Help me replace my stock on my A2 20" barrel...

PDA

SilentStalker
December 25, 2011, 03:38 AM
What are my options on replacing the standard stock on the old A2? I assume I am going to need a new tube and spring as well...

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me replace my stock on my A2 20" barrel..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MistWolf
December 25, 2011, 04:44 AM
Replace the stock with what? A collapsible carbine stock? A PRS stock?

If going with a collapsible carbine stock, you need to change the receiver extension to a type that accepts carbine stocks.

The most common is the carbine length receiver extension that requires the use of a carbine length buffer and carbine length action spring.

The second option is to use the VLTOR A5 receiver extension which uses a special buffer (shorter than a rifle buffer, longer than a carbine buffer) and a standard rifle length spring.

The carbine length extension is more common and uses commonly available carbine buffers and springs.

The A5 is more forgiving, uses the same spring as the A2 stock as it's rifle length, but requires a proprietary buffer only available from VLTOR. Nearly everyone who tries the A5 likes it.

Regardless if you choose carbine or A5, your rifle will still shoot good. I run a carbine length extension and an UBR stock on my 20" rifle. It's a little heavy but it's very solid and has a more comfortable cheekweld than my CTR stock
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Build/DSC_0196.jpg

madcratebuilder
December 25, 2011, 07:30 AM
Like MistWolf said, you can use anything you like as long as you use the correct RE, buffer and spring. Arfcom has a dedicated section for the A2, good reading.

SilentStalker
December 26, 2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I will read up and check into that stock. As far as what I was wanting to do I was looking for something that was a good stock, something solid and adjustable! I an also thinking of upgrading the trigger a bit, changing the grip, and some other things like that. This is an old standard preban bushy A2 that I purchased from someone not too long ago and I am just now getting around to really checking it out and making it mine.

RCArms.com
December 28, 2011, 03:50 AM
Personally I like the plain-jane shorter A1 Buttstock on a 20" barrel, but that's just me. The cheekweld suits my shooting style well and it's a comfortable stock for my 6'7" frame.

Don

Tirod
December 28, 2011, 11:20 AM
I went A1 on my build. The issue is how you take a stance. More traditional target and hunting methods have the shooter turned more to 90 degrees, with the rifle positioned across the chest when standing. That allows for a longer stock to work, even shooting nose to the charging handle. Works in the prone, too.

The modern combat method is to present the armor plate square to the threat, which requires a lot shorter stock. So does bench rest shooting, when the table forces you to address the gun from the rear. Then a shorter stock works.

Most precision rifles use fixed stocks, the adjustable "sniper" stocks aren't necessarily shorter or lighter, which a combat user would need. Grips are a simple matter of preference, but don't work the same as they do for a pistol. The trigger hand doesn't support the rifle much at all, it's the off hand and shoulder. What does happen with a twisted or awkward grip is to pressure the receiver and create torque, which affects keeping the sights vertical and how recoil is absorbed. Custom sniper grips are fitted to prevent it, not create even more problems. Filing the bump off the A2 seems to help a lot of shooters reduce the problems, and changing the angle helps the CQB shooter to adopt a less cramped wrist position.

Once tested out and optimized, a two position stock would do most of it, same for a two angle grip. It's about accommodating two different types of shooting and the stance needed for them. Or, realizing that unless you wear an armor vest and plate carrier to begin with, the traditional fixed stock is the best overall design.

wnycollector
December 28, 2011, 11:31 AM
Personally I like the plain-jane shorter A1 Buttstock

+1 on this. All but one of my half dozen AR's sport A1 stocks. The one that doesn't, has an ACE ARFX without the 1/2" thick rubber recoil pad, making it A1 length:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me replace my stock on my A2 20" barrel..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!