Learned something new regarding bolt action rifles...

PDA

baylorattorney
December 24, 2011, 03:15 PM
A 14 year old learned hunter, Remington Pulido, son of a celebrity, taught me something new the other day which I never read in any owners manual of any of the several bolt action rifles I have acquired. I'm sure many of you learned fellows were already aware of how to uncock a bolt action rifle to ensure there can be no dry firing, etc.
DON'T TRY THIS WITH A LOADED WEAPON. when closing the bolt keep the trigger fully depressed and this uncocks the gun. I never knew that or it's importance. Thank you.

Mark, esquire

If you enjoyed reading about "Learned something new regarding bolt action rifles..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
helotaxi
December 24, 2011, 03:37 PM
I'd verify for each different model rifle, but it works on a Savage.

Learned something new today.

average_shooter
December 24, 2011, 03:40 PM
I've been doing that with my bolt action .22 (Romanian trainer surplus) for years. Not really new to me, but I didn't think it would work universally.

ngnrd
December 24, 2011, 03:45 PM
I've always done that to take the pressure off of the mainspring during storage. Always unloaded, of course.

baylorattorney
December 24, 2011, 03:56 PM
Worked on my sako, weatherby, and Remington 700. *redacted for safety

Waste not want not. :)

Shadow 7D
December 24, 2011, 04:20 PM
even with cock on open guns it works, you are taking the sear out of the picture, hence nothing to catch the FP/bolt as you close

VA27
December 24, 2011, 05:01 PM
This won't work on the Arisaka action. Don't ask me why, I never did figure it out.

Red Cent
December 24, 2011, 05:01 PM
Always.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
December 24, 2011, 05:04 PM
Works on Mauser actions as well as Enfield Actions as well.

Float Pilot
December 24, 2011, 07:04 PM
On the cock on closing M-96 Swede Mausers, you have to pull the trigger when the bolt is still about 1/3 to 1/4 out as you are pushing it home so it does not snag the sear.
The other option with them and the 1903 / 1903A3 Springfield is to lower the cocking piece down slowing on an empty chamber.

If you enjoyed reading about "Learned something new regarding bolt action rifles..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!