6.5x55 swede experts - question

PDA

chutestrate
December 25, 2011, 07:28 PM
I just picked up a sporterized rifle with a military stock. I'm very pleased with the accuracy and lack of recoil. I find that the military stock is too short so what would be a recommended replacement stock, or should I add a rubber stock pad? What are the game limits for the cartridge? I read moose are taken, but really? I'm not interested in the collectibility, but rather in it's use as a hunting tool.

If you enjoyed reading about "6.5x55 swede experts - question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasPatriot.308
December 25, 2011, 07:36 PM
I cant answer for the military 6.5 rifles cause I understand they are not designed to handle the newer, hotter ammo. I do know my Tikka T3 in 6.5 x 55 has taken some very big hogs, dropped them in their tracks with body shots and massive internal damage, again, not much recoil. then again I am using some pretty hot loads in it. I love this caliber. I've heard they are used for Scandanavian moose which are still a large animal.

Float Pilot
December 25, 2011, 09:26 PM
You did not include a photo of the butt area of the stock.
I collect Swede Mauser rifle and shoot them regularly. Plus I hunt with them occasionally. Plus I shoot other rifles in the same chambering.

The old small ring Swede Mausers m/94-m/96 and m/38s are not as strong as the later M-98 Mauser series.

The 6.5 x 55 mm Swede has a slightly larger cartridge head than the 308, 30-06, 7x57mm and 8x57mm. That is because the cartridge was actually developed by a committee between Sweden and Norway , before they started looking for someone to design a rifle around it.

SO... US made ammo and PMC stuff has an undersized case head which causes to to stretch between reloading. The best brass is Lapua which can be reloaded 12 times with ease. (Because it is the right size to begin with)

They make aftermarket hunting and target type stocks for the Swede Mauser and your issue stock may be worth something to Swede collectors like myself as long as it does not get buggered up.

The Swede Mausers are generally capable of shooting sub MOA groups with the right ammo.

The Swedes shoot moose with the 6.5x55 all the time and I have used mine for large game as well. The 156-150 grains round nose bullets kill like you would not believe.

Canuck-IL
December 25, 2011, 09:32 PM
Float Pilot

Excuse a slight thread dirft - does Priv brass share the same issue as US cases? I just picked up an M96 and plan to load for it - I figured to start the brass pile with some loaded Prvi.

Thanks in advance
/Bryan

Float Pilot
December 26, 2011, 05:33 PM
I do not know.
I have not shot any Privi.
I have tried shooting and reloading some weird Croatian (or was it Bosnian?) ammo called Igmann. Boy that stuff was real junk. I am lucky I did not loose an eye.

The best place to ask would be at the Swede Rifle collectors site on Gun Boards.
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?49-Swedish-Military-Firearms-Forum
Just don't mention sporterizing a real Swede Mauser there... They (we) get all bent out of shape.
Although there is a civilian- Hunting Swede rifle collector site right below it with many of the same people.

I know there are a couple guys there who use Privi brass. I only use Lapua brass for the 6.5 Swede. Some I have reloaded 15 times.

Canuck-IL
December 26, 2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the response ... I'll likely get a 100 Prvi while I save the coin for the Lapua (new toy - gotta go try it out!). I did find a few reports around the rumornet that the Prvi has a larger head diameter than the typical US fodder.

...and mine won't be getting sporterized.
/B

VenisonGitr
December 26, 2011, 09:18 PM
I have reloaded the przi stuff without note. I should note that i am not as militant as many reloaders, just stick to the basics.

My M96 was sporterized before i got it, and it has a cheap butler creek type stock. It works fine, i duracoated the stock. Very comfortable as a hunting rifle. Also i recommend the aftermarket trigger/ safety from midway. It was about $40-50 and gives you a crisp trigger, but more over a remington 700 style safety which does not interfere with a scope like the top flip original style safety.

lonniemike
December 27, 2011, 12:07 AM
Canuck, Ditto on everything Float says. Over the years I've collected/shot plenty of non US manufactured Swede stuff. I've shot and reloaded plenty of nny headstamped brass. I bought this ammo some years ago as Hanson ammo before the disintergation of Yugoslovia. It is in Prvi boxes. I've not had/bought any of the Igman ammo but I think that I read the Igman stuff had undersized/offcenter flash holes. Having plenty of Norma and other ammo on hand along with many empty brass including the 1000 pieces of Lapua does give me a warm fuzzy glow.
Back to Prvi Partizan, my rims are .478-9" just as the Swede mil brass. Three sources of nny headstamped brass, a Prvi box, Centry box,and F and M box, all SP ammo, were milder than Swede surplus or US/Rem/Win. My old PMC was a little warmer but not as hot as the Norma. I was suprized and had to measure my two types of PMC brass. And they do approx US brass specs. I own no US brass, not that it is bad brass. I just never bought any. I prefer the usually slightly warmer European commercial loads available for the Swede. I've yet to see any manufacturer say not to use their commercial ammo in a 96 action.
Chutestrate,
back to your OP. Your Swede will hunt whatever you point it at. Ramline and Butler Creek come to mind for stocks. Is yours a reweld or a bend on the handle? I've a Kimber. It came with a reweld in a Ramilne. What ever you can hit and keep on a 9" paper plate. As you back away you'll miss and you'll have found your past maximum range. Really Moose. Remington's phone rep told me that they reccommend using up their ammo before it is ten years old. Norma's web said that their ammo should be used up in less than fifteen years as it may go bad in twenty years or so. My bad old Norma ammo still pushes a 156grn bullet about 2350fps in the 22" Kimber and 2550fps in the 29" military model. FWIW, just about everyone including me will tell you not to load up to Norma's levels.AlltheBest

Canuck-IL
December 27, 2011, 07:30 AM
Lonnie
Thanks for the assurance on the Prvi.

VenisonG
Would you happen to have a link for the trigger? I've found a number of k98 triggers and a couple for Swedes but all are listed as "without safety" - they're all Timney.

Thanks
/B

Gunnerboy
December 27, 2011, 07:41 PM
Well i just filled my elk tag with a 6.5x55 so does that anwser your question?

Fullboar1
December 27, 2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the response ... I'll likely get a 100 Prvi while I save the coin for the Lapua (new toy - gotta go try it out!). I did find a few reports around the rumornet that the Prvi has a larger head diameter than the typical US fodder.

While its true you can't beat the Lapua brass, if I am reloading for a cartridge and I don't wont to spend the money buying Lapua brass I usually buy Winchester brass (I usually buy a couple of hundred rounds of factory ammo and use that brass). Although there is better brass on the market then Winchester I find Winchester makes some of the most consistent brass you can buy (My father and I both reload Winchester brass in 6.5x55).

Float Pilot
December 27, 2011, 09:16 PM
Winchester is not bad since it is soft enough to expand without cracking like the crappy Remington brass. But it is still undersized (SEE PHOTO) and expands in the wrong place, thus it wears out sooner than Lapua. Since I win matches with my Swede Mausers I figure it is worth the extra cost for Lapua. Since it re-loads twice as many times as Winchester.

Canuck-IL
December 27, 2011, 10:54 PM
I notice that last 2 product reviews on Midway decry a decline in the quality of the Lapua brass ... at least per those reviews, the QC is not what it used to be ... ? Any credence you can lend to that noption?

Thanks
/B

chutestrate
December 27, 2011, 11:04 PM
Gunnerboy, guess that puts my question to rest.

Baba Louie
December 28, 2011, 12:48 AM
Well i just filled my elk tag with a 6.5x55 so does that anwser your question?Specifics man, specifics. Distance, time o day, round used, rifle, scope, temp, elevation, barometric pressure (j/k) etc.

Don't really need the specific info, just love anecdotal input on the 6.5 SE. Hella cartridge. Target or game. Bordering perfection. Seriously. Compare and/or contrast it to the .30-06 or 8mm (OK 7,92x57) and I think the Swedes/Norge got it right the first time.

Then again, other than the Finns using a few 96 in their effort against the Russkies, never been battle tested per se... but does a number on Elk (Swedes call their moose "Elg", the Elk "Stag" and their little furry rodent that cats love to catch, mus (pronounced moose)... or so I read from Col. Cooper IIRC.

vaupet
December 28, 2011, 08:36 AM
I use Sellier & Bellot ammo, 140 grs FMJ without a problem (I don't reload) in my original 1909 Carl Gustav.
S&B has 7 different 6.5x55 bullet types and loadings available.

scotjute
December 28, 2011, 10:55 AM
I hunted with the short straight-bolt M96 and open sights. Found the 23" barrrell and mil stock ok for taking thru the woods. The longer 29" barrells were too long for me to carry thru brush effectively. If stock is too short, I'd recommend figuring out how much more stock you need and go with the rubber recoil pad if that will get you there. Mine has been deadly on deer in the 100 yd. + range. Never tried further.
I had one sporterized and used a Monte Carlo laminated stock which I love (and is longer than the mil-issue), but don't remember the brand.
Use S&B 140 grn ammo. Prefer the standard military trigger.
As far as being battle-tested, the Finns used around 10-15,000 of these rifle in their war with Russia. No bad reports surfaced of their ability, and who won the war? Of course, there are nay-sayers who will say this really wasn't a test.

Float Pilot
December 28, 2011, 04:25 PM
Not only did the Swedes lend the Finns a bunch of rifles, carbines and machine guns in 6.5x55mm,,,,
But the Swedes also had " Volunteer Battalions" who went to fight in Finland against the Russians during the Winter War and during the Continuation War. (Possibly also during the Finnish Civil War in 1918-1920 when the commies tried to take Finland as well. )
They were in full Swedish combat gear with another patch sewn on their uniform.
German troops also fought in Finland against the Soviets during the Continuation war.

VenisonGitr
December 28, 2011, 08:50 PM
The link for the trigger:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/679486/bold-optima-rifle-trigger-mauser-94-96-with-side-safety-2-to-4-lb

So far great, only wish there were more of a positive "click" to being safe, but it works great. This will require notching your stock, which i did with a dremel, but could easily be done with a file. No complaints here.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/679486/bold-optima-rifle-trigger-mauser-94-96-with-side-safety-2-to-4-lb

Canuck-IL
December 28, 2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks much ... don't know why it didn't come up earlier but Midway's new web design seems to make searches more of an adventure than they used to be.
/B

gunner69
December 29, 2011, 12:01 AM
Years ago I bought my son a Swede sporterized Kimber M-38, Aus Jena Zies scope, when he turned 15 years old. With the 140gr pill his rifle never fails to shoot sub MOA. It has taken deer and hogs efficiently each and every shot.

I bought a Remington 700 Classic in 6.5x55....... it would never group worth a ****. Had a gunsmith friend rechamber it to 6.5x284 and now it shoots 1" or better.

Went to a gunshow several years back and there was another M-38 Sporter....... I had to know...... Bought it and converted it to cock on opening. Added a Burris scope and it, and on a clear day, it will put most 140gr bullets in one hole if I do my part. Both the M-38 Swede's seem to like the heavier bullets. I reload and NEVER load hot, hell you don't need to. The ballistic coefficiency of the 6.5 (.260 caliber)bullet is amazing, it kills beyond belief.

You made a great choice enjoy your rifle. Trivia..... the .260 Remington was made to duplicate the 6.5x55 Swede.:D:D:D

cavemanforester
December 31, 2011, 12:00 AM
Dont go with the Ramline stock! My Kimber/m96 Swede is finally shooting now that I stiffened the forearm with pieces of arrow shafts abd jb weld. Love the swede though. I now shoot it more than my other guns.

snakeman
December 31, 2011, 12:18 AM
I would just put a slip on on the thing and go kill a deer.

303tom
January 1, 2012, 02:47 PM
I just picked up a sporterized rifle with a military stock. I'm very pleased with the accuracy and lack of recoil. I find that the military stock is too short so what would be a recommended replacement stock, or should I add a rubber stock pad? What are the game limits for the cartridge? I read moose are taken, but really? I'm not interested in the collectibility, but rather in it's use as a hunting tool.
I am going to put my 2 cents in here, what makes you think that rifle is sporterized. The pictures are not that good, can we see one of the entire rifle, because it looks to me like you have a m/38 or a m/96-38 or a m/41 with a scope on it.....

CB900F
January 1, 2012, 08:11 PM
Chute;

I hunt whatever I want to with the Swede. Notice I live in Montana. The cartridge will put a 140 grain bullet through a brick wall at a hundred yards. It has an enviable combination of both a high ballistic coefficient and an outstanding sectional density. My gun is on a Tikka left hand action, & is capable of flinging the Sierra Gamekings a bit faster than you might be wantin' to do with a milsurp gun.

My gun is capable of shooting itty-bitty groups with hunting ammuntion that I load myself. There is joy in my safe and beer in my fridge.

900F

If you enjoyed reading about "6.5x55 swede experts - question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!