scout and it is about as handy as it gets. I take it with me every were I go and I do know that it will get lot more wear and tear for this reason but that is what I bought it for.
The advantage to having a gun like this is that you get to use it more than one that you keep in the safe and take out now and then. If it is with you all the time you are more likely to take a little time and get some shooting in, plus if you have it and you get the chance at a coyote or what ever you will have the tool to get the job done. You get very familiar with the gun you have with you every day and that makes you effective with it. I also think it all depends on were you live and what you need the tool/gun for, as was said here before the diversity of the board is great.. I like the different opinions and use people have on here. I think it would be impossible to put your finger on the perfect pick up gun but the self searching one needs to do to come up with what they think is best for them selves is a lot of the fun. Swamp Rooster.

gunner69
December 26, 2011, 01:42 AM
It depends on todays "mission." Could be a pistol, rifle, shotgun or whatever. However, the old SKS is a handy, deer caliber, dependable battle rifle. I got my first when it was fired at me in Viet Nam. I was quicker, and luckyer than my adversary. An SKS can be bought fairly cheeply, has a good cheep ammunition selection, and can provide good dependable defensive fire if needed. It usually doesn't scare hell out of the local law enforcement folks unless tricked out. I never did like the "squirrel rifles" we were provided anyway. If you have to shoot something three or more times....... get another caliber!!!!!

wildchild2010
December 26, 2011, 02:44 AM
How accurate are those mosin nagants?

As accurate as the shooter is, cheap gun, cheap ammo and both are great for cold weather truck guns.

ROCK6
December 26, 2011, 08:07 AM
Each of us must first generate the equivalent of a mission statement. What is the purpose of the weapon, legal ramifications etc...., then choose. There really isn't any right or wrong.

Quite sage advice and really the answer to what a "truck gun" is. I too have lived in most parts of the US (active military) and the definition and mission of a "truck gun" could range anywhere from a .22LR pistol to your seasonal deer hunting rifle or fowl bird gun or even an AR carbine type rifle.

I consider the "truck gun" to mostly be a long-gun, but I could see the need is some situations where it could be just a .22LR pistol/revolver. Theft is a concern, but that really depends on where you live, where you work and what you do.

Defining the mission will determine if you really need one and I don't think a gun dedicated to a vehicle is for everyone. My reasons have been everything from a hopefull opportunity to do some hunting after work to traveling for the job and wanting a little insurance if something bad happened. In central Texas, wild dogs were such a nuisance that shooting them on sight was acceptable practice outside city limits; the same was true of coyotes up in WA near the Canadian border.

I personally never left a long gun in my truck where it wasn't "moderately" secure. Sure it's a risk, but everyone must conduct their own risk analysis to include the legal ramifications as chieftain mentioned before considering a dedicated truck (or any vehicle) gun.

If you're not in an area where pest control is the norm or you're not carrying a hunting firearm for those chance opportunities of hunting time, than your reasons are most likely more towards insurance against an event that might require serious self-defense. I consider that last scenario one of the least likely, but everybody needs to assess their own situation and make their own decisions. I really like the idea of a cheap 12 gauge pump shotgun...even the two-barrel combo's can be found quite cheap. If it's not hunting season, you can always be prepared to shoot skeet or clays; either way, a shotgun can be an effective tool against pests, deer hunting opportunities (legal of course), a couple hours of skeet after work or self defense under the worst possible scenario.

Another consideration is if your vehicle breaks-down. I would hate to leave any firearm in my truck where I knew it wasn't under any type of moderate security. I live out in the country with a long drive way and I work on a secure installation; never any troubles with a firearm stored and out of sight. Even if I broke down a few phone calls and you could get the wife, friend or relative to come meet you (that's my plan if the truck needed to be towed). Again, define your need, assess your situation relevant to your environment and activities and make informed decisions on what's best for you and your interests after taking all aspects into account.

I've had ammunition stored in my vehicle for exteneded periods in extreme heat. I never had an issue, but my rule of thumb is no more than six months and it gets rotated out. Corrosion is also a concern, especially in the high-humidity areas and seasons. I've never had any issues, but I've seen what salt water can do to "boat-guns" that my father-in-law keeps on his fishing boats...a little surface tarnish isn't a mission stopper, but corrosion can jack up your internals if you're not careful.

ROCK6

swamp rooster
December 26, 2011, 10:32 AM
I never leave my gun in the truck over night. Not because theft but because of care and maintenance for the gun. The temperature going up and down causing condensation let alone rain or snow can make a mess out of a rifle. I figure even if it is a cheap or junky rifle you might as well take as good of care of it as possible. My Dad was a former Marine and he made me wipe my red rider bb gun down at night if I had it out . Taking care of a gun is something he pounded in my head and now doing it actually relaxes me... it is one of the last things I do at night before bed. Swamp Rooster

Moose458
December 26, 2011, 10:37 AM
My trurk gun when traveling.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg92/Moose458/412197-R1-15-16.jpg

marine 97-03
December 26, 2011, 10:39 AM
Mosin,s are ssooooo long it seem like they have 30" barrels

CZ223
December 26, 2011, 10:42 AM
when my family moved to Maine, it seemed like every pick-up truck I saw had a rifle rack in the rear window. It also seemed like every one of them had a rifle, usually a lever action 30-30, and a pump shotgun in them. Most of those same pickups were never locked and you never heard of anyone's guns being stolen. Sadly, all of that has changed. You almost never see a gun rack in a pick-up anymore and, when you do, it is either empty or holding a level or fishing rod, and the doors are locked when unattended.
My f-250 is generally equipped with a Mossberg 590, a bandolier of shells, and a Saiga with two mags of ammo, behind the seat. I have a three gun carrier strapped to the seats of my Toyota Matrix which usually hold an AR-15, an 870 and, some other rifle. I also carry 3 mags of ammo for the AR and a bandolier full of shells for the 870. Depending on what third gun is, I will have appropriate ammo for it. I don't worry about guns getting stolen, it hasn't happened in 20 years, so I just don't worry about it. I also usually have at least one spare handgun in the vehicle in addition to the one I carry on my hip at all times, a 1911. I have a had to dispatch an injured deer once. The reason that I keep guns with me all the time is mostly so I can go shooting when the opportunity presents itself.

jlmdlm
December 26, 2011, 11:00 AM
How about a Savage Model 24 in 12 gauge / 223 combo. Neat little guns. I have always wanted one.

centurion94
December 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
T.R. - please tell me that that M-3 is a repro and there are more just like it with my name on one!

Batta
December 26, 2011, 01:54 PM
There are a lot of interesting suggestions. I think I have come up with a temporary solution. What I'm going to do is test the water with my old 870 express 20ga. I'm going to start carrying it in the truck and go from there I have a smooth bore slug barrel that will shoot rifled slugs taking care of most situations and I can also shoot 00 buck. I think that combo will take care of about everything. Except for small varmints wich I'm leaning toward a single shot or bolt action 17hmr in the long run. I have heard of that being enough to take out a coyote at about 100 plus yards if it's not to windy. And the ammo is cheap.

mtrmn
December 26, 2011, 06:07 PM
The truck's even in the pic

DaisyCutter
December 26, 2011, 06:38 PM
Mosin,s are ssooooo long it seem like they have 30" barrels

The Mosin M44 I keep in my rig is functionally no longer than my Russian SKS. I recall I once held 'em side by side, and there was no appreciable difference. My FAL is a lot longer than either.

waidmann
December 26, 2011, 09:39 PM
Farmer's friend, a modest, reasonably accurate, scoped .243.

bowyer19
December 27, 2011, 12:20 AM
The 17 HMR is too light for a coyote gun, unless you don't mind them running off after they are hit.

Winkey
December 27, 2011, 01:26 AM
im in that percentage too, thank god lol

Winkey
December 27, 2011, 01:28 AM
a good old 10/22 in most cases, AR would be ideal

wyohome
December 27, 2011, 01:38 AM
Remington Sportsman 78 or 788 in .243 and a 4 power scope.

Para Cassatt
December 27, 2011, 01:48 AM
I consider a carbine the best truck gun for my needs and it's most often my 30-30 Marlin. If I plan to go where extended range may be needed then I choose an appropriate substitute.

If you enjoyed reading about "What "truck" guns would you recomend" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!