Remington New Army vs. Colt 1860 Army

PDA

HDCamel
December 23, 2011, 05:45 PM
Which do you prefer?

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington New Army vs. Colt 1860 Army" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Acorn Mush
December 23, 2011, 05:55 PM
Dang! I can't believe I was the first one to vote in this poll!

Lunie
December 23, 2011, 05:57 PM
Preference? 1860, hands down.

Smokin'Joe
December 23, 2011, 06:01 PM
My first exposure to black powder was in the early 1970s with Remington New Army revolvers, both original and reproduction. The experience was so bad that I swore off of black power for forty years. How could anyone enjoy a gun when the cylinder binds up after 12 to 18 rounds? Thanks to a Cabela’s sale I was tempted to purchase a Colt 1860 repo and I am enjoying black powder at last. I simply do not understand shooter’s attraction to Remingtons. Colt Rules!

HDCamel
December 23, 2011, 06:07 PM
Apparently, back in the Civil War, the Remington was widely preferred but rather expensive. Current repros of both are about the same price, so I was wondering if attitudes have changed.

junkman_01
December 23, 2011, 06:13 PM
At the beginning of the Civil War, a Colt 1860 was selling for TWICE as much as a Remington. It wasn't until Eli Remington went to the Army and said he could produce his revolver, or even the Colt design for half of what Colt was selling his revolvers for that Samuel Colt lowered his price. Where you got the idea that a Remington was more expensive, isn't in line with the truth! Folks usually buy what is cheapest.

BCRider
December 23, 2011, 06:36 PM
No, no, no. Nope, that's just wrong. REALLY wrong.

It shouldn't be "vs" in the title. It needs to be "which one first?".

Either that or your poll needs a "yes please, one of each" option.

Having both I'd have to say "yes please, one of each". Especially after seeing how well my old Replica Arms 1860 shot for me in my recent thread on my last day out BP shooting.

HDCamel
December 23, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'm talking about expense to the man on the ground. The soldiers preferred the Remington, however, the Army issued you a Colt. If you wanted a Remington you had to buy it yourself at full market price instead of using the one Uncle Sam lent you.

Also, the Colt 1860 continued it's prominence because so many soldiers "liberated" their guns from the Army when they went home.
EVERYTHING is expensive when it's compared to something that's free.

Stophel
December 23, 2011, 06:54 PM
The Colt 1860 fits my hand MUCH better than the Remington (and better than the stubby grip of the 51 Navy/73 SAA). It points wonderfully, and is definitely lighter than the Remington. ;-)

I'm actually surprised at the early results (8 Colt to 1 Remington), as most comments I read are how everyone wants a Remington. I want another one myself, but I will HAVE to do something about the grip shape...

BCRider
December 23, 2011, 06:55 PM
Well THAT certainly wasn't clear from the title or first post wording....

With this new approach in mind I'd have to say "I don't know". I know that both guns shoot well but these days "we" don't load or shoot them in the way that folks back in the Civil War would have loaded and shot them. Or at least not many of us do. For example the question of over bullet and behind bullet lubing are big around here. But did the guys in the war even bother with it? And if not what was the effect on the reliability of each gun?

junkman_01
December 23, 2011, 06:56 PM
The .44 caliber Remington was manufactured for the Union Ordnance Department at a cost of just $15.00 per gun.
The equivalent Colt Army Model 1860 was retailing for $25.00 and Samuel Colt soon dropped the price to $14.50 in attempt to win back customers.
I don't know what a Remington could be had for in a hardware store at the time though.

junkman_01
December 23, 2011, 06:59 PM
I think the results are conclusive.

Colt over Remington 8 to 1 ! :neener:

Fingers McGee
December 23, 2011, 07:45 PM
I'm talking about expense to the man on the ground. The soldiers preferred the Remington, however, the Army issued you a Colt. If you wanted a Remington you had to buy it yourself at full market price instead of using the one Uncle Sam lent you.

Also, the Colt 1860 continued it's prominence because so many soldiers "liberated" their guns from the Army when they went home.

Don't know where you get your information; but, that's just wrong.

There were approximately 35,000 Remington Navy revolvers and 145,000 Army revolvers delivered to the US Government from 1861 through Apr 1865. During the same period, there were approximately 95,000 Colt Navy and 150,000 Colt Army revolvers made. Colt and Remington Army models were just about even as far as production and sale to the Government went, so a soldier had about a 50/50 chance of being issued either one.

And, I prefer the Colt. Fits my hands better, is more accurate, and is much easier to clean IMNSHO.

72coupe
December 23, 2011, 08:11 PM
I have a Remington but prefer the 1860 feel.

jtscuba02
December 23, 2011, 08:11 PM
I'll take the Remington, please.

scrat
December 23, 2011, 08:32 PM
Apparently, back in the Civil War, the Remington was widely preferred but rather expensive. Current repros of both are about the same price, so I was wondering if attitudes have changed.

OPPOSITE> Colt was charging the government $25 per gun during the civil war. Remington came along and offered their gun for 14 a gun and said they would even make colt style guns for the same price. During the end of the civil war Colts were selling at around 12.

junkman_01
December 23, 2011, 09:34 PM
scrat,

Don't you READ the posts before you reply? I said the very same thing in posts #6 and 11. :banghead:

Jaymo
December 23, 2011, 10:36 PM
I've never been enamored of the aesthetics of the 1860 Colt. I like all the other C&B Colts a lot.
The older I get, the more I like the RNMA. I'll take the Remington.
I may just have to get an 1860 Colt, just to see why this ugly revolver is so popular.

I think the real problem with this poll is the fact that it doesn't include the 1851 Navy.

junkman_01
December 23, 2011, 11:02 PM
A Colt 1860 ugly? When was the last time you had your eyes checked? :confused:

Fingers McGee
December 23, 2011, 11:47 PM
I think the real problem with this poll is the fact that it doesn't include the 1851 Navy.

Well, truth be known, I favor the 1861 Navy myself.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/fingersmcgee/61Navies-Hollygrips2.jpg

Jaymo
December 24, 2011, 12:23 AM
Sorry, junk. I prefer the 51 Navy and the Remington to the 60 Army.
Unless we're talking snubs, I like the 60 snub better than the 51 snub.
Blasphemy, though it may be, I like the looks of the .44 cal 51 Navy better than the 60 or .36 51.
Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. :)

Lunie
December 24, 2011, 12:31 AM
Well, truth be known, I favor the 1861 Navy myself.

The '61 Navy is just barely the better looker over the '60 Army. The non-rebated cylinder, smaller grips and larger forcing cone give it the edge.

I haven't been convinced I like ".36" caliber over ".44", but who knows, maybe someday.

Apologies, but the NMA is not easy on my eyes. It's said that Eugene Stoner took his inspiration from the aerospace industry. By my estimation, the designers at Remington had a strong background in mud fences. Of course, looks aren't everything. :evil:

But this thread is about preference. Which of the two do you prefer over the other? On another board, we'd be talking about old Chevys or Fords, or maybe about Irish or Scotch.

Busyhands94
December 24, 2011, 12:33 AM
Funny this thread should pop up. I went to the gun shop today and fondled a Colt 1851, in 36 caliber. I fondled my Remmy when I got home just like I always do. The Remmy feels like "That special one" to me. My very first .44, The one that helped me recover from getting my heart broken, the one that I train with and get more trigger time with than any other gun I own. The one I shot pumpkins with after Halloween. The Remington gets my vote.

jwsracin
December 24, 2011, 01:22 AM
i vote remmy, love the looks and the feel. just preferance but i really dont like the open top guns.

scrat
December 24, 2011, 01:49 AM
my pietta 1851 hand grip feels better than my 1860 shoots better than all of my guns. however my 1858 is badazzzz nuff said.

black_powder_Rob
December 24, 2011, 02:02 AM
I like them both. but if you went on looks it would be the 1860.

Montenegrin
December 24, 2011, 06:00 AM
I voted on Colt 1860,because I thought it was Colt 1851.There is no gun that will point better,nor there will be.
Do one thing.Get the gun in your hand and point barrel in air.Watch your target and remember it's position.Then close your eyes and while holding them closed,aim at your target.Only two guns will allow you to aim directly at target while doing this : Colt 1851 Navy (maybe 1860 also but I am not sure) and Luger.
Colt is really extension of your hand.

marwin95
December 24, 2011, 07:57 AM
I think that a vote for each is most appropriate. Were I needing to carry--it would be one of each, as they each have their pecularities and there positives. Yup, i would have to hedge my bets and vote one for each.

Hellgate
December 24, 2011, 11:37 AM
There are about 4 different makes of the Remington NMA. The Santa Barbara and Euroarms are the lightest with the smallest frames & grips. The Pietta is heaviest with the fattest grips. Ubertis in the middle somewhere. I can't remember how the ASM I handled felt. I haven't found the 1860 Armies to be nearly as varied. Everybody's hands are different just like shoe sizes. One size doesn't fit all. It is no wonder opinions vary. The 1860 Colt is elegant compared to the NMA but both "feel" way different. The NMA is stronger but the Colt is "strong enough". I haven't shot either one loose yet using heavy loads with conicals.

andrewstorm
December 24, 2011, 12:29 PM
reasons:1.cylinder change=faster reloads 2.a more sturdy club after all charges are fired for a civil war officers last ditch hand to hand combat.3.arbors and wedges are a primitive revolver design,less reliability than cylinder pins.4 cylinder notches for the safe carry of 6 loaded charges.5 I like the hex barrel and over all styling better than open top design,really! Although my first bp revolver was a kitgun of 36 cal pocket police I timed and antiqued it myself,and everyone called me a liar,and then said if I wasnt a liar, I should be a gunsmith,I regret selling that little 5 shooter.

MCgunner
December 24, 2011, 04:52 PM
I voted Remmy, best shooter and I prefer the solid top. I own and have owned Colts, but '51s. I cannot recommend NOT owning one. They are way cool fun! :D They also shoot fine once you figure out how to lower the POI.

It shouldn't be "vs" in the title. It needs to be "which one first?".

I think this is the best advice of this thread. Take THIS one to the bank and cash it. :D

Jaymo
December 24, 2011, 04:58 PM
Just buy 'em all.
Even the ugly 1860 :) (that was for you, junkman. I knew you'd like it)

MCgunner
December 24, 2011, 05:15 PM
Well, if there was an ROA choice, I'd change my vote.:neener:

Jaymo
December 24, 2011, 05:17 PM
Me too. ROA is one hell for stout revolver.

damoc
December 24, 2011, 08:15 PM
My first exposure to black powder was in the early 1970s with Remington New Army revolvers, both original and reproduction. The experience was so bad that I swore off of black power for forty years. How could anyone enjoy a gun when the cylinder binds up after 12 to 18 rounds? Thanks to a Cabela’s sale I was tempted to purchase a Colt 1860 repo and I am enjoying black powder at last. I simply do not understand shooter’s attraction to Remingtons. Colt Rules!
because when you learn the trick to loading and lube you can get into the 100s of shots
without binding.

when i first got my 1858 i was a little disapointed as well but now that ive worked out
how i want to load it id never choose a colt over a remington.

andrewstorm
December 24, 2011, 08:35 PM
blk powder is high maintenance but that's the skill that comes into the equation,and the reward is proficiency,with primitive weapons...:D

MCgunner
December 24, 2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah, and besides, Remmies get fewer cap jams. They all have their quirks. I wouldn't have it any other way. These aren't Ruger Blackhawks here and it ain't smokeless. But, that's why we love 'em, right? :D

ontarget
December 24, 2011, 10:06 PM
Never even held a Remmie. But I love all my colts. I have large hands so the '60 suits me just fine.

Tinpan58
December 24, 2011, 11:56 PM
Remmie for sure! 8 extra cylinders caped and ready to go! counting the one in the gun that is 54 rounds, that is overwhelming firepower against the 1860 even if you had extra cylinders, no chance even coming close to keeping up, as for the cylinder pin I just wipe it down every 3 cylinders with a lightly oiled rag, and as for being a natural pointer, thats just practice.

robert garner
December 25, 2011, 08:35 AM
Didn't vote can't answer, haven't tried a Remington... yet.
Tinpan has surely set up an impressive rig.
robert

Driftwood Johnson
December 25, 2011, 01:21 PM
Howdy

It depends, so I ain't voting.

Neither design has a bushing on the front of the cylinder as later revolvers did to keep BP fouling off the cylinder pin. But my experience is that the much wider arbor on the Colt design, along with clearance cuts on the arbor, makes the Colt keep rolling much better than the Remington for multiple cylinders full of Black Powder. The narrow cylinder pin on the Remmy binds up much quicker.

I can shoot an entire Cowboy match with my Pietta 1860 Armys with no problems, but I have to remove the cylinders of my 1858 Remmies and wipe down the cylinders and cylinder pins after every cylinder full or they will bind up.

This photo illustrates the difference in the arbor/cylinder pin on the Colt and Remington. Even with the clearance cuts I cut in the Remington cylinder pin for extra lube it does not hold enough Bore Butter or SPG to keep it rolling as long as the Colt will. You can also see how much bigger the arbor hole is in the Colt cylinder than the cylinder pin hole in the Remington cylinder.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Driftwood_Johnson/Remingtons/arborandpin.jpg

But when shooting Black Powder cartridges with a cartridge conversion cylinder, the Remington is much easier to shoot all day long. The cylinder pops right out for emptying and reloading. I simply wipe off the face of the cylinder with a damp cloth after every cylinder full. Much easier than knocking out the wedge of a Colt style pistol every time you want to reload cartridges in a conversion cylinder.

MCgunner
December 25, 2011, 02:01 PM
Nice rig, Tinpan. :D I have only one case for my spare cylinders, two cylinder case, and haven't ordered the cylinders, yet, but that's on the agenda. Figure two is plenty, though, for now.

damoc
December 25, 2011, 02:39 PM
for driftwood johnson and others who complain about the remington binding

try a small dollop of lard to the cyl pin hole about a pea sized amount with every cyl change.bore butter will probably work but i have not used it for a very long time.

with each cyl change the small amount of lard will wash of the crud from the cyl pin and you can just keep going and going

here is a vid i posted before with 4 consecutive cyl changes last one being a 45 colt conversion cyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kqEgijuCu4

i used lard/beeswax over the balls but just lard in the cyl pin hole unless the temp is very warm

Hellgate
December 25, 2011, 03:07 PM
I never take my cylinders out during a match. Just place a single drop of oil at the front of the cylinder where it rubs the frame, hold the gun up and twirl the cylinder and you are good to go. Takes about 5 seconds after each reloading and the gun will run all day. No big deal. Keep a small plastic squeeze oil bottle in your shooting kit with all the balls, cappers, wads, push sticks, etc.

Driftwood Johnson
December 25, 2011, 03:38 PM
Howdy

I'm sure of dollop of something gooey in the cylinder pin hole would help, but the simple fact is my 1860 Colts keep right on rolling without any such extra help. The wider arbor is simply a more friendly design for preventing Black Powder fouling from building up. Shot for shot, the same amount of fouling builds up on the arbor as on the pin of the Remington, but since the diameter is larger, it does not build up so deep. Plus, the helical groove cut around the Colt arbor is there to give the fouling some place to collect without binding the cylinder.

As for removing the my Remmie cylinders, I am talking about shooting them with R&D conversion cylinders. The cylinders MUST be removed every time to empty out the spent cases and put new ones in. No other way to reload. Since I have to pull out the cylinders anyway, wiping them off with a damp rag is no problem.

45-70 Ranger
December 25, 2011, 04:09 PM
Make mine a Colt thank you very much. :)
The last Remington I had would bind up with one cylinder load and I was forced to BEAT the basepin out of it EVERYTIME I went to clean it. And it made no difference what I used for lube. And I polished that basepin until it was smooth as silk. Made no difference, it would bind up fast and often. Of course I used nylon tools to do the action of pulling the basepin not to mar the finish, but it was such a P.I.T.A. that I got rid of that stinking Remington and am happy with all my Colts. Their Basepins, or as you folks use the alternant term, Arbors, are, as Driftwood Johnson spoke of, as being more of a friendly design. Yup, just make mine a Colt please and thank you very much! :)

Now I realize that this will add fuel to the fire, so to speak, in this discussion, but I am basing my PERSONAL opinion on 45+ years of BP shooting.....This ain't no rookie saying stuff that was just passed along and took up the cause for the fun of it. I've spent my time in the barrel here with these weapons. Originals and repo's both. Thus if you disagree, that is you privilage as it is mine as well....we can agree to disagree if you like.;)

Wade

Driftwood Johnson
December 26, 2011, 12:59 AM
Howdy Again

I'm not exactly new to Black Powder either. I bought my first Cap & Ball revolver in 1968.

zb17ghost
December 26, 2011, 03:47 AM
+1 for Colt 1860..
my personal preference is Colt 1861 (.36 of course), mine is Pietta
NMA...somehow strange in my hand, although shooting well..but it is ugly

AlexanderA
December 26, 2011, 08:43 AM
The Remington's solid frame, ease of cylinder change, and safety notches rather than safety pins, made it clearly superior during the Civil War, and superior now. Judging from contemporaneous writings, the troopers preferred it. Colt had the advantage of having been first in the field, and having built up a following. Plus, Sam Colt was a genius at marketing.

Jaymo
December 26, 2011, 07:58 PM
I'm considering degreasing my Remington cylinder pin and spraying it with dry moly.
The last time I shot my RNA, I ran 4 cylinders through it with no problems.
I had wiped the pin down with bore butter prior to loading, and used bore butter over each ball and that's it.

J.T. Gerrity
December 27, 2011, 10:45 AM
These questions are always a pissin' match because they're subject to opinions, and everybody has their own. Both of these pistols are excellent, hard-hitting weapons that have their own pluses and minuses, and one doesn't necessarily shine over the other. On the Colt, you'll have more cap jams, and on the Remington, the cyl pin needs constant attention or it will jam up after as few as five rounds (from personal experience). Arbor vs top strap is merely a matter of perception as the Colt arbor system is every bit as strong as the top strap, it just isn't as visible and so seems a little like magic to some folks. I think, after 175 years of testing, that it's proven itself to be reliable.

Changing out cylinders is faster on the Rem, but by only about five or ten seconds. The hammer notches on the Rem are a better safety system than the pins on the Colt (but that has no bearing on how the pistol shoots), and the sighting system on the Rem is possibly better than the hammer nose "sight" on the Colt (but not by much).

I could go on, but why? I had a NMA and an 1860 Colt, and after shooting both, I gave the NMA to a friend for his birthday. I just liked the Colt better; I thought it "looked" a little less modern than the Rem with its top strap, and I liked the way it fit my hand. And that is the the point I'm trying to make: just get what you like. Neither gun is superior over the other, they both have their little quirks that you'll have to deal with, so just go by your gut and sense of history; try them both, if you can, and get the one that tickles your fancy. Besides, if you're like a lot of folks on this site, you'll end up owning both, anyway! :D

JMHO

test drive
December 27, 2011, 01:55 PM
I vote for the 60, imo they ballence better and look alot better. however if i had to go with brass frames i would go with the 58.

Lunie
December 27, 2011, 04:34 PM
If the first to 44 wins, the 1860 has won the race. 45 for the 1860, 33 for the NMA.

Not bad. But if the poll doesn't end up at 50% & 50%, or at least within +/- 10% of that, I will be surprised.

Stophel
December 27, 2011, 04:39 PM
I'm surprised too, given how much everyone talks about/wants a Remington. I guess us Colt types are just more reserved. ;)

AND, I just got a UPS notification that I have a package on the way... :D

Lunie
December 27, 2011, 04:58 PM
I'm surprised too, given how much everyone talks about/wants a Remington. I guess us Colt types are just more reserved. ;)

AND, I just got a UPS notification that I have a package on the way... :D
The phrase "noisy minority" comes to mind. :P

It's easy to be a fan of the Colts. They are fascinating, beautiful, accurate, powerful, and they fuel our charcoal addiction. I have a really hard time finding fault with them, in the context that they are cap and ball revolvers from the mid-19th century. Cap jams: happen. Misfires: can happen. That much is true of even the vaunted ROA.

It's harder to be a Remington fan. (Sorta like being a fan of the team that comes in last place every year? :neener: ) Sure, they are also accurate, powerful, and spew the same sulfurous smoke. But they have looks and clunky features that only a mother could love. That said, there isn't much to really complain about with these guns either.

There is some honor is loving the ugly duckling, but most of us would choose the pretty gal, all else being equal.

72coupe
December 27, 2011, 07:19 PM
Lunie you must be the guy that enjoys poking the grizzly bear with a short stick.

brushhippie
December 27, 2011, 07:31 PM
I do like my Remington, but I have never had a problem getting a Colt apart. I have had problems removing the cylinder pin from the Remmy.....time and time again.

Stophel
December 27, 2011, 07:40 PM
It seems that a lot of people like to think they're getting a "magnum" revolver when they buy a Remington. Why, it's stronger, don't you know, full frame and all, and that must mean you can load it hotter than the Colt.

The cylinder is only gonna hold just so much powder. I don't know the capacity difference between the two, but I doubt it's all that much.

I like the Remington too, now, even though it's too heavy and the grip shape is awful... :D

I have the desire to take a Remington and make something of it, I'll have to make a "grip adapter" of some kind, add about 3/8" to the length of the grip frame, and maybe forge out the hammer spur, it's pretty short and not nearly as easily manipulable as the Colt hammer...

junkman_01
December 27, 2011, 07:59 PM
You mean something like this....

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l583/junkman_011/Shooting%20Related/1858Rem_ArmyGrip_04.jpg

damoc
December 27, 2011, 09:45 PM
The phrase "noisy minority" comes to mind. :P

It's easy to be a fan of the Colts. They are fascinating, beautiful, accurate, powerful, and they fuel our charcoal addiction. I have a really hard time finding fault with them, in the context that they are cap and ball revolvers from the mid-19th century. Cap jams: happen. Misfires: can happen. That much is true of even the vaunted ROA.

It's harder to be a Remington fan. (Sorta like being a fan of the team that comes in last place every year? :neener: ) Sure, they are also accurate, powerful, and spew the same sulfurous smoke. But they have looks and clunky features that only a mother could love. That said, there isn't much to really complain about with these guns either.

There is some honor is loving the ugly duckling, but most of us would choose the pretty gal, all else being equal.
hehe this is realy what it comes down to the pretty trophy wife or the good cook

ill take the good cook any day

go Remington

everything the colt can do the remington can do better

stronger frame right from the get go,better suited for cyl change out and if loaded right it
does not jam on the cyl pin not ever,but the pretty colt still cap jams on a fairly regular basis.

Lunie
December 27, 2011, 10:19 PM

:rolleyes:

Whatever you need to tell yourself. :neener:

Pyro
December 27, 2011, 10:23 PM
I'll take the Colt because I'm much more familiar with them than Remington.

Smokepole14
December 28, 2011, 12:37 AM
I vote for both, the colt balances better but the remmy is just an eye catching revolver. This debate will go on and on and on and on and on and on some more. This is an opinion type question and everyones opinion is never wrong. Both of these two revolvers are a piece of american history and they have done their job well. We all should just buy each model and shoot them all day long with a grin from ear to ear.:D

ak-kev
December 28, 2011, 07:46 AM
I couldnt have said it any better Smokepole! I agree 100% on BOTH :)

CraigC
December 28, 2011, 02:19 PM
I like the Remingtons but prefer Colt's, percussion and cartridge, with a particular fondness for the 1860 and Open Top models.

kBob
December 28, 2011, 02:35 PM
I voted Colt and "Ginger."

My next BP revolver is likely to be a remington, though.

-kBob

DoubleDeuce 1
December 28, 2011, 07:23 PM
Colt. No questions. Its like the leg of a beautiful woman.:cool:

MCgunner
December 28, 2011, 08:05 PM
Cap jams: happen. Misfires: can happen. That much is true of even the vaunted ROA.

Been shooting ROAs for since 1979. I cannot recall a cap jam. If I keep the nipples clean, I don't have misfires. But, that's true of my Colts and Remmies. The Colt is the ONLY one that allows a cap to fall into the hammer. But, I haven't had the Remmy that long, so I can't testify to THAT quite yet, but i don't see how a spent cap to get in there through the frame. I did have one get into the next cylinder's nipple, but I just cocked and kept on firing, one less round until I cleared it. THAT hasn't even happened with my ROA.

Busyhands94
December 28, 2011, 08:10 PM
It's harder to be a Remington fan. (Sorta like being a fan of the team that comes in last place every year? :neener: ) Sure, they are also accurate, powerful, and spew the same sulfurous smoke. But they have looks and clunky features that only a mother could love.

:what: Look me in the eye and tell me that isn't a nice looking handgun. I mean look at it, it's so beautiful with that antiqued brass frame, nice blued steel, slightly distressed wood, worn cylinder that has a patina. And that converter that makes it shoot .22 LR or short, my gosh that converter makes it even better cause I can shoot indoors. (speaking of witch, I made a little barrel that slips into the existing barrel. That makes it so POA isn't changed everytime I eject and reload. My groups have tightened.)
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/003-3.jpg

That nice sweeping loading lever... The notched cylinder. I'll take a country woman who's God fearing, can cook, shoot, and over some fashion model from the city. I've always been that way about women, and the same applies for guns. I like them to be functional, so the Remmy is perfect. I also feel safer knowing if I'm carrying this thing to check the trot line or something (I like to carry in the woods) because I can load all six and rest the hammer between any chamber I like. It's probably one of my favorite features. And I mean who wouldn't want to be able to carry six? I like knowing if it falls out of my holster when I'm walking and it lands on the hammer I won't get my head blown off. http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/005-4.jpg

Lunie
December 29, 2011, 01:42 AM
Sorry Levi, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And in my eyes, the Remington has no appeal.

That aside, the Colt guns will do anything the Remington does. It's just as practical and functional. They just look a little better (to some) while they do it. The Colt can be carried with 6 as well. (They also have catches between the chambers.)

And MC, I wasn't accusing the ROA of cap jams. I don't know if it does or can. Misfires, on the other hand... Folks can claim what they like, but saying such a thing can't happen is an exercise in prevarication.

Sort of like saying the Remington or 1860 is better than the other. It hasn't been proven in over 150 years, and it never will be, 'cept in the minds of those who bother to argue. ;)

arcticap
December 29, 2011, 10:44 AM
There was a similar poll done in August, 2011 that's now closed:

witch do you prefer, Colts or Remingtons?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=607700&highlight=poll

And there's two other revolver polls that are still open:

1. What's Your Favorite C&B Revolver Pattern?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=512571&highlight=poll

2. BP Pistol manufacturer

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=403275&highlight=poll

junkman_01
December 29, 2011, 12:22 PM
Yea, this stupid kind of poll keeps coming up with the same results! I tired of it. It should be a locked sticky, because the final tally is usually the same. :banghead:

Lunie
December 29, 2011, 02:28 PM
arcticap, I think this one is interesting...

http://www.thehighroad.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=6304

Colts of all types: 56.99%
Remington variations: 24.74%
Ruger Old Army: 12.9%

arcticap
December 29, 2011, 03:16 PM
The results of these polls does reflect what the respondents consider to be their favorites.
If the poll asked which models have people actually bought, then I think that the results could be very different since many folks do own multiple revolver patterns.

I've posted two other polls:

Multiple Voting - Which Of These C&B Models Do You Currently Own?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=633822

What's Your Favorite Colt?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=633966

Regarding polls in general, the more people that vote the more accurate the results. :)

junkman_01
December 29, 2011, 03:22 PM
Lunie,

The results of that poll are as expected. The Colt open tops won by a great margin. I no longer find that interesting.

CraigC
December 29, 2011, 03:39 PM
I don't understand why there needs to be a winner and a loser, or why it should be perceived as such. Then again, everything these days is a contest.

BlackEagle
December 29, 2011, 06:12 PM
I prefer the Remington because 1. I like the looks and frame. 2. It's the one I have. If I had a Colt also, I might have a harder time deciding which one to choose between.

junkman_01
December 29, 2011, 06:43 PM
Get a Colt, because you don't know what you're missing! :cool:

YumaKid
December 30, 2011, 12:33 AM
No "opinions"; just personal experience. I learned to shoot handguns on S&W K-frame DA's, and have owned a Python and a couple of S&W K-frames. (Sold the Python to buy my wife's and my wedding ring set). Shot Colt 51's and 60's and one lone ASM '58 before buying my first Pietta NMA. And then another one, this time with the 5-1/2" barrel.

Obviously, I vote Remington. It just "works better" for me.

Montenegrin
December 30, 2011, 06:28 PM
hehe this is realy what it comes down to the pretty trophy wife or the good cook

ill take the good cook any day

go Remington

Who says that?Colt is the both from these.
And for those ones that are saying that only Remington has fast cyl changes...
On the original Colts wedges come out with just finger presure,same thing with broken in Ubertis.And I can change cylinders as fast as I could do that with Remington

ApacheCoTodd
December 30, 2011, 06:36 PM
Gotta go Remington - The Colt always looks like an incomplete firearm to me and I like the Remington sighting better.

damoc
December 30, 2011, 10:40 PM
Who says that?Colt is the both from these.
And for those ones that are saying that only Remington has fast cyl changes...
On the original Colts wedges come out with just finger presure,same thing with broken in Ubertis.And I can change cylinders as fast as I could do that with Remington
nope from my expierience colt isnt both of these (hey im just playin its all personal choice)

But 1st fact is the remington has a much stronger frame undisputable

2nd fact i can drop out a cyl and have my remington in 2 pieces whereas the colt will be in 3.

I think this is a fact but not sure, if you can release the colt pin with finger pressure the frame is already stretched (hehe mine is)

3rd fact colts jam caps much much worse than the remington the only cure i have found
is to point my colt to the sky to give the cap time to fall out (very slow and i feel kinda retarded)

4th fact remington allows for a rear adjustable sight (even a scope) i dont think this is
historically correct but still an option.

another fact which most people do not realise is that remingtons can be loaded to full power and shot reliably without cyl jams ever.(so please stop throwing that up in our faces) it aint our fault you coltsters cant load a remington correctly LOL.

5th fact the remington is a fine looking old firearm anyway and it feels much better in my
hand than my modern 45 colt blackhawk (which im considering selling for another 58)

6th fact look around you at modern wheel guns and compare how close they look to a remington and a colt.you will find very few if any that look like the colt open top designe.

and that my friends is survival of the strongest

go remington

damoc
December 30, 2011, 10:46 PM
Gotta go Remington - The Colt always looks like an incomplete firearm to me and I like the Remington sighting better.
cool pic

see i see this and i see something built right the first time
something built to last

Montenegrin
December 31, 2011, 05:47 AM
deleted (you wanted it)

junkman_01
December 31, 2011, 08:26 AM
Can we please end this pissing contest?

brushhippie
December 31, 2011, 09:39 AM
I have both and shoot and clean both every time I shoot. How about The Patterson vs. long bows and arrows......wonder how the Rangers would have voted.......

Shultzhaus
December 31, 2011, 10:15 AM
I have several of both. When someone calls, and suggests we go to the range, I sit and try to decide which one to take. My wife says that's an indication I have too many guns already.

ApacheCoTodd
December 31, 2011, 01:38 PM
I thought - no, upon rereading the OP, I know that this is a preference poll. How can a preference ever be wrong?

Personally, I prefer the atmosphere on Mars to that of the Earth. Now, I may have my ass up my head on that one but my preference is not incorrect.

junkman_01
December 31, 2011, 02:37 PM
No one says you are wrong. It's just that these threads ALWAYS wind up to be a pissing contest, and that's not very HIGH ROAD!

45-70 Ranger
December 31, 2011, 08:21 PM
Well, I have decided that these polls are an invitation to, as junkman_1 put it as a pissing match. So in the the future when I see a poll come up in this forum, I think I'll pass and not open it. I have better things to do than read where this guy says this is great and that guy says that stinks....Really folks, this is really bordering on the totally silly don't you think?

Ok, the oldman is now off his soapbox and going on to read something that has some value to it. IF it can still be found:scrutiny:

junkman_01
December 31, 2011, 08:34 PM
Happy New Year 45-70 Ranger.

It's you and me. Why don't we start our own poll and ask 'How many feel that polls lead to pissing contests?'

Nah, that poll would lead to a pissing contest too!

I'm with you. From now on I won't even open a poll on THR. The mods should have locked it up a long time ago. :banghead:

CraigC
January 1, 2012, 12:34 AM
Nevermind.

Busyhands94
January 1, 2012, 01:05 AM
To put it this way, I love my Remington. It's my favorite handgun, cartridge or cap and ball. But we've all got opinions, we all like different firearms. I like Remingtons, while others like Colts, to each their own. Now don't start off the new year with a "What I've got is better than what you've got" kind of argument.

~Levi

Hellgate
January 1, 2012, 01:13 AM
I don't know, I seem to learn a little about each gun when I read these things. The bickering is a turn off but overall I think the polls are even more helpful to the newbies so I'll keep opening them and contributing.

MCgunner
January 1, 2012, 02:33 PM
Hmm, as they say, it's "within the margin of error". :D

You guys need to get over to this thread and record a choice. There's already some cap and ball input from me and others there. :D I mean, Smith K frame vs colt or Remmy or Colt SAA? REALLY? :rolleyes:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=634380

BHP FAN
January 1, 2012, 06:21 PM
1863 Remington, 1875 Remington, and 1890 Remington, in the reverse of that order. They just kept getting better!

bannockburn
January 2, 2012, 09:12 AM
While my first BP revolver was a Navy Arms 1858 Remington, my all time favorite is the Colt Model 1860 Army. Just something about its styling and the way it balances in my hand makes it my first choice for revolvers from that time period.

Dellbert
January 5, 2012, 08:46 PM
I started out with a Remington New Army and have the Colt 1860. Having used them both I'm still a Remington fan. I Like the Remington so much I bought one of each Remington revolvers made over the last few years from .44 cal to .36 cal long and short barrels. I do like the feel of the 1860 Colt Army but if I could only have one it would be the Remington New Army.

Cauterizer
January 6, 2012, 06:43 PM
I just found this info on Uberti's site...and who knows more about the American Civil War than the Italians? LOL anyway it was this very quote that tipped my favor to purchase a Remington 1858 over a Colt. It was one point that soldiers from both sides could agree on after using them to hurl lead at each other for 4 years....by the way...as a high school history teacher, I did a lot of homework before I went over to the dark side
of black powder...and this quote kept popping up in all my research,&finally sealed the deal for me..I made my decision and I stand by it...oh and the barrel won't fall off if I drop it either...another selling point...plus a simple handwritten note about the gun from Willliam F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody drove the nail all the way in... it reads: "It never failed me." Cody carried the revolver in its original cap & ball configuration well into the time when cartridges were being used and never converted it.

Here's the Uberti quote verbatim from their web site:

"Though many percussion revolvers were on the market before, during, and after the Civil War, no firearm offered such a challenge to the dominant Colt revolvers as did the 1858 Remington. Produced in both .36 caliber (Navy) and in the more popular .44 caliber, the 1858 Revolver was considered by many to be every bit the gun a Colt was, and then some. It is said that soldiers of the Civil War not only preferred it by far as their choice of sidearm, but would actually trade a handful of Colts for one Remington New Army. In fact, after the war, the Remington out-sold the Colt as a surplus weapon to veterans who had experienced first hand how the two guns stood up side by side to the rigors of combat use. The strength of the Remington had always been the first issue in its favor. As elegant as the Colt revolvers were, they lacked the strength of the solid frame Remington. Perhaps not as easily dismantled for cleaning, the Remington 1858 was full framed and capable of bearing under greater abuse than the open-top design of the Colt.""

mykeal
January 6, 2012, 06:59 PM
And you believed it?

Some people believe anything they see on the internet.

junkman_01
January 6, 2012, 07:29 PM
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/forum/Smileys/default/lol-049.gif

damoc
January 6, 2012, 10:58 PM
YIPPEE the Remington is now in first place where it belongs LOL

go Remington

junkman_01
January 7, 2012, 08:28 AM
Look again. It's a tie! ;)

ak-kev
January 7, 2012, 11:37 AM
Wow......50/50!!

Cauterizer
January 7, 2012, 02:33 PM
I'm glad you noticed the irony of the humor...Old Sam Colt knew attribution doesnt equal belief..The National Enquirer said so...but when Sam Colt was the only game in town..he could say and charge whatever the market would bear...and arguably Colt's of that era are worth far more than Remington's today...maybe he was ahead of his time...he was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2006, his genius recognized only 144 years after his death. RIP Colonel Colt

Cauterizer
January 7, 2012, 03:09 PM
"A nation now divided." ---last time they said that it took 4 years to end it..
"Chickamauga! Chickamauga!"

Jaymo
January 7, 2012, 08:30 PM
We weren't a nation divided then. We were two separate nations.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington New Army vs. Colt 1860 Army" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!