What is this?


December 24, 2011, 08:25 PM
Today's dumb question:

2 of these came with my press (Lee Classic Turret) & I don't know what they are. No mention of them in the instructions, no visible use of them in youtube "how to set up a press" type videos, & no mention in my Lee reloading book (at least not that I've come across - haven't finished it yet).


If you enjoyed reading about "What is this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
December 24, 2011, 08:31 PM
Small and large primer arm:


December 24, 2011, 08:38 PM
Those are your primer rams, you should have both sizes.
There's a slot down the center on the main ram of your press with a cross pin near the bottom, the small slot directly below the primer cup fits on the cross pin and leans out when the ram is up, on the downstroke the primer ram tips into the shellholder to seat the primer.
Hope that's not too confusing but once you fiddle with it, it'll be pretty clear.

December 24, 2011, 09:38 PM

I've been doing my primers by hand with a Lee autoprime so I guess I haven't had a use for them.

Is that something I can leave in all the time? Filling that slot would be great because about 1 out of every 10 primers escapes onto the floor thru it.


December 24, 2011, 09:45 PM
Yep...thats where it goes...you should at least try priming with it too because mine works great, seats primer below flush just like its supposed to. You'll also need the Safety Prime..

December 24, 2011, 10:35 PM
Jumping primer control !!!


December 24, 2011, 10:39 PM
I'm agree with Ridgerunner. I love the safety prime!

December 25, 2011, 02:21 AM
Jumping primer control !!!

What is that? Is that something you put in there or did it come with your press?

I'll work up to priming on the press but for now I'm comfortable doing it by hand.

December 25, 2011, 10:42 AM
Yeah, just drop it in place even if you prime off the press.
The pin that arm hangs on is what an occasional primer hits and gets knocked out of the ram by.
With the arm in there the old primer can go nowhere but down into the tube.
Pretty nice little feature.

T Bran
December 25, 2011, 11:06 AM
On the press is the only way I prime. This is a pretty neat little system allowing you to have a good feel for the ammount of resistance it takes to seat each primer. In the kit I bought from Lee there is a hand priming device that I never even opened up or assembled. Guess I should give it a go one day but I like priming on the press so it may never leave the box.
If you are happy using the hand primer stick with it. If the pin is deflecting primers to the floor just cut a plastic drinking straw to legnth and stick it in the slot where the arm goes to redirect the spent primers down the ram.

December 25, 2011, 11:53 AM
It`s a straw from mickey Ds cut to length !


December 25, 2011, 12:17 PM
That little interfering pin that wants to kick spent primers out on your nice clean floor (yeah, right) is just a roll pin.
I prime off the press so I just pushed it out so I didn't have to mess with that primer arm hanging there.
It's a small one so it's best to use a regular roll pin punch.

December 25, 2011, 08:00 PM
The straw worked WONDERFULLY! Thanks for the tip.

About 500 cases today and exactly 1 primer on the floor. At first i didn't have the straw seated very well and a couple primers hung up & collected on it. After I smooshed it in a little better, no more issues.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!