Whats your sizing lube?

PDA

solman
December 26, 2011, 03:40 AM
I have been using the Hornady one shot for rifle brass since I started reloading a long time ago. I was wondering what others are using as I find the One Shot easy and convienient to use, but maybe lacking a little in getting the job done. Some brass in the bunch will always give me a hard time and once in a rare while you get one stuck in the die. Maybe it my technique and need to lube more generously. I usually lay out the brass on a tray and lube and then shake them around a bit and lube again. Wait a few minuets and begin. Whats your method?

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats your sizing lube?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Willfully Armed
December 26, 2011, 03:42 AM
One shot.

thump_rrr
December 26, 2011, 04:20 AM
Dillon case lube beats anything else hands down when it comes to sizeing large quantities.
I know because I tried them all and got cases stuck with all the others.
Dillon case lube is made of anhydrous lanolin and isopropyl alcohol.
You can make it yourself for a fraction of the cost of buying it.
Just mix 10% lanolin to 90% isopropyl alcohol shake and spray.
When purchasing isopropyl alcohol always purchase 98-99% pure since it contains virtually no water.
Just a word of caution no smoking or open flames near isopropyl alcohol since it is extremely flammable.

For lubrication of individual cases I use Imperial Sizing Wax or Hornady Unique.

ArchAngelCD
December 26, 2011, 04:41 AM
Imperial Sizing Wax is probably the best sizing lube ever made. A little goes a very long way and it wipes off easily with a rag.

thump_rrr
December 26, 2011, 04:49 AM
Imperial Sizing Wax is probably the best sizing lube ever made. A little goes a very long way and it wipes off easily with a rag.
I just sized and trimmed 6000 .223 cases using the Dillon rotary trimmer in my Hornady LnL AP Progressive press this weekend between rounds of turkey.
That's where the Dillon lube really pays off over imperial sizing wax.

solvability
December 26, 2011, 05:01 AM
Ballistol

777TRUTH
December 26, 2011, 05:58 AM
RCBS case slick right now.

I'm not a One Shot fan but I am looking forward to trying the Frankford Arsenal case sizing lube. I've heard good things about it.

777TRUTH
December 26, 2011, 06:01 AM
solvability, does Ballistol contaminate powder/primers?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
December 26, 2011, 06:43 AM
RCBS case lube in a RCBS lube die. About as convenient as it gets for sizing on a progressive.

USSR
December 26, 2011, 07:58 AM
Imperial Sizing Die Wax for bottle-neck rifle cartridges for sure. The only thing One Stuck, er, I mean One Shot, is good for is handgun cases with carbide dies.

Don

cfullgraf
December 26, 2011, 08:06 AM
RCBS case lube or Imperial sizing wax for bottle neck cases. I have an RCBS Lube die but have not used it much yet to sort out any problems.

I use One Shot with my 30 Carbine cases but find it wasteful. You do need to wait a while for the carrier to flash off otherwise it does not "lube" very well.

I do not find One Shot useful with bottle neck cases.

I do not lubricate cases that get resized in carbide dies. I understand why folks do it but I don't feel like doing the extra step. But then I do other things that spend extra time that others don't.

beatledog7
December 26, 2011, 08:06 AM
One-Shot or Lyman lube. Mica powder for inside case necks.

springer99
December 26, 2011, 08:22 AM
+1 One-Shot. It works well for me on bottle-neck and straight-walled pistol cases. Haven't had a dented neck since I switched to this lube.

On the pistol cases, I only use it on about 1 in 5-7 cases, as I use carbide dies for those.

Kevin Rohrer
December 26, 2011, 08:23 AM
Imperial Sizing Wax and their Dry Neck Lube

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0689.jpg

Walkalong
December 26, 2011, 08:42 AM
Imperial, & RCBS Case Lube II

243winxb
December 26, 2011, 08:46 AM
RCBS with Lube pad, nylon brush for the neck lube & cleaning.

Blue68f100
December 26, 2011, 09:22 AM
Imperial Sizing wax if your sizing large calibers like 7mm Rem Mag. I use their Neck Sizing Dry lube too. All of my reloading is on a LNL-AP. If at any time the case gets hard to size you did not use enough. Back out and re-lube and go again. After awhile you will know what your looking for.

I have looked at the RCBS Lube die and would wager that if you had a lot to load on a AP it would be the ticket. Not sure how it would take the larger cases though.

I started with the RCBS pad and Lube 35+yrs ago. Did not like the sticky gooey mess. Don't know what there newer stuff is like.

Muddydogs
December 26, 2011, 09:33 AM
Started many years ago with the RCBS pad and there sticky lube also. When the case lube 2 came out I purchased some and pitched the old sticky stuff. Still use the case lube 2 and don't see any reason to switch. Definatly not going to pay what they want for one shot.

Jdillon
December 26, 2011, 09:35 AM
+1 for Dillon Case Lube when FL sizing and Redding Imperial Wax when neck sizing rifle cases. One shot is fine for straight wall cases but have had a few stuck bottle neck cases.

MtnCreek
December 26, 2011, 09:53 AM
Dillon spray lube for large batch and Hornady Unique for small batch and tough sizing jobs. Also use H Unique on leather and have used it on long wood screws (3.5" wood screws are tough to install !).

Just mix 10% lanolin to 90% isopropyl alcohol shake and spray.
What’s a good source for these ingredients?
Thanks!

FROGO207
December 26, 2011, 09:55 AM
I am basically cheap and so make my own spray lube. I use 98% isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin. There are several descriptions of how to do it here in the reloading forum. For reforming I use Imperial sizing wax if it will be difficult and the spray will not work. FWIW I have used mustache wax, bees wax, PAM, STP, motor oil, hair styling wax, liquid Alox, silicone spray, wax from an old toilet seal, various paste waxes, and others I have long forgotten. They all worked passably and when removed from the brass did not harm the fished round. The wax based lubes worked the best but were more difficult to remove. Some did crud up the sizing die and it needed cleaning after. So use what you already have on hand or get the special stuff, whatever works better for you.:)

CMV
December 26, 2011, 10:06 AM
I use the RCBS Case Lube 2. It seems ok. I like it because its water soluble. I clean in an ultrasonic with a water solution and it washes right away. For all I know EVERY brand is this way since I'm a newb, but I think a some are oil based.

I only got a 2 oz bottle & have well over half left after FL resize on 1,000 pieces of brass.

Only thing I don't like is that it's really hard to squeeze out of the bottle - seems to be just a little thicker than it needs to be.

Ares45
December 26, 2011, 11:00 AM
One Shot. Just went and looked it up. 6,700 rifle rounds without a stuck case or dent. Wax in a tin can or on some stamp pad is ridiculous. It would take me half an hour to lube 100 cases. Over in 30 seconds with one shot.

shooter_from_show-me
December 26, 2011, 11:06 AM
Imperial Sizing Wax and their Dry Neck Lube

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0689.jpg
Ditto:D

dprice3844444
December 26, 2011, 11:13 AM
i just spit on it

T Bran
December 26, 2011, 11:22 AM
I just keep a tiny bit of STP on the left hand which is the one that handles the cases. As I pick each one up they get a quick roll on the way to the press. Every few gets a thumb over the mouth to lube the neck. Never had one even resist resizing much less try to stick.
I used One Stuck when I first started and had problems so I just used what I had on hand happened to be STP. Still trying to find a use for the Hornandy stuff but it wont be on my brass. I am sure there are other great products out there but when something works well for me I dont tend to gamble on something new.
Troy

JohnM
December 26, 2011, 11:23 AM
Spit on what? The die with the stuck case in it? :)
I still use some RCBS lube on a pad for some cases.
And RCBS aerosol lube on layers of cases in a cardboard box when I have a lot to do.
Even that aerosol can is pretty economical, got no idea how many thousands of rounds it will take to use up that can.

James2
December 26, 2011, 11:59 AM
FWIW I have used mustache wax, bees wax, PAM, STP, motor oil, hair styling wax, liquid Alox, silicone spray, wax from an old toilet seal, various paste waxes, and others I have long forgotten.

I like this. I hate spending money if there are other options. One time I had ran out of lube and got to wondering what I had that may work. In the garage, there was the grease gun, it had high speed bearing grease in it, so I squirted some in small tin, and took it down to the reloading bench. It works very well. Probably not an option for a progressive, but excellent for sizing rifle casings on a single stage.

DM~
December 26, 2011, 12:05 PM
I use Imperial size wax, and every time i try something new, i wonder why i bothered! Even for HEAVY case forming, i haven't found anything as good as Imperial!

DM

Bmac1949
December 26, 2011, 12:13 PM
I rub a dab of Mink Oil on the case and use a bore brush to lube the inside of the case neck. I don't use a lube pad I just handle the cases with a little oil on my fingers.

50 Shooter
December 26, 2011, 12:20 PM
Add another person who uses Hornady's Unique case lube, every time I buy it someone says "that's the best kept secret in the business". Never had a stuck 50 BMG case using it and they're not easy to size when they're surplus brass.

res7s
December 26, 2011, 12:26 PM
I use Bag Balm. I dab a little in a big one gallon ziplock bag and roll the brass around in it. A little goes a long way.

FlyinBryan
December 26, 2011, 10:08 PM
imperial wax

Deavis
December 26, 2011, 10:48 PM
alcohol + lanolin

Metal Tiger
December 26, 2011, 10:50 PM
solvability, does Ballistol contaminate powder/primers?
Interesting question. Love Ballistol as a press lube.

Case lube here is the Dillon spray stuff.

Arkansas Paul
December 26, 2011, 11:09 PM
I hate spending money too James. That's why I use Imperial wax. Yep, it costs about $8 but I've loaded a couple thousand rounds and you can't even tell it's been used, so it's so cheap it's crazy when talking about the number of rounds it will do.

twohightech
December 26, 2011, 11:38 PM
+1 alcohol + lanolin keeps the fingers nice and soft.....

thorn-
December 26, 2011, 11:39 PM
Alcohol & Lanolin. Very inexpensive, works great.

thorn

MtnCreek
December 27, 2011, 05:25 AM
Anybody care to share where they get the lanolin?
Thanks!

quartermaster
December 27, 2011, 07:43 AM
I also would be ineterested on where to get it

Muddydogs
December 27, 2011, 08:33 AM
I use the RCBS Case Lube 2. It seems ok. I like it because its water soluble. I clean in an ultrasonic with a water solution and it washes right away. For all I know EVERY brand is this way since I'm a newb, but I think a some are oil based.

I only got a 2 oz bottle & have well over half left after FL resize on 1,000 pieces of brass.

Only thing I don't like is that it's really hard to squeeze out of the bottle - seems to be just a little thicker than it needs to be.

I would say you are using way to much if you used a quarter to resize 1000 pieces. I have resized 10,000 + pieces of brass and I am still on the same bottle. Are you using a lube pad, if so just put a small zig zag trail on the pad, spread it around with a finger and lube cases. With 223 I get 2 rows of cases on the bad with larger calibers just one. After the lube pad is refresh it only takes a roll to lube the cases to start with, after a couple hundred are lubed you might have to roll the cases back and forth a couple times to get enough lube just pay attention to the sizing process and roll a little more when you feel them get sticky or harder to resize. Depending on the cases and temp I get about 1000 223 cases between pad recharges. I tend to push the pad at the end of a sizing session so the pad is some what dry for storage and the die doesn't have a lot of residual lube in it. I can still put in a sizer die and size a case or two without lube as there is still some in the die. I like my pad dryer at the end so if I need to lube a case or two during load work up they don't have as much lube on them and wide off easy. Some times you just need to size a case for what ever reason.

As for the hard to squeeze I would say its just cold? I don't have that problem with the Lube 2, now the first RCBS lube was nasty sticky stuff that you about had to put in a vise to get it to come out and in the winter you might as well slept with the bottle and carried it in your shorts to keep it warm enough.

longdayjake
December 27, 2011, 10:38 AM
For rifle stuff I use the giant $5 bottle of wire pulling lube that you can buy at home depot. For pistol I just use one shot.

jcwit
December 27, 2011, 10:47 AM
Anybody care to share where they get the lanolin?
Thanks!

Baby section at WalMart or Meijers. Women who are nursing use it.

HOWARD J
December 27, 2011, 10:51 AM
I use Lee resizing lube
Toss a couple hundred 223 cases in a bowl
Squeeze from tube onto your hand-rub hands together--run your hands thru shells --this will coat shells.
After resizing toss in tumbler & clean off lube.
Works good.
A tube will last me a couple years.

Lee Roder
December 27, 2011, 11:00 AM
Kiwi Mink Oil

MtnCreek
December 27, 2011, 11:04 AM
Baby section at WalMart or Meijers. Women who are nursing use it.

Thank You Sir!

LennieT
December 27, 2011, 11:29 AM
I am using Hornady One Shot Case Sizing Wax and it works great. Wondering if it is the same thing as Imperial wax and I am paying an additional buck for the Hornady name? There are no ingredients on the Hornady wax so I have no idea what it actually is. It is a very deep reddish brown color.

Currently only loading 223 in rifle calibers and the wax works great for those cases, don't know how it would work on larger brass. I just touch my left index finger to the wax about every fifth case, rub the wax between my finger and thumb and then start picking up brass to size. I do the same thing when sizing handgun brass except I touch the wax about every fifteenth case.

I tumble before sizing for a short period of time, tumble after sizing for a short period of time in old media to get the wax off and then tumble for several hours to clean and polish the brass.

Not sure if this wax would work if you were sizing on a progressive because you have to do something to get that wax off the brass.

I have tried the spray, put the cases in a plastic bag and sprayed in the bag and then shock the bag, worked OK but the wax just seems easier.

Lennie

kennedy
December 27, 2011, 09:54 PM
I also use Lee, I cut it with water, pour it in a baggy of cases, close it and toss and squish together pour it out on a newspaper and let it dry, size and wipe off with a towel. I only use it for .223 and this gets it done fast.

psyshack
December 27, 2011, 10:18 PM
I also use the Lee stuff. It works very good for me. And with any sizing lube tiny amounts go a long way.

AABEN
December 27, 2011, 10:20 PM
Mid Way spray lub it works good.

Hummer70
December 28, 2011, 09:16 PM
Grease Auto and Artillery GAA military surplus or Grease Aircraft Wide Temperature Range WTR are both good for case sizing.

WTR is also known as Aeroshell 33 if anyone has a friend who is a aircraft mechanic. I have found the military grease at flea markets and on ebay.

P-32
December 28, 2011, 11:53 PM
Started many years ago with the RCBS pad and there sticky lube also. When the case lube 2 came out I purchased some and pitched the old sticky stuff. Still use the case lube 2 and don't see any reason to switch. Definatly not going to pay what they want for one shot.

Plus +1 RCBS case lube @ wipes off with a damp rag.

solman
December 29, 2011, 09:32 AM
Where do you get 99% alcohol and what is the mix ratio with the liquid lanolin. I found the Lanolin at the local health food store but have not yet found the Alcohol. I want to give this a try and see how it does.

solman

jcwit
December 29, 2011, 09:39 AM
Where do you get 99% alcohol and what is the mix ratio with the liquid lanolin. I found the Lanolin at the local health food store but have not yet found the Alcohol. I want to give this a try and see how it does.

Try Everclear at your local party store.

A Pause for the Coz
December 31, 2011, 12:18 AM
I started with the LEE tube that came in my kit. Then moved onto the RCBS case slick spray. Found that to be unacceptable. So far thats the only lube I have had to use my stuck case remover on. Plus you get a nasty build up on the cases and in the sizing die. Too many damaged shoulders on my 5.56mm brass.

Then went to RCBS Case lube2 and the mat. Still getting damaged shoulders.

Went back to using LEE stuff in the tube. never had a stuck case never had a damaged shoulder. use it wet or let it dry. leave it on over night if the wife makes you leave em. I dont know what it is, But the stuff just works.

I will try imperial wax when I come across it.

A Pause for the Coz
December 31, 2011, 12:33 AM
I use Lee resizing lube
Toss a couple hundred 223 cases in a bowl
Squeeze from tube onto your hand-rub hands together--run your hands thru shells --this will coat shells.
After resizing toss in tumbler & clean off lube.
Works good.
A tube will last me a couple years.
I am going to give that a try. i pretty much got it down to. Put a small dab on the index finger. Drag that finger from bottom to top of case to spread it in a thin line. Then twist the case between three fingers from top to bottom and done. About 5 seconds per case.

thorn-
December 31, 2011, 02:21 AM
I use ISO-Heet... I believe i bought it at pep boys, or autozone.

thorn

Missionary
December 31, 2011, 05:01 AM
Good morning
Down here south of the equater reloading is a challenge. I ration how many rounds I can fire a month. So my volumn is rather low. I use a minute smear of brake fluid on every other case as I am picking it up and running it into the sizer to get neck sized only (44-40). 38 Special get the same treatment.
Mike in Peru

res45
December 31, 2011, 09:04 AM
I use the Lee case lube in the tube,put a few dabs on the pad and roll ten cases at a time,a very light coat is all you need. I've used it for over 20 years and never stuck a case.

I have some imperial sizing wax and it works OK but for reforming bottle neck brass the Lee lube makes it so easy.

highlander 5
December 31, 2011, 09:58 AM
I've used several types of case lube over the last 40+ years of reloading. The first was the old style RCBS case lube,looked and smelled like STP and the only way to clean it was to take them into work and use the hot tank to clean it off. Next was the Lee lube that came in a tube,messy to use but it was easy to clean with hot water. Now I switch between One Shot,RCBS Case Lube 2 or Dillon case lube which ever is closest to my bench. Pistol cases,I don't use case lube as all my pistol and revolver dies are Tungsten or Titanium carbide so no need to lube.

JohnM
December 31, 2011, 10:21 AM
The new RCBS and the Dillon are both excellent.
After I've finished a resizing session all the cases get a ride in the tumbler for a clean up.

A Pause for the Coz
December 31, 2011, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=A Pause for the Coz;7838033]I am going to give that a try. i pretty much got it down to. Put a small dab on the index finger. Drag that finger from bottom to top of case to spread it in a thin line. Then twist the case between three fingers from top to bottom and done. About 5 seconds per case.
Howard you are a friggin genius!!! I can believe I didn't think of that.
I put 110 30-30 cases in a Ice cream bucket. Dabbed a glob of LEE sizer in my hand, rubbed them together. Then stuck my hands in the bucket and rolled the cases between my palms. Took me 30 seconds to lube 110 cases. Awesome

JohnM
December 31, 2011, 12:20 PM
I put 110 30-30 cases in a Ice cream bucket. Dabbed a glob of LEE sizer in my hand, rubbed them together. Then stuck my hands in the bucket and rolled the cases between my palms. Took me 30 seconds to lube 110 cases.

I can dump 4-500 30-30 size or so cases in a box lid, make a pass with RCBS Case Slick aerosol or Dillon pump bottle lube, do a swish of the cases with one hand to kinda roll them a little and hit them again with another quick spray and they're done.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats your sizing lube?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!