Concerns about getting my first gun

PDA

theCloud
December 23, 2011, 12:12 PM
So I've gone shooting, took a course, tried out a variety of guns, and even have narrowed down to what guns I am interested in buying. I've located a few LGS to shop around for the best price, found some decent shooting ranges, etc. But I am still hesitating on pulling the trigger so to say.

My biggest concern is safety. Not so much the NDs because that is something we all can control- there is nobody to blame but yourself if you shoot yourself while cleaning the gun or if you are showing off your new handgun and mistakenly shoot your best friend. We have control over this.

Handguns are a means of self-defense and there are several stories that handguns do save lives and prevent crime. But I feel like guns also attract the wrong element- it can place you at increased risk of robbery or violence. People rob houses for guns. I could be followed home from the gun shop, from buying ammo at wal-mart, from the shooting range? Or at the parking lot when things are all locked up. Why not? Those are all signs you have a gun.

The knee-jerk answer would be to get a CCW and train. Problem solved. BUT... as a new shooter, I'm still learning the basics and I don't trust myself to draw my gun quick enough at gunpoint to prevent a robbery. It also takes time. Even with CCW some criminals are desperate enough to take your life for a range bag. And what if there are multiple assailants? I'm no Waco Kid, even if I had years of training. And CCW is not a replacement for situational awareness- why put yourself in harm's way or allow yourself to get into a SHTF situation?

Then there is the issue of others at the shooting range. I'm not white and that's a concern. Where I live it's probably 90% white. And we have some KKK groups here too. Don't really wanna go shooting when the KKK has it's meet up out at the local range. Now my experiences with the LGS and my training course have been very positive, but the mutual love for 2A does not always conquer all prejudices.

I don't know, am I being too paranoid? Just wanna hear your thoughts on this and if anybody else went through the same thought process when getting their first gun. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Concerns about getting my first gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LNK
December 23, 2011, 12:23 PM
I think it is good you are considering things that "could" happen, however, you have to take a plunge sometime. The main thing is to be aware of what goes on around you at all times. Not like a guard dog, just aware so that you can assess any threat ahead of time. I don't know where you are, but most gun people I have encountered are good people, it's a shame that there are even the thoughts about your color entering into your equation. I haven't walked a mile in your shoes, but I wouldn't worry about those K's. At least you will be prepared (armed) should that situation arise. I vote for going ahead and find someone to help you in your learning process. I would help you if you live around me, and I am sure there others near you that will help also. Good luck.

LNK

LKB3rd
December 23, 2011, 12:39 PM
Too paranoid? Possibly, but I think being cautious is a good idea. I agree that being aware of your surroundings is something that is always a good idea, and can get you past many of your concerns.

Just my $.02, but if you've decided it's something you want to do, I would just do it with the intention of considering and trying to counter any risks of the type you have described.

Buck Kramer
December 23, 2011, 12:48 PM
I had some of your concerns when I first carried also. I have been carrying for 3 months now and now I dont even consciously know I'm carrying anymore. Just like you throw your wallet in your pocket in the morning you strap on a gun too. As for being a new shooter, I wouldn't worry about it, train as much as possible and you will still be worlds ahead of any other victim. Like LNK said you're already a step ahead if you are armed. I was paranoid (like a lot of people are) at first when I started carrying that someone would notice I was carrying. Now Its not a big deal at all, everyone is way too busy in their own lives and walking around in "white". I started with a BG 380 and now I carry a full size 9mm. I would recommend starting small though.

As far as the K's go, I wouldn't worry about it. Though small minded, it doesn't take a genius to know its a bad idea to shoot up a shooting range. Good luck.

chhodge69
December 23, 2011, 12:49 PM
Discretion and situational awareness are important regardless. Coming from the jewelry store, electronics department or ATM can make you a target too. If you don't allow the criminal unknown stop you from living other parts of your life, why would you do it now?

Wanderling
December 23, 2011, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't be worried that someone will follow me home from WallMart or a gun shop. If you're worried, just take a couple of side roads that are not busy and see if the same car is behind you. Although this IS paranoid.

Don't tell people that you have a gun, unless you know them well and know that they wouldn't tell others about it.

And don't give up your rights just because someone may not like your skin color. It's none of their business. I have an accent and some people may not like that; but I won't let them make it my problem.

MtnCreek
December 23, 2011, 12:56 PM
Paranoid? Sorry, but your post just does not sound right. If you're up&up and are really concerned about the klan; I don't think that would be anything to worry about. We have several klan groups around here and they're pretty much a joke.

Skribs
December 23, 2011, 01:04 PM
Guns are simply a tool to aid in self defense. Good awareness keeps you out of situations where you have to use it, but that won't keep you out of 100% of those situations. In those cases, drawing may dissuade your attacker, and if not then the gun actively serves to stop the threat.

To plan ahead for your home getting broken into, keep your guns somewhere where they will be easily accessible to yourself, but not to the attacker. Hide it in a cutout book or some non-obvious spot, or use a gunsafe (especially a digital safe, which is easier to operate at night). If you're not home, the thief may find the hiding spot or crack the safe (or if it's a pistol safe, take it with them), and if so it's no different for you than any other robbery. Hopefully you're insured, and otherwise not much you can do. However, if you're home, it will slow them down in finding your gun, but you will still have access to it for defensive purposes.

A decent safe will also keep kids out (well, it will keep them out as good as any other safety mechanism) and help prevent NDs.

outdoorsman1
December 23, 2011, 01:05 PM
Saftey and caution are a good thing... but almost everything you have mentioned in the OP can apply to many other daily life activities... If you drive a nice car, your a target, if you dress in a suit and tie, your a target, if your black and in the wrong area your a target, if your white and in the wrong area your a target, etc. etc. etc. Not being ready to draw quickly is better than not having anything to draw... I do understand the race concern as obvioulsy there is some real reasons to feel that way, but I guess even that could apply to other daily activities that could possibly turn life threating... Even more reason to be able to defend yourself. I think most of what you are feeling is beginners nerves and will get better and even, in time, be gone. You said it yourself, the firearm itself is nothing to fear with proper safe handling, so once you get some experiance under you belt (no pun intended), I think you will do just fine...

Outdoorsman1

leadcounsel
December 23, 2011, 01:30 PM
Cloud, your concerns are entirely nonsense. Get a gun, go train, and just practice safety. Get a small safe to keep your gun in when you aren't home.

mg.mikael
December 23, 2011, 02:06 PM
But I feel like guns also attract the wrong element- it can place you at increased risk of robbery or violence. People rob houses for guns.

Your at a risk of robbery because you don't have any guns, it's alot easier to rob someone who doesn't protect themselves them someone who took the initiative to exercise their 2nd amendment right.

People certainly do rob houses for guns, but they rob houses for jewlery, tools, cash, electronics, and whatever else tickles their fancy. But if you have a gun at least you can prevent this.

Where I live it's probably 90% white. And we have some KKK groups here too. Don't really wanna go shooting when the KKK has it's meet up out at the local range.

What is all this paranoid talk about the KKK? Do you have proof of this or is this just stereotyping? Where do you live that you fear the KKK? Or better yet what era?

I don't think this a risk just because most of the people in your neighborhood happen to be caucasian. If you ask me sounds like your being off the wall paranoid and beliving too much in some racial stereotypes. For example: that's like if a white guy said I fear going to the range because their might be a Black Panther meeting. See it sounds downright foolish to talk like that.

NavyLCDR
December 23, 2011, 02:28 PM
Handguns are a means of self-defense and there are several stories that handguns do save lives and prevent crime. But I feel like guns also attract the wrong element- it can place you at increased risk of robbery or violence. People rob houses for guns. I could be followed home from the gun shop, from buying ammo at wal-mart, from the shooting range? Or at the parking lot when things are all locked up. Why not? Those are all signs you have a gun.

Welcome to the forum and the gun community!

Coming from the "outside" we can certainly understand the reasons why you make the statement above. However, just the opposite is actually true. Criminals tend to avoid and stay away from armed citizens and armed households.

Please read page 12 (printed page 12) of this document:
http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/6.0/Gun-Facts-v6.0-screen.pdf

The whole page is applicable to your situation and the entire document is a good read.

460Kodiak
December 23, 2011, 02:46 PM
And CCW is not a replacement for situational awareness- why put yourself in harm's way or allow yourself to get into a SHTF situation?

This is the best advice you can follow, and I'm glad to hear you say it. A gun is a supplement to defend yourself. Your first tool of self defense is your brain, regardless of where you live, and what the community is like. A lot of people are saying you are being overly paranoid, but you know your home and community best. I believe you can't live in fear, but paranoia can save your life. If things feel "off" get the hell out of the situation. If you can't get out, that's when a concealed gun comes into play. Never, ever, before that. I think a prudent person carries a gun when ever they can, and has one in their home to defend it, so my opinion is go buy one, and practice...... a lot.

If you can, move. And always remember the saying "Never go somewhere you wouldn't go without a gun."

hermannr
December 23, 2011, 02:47 PM
Hej Cloud! Obviously you have never been in the military. Their are great people of all races, and bad guys of all races, it has nothing to do with race, it has to do with how you conduct yourself personally. Don't ALLOW anyone to intimidate you, for any reason.

Yes, there are white people that think they are the only humans, all others are subhuman...and their are black people that feel exactly the same way about their race and will try to intimidate a white guy...just don't Allow them to do that to you. Not confrontational, just no boot licking either.

If you are new to shooting may I suggest you find a used (if money is a concern) .22 pistol and practice, practice, practice. When you feel very confident with that .22, go to a range that rents guns and try several different pistols...then purchase the one you do the best with.

As to will owning a firearm making you a "target"? I don't think so. Most burglers would rather hit "soft" targets, the ones that cannot/will not fight back.

I have owned firearms for over 50 years, I have OCd a sidearm for over 40 years....never had a problem. I doubt you will either. Use common sense and do not intentionally put yourself in dangerous situations. You should carry for the same reason you have a fire extinguisher at home, you hope you never need it, but you are happy it is there if you do ever need it.

Gordon_Freeman
December 23, 2011, 02:49 PM
Just use your brain and you most likely will never get into a self defense situation.

Gryffydd
December 23, 2011, 02:58 PM
What is all this paranoid talk about the KKK? Do you have proof of this or is this just stereotyping? Where do you live that you fear the KKK? Or better yet what era?
When I lived there not many years ago Harrison, AR was still a very unfriendly place if you were black. Just head over to http://www.kkk.com/ and tell me what address you see right at the top of the page.
I know living in Chicago it's easy to forget places like that continue in this "era".

I don't want to denigrate the area, I was born there and have family there and in general people are great there. But there are pockets of that culture that remain to this day.

youngda9
December 23, 2011, 03:07 PM
Carry at home until you're comftorable with it. Practice your draw stroke there, with an un-loaded firear. Read to know the laws of your state and when deadly force is justified to protect yourself or your loved ones.

Be aware of your surroundings...but lose the paranoia. All the scenarios you presented could happen for any reason. They could come after you for your wallet or your sneakers. Do you want to have the ability to protect yourself or not....that is the only question that you need to ask yourself.

Dr.Mall Ninja
December 23, 2011, 03:54 PM
Saftey and caution are a good thing... but almost everything you have mentioned in the OP can apply to many other daily life activities... If you drive a nice car, your a target, if you dress in a suit and tie, your a target, if your black and in the wrong area your a target, if your white and in the wrong area your a target, etc. etc. etc

I agree, a BMW would make you a target much faster then owning a gun, but would you hestiate to drive it if someone gave you one?

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
December 23, 2011, 10:15 PM

I don't think this a risk just because most of the people in your neighborhood happen to be caucasian. If you ask me sounds like your being off the wall paranoid and beliving too much in some racial stereotypes. For example: that's like if a white guy said I fear going to the range because their might be a Black Panther meeting. See it sounds downright foolish to talk like that.

mg.mikael, You obviously have not had any dealings down south there buddy. I grew up in the heart of KKK land. Black folk didn't live there long. They either moved in the middle of the night or were found hung in their yards the next morning. And this sir was in the 60's and 70's!! You would still be hard pressed to find a black family living around where I was raised. Unfortunately, the KKK does still exist. While granted, to me and anyone else of any intelligence, they are jokes, the problem is, they pose a threat still to anyone of color. I do not know where the OP lives but if he feels that there is a possible threat from them, I would highly doubt that it is complete paranoia. For you to simply dismiss his worry as paranoia is a bit obtuse to say the least. The problem still exists. Granted not on the same levels as in the past, but to say that it's not still a worry in some areas is just naive.

OP, most here have given you some good solid advise. Keep practicing too where you feel confident. I would say that you are worried a bit to much about the robbers following you home from the gun stores. They are actually more apt to follow you from a supermarket or jewelry store than from a gun shop. Hard to "case" a gun shop out. Most gun shop owners are extremely aware of the cars outside and would notice a case job.

Standing Wolf
December 23, 2011, 10:20 PM
...we have some KKK groups here too. Don't really wanna go shooting when the KKK has it's meet up out at the local range.

It's conceivable you have a Ku Klux Klan klavern in the area, but those boys are nothing to be concerned about: at least half of them are F, B, and I agents or informers.

In full seriousness: nobody need know you have guns, and very few people would dare try to take it from you. Think about it: would you try to take a gun away from someone? Steal it from your house? Yeah, maybe, but you need to bear in mind most criminals are cowards, and look for the defenseless, the weak, the victims they're sure won't fight back or get ticked off and come after them.

Chin up where it belongs, theCloud. Build your skills steadily, and try not to be surprised when you find yourself walking taller.

dirtengineer
December 24, 2011, 03:07 AM
Be discreet, get training, get a small safe like a gunvault at the same time (or before) your purchase. Don't let small minded idiots like skinheads, kkk, etc. drive your decisions.

That being said, if you aren't comfortable yet, then wait to purchase. Find some friends who are gun owners. Or just go to the range and see how things are.

mmitch
December 24, 2011, 11:04 AM
Armed or not, take responsibility to refuse to lead a fear-driven life.

Mike

JoeMal
December 24, 2011, 11:19 AM
People could also follow you home from Walmart when you have a huge TV in your cart.

Or when you leave Best Buy with a computer in your cart

Or when you leave the furniture store with a leather sofa in the truck bed.

This could happen anywhere, anytime, from really any scenario.

And think of it this way; the person robbing you is knowingly robbing someone who has a gun. They will think twice about who to mess with. While a reasonable thought, I think you are worrying too much about it. After you buy your first gun, 6 months down the road, you will laugh at this post.

Hope you enjoy your new hobby. Welcome to the site.

ShawnC
December 25, 2011, 04:10 AM
Do you obsess like this on your way home from the bank? That would make you a more likely target than coming home from a gun store. If they know you have a gun, they won't follow you home. Who follows a guy with a gun for criminal purposes and doesn't expect to get shot? Bad guys go after weaker prey than gun owners.

stickhauler
December 25, 2011, 04:17 AM
Ya'all might notice, in a thread with 24 posts so far, the OP has yet to answer any comment made about their "concerns" about alleged Klan activity. Do I smell troll?

Mr.Blue
December 25, 2011, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Where I live it's probably 90% white. And we have some KKK groups here too. Don't really wanna go shooting when the KKK has it's meet up out at the local range.

Are you joking? You should be more worried about the ghetto thugs who commit the highest % of violent crime in this country.

Lord Teapot
December 25, 2011, 06:34 AM
Guns are safe if you know how to use them. If you're not feeling confident with your ability to effectively, safely, and accurate wield a weapon (of any form) there are doubtlessly classes available for a modest fee, or a multitude of free internet tutorials, which will educate you to the point of 99.9% safe handling. There is no 100% guarantee, you're dealing with a lethal weapon, but taking the time to educate yourself with available sources to ensure adequate competency goes a long way in approaching that 100%.

Ramone
December 25, 2011, 11:23 AM
I'm a lot happier to see a new gunny having these concerns than blissfully assuming that you just get a gun and everythings dandy.

material, physical, and personal safety are real and valid concerns- and I find his concerns about racist elements a lot more reasonable than 'what caliber for zombies?'.

maybe some of you guys don't know what it's like to walk into your LGS, and all conversation stops. Everybody's eyeballing you. Some one asks 'you want something?'- and no matter what you say, you get a curt answer.

Cloud, stand tall- but not tall enough to be a target.

Get a decent RSC- even a Gun vault Nano is a good start if it's just a pistol. for a long gun, a decent padlock and an eyebolt screwed into a joist inside a closet or behind a couch will at least slow 'em down.

Keep the ammo stashed separately. No sense in giving them a shoot the homeowner when he gets home kit.

good luck, and thanks for thinking things through.

personal security starts with keeping. your. mouth. shut. Let discretion be your watch word.

Black Butte
December 25, 2011, 01:28 PM
By not keeping a round chambered when you carry and by not telling anyone about your gun, you will have addressed two of your biggest concerns.

Leanwolf
December 25, 2011, 02:31 PM
THE CLOUD - " Handguns are a means of self-defense and there are several stories that handguns do save lives and prevent crime."

Actually, there are millions of stories where handguns used by honest citizens have saved their lives and health, over the years. The left wing media rarely tell us about them because they have an agenda of which eventual gun ownership for us worker peasants and serfs would be banned.

That said, if you're worried about handgun safety, I suggest you buy a good revolver and practice both dry fire and live fire with it, until you are very familiar and comfortable with it. If you ever need it in a down-'n-dirty situation, it will get you out of it if you do your part.

Buy a couple of speed loaders -- I like HKS, but there are other good ones out there -- and practice reloading the revolver's cylinder.

I'm very well aware of the wisdom-of-the-day that only a 19 round semi-automatic can save your life if a bad guy or two decide to attack you. I find that ideology to be fallacious in virtually any civilian situation a person might find himself in. Accuracy is important: "spray & pray," isn't.

Practice builds confidence and familiarity. Have fun and don't worry quite so much. Good luck.

L.W.

brickeyee
December 25, 2011, 04:23 PM
But I feel like guns also attract the wrong element- it can place you at increased risk of robbery or violence.
How?

Are you planing on open carrying?

If you get a concealed carry permit how is anyone going to know?

theCloud
December 26, 2011, 01:38 AM
Well im glad to hear nobody has had any problems at the gun store or shooting range in terms of roberies or violence. *And it doesnt seem like people here being targeted for their guns. In this economy people's houses are being robbed more frequently.*

As for the race issue, this is not a figment of my imagination. There has been activity in the area. *Nothing violent yet and nothing on a constant basis. *It's rare but there presence is known There are things like Kkk flyers being left on cars, property damage with a swastika spray painted, etc.

So far my beginners training course and my experience at the lgs have been fine. So that's another good sign. I'm just trying to be real careful, thats all.

Thanks again for all yoir advice

3KillerBs
December 26, 2011, 11:19 AM
www.corneredcat.com is a website aimed at women but the articles address many of the concerns you have and I consider it an invaluable resource for anyone, male or female, who is new to the world of self-defense.

I have great difficulty imagining the KKK as a legitimate force in the modern world, but surely you would be in less danger when well-prepared to defend yourself from any kooks whose pamphleteering or vandalism turns into actual violence than if you were unarmed in the same situation.

Bovice
December 26, 2011, 11:27 AM
I'm concerned about you and your weapon purchase as well. If you still have doubts about how you'll handle a gun in a tense situation, you don't need to be carrying. You're legally allowed to and you can do what you want within your rights, but if you're asking my opinion, I'm telling you that you're not ready or maybe not even cut out for carrying a gun. I'm not going to argue the politics of it with you.

Mr.Blue
December 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
As for the race issue, this is not a figment of my imagination. There has been activity in the area. *Nothing violent yet and nothing on a constant basis. *It's rare but there presence is known There are things like Kkk flyers being left on cars, property damage with a swastika spray painted, etc.

Please. You should worry more about the Bloods/Crypts/MS-13. They commit actual violent crimes, not leave dumb literature on cars.

Imagine if a white person said they were worried about living in a 90% black area because of all the violent crime. They'd be labeled a racist.

The truth is that you are much safer in a white neighborhood than a minority one. The numbers don't lie.

Stick to gun talk and leave your latent racist feelings at the door.

theCloud
December 26, 2011, 05:16 PM
Please. You should worry more about the Bloods/Crypts/MS-13. They commit actual violent crimes, not leave dumb literature on cars.

Imagine if a white person said they were worried about living in a 90% black area because of all the violent crime. They'd be labeled a racist.

The truth is that you are much safer in a white neighborhood than a minority one. The numbers don't lie.

Stick to gun talk and leave your latent racist feelings at the door..

If I lived in a 90% black, hispanic, or any kind of neighborhood with a history of violence, my post would be the same. Except replace KKK with street thugs. It's not race, but the risk of violence. If the KKK had no history of violence, i can take racist names and rude behavior. If your numbers showed that a black neighborhood was as safe as a white neighborhood, i can take verbal abuse and disrespectful behavior. It's just that I dont do too well with bullets flying at me. That's how I see things and it seems like we have different opinions which is fine, I respect your post. I see where you think i am a racist and get upset at my posts. Point taken. I'll stick with the gun talk. This is a gun forum.

I'm concerned about you and your wepon purchase as well. If you still have doubts about how you'll handle a gun in a tense situation, you don't need to be carrying. You're legally allowed to and you can do what you want within your rights, but if you're asking my opinion, I'm telling you that you're not ready or maybe not even cut out for carrying a gun. I'm not going to argue the politics of it with you.

And I won't argue with you either. You have a unique point of view compared to everybody else who say to just get the gun and train. It's another thought and there is some validity to it. It's good to hear different opinions with people who are more experienced than me in this area. Ultimately this is my decision, but it is helpful for me to get other people's opinions.

goon
December 26, 2011, 05:26 PM
If you're worried about racist violence at the range, find another place to shoot. I have a hard time imagining it happening, but I also have no idea what it's like to not be white. Still, not owning a gun doesn't make you any safer - it just makes you that much easier to victimize.

OARNGESI
December 26, 2011, 05:31 PM
just go on with your purchase your worries will fade in time

Ignition Override
December 26, 2011, 05:40 PM
Right, maybe a waste of time.

KodiakBeer
December 26, 2011, 05:42 PM
1. Don't try to predict who you will be defending yourself from. You can't know if it will be a methhead coming through your front door, or a psycho on the street who has just shot his wife. It doesn't matter.

2. Resist the temptation to associate the gun with increased risk of violence. There is no correlation. Having a gun simply gives you an option should violence present itself.

My advice is to buy a gun, preferably a .22 and strictly as a trainer. You're too focused on the object (the gun) rather than on it's purpose (defense). Buy a .22, shoot it a lot and become familiar and comfortable. When you reach the point that the gun is simply a useful tool, then shop for a defense gun.

ErikO
December 26, 2011, 05:49 PM
I am going to buck the trend here. My suggestion is to get a decent 9mm and train with that or else find a range with a decent rental wall and get a membership that allows you access to that wall as cheaply as possible.

If you have never been shot, you've survived this long without a gun successfully. I totally get the feelings of being a minority in your neighborhood, I am in mine. While that may be your impetus for getting a gun in the first place, do you enjoy shooting? Folks that I know who carry love shooting so they see the gun as another self-defense tool as opposed to a symbol of violence.

brickeyee
December 26, 2011, 06:11 PM
I don't trust myself to draw my gun quick enough at gunpoint to prevent a robbery.

You have been watching TV.

Unless you are Jerry Miculek (one of the fastest shooters in the world) you are not going to be drawing down on someone pointing a gun at you.

Your situational awareness sucked if you let things get this far.

It is VERY hard to draw a gun faster than someone can move there trigger finger.

Vaarok
December 26, 2011, 08:27 PM
Here's the simpler stepping stone. Get a good knife, if you don't already, and put it in your pocket. I've lived places I wasn't allowed to carry for most of my life, and even now that I've moved to a free'r place, I haven't gone through CCW class to get a carry permit.

But my knife is always at hand.

Tools enable a person to do more than they could with their bare hands. The type of tool, in my mind, is less of a concern than the familiarization with the idea of having a tool eminently capable of causing harm readily at hand. It doesn't have quite the "shoot yourself in the foot/OH MY GOD HE'S GOT A GUN" significance, but it's every bit as grave a weight in your pocket.

Get comfortable with that, practice your aware mindset, and then perhaps you can segue into carrying a ranged weapon more comfortably.

I recommend reading at least this, if not the entire Dark Arts For Good Guys series:

http://straightforwardinacrookedworld.blogspot.com/2011/12/dark-arts-for-good-guys-right-to-knife.html

You may also find Kenn Blanchard's website, BlackManWithAGun useful:

http://kennblanchard.com/

ShawnC
December 26, 2011, 08:45 PM
I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, as I abhor everything the KKK stands for, but really, when was the last time a KKK member was involved in a race based shooting? Not saying it has never happened, or never will, but I think you are more likely to be accosted by gang banger thugs on the street than some random white guy at the shooting range where, incidentally, everyone else is armed.
I know us white guys are scary, but most of us are really harmless.

justice06rr
December 26, 2011, 09:49 PM
It seems you may be to paranoid or just thinking too much about this.

The same situation of being robbed or followed from the store can happen if you came from a jewelry store, name-brand shop, bank, etc. So your odds are the same, gun or not. It is actually better to have the gun than not have it.

One of the reasons I bought and carry a firearm is for personal safety in such situations like going to the ATM and withdrawing a large amount of money, or walking/riding alone in a park or bad area. But in general you should carry a firearm anyway because bad guys are everywhere.

Magoo
December 26, 2011, 10:09 PM
And then read the rest. And then respond if you've got something to add.

I've gotta say I am enjoying this thread so far. Lots of good posts. If the OP hangs in there and the membership behaves itself (sticks to forum guidelines) well this could be a really good one.

To the OP: I won't begin to guess how you feel about this suggestion in either security or basic anonymity. Though if your profile listed anything about your location, and of course the more specific the better, you would amost certainly get PM offers to take you shooting. If I found out you were my "neighbor", I'd certainly offer to take you. Lot's of friendly folks in here.

Strange Bob
December 26, 2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks Magoo ... good points made.

Some really good advice in this thread ... excellent thoughtful advice. I agree that the OP's fears are mostly in his mind only. Having said that I have fears in my mind too. In fact I probably have some areas of paranoia in the recesses of my mind. It just makes me more aware of my surroundings I'd think plus makes me think about preparedness.

To the OP ... if paranoid about being followed you can always do online purchases. I don't think though it is a reasonable fear.

Also, living in SE Texas I know of 2 Klan groups. They most certainly DON"T hang at any of the local ranges. I would think they go out to some remote wooded areas to shoot. They are also not involved in any nefarious activities or have been in 40 years that I can remember. Certainly no violence. I am not a member of the KKK but am acquainted with a couple of guys that make it known they are affiliated with such (could be just talk to make them feel tuff). In my opinion the KKK is a real non-factor in the US today.

Get you a gun and practice with it ... the best skill you can ever acquire with it is accuracy. Enjoy gun ownership!

Check one of these out as a place for your gun to sleep if you decide to leave it at home while you are away!

http://www.hideagun.net/

Dr.Mall Ninja
December 26, 2011, 11:19 PM
To the OP ... if paranoid about being followed you can always do online purchases. I don't think though it is a reasonable fear The Op would still have to go to gun store.......

Seriously though a very small percent of thugs are going to want to rob you, after you walk out of a gun store....

Yoda
December 26, 2011, 11:48 PM
A thought that occurred to me that is both on topic and relative to the K K K....

You may be able to do a great service for your community (and I mean your extended, multi-racial community) if you take a risk and help break the stereotypes of the supposed racists and show them that you share their interest in guns and concern over basic 2nd Amendments freedoms. Some racists, but admittedly not all, may find it difficult to see you as a threat and as a like-minded ally at the same time.

Is this a risk for you. Certainly. But as I said, you could do a lot of good. And I must also point out that most folks at a gun range are really very friendly. It's very common to let perfect strangers try your gun. If racial tensions are really a concern in your area, you may be able to use guns to help break through the barriers.

But as I said, it would require that you take the risk of taking the first step... But SOMEONE has to take that first step, and what better ground to stand on that a mutual love of freedom?

- - - Yoda

Rocketmedic
December 27, 2011, 02:21 AM
Cloud, you're overthinking this. Could someone break into your home and steal a firearm? Sure. But are you responsible for their criminal acts? No, they make the decision to steal themselves- and if you do a few things for your own security, you can keep yourself from becoming a victim.

I'd recommend a cheap pump shotgun and a cheap 9mm. If you don't feel like carrying, don't- it is a huge responsibility to carry a firearm, and you can (and should) think long and hard beforehand. Don't make your life about carry, but don't be too quick to carry and potentially draw when it's not a good idea, or freeze up. Train, train, train.

stickhauler
December 27, 2011, 02:53 AM
I'd agree with some points made in this discussion, others, well, let's say, not so much.

No carrying a firearm for self defense is not for everyone. It's a responsibility anyone should think long and hard about before taking that step. For a variety of reasons. The first being, are you sure you have it within you to pull a firearm and use it in a deadly force shooting situation. If not, if you would happen to freeze in that moment of intense stress, a firearm being present is not going to help you in any manner, and may hurt you more.

There's also the factor of deciding if and when to bring a firearm to bear in a confrontation. Over-react, and you're escalating what could well be a situation that is merely a loud argument into a violent encounter. Hesitate, and you're injured or killed without even attempting to defend yourself.

I would disagree with the idea of arming yourself with a knife unless you have a long history of training for fighting with a knife. A unskilled person with a knife will most often see it taken from them, and used on them. I've ventured into training with knives to an extent, and found quickly that I lack the skills to depend on that as an option to defend myself. That's why I opted to go the firearm route. But I also understand how many people can't see themselves drawing a firearm to defend themselves, or can't bring themselves to actually pull the trigger on another living creature, no matter how frightened they are. I've seen it happen too many times hunting, where people talk a big line about wanting to "drop" whatever they hunting for, but when presented with a situation where they have the perfect shot, can't bring themselves to pull the trigger.

I live in a city with better than a 50% African-American population, and a Hispanic population approaching about 15%. That doesn't leave too many of us White folks living here. And the range I belong to has around the same ethnic ratios as members. But the management has always made it very clear that disrespecting others there, whether they be members of the range, or visitors, will not be tolerated. I go to gun shops in every part of town, quite often I'm the only White there, and though I'm not embraced as a regular, I have yet to be treated badly. They may well discuss me after I leave, using words I wouldn't appreciate. But they realize that commerce, and that green colored paper I drop there spends just the same as that of any of their regular customers.

goon
December 27, 2011, 02:55 AM
Agreed on the looking for someone to go shooting with in your area (maybe local THR member if possible). I introduce people to shooting as often as the chance presents itself and have a couple friends who want to learn in the next couple months when schedules permit. Also it's not uncommon to meet someone by chance at a range who's out with his 1911 when you show up with your Glock 26. He wants to try a G26 and you've never shot a 1911 and by the time you leave he's also let you shoot a few rounds from his handgun. But you have to show up at the range for this to happen.

Ignition Override
December 27, 2011, 03:49 AM
Very few types seem to be made for leftys, at least regarding the safeties etc.

KodiakBeer
December 27, 2011, 05:21 AM
Jump headlong into shooting and practice. As a picture I saw said, which featured a black man holding a Mosin-Nagant "Civil Rights Act of 1965 didn't stop Klan Terror; men like him did."

Oleg Volk has a lot to say about that/

http://www.a-human-right.com/stopKKK_s.jpg

http://a-human-right.com/introduction.html

Art Eatman
December 27, 2011, 08:10 AM
Shooters I've known in Texas judge other gun-toters on their behavior, not ethnicity of whatever sort. Pretty much the same in my wife's home area in south Georgia.

If there's no "show and tell" or talky-talk about one's guns, who's to know?

KKK? The guys with the form-fitting headgear? Maybe brave at night in groups, but cowards as individuals in daylight. They're so low in life's pecking order that if they couldn't find somebody to look down on, they'd commit suicide.

Suggestion: Via the Internet, find out about any local IPSC or IDPA club, and then find where and when they have competitions. Go there and just watch. Express general interest, and then probably be surprised at the helpful information that will be offered.

leeroy71
December 27, 2011, 02:40 PM
Cloud, Its my OPINION that KKK meetings are going to be held at a private location, not likely a range open to the public. As much as they are racist cowards, they are snobs about who they get together with.

And, paranoia and guns aren't a good combo. You don't wear a tin foil hat do you? As it has already been posted crooks are cowards. They will not follow you home from a gun store. That could be suicide.

Concealed carry is just that. You should be the only one that knows your armed. Except maybe your wife/girlfriend if you have on.

Remember, it is better to be armed and not need it than to be unarmed and wish you were.;)

theCloud
December 28, 2011, 12:17 AM
No tin foil hat- just a baseball cap. Made of cotton. :D

I was just asking about reducing risk and not trying to stick out like a sore thumb to attract unwanted attention. To clarify, being picked for my race and being picked out because I have some guns and the risk of violence from either situation are the same risk situation to me. I'd like to avoid bodily harm. The race thing got a bit blown up; throw that out and there is still the original concern/question about reducing risk as a target because of your firearms- criminals would love to get ahold of your guns, probably more than a TV or jewelry. And there is some good advice here in this thread and the forums. There was a safe thread that was a good read for me. The situational awareness stuff is always a good read for me.

jon_in_wv
December 28, 2011, 12:39 AM
I hate to tell you guys but there are plenty of places the OP should have some real concerns about. Recently the DNR range I frequented to years came under new management. The next two trips to the range a member told everyone on the range how he was so glad he lived in a "light" area where there are no NON-white races, and the next time one of the senior board members saw me shooting my AK47 and said, "that with keep the ******s away." My wife and children are mixed race. I would certainly think twice before I take them to that range. I've lived in WV for over 8 years and honestly I've seen very few instances of things like that but in this case there is a very bad element that runs that range. If I was in a minority and was going to visit someplace new and remote with a lot of weapons I don't think it would be too strange to just ask about it first.

LibShooter
December 28, 2011, 12:42 AM
Welcome cloud.

As for the race issue, this is not a figment of my imagination.

That seems like an argument FOR owning a gun, not against it.

Here's my advice.

Go to a gun show. Stroll around and pick up and hold a bunch of different pistols. You'll find one that fits your hand.

Then shop around and drive around until you find a local gun shop in which you feel comfortable. If you can't find one go back to the next gun show and buy a gun there. There will be so many folks leaving there with guns you're not likely to be followed. Or go to WalMart. They don't care about your race, there. You can't get handguns at WalMart, but they have ammo... and probably someone working there who knows where the good range and gun shop are.

Get a gun you like and shoot it a lot.

Strange Bob
December 28, 2011, 12:49 AM
Well, you remind me of folks I know that worry about percieved things. I want you to go to gunstores and tell them what features you want and that you want to try his recommendations before buying them. You could do similarly with a renter gun at the range or borrowing someone else''s gun . Just git one and start shooting. Carry yourself well, projecting confidence to warn off predators. And always have your eyes searching for things out of place that could affect you or yours. Enjoy your new armed life, You now have a tool that makes you much more efficient!

Magoo
December 28, 2011, 08:41 PM
Okay, if we completely ignore the race issue you've pretty much got a concensus answer from all relevant responses. Your fears of being singled out by being a responsible gun owner are largely unfounded. Don't go telling everyone you meet what guns you have. Don't "advertise" the fact you're a gun owner. Ammo purchases are physically small and "conceal" nicely in the bag they give you. At WalMart (:barf:) you even check out in the back.

At the range I think you'll find most everyone friendly and helpful. As has been said, criminals like easy targets and and armed one is not. You'd not likely be targeted by any criminals from a range visit. This is assuming you don't unload tens of thousands of dollars worth of firearms out of your vehicle. Anyone who displays to the public a show of great wealth is going to raise some eyebrows. A couple of run of the mill guns, hardly at all.

I'll say again that if you'd disclose even a hint of where you live (SE,NE,SW,NW) you'd likely get some offers to have a shooting buddy. Shooting with other folks is most always more fun.

robert garner
December 29, 2011, 07:48 AM
theCloud said"I was just asking about reducing risk and not trying to stick out like a sore thumb to attract unwanted attention." So say we all,Welcome ,come on in the waters fine.
robert

J-Bar
December 29, 2011, 11:56 AM
If you are not sure you want a gun, then don't buy a gun.

Same applies to cars, bicycles, etc.

Geez...

gym
December 29, 2011, 02:42 PM
Until you feel comfortable about the whole process, don't carry. Just get used to wearing the gun around the house, and sooner or later you will either go forward or just keep it at home, "better than a sharp stick". It isn't for everyone, even some who thought it was.
It's not constructive to think of imaginary situations that you may encounter. Having a gun dosen't prevent them, it just gives you a better chance of living through them.
I feel undressed without mine, for 37 yrs now, it never leaves my side. So you either get it, or not, time will tell.
Also a pocket pistol is a great way to handle potential serious problems, due to the fact that you can have your hand on your gun, the entire time you feel you may be threatned, and no one will know. This way you just fire from a concealed pocket if something happens fast. It takes about a second for the bad guy to register that you just shot him, "if he's still alive", as the last thing a perp does is pull a gun on someone who already has one in his hand. If he knew that he would move on.A little 380 makes a good second carry for such times. You also now have time to get to your main carry should the situation require it.

Blackbeard
December 29, 2011, 03:32 PM
It sounds like you have three primary concerns:

1. Safety
2. Robbery
3. Harrassment/Racism

You can take steps to mitigate each of these concerns. I highly recommend taking the NRA handgun safety course. If you follow the rules, no one will ever get shot with your gun. Experience breeds confidence. I too was nervous the first time I brought a gun into my house. After a while you realize they don't just jump off the table and shoot people on their own. Practice safety until it becomes a habit.

For the robbery question, the two big things you can do are to get a safe (even a small one) and don't publicize the fact that you own/carry. Just use common sense and take basic security precautions and you'll be fine.

As for the racism & harrassment, I'm sure I can't relate to your experiences. You'd know better than I if a bunch of people are up to no good. If there are a bunch of jerks at the range the best thing to do is leave and come back when they're not there.

theCloud
December 30, 2011, 01:33 PM
^I agree. After thinking about it and doing lots of research on where the friendly and helpful ranges/shops are, I strolled in and just talked to a few places. No problems. I'm not getting any younger and I do want to exercise my 2a right. I did enjoy my first shooting experience and like I said earlier, it was just considering the potential risks that was holding me back.

Shot my sp2022 yesterday. Good times!

So thanks to everybody that posted here and I found the varying opinions helpful. A good discussion that helped me out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Concerns about getting my first gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!