What do think about the CCW Banner ???

PDA

David
December 25, 2011, 01:10 AM
I don't know if this was posted before, however I thought this may be an interesting product for those who carry concealed firearms .........

http://www.dsmsafety.com/faqs.html

Any thoughts?

Season's Greetings!

Thanks .........

If you enjoyed reading about "What do think about the CCW Banner ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gfpd707
December 25, 2011, 01:12 AM
Very good idea. Only downside is it could also be used by the bad guy but you can buy a complete police uniform from lots of place on the internet.

hso
December 25, 2011, 01:12 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=524564&highlight=dsmsafety.com

Makes you a target for BGs and since anyone can get it doesn't provide the assurance that you won't get shot by the GGs.

USAF_Vet
December 25, 2011, 01:14 AM
Looks like something from the Ms. America pageant.

Cokeman
December 25, 2011, 01:20 AM
Are you supposed to always wear it, or hurry and put it on when a situation arises, before drawing you gun? :confused:

RightCoastBiased
December 25, 2011, 01:24 AM
Pretty sure it has showed up on the boards before. I think it's ridiculous and would only give a threat an advantage.

Might as well open carry, at least then you're firearm is more easily accessible.

USAF_Vet
December 25, 2011, 01:35 AM
Are you supposed to always wear it, or hurry and put it on when a situation arises, before drawing you gun? :confused:
from the ad

Will I remember to deploy the DSM Safety Banner after a critical incident?

Not unless you train with your banner, Sgt. Mike Lessman advises that once your adversary is down, seek cover, tactically reload and deploy your banner, this should be practiced in your range training sessions so that if you are faced with a critical incident, you will revert back to your training.

Yeah, I'm going to keep this big shiny banner in my back pocket for just such an occasion. :rolleyes:

CajunBass
December 25, 2011, 01:39 AM
About as much good as one that says

"Don't shoot! I'm the good guy!"

:rolleyes:

writerinmo
December 25, 2011, 02:32 AM
Or the "Concealed Carry" badge and holder...

The Kershaw
December 25, 2011, 04:16 AM
Hahahahahahahhahahaha! These are as ridiculous as those CCW badges.

Only a total tool shed would think these are a good idea.

They even have one that says "ARMED!" Jeez Louise over here guys.

stickhauler
December 25, 2011, 04:25 AM
Only to be worn in the event you also always dress in the most current mall ninja garb. And you must also wear your concealed carry "badge" in the approved wanna-be cop style belt, or lanyard deployment accessories.

You can also get a custom "banner" produced with the lettering "I'm a Dumbass" to substitute if desired.

Is there some misunderstanding about the meaning of the words "concealed carry?"

beatledog7
December 25, 2011, 09:18 AM
Might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. What's next -- brightly-colored "PERP" banners?

Ragnar Danneskjold
December 25, 2011, 09:28 AM
The question is a good one. "How does a plain clothes officer or civilian carrying a concealed weapon quickly identify themselves to responding officers?"

I just don't think this is a very good or realistic answer.

bikerdoc
December 25, 2011, 09:32 AM
I want one that says CRANKY OLD MAN.

Oh, never mind why state the obvious.

mgregg85
December 25, 2011, 09:37 AM
Do they have a FAQ on the website? I just wanna know if it is durable enough to have a CCW badge pinned on it.:cool:

beatledog7
December 25, 2011, 09:46 AM
Realistically, in 99.9% of cases, by the time LEOs are responding, the prudent concealed carry or open carry gun owner has either avoided the incident or resolved it.

If he avoided it, he isn't there to identify himself to anyone; this is the preferred situation.

If he was forced to resolve it, his firearm and remaining ammo are on the ground at his feet along with his credentials.

In the one-in-a-thousand incident where LEOs arrive and the shooting is still going on, it's time for the armed civilian to disarm, ground the firearm, and just stay covered as best he or she can. Once the LEOs arrive, it's their fight.

beeenbag
December 25, 2011, 09:51 AM

I wear mine under my outer garment. Then if a situation arises I tear off my OG displaying my banner, ccw badge and bullet proof vest.

Its kind of a superman thing without the phone booth. :neener:

Merry Christmas!

ball3006
December 25, 2011, 10:54 AM
Might as well wear it over a T-shirt that says "DUMB ASS INSIDE".....chris3

mgmorden
December 25, 2011, 11:07 AM
Stupid, stupid, stupid idea. Realisitcally we just have to accept that the concept of self-defense and concealed carry does tend to attract the mall ninjas, and we have to learn to ignore the products marketed to them, as to any sane person they'll seem ridiculous.

If you're actually involved in a shooting - once the threat has subsided - either holster your weapon, or lay it on the ground in front of you. Wait for law enforcement to arrive and when they do KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM THE GUN. It doesn't matter what type of sash, badge, or "banner" you happen to throw on - any cop with half a brain is going to be ignoring all of that until the situation is squared away and all weapons on the scene are accounted for and inaccessible.

303tom
December 25, 2011, 12:10 PM
Why would I want everyone to know I am packing ?

dusty14u
December 25, 2011, 01:32 PM
I think it would look fantabulous with my concealed carry badge.;)

JohnJak
December 25, 2011, 01:37 PM
I hope you are kidding.

Lonestar49
December 25, 2011, 01:54 PM

My God, the_minds behind this (patent pending).. :rolleyes:

$31.95 per fool is what this is all about..

Ls

The Sarge
December 25, 2011, 04:02 PM
OMG that is funny. Reminds of me of Jeff Foxworthy...."give that guy a sign"

GEM
December 25, 2011, 04:05 PM
It will go along with your Miss CCW of the Universe Crown and your concealed carry holster stuck in a bouquet of flowers.

Hope you win the talent contest! :D

ATBackPackin
December 25, 2011, 04:42 PM
I think I would rather the bad guys wear a banner than the good guys.

chhodge69
December 25, 2011, 04:56 PM
I'd keep that tucked into a pocket on my tactical underpants.
http://policelink.monster.com/products/products/42-xgo-tactical-flame-resistant-boxers#

Deanimator
December 25, 2011, 05:07 PM
Utterly worthless in Ohio.

We have mandatory VERBAL notification in official police stops, so it doesn't meet that requirement.
You still have to have your Ohio CHL and a second form of legal ID. You might as well sling a rolled garbage bag over your shoulder.

RetroMan
December 25, 2011, 05:08 PM
I'd keep that tucked into a pocket on my tactical underpants.
http://policelink.monster.com/produc...istant-boxers#

Say them'd come in handy with all the spicy food I'm eatin'n over the holidays.:eek:

chevyman097
December 26, 2011, 10:31 AM
31.99? I think if people are actually buying those I need to start making them. jeeeez

LibShooter
December 26, 2011, 12:23 PM
If, God forbid! I'm ever caught in a shooting melee the last thing I would want is an eye-catching yellow ribbon draped across my heart. My job is to disappear, preferably behind some big object that will stop flying lead.

1911 guy
December 26, 2011, 12:32 PM
I'm on the fence. On on hand, it seems utterly pointless. On the other, I've been thinking of adding some bling to my wardrobe. Maybe if they got one that said "Emporer of the World" or some other suitable title.

Nah. I put this in the little museum of not so great ideas, right next to CHL badges and adding the word "Tactical" to everything sold in a gun catalog.

Even if I was a cop, I'd expect a responding officer to demand a little more evidence than my spiffy ballcap emblazoned "POLICE". Same thing here.

FIVETWOSEVEN
December 26, 2011, 01:44 PM
Makes you a target for BGs and since anyone can get it doesn't provide the assurance that you won't get shot by the GGs.

If you are already holding a gun on someone, that already makes you a target.

Only a total tool shed would think these are a good idea.

Off duty cops have been shot because their back was towards those in uniform. Their badge was facing the wrong way. These banners could prevent that by giving the cops hesitation.

CAR-AR
December 26, 2011, 01:59 PM
When I carry I wrap my torso with crime scene tape under my shirt, it's a lot cheaper and it saves the LEOs time from having to dig around for their roll of tape.:D

Pilot
December 26, 2011, 02:08 PM
This is a joke. Right?

Worst idea ever.

ny32182
December 26, 2011, 02:17 PM
In the 1-in-10 million chance I'm ever involved in a shooting, and it occurs outside my home, I plan to be gone from the scene as fast as possible in case the perp has buddies near by, and calling the cops from a safe distance.

Cokeman
December 26, 2011, 02:19 PM
... while wearing your sash. :neener:

rondog
December 26, 2011, 02:24 PM
I prefer a white hat with a flashing green strobe light on it, to signify I'm the Good Guy.

m1911.10mm
December 26, 2011, 02:30 PM

My God, the_minds behind this (patent pending).. :rolleyes:

$31.95 per fool is what this is all about..

Ls

$31.95? Is someone having a post-Christmas sale?

They're $31.99, like post number 30 says.

Those things must have a wholesale value of about one nickel.

ants
December 26, 2011, 02:36 PM
I hear they are sending several hundred thousand to Afghanistan,
half of them marked Coalition and the other half marked Taliban.
That solves the identification problem for both sides.

Well, makes about the same amount of sense on the streets of USA.

On the other hand, maybe we're misunderstanding the purpose.
Maybe it's to put a smile on the face of responding LEO,
arriving upon the scene of a shooting to find the bad guy lying face down
with the shooter standing nearby dressed like Miss Congeniality.
:p

ants
December 26, 2011, 02:38 PM
Wearing a CCW sash will be used by a zealous District Attorney as evidence against you.

Not to mention the plaintiff's lawyer in the civil suit that will surely follow.
"Ladies and Gentlement of the jury, he had a 10mm handgun,
loaded with hollow points, and wore a SASH!
If that doesn't say Excessive Force, I don't know what does.
If the Sash fits, you must convict!!!"

Smokin Gator
December 26, 2011, 03:52 PM
For $8.95 they offer their new "second generation" carrying case for the banner. Thinner than the original case.

I have read about people attending CCW training before where they were offered the chance to buy the CCW badges. Usually it seems that these offers come in classes that are given by LEO's or former LEO. I guess they figure that more people will think the badges or banners are a good idea because they are offered by people with a law enforcement connection.
Mark

MuleRyder
December 26, 2011, 04:48 PM
one word - ridiculous

Toaster
December 26, 2011, 05:34 PM
i could use one to wipe the grease off my fingers after noshing on a can of tactical bacon...

Cokeman
December 26, 2011, 06:31 PM
$31.95? Is someone having a post-Christmas sale?

They're $31.99, like post number 30 says.

Those things must have a wholesale value of about one nickel.

You're not taking into account all the R&D to develop something like this and other overhead that has to be recouped.

stickhauler
December 27, 2011, 01:37 AM
I have read about people attending CCW training before where they were offered the chance to buy the CCW badges. Usually it seems that these offers come in classes that are given by LEO's or former LEO. I guess they figure that more people will think the badges or banners are a good idea because they are offered by people with a law enforcement connection.

Maybe by a LEO who is making a profit off selling them, but nobody involved in Law Enforcement that I know would endorse them. I know, in several visits to my shooting range, I've pulled up ads for similar trash and asked their opinion of them. When they stopped laughing enough to actually speak, the total group asked if it was some fake stuff someone created a website jokingly portraying this as a good idea.

Now, that hat with a flashing green strobe has some potential if production costs come in low enough, LOL!

sig228
December 27, 2011, 09:26 AM
Banners??? We don't need no stinking' banners!!

kd7nqb
December 27, 2011, 10:35 AM
TERRIBLE IDEA, its not going to make any difference and its worse than those stupid CCW badges. For my full thoughts click over to my blog where I wrote a much longer rant..

http://tacticaltupperware.com/?p=865

FROGO207
December 27, 2011, 08:57 PM
Well at least you don't have to get a tattoo on your forehead that says LICENSED CCW in big orange letters when approved.:neener:

sm
December 27, 2011, 09:37 PM
Concealed is concealed.

I go back to when there was NO CCW permits/licenses.
Yeah, I am that old.

And yeah I was in a High-Risk environment from the time I was born. Judges, and various Law Enforcement told me and mine we would be stupid and wake up dead if we did not carry concealed. At the "least just maimed, blinded, injured...".

This includes keeping your damn mouth shut, about having a gun, wearing it daily. The only persons that should know, are you, and those like you, whom work with/like you.

Internet is a faster means of communications...

This does NOT mean everything on Internet is true and correct.

Marketing is about money, not about you.
Damn, I thought we had finally gotten over CCW Badges, and here comes along Banners
*sigh*

Life is life and reality is real.

My lessons were all private.
If I ever get the monies and time off, I would like training from Givens, Awerbuck, SouthNarc and Ayoob and...
I suggest this...as one cannot buy skill, targets, or surviving real threats, as I have...
As Lee Lapin has in his signature line:

Mindset, skill sets, then tool sets

Not a damn thing about CCW banners or badges has ever come up in over five decades, nor will the ever be as far as I am concered.

I have been there, done that, survived.

*angry*

84B20
December 27, 2011, 09:46 PM
What do you guys really feel about the idea? This is one of the funniest threads I have read. :D

Skribs
December 27, 2011, 09:52 PM
Let me hide my gun real well and then put this on so nobody knows I'm CCW.

Hawthorne2k
December 27, 2011, 10:00 PM
I think it should come with a tiara, high heels and a bouquet of roses. And Bert Park should croon if I put in on.

Smokin Gator
December 27, 2011, 10:29 PM
Quote:

"Maybe by a LEO who is making a profit off selling them, but nobody involved in Law Enforcement that I know would endorse them. I know, in several visits to my shooting range, I've pulled up ads for similar trash and asked their opinion of them. When they stopped laughing enough to actually speak, the total group asked if it was some fake stuff someone created a website jokingly portraying this as a good idea."

I agree with you on that. I would assume that a LEO who is running a CCW class and offering the CCW badges is doing it for a profit. I would think that they would have a better chance of selling some badges compared to a non LEO CCW trainer. It might give people the idea that police do approve of the badges. Other than that I can't imagine LEO thinking the CCW badges are a good idea. Mark

mdauben
December 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/9/92979/1667734-jokerlaughingfacepalm_super.jpg

Busyhands94
December 27, 2011, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't wear one if I was carrying.

steven58
December 28, 2011, 10:38 AM
I'm a tradItionalist. I'm sticking with my mask, cape and red white and blue spandex unitard!

sc1911cwp
December 28, 2011, 11:33 AM
Before this I was just going to get a tattoo of a CWP Badge.

Cokeman
December 28, 2011, 11:31 PM
You're still talking about this?

chevyman097
December 29, 2011, 12:01 AM
So are you?

Cokeman
December 29, 2011, 12:33 AM
Nope.

NoAlibi
December 29, 2011, 02:00 AM
FiveTwoSeven: "If you are already holding a gun on someone, that already makes you a target."

Been there, done that. FiveTwoSeven makes a valid point. If you are ever in that situation you better have some course of action already in mind to avoid getting shot by the police or at least being handled roughly.

BTW, IMO a banner would not be a viable solution. Now a white cowboy hat with starboard and port strobe lights pinned to the feather bedecked hatband... :D

ArmedOkie
December 29, 2011, 02:28 AM
This seems like something the states will start making MANDATORY.

"If you are involved in an armed altercation, deploy your banner as soon as safely possible to alert responding officers."

That's also the only way it would be of any benefit, if they were officially designed and distributed by government agency as a mandatory part of being licensed to carry. These business guys are doing all the work for the law-makers...

candr44
December 29, 2011, 07:47 PM
I wear a ccw banner all the time_____Its a chick magnet! Girls are always interested in seeing my concealed weapon and I always show it to them.

Some day I might even buy a gun to go along with my banner.

sc1911cwp
December 29, 2011, 08:09 PM
Well I guess Cokeman is gone.

gpb
December 29, 2011, 10:44 PM
Put a "I gave to the PBA" sticker on it and wear it while driving. A sure way to beat a speeding ticket.

Zach S
December 30, 2011, 12:08 AM
I read a post here a while back where someone mentioned one of their family members held burglar at gunpoint until the police arrived. When the police arrived, both the homeowner and burglar were secured, until the homeowner's wife identified him as her husband. Secure the scene first, then figure out the details. Sure, its a safe bet that the man in his underwear at the address of B&E call at 03:00 is the home owner, but its still a gamble...

I've seen it first hand as well. Not a shooting, but a fistfight that the police broke up, then searched both men, and put them in cuffs. The victim was later uncuffed, then got an apology and explanation.

So, I've already assumed that if I am involved in a SD shooting, the responding police will give me orders at gunpoint, secure my sidearm, search my person, and have me in cuffs pretty quickly. I don't think the banner is going to stop that.

I'll spend that $32 on something more beneficial, like half a tank of gas.

NavyLCDR
December 30, 2011, 12:59 AM
It makes it easier to shoot the criminal.... when they attack you, you put your CCW sash on. Then shoot the criminal when they fall to the floor laughing at you.

MICHAEL T
December 30, 2011, 01:12 AM
Only a total idiot would buy let alone carry it

ShawnC
December 30, 2011, 01:22 AM
Can I get one that says "Gecko45" on it? That would strike fear in the hearts of all ne'er do wells and send them running in the opposite direction. Then the police could throw me a parade! And I'd be already dressed for it!

CZguy
December 30, 2011, 01:34 AM
I'm a tradItionalist. I'm sticking with my mask, cape and red white and blue spandex unitard!

I'm perfectly fine with that.......just as long as you don''t post a picture of yourself. :D

MuleRyder
December 30, 2011, 07:17 AM
I can't believe this thread is still going- It must be that everyone can't stop laughing.

GEM
December 30, 2011, 11:20 AM
Wear one with a big diaper for New Years. Carry in Thunderwear under the diaper. Carry a Judge to complete the laugh riot. :D

floydster
December 30, 2011, 12:17 PM
I love mine, I have them in four different colors, I even wear it to bed and out cutting grass and blowing snow.
Am thinking of wearing it when I shower---one never knows:)

The Lone Haranguer
December 30, 2011, 01:18 PM
If you aren't a LEO, the police are likely to take a very dim view of the "POLICE" banner. The "CCW" reminds me too much of the "CCW badges," which I don't recommend anyone actually carry or use, for pretty much the same reasons as they resemble LEO badges. A banner saying "CALL POLICE" has a little more merit, but I doubt if it will get you any special treatment from arriving LEOs. They have no way of identifying the good vs. bad guys, so everyone still standing is going to get proned out and handcuffed until they sort it out. Bottom line: I'll pass.

CoRoMo
December 30, 2011, 01:27 PM
Just recently wore out my first one. Have to order another this weekend.

Cokeman
December 30, 2011, 02:11 PM
Well I guess Cokeman is gone.

Sorry, I've been at Wal-mart looking for one of these banners. They don't have them. :(

altitude_19
December 30, 2011, 02:13 PM
Reminds me of the stupid reflective belts military have to wear overseas...

altitude_19
December 30, 2011, 02:14 PM
And why not a couple more for laughs...

CZguy
December 30, 2011, 03:14 PM
Sorry, I've been at Wal-mart looking for one of these banners. They don't have them.

They'll be in stock next week...........clever Chinese. ;)

Reminds me of the stupid reflective belts military have to wear overseas...

I still dislike those reflective belts, and I've been out since 03.

mgkdrgn
December 31, 2011, 01:27 PM
And I thought the "CCW Badge" was the most ridiculous thing I ever saw ...

... but then I'll bet the mall ninja's will just eat this up.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do think about the CCW Banner ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!