Winchester .223 cxp4 ammo?

PDA

wlemay
December 26, 2011, 02:41 AM
So I got a box of 55gr .223 cxp1 ammo by Winchester, I was looking on the back of the box and it had a chart of performance capabilities & recommended game.

The cxp1 is rated for "varmints" it's properties are "Rapid expansion or fragmentation on impact" the game it is recommended for is from prairie dogs to coyote's.

The box also had a chart that included the properties for cxp2, 3, and 4.

Interestingly the cxp4 is rated for "extra large, dangerous African game" it's properties are: "Built to penetrate thick, extra tough hide, heavy bone and powerful muscle tissue" The recommended game: "Ideal for game such as Cape buffalo and elephant."

This kind of intrigues me... a .223 round made for killing elephant? I mean I'm sure it's possible but is this a serious claim? has anyone had any experience with cxp4 ammo? I mean I hear people scoff at killing deer with a .223 but what about elephant!?!?!?!?

Could you guys please elaborate, I love learning about ballistics & the such... especially about .223 ammo made for elephants.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester .223 cxp4 ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
David G.
December 26, 2011, 03:59 AM
Maybe cxp1 ammo is .223, cxp2 is something like .243, cxp3 is .308, cxp4 is .375 H&H or something along those lines where the higher number corresponds to a more powerful round altogether? Are you sure it had cxp4 as .223?

Just my completely uneducated guess.

Willfully Armed
December 26, 2011, 04:49 AM
That's just a proprietary scale to suggest what uses a certain ammo would be ideal for.

For all their calibers, not one specific caliber.

I accidentally purchased a box of cxp3 175gr 7mm RM. 3 shots on paper and I was done shooting. Those mothers HURT to shoot!

wlemay
December 26, 2011, 03:59 PM
Figures...

The chart does not specify what caliber the "cxp" is; so I assumed they were all in .223 since this is written on the back of a .223 box.

I kind of had a feeling they were different calibers but it's always good to check with the guys here.

Lex Luthier
December 26, 2011, 04:41 PM
Are they green or red tipped?

Davek1977
December 27, 2011, 06:38 AM
The "CXP scale" is just Winchester's "bullet guide for dummies" so to speak, using certain basic parameters such as weight retention and penetration to help the novice select a bullet thats appropriate for the game they are hunting. Not every category of "CXP" is available in every caliber. You won't find a .223 CXP4 round, just like you wouldn't find a CXP1 available in .458 Winchester Mag. Its simply a marketing tool to help select the right bullet for the job, as an attempt to eliminate such errors as using rapidly fragmenting varmint bullets on animals such as elk and deer. This is especially important when a rifle is chambered in a "dual" or "multi" use caliber. A couple of examples being he .243 and the 25-06. These rifles commonly pull double duty as both deer and varmint rifles. However, the best choice of bullet is drastically different for the two purposes, something that may not be known by the novice hunter

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester .223 cxp4 ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!