Shes a real "fix er uper" why do people do this

PDA

TwoWheelFiend
December 24, 2011, 06:36 PM
$200 hahahaha. Why do people let guns get like this?

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9292376

Found that while trying to find some more info on my 1915 Gew 98. Mines in far better shape :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Shes a real "fix er uper" why do people do this" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Friendly, Don't Fire!
December 24, 2011, 06:58 PM
Looks to me with all that powder that it may have been in a place where a fire extinguisher (dry chemical) was sprayed at it. Maybe a nearby fire caused much of the rust.

ApacheCoTodd
December 24, 2011, 07:15 PM
I went straight to post-fire-proximity as well.

Eb1
December 24, 2011, 08:10 PM
Why does anyone let anything they own go to the pot?

Fleet
December 24, 2011, 08:13 PM
All that powder is the chalk that was used to make the lettering stand out.

rcmodel
December 24, 2011, 08:15 PM
I'm thinking the guy has a real bad coke habit, and is selling his gun to buy more coke.

rc

BrocLuno
December 24, 2011, 08:20 PM
It's just an old rifle and he is not a shooter?

Or he's a modern kid with a plastic black rifle and sees that maybe he can sell grandpas old barn gun for some more rail toys?

There are a million reasons and a million rifles in the corner of old barns across the USA.

dirtyjim
December 24, 2011, 08:24 PM
it does have a decent oberndorf gew98 receiver & the rest of the parts that are salvageable could be sold. it was probably bought as a donor action for a project & depending on how much pitting is below the woodline i might have been willing to pay that for it but i like oberndorf actions

average_shooter
December 24, 2011, 08:26 PM
Auction Closed: August 21, 2009 23:08:36 PDT

Seller's Description:
Waffenfabrik Mauser A-G Oberndorf A/N 1915. #1525 barrell and receiver #2578 bolt Barrel is plugged. Email me with any questions. I am selling this for my local American Legion, so any questions I will have to ask them before I can give an answer. Thanks a lot for looking!

And yet someone actually paid $200 for this thing back in '09.

Vaarok
December 24, 2011, 10:28 PM
Worth it for parts, definitely. The reason they look crappy is after WW1 lots of rifles were deactivated and passed out as war-bond dividends or given to VFWs as drill/honorguard rifles.

And I concur, it's chalk.

Typical deactivated rifle, left to slowly rust in the closet except when brought out for parades or whatever.

Stock's probably worth $200. Bolt parts and the action itself another maybe $150 to the right people.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shes a real "fix er uper" why do people do this" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!