Who is this celebrity?

PDA

hso
December 25, 2011, 09:54 AM
http://p.twimg.com/AgBAsdyCIAAg29d.jpg:large

If you enjoyed reading about "Who is this celebrity?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lowerunit411
December 25, 2011, 09:56 AM
alton brown

Matt Smith
December 25, 2011, 09:58 AM
It looks like Alton Brown from the food network.

MrCleanOK
December 25, 2011, 09:58 AM
That's Alton Brown. He has a long-running cooking show called "Good Eats" on Food network. He also hosts a few other programs as well. I think his show is pretty good, he teaches practical cooking, and makes it interesting by teaching it with science. Alton is pretty cool, and a legitimate gun guy.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

tubeshooter
December 25, 2011, 10:07 AM
Yep, Alton Brown. Sometimes they call him "AB".

His Good Eats show is great. He also had a show where he rode a motorcycle to different locales and featured the local cuisine. Seems like a good guy.

hso
December 25, 2011, 10:13 AM
Yep, knife collector as well. Our sort of foodie.

floorit76
December 25, 2011, 10:41 AM
Someone tell me a little about that weapon please.

SpentCasing
December 25, 2011, 12:06 PM

Looks like a SCAR.

303tom
December 25, 2011, 12:13 PM
It`s the professor, you know Doc Brown........

LiquidTension
December 25, 2011, 12:46 PM
That's really cool, I didn't realize he was a shooter. I like his shows.

ny32182
December 25, 2011, 01:46 PM
SCAR 17S, with all that stuff on it; depending on the scope I'd say he probably has well north of $5k in that setup.

N003k
December 25, 2011, 01:49 PM
Me and my fiancťe watch his shows all the time, never knew he was a shooter though, now I REALLY would love to meet him!

Deanimator
December 25, 2011, 01:49 PM
I guess that encounter with the giant squid really spooked him... :D

Ringolevio
December 25, 2011, 02:16 PM
'Never heard of the guy. And "Brown" is a pretty common name. But, given what he's holding, I'm wondering if he's any kin to Lt. Col. Robt. K. Brown (of SOF Magazine); or am I just imagining a facial resemblance?

3daman!
December 25, 2011, 02:37 PM
The guy also travels the country touring on a motorscooter. BMW, if I remember right! Met him in N.C. 3-4 years ago.

trickyric
December 25, 2011, 02:49 PM
The guy is a cooking show legend. He also host Iron Chef. I love this guy!

longhair75
December 25, 2011, 03:09 PM
I have been using some of his recipes for years. I made his mac and cheese for dinner last Wednesday.

Deanimator
December 25, 2011, 03:10 PM
Never heard of the guy.
He's the successor to Graham "The Galloping Gourmet" Kerr, only with an early '70s "Doctor Who" production budget instead of a local cable access show production budget. He's hysterically funny. I hate cooking, but I can watch him all day.

I learned how to make decent coffee from watching his show, which has moved from the Food Network to the Cooking Channel, although reruns are still on the Food Network.

Mikee Loxxer
December 25, 2011, 03:25 PM
I knew Brown was cool, but this just drives his coolness over the top.

GEM
December 25, 2011, 04:11 PM
He had a neat food tour on some heavy duty motorcycles.

I thought he might be a gun guy from his knife display. He once went mushroom hunting and whipped out a Spyderco Police model to harvest them. Hmm?

Then on his motorcycle show, he displayed some evil Benchmade tac knife to cut up some grub and ate it at knife point - said don't try this at home.

You know the food shows can be very gun friendly.

Anthony Bourdain has shot full auto in Cambodia with Ted Nugent, shot a hog, plinked and hunted. Ming Tsai - awhile ago, went birding and explain his semiauto shotgun. Anthony Zimmern hunted and went to Dillon and blazed away with a minigun.

Way to go Alton!

So, no one can mock my other hobby of fine cheese. I'm eating my way through the ACS award winners. I cut a piece at work with my tac knife! :D

bigfatdave
December 25, 2011, 04:17 PM
That's Alton Brown, a Beard-award winning author as well as the host of the best cooking show ever.

The picture was posted on his twitter feed a few weeks back.

Blind Dog Jake
December 25, 2011, 05:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alton_Brown

A little info on Alton

cleardiddion
December 25, 2011, 06:00 PM
That's pretty cool, not gonna lie

Tim the student
December 25, 2011, 07:32 PM
I'm a foodie, and I thought he was cool before I saw this pic.

He needs a new hat though, it looks a bit tight on his melon.

Ringolevio
December 25, 2011, 10:33 PM
Deanimator:
Quote:
"Never heard of the guy."

He's the successor to Graham "The Galloping Gourmet" Kerr, only with an early '70s "Doctor Who" production budget instead of a local cable access show production budget. He's hysterically funny. I hate cooking, but I can watch him all day.

I guess I'm "culturally deprived"; I don't have cable TV. I haven't watched any of the current food/cooking shows. 'Sounds as if I'm really missing something (seriously).

But I certainly used to get a kick out of Graham Kerr. And, speaking of "celebrity chefs/cooks" also being firearms enthusiasts, I'd gar-on-tee that the late Justin Wilson ("The Cookin' Cajun") knew which end of the tube the round came out of!

Fishslayer
December 26, 2011, 01:40 AM

Needs more tactical accessories. The VFG combined with bipod is a good start but I see lots of room for improvement...:D

ShawnC
December 26, 2011, 06:12 AM
You're all wrong. That's William H. Macy. :neener:

Stevie-Ray
December 26, 2011, 08:27 PM
Alton Brown is my favorite chef on the food channel, has been for years. This little tidbit that I really didn't know, is simply the icing on the cake. (ar-ar-ar)

k-frame
December 27, 2011, 12:48 PM
At first I also thought it William H. Macy but yup, it's Alton. :)

He's a pilot as well. Not sure what he flies routinely but I've seen him (on TV) at the controls of what looked like a Cessna 172.

He retired Good Eats but I believe he will produce other shows.

His site is simply http://AltonBrown.com.

GEM
December 27, 2011, 01:32 PM
Interesting viewpoint from his blog - sound like our kind of guy:

Please donít block my exit. One time on a commercial flight a guy blocked the aisle and didnít want to let anyone deplane until I signed something for him. My lizard-like brain interpreted this behavior as a threat. Luckily an air marshal was on the flight and stepped in just as I was considering a range of actions, any of which would probably have resulted in my being barred from future commercial flights.

Paris
December 27, 2011, 01:48 PM
AB rocks. Love his shows. Good Eats speaks for itself. The lesser known Feasting on Asphalt and Feasting on Waves are also excellent.

AB is one of the last, great TV personalities that isn't faked or been created. It's just a guy, making shows. The guy you see is actually who he is.

rabbit11
December 27, 2011, 09:27 PM
His shows rock! He flies either a Cessna 206 "Stationair" which is a single engine 6 place. (that would look like a 172 to most non pilot people), or a Cessna 414A Chancellor which is a pressurized twin engine.

He was recently featured in an article in the AOPA Magazine for pilots, as he is using an iPad instead of paper charts.

Use his recipes all the time. Had no idea he was into guns and knives.

LibShooter
December 27, 2011, 10:02 PM
Before starring on a cooking show Alton was a cinematographer and Steadicam operator. He rides motorcycles and flies planes. Now I see he's a shooter, too. Sounds like a real gear head. No wonder my wife thinks I have a man-crush on him.

Too bad Good Eats is out of production. Guy Fieri's "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is pretty good, though. He has a sweet '67 Camaro.

jerkface11
December 27, 2011, 11:00 PM
On the gelatin episode he went to a shooting range to show ballistic gelatin stop a bullet.

Automag88
December 27, 2011, 11:51 PM
I usually hate watching cooking shows but maybe I'll have to check his out

fast eddie
December 28, 2011, 12:11 AM
Wow, I had no idea; I've got a number of his recipes in my book. A shooter and a pilot no less. I'm a much bigger fan now.

Another TV food guy who wields a gun is Andrew Zimmern of Bizzare Foods. I don't know if he's a gun guy per se but I've seen episodes where he shoots his own meat; deer, birds, etc.

JSpear
December 28, 2011, 12:56 AM
That's just an awesome thing to know about him, he's one of the guys that got me into cooking, cool he's also a shooter!

VT Deer Hunter
December 28, 2011, 02:08 PM
That's really cool, I didn't realize he was a shooter. I like his shows.
Same here!

HOOfan_1
December 28, 2011, 02:35 PM
Love his show, but would never have thought he was a gun guy. That is awesome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who is this celebrity?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!