"New" .243 range report

PDA

Legionnaire
December 23, 2011, 03:05 PM
I recently jumped on a well-used Remington 700 BDL Custom Deluxe in .243 Win purchased via Gunbroker. This one, actually ...

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=155287

It's an older specimen, and I'll probably contact Remington to find out when it was manufactured. Anyway, it cleaned up nicely. I replaced the weaver-style bases with Leupold standard bases and rings and mounted an older Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 on it and headed to the range. Sole purpose was to get it "close." I plan to work up some varmint loads for it over the winter months. So I grabbed a box of 100 grain Remington Core-Lokts out of the ammo cabinet.

I bore sighted the old fashioned way ... remove bolt, view target down the bore and move scope into alignment ... and was "on paper" with the first shot. I proceeded to adjust dead on at 100 and then shot several three-shot groups that were right at 1 MOA. I was happy to achieve these results with inexpensive ammo under less than ideal weather conditions.

I'm very pleased with the gun thus far. It is well used, but it doesn't appear that the barrel is shot out. Looking forward to seeing if I can tighten up the groups a bit, but even if I can't, it should prove to be an excellent hunting rifle.

And Merry Christmas to all!

If you enjoyed reading about ""New" .243 range report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ms6852
December 23, 2011, 03:32 PM
That is a beautiful rifle, and a great caliber as well. Congratulations.

BrocLuno
December 23, 2011, 11:44 PM
Well done. A worthy addition to the safe :)

T.R.
December 24, 2011, 08:59 AM
That's a handsome rifle. I really like the unique checkering patterns.

TR

rodensouth
December 24, 2011, 10:26 AM
Nice rifle! It sure is great when they shoot like you hoped. Merry Christmas!

If you enjoyed reading about ""New" .243 range report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!